Thread: Some newbie questions on crafting

Default Some newbie questions on crafting

Hi all!

I'm new to this world and have some questions concerning crafting.

I want to craft metal armor as well as leather armor. Am I better off sticking to outfitter as a crafting school or should I work on armorer and tailer?

I read a very old post in this forum that mentioned that the number of formulas and spells one char can scribe is limited. Is that still true? And if so, is there a way to *forget* an already learned spell or formula?

I overheard a conversation where somebody said that advancing in crafting level lets you wear better armor than your class would be able to without that crafting level. Is that true? And if so, what level is needed for what armor?

I'm struggling with finding things needed for techniques. I know this great side (horizons.gamersinfo.net) that tells me what monsters drop the stuff I need, but I don't know where those monsters hang around. Is there any source that would help me with that? And on that topic... is there any good information source for crafting other than this forum, the wiki and the gamersinfo side by any chance?

It would be great if somebody could help me out on some of those questions.

Greetings

Shirna

Default Re: Some newbie questions on crafting

Quote Originally Posted by Shirna View Post
    I want to craft metal armor as well as leather armor. Am I better off sticking to outfitter as a crafting school or should I work on armorer and tailer?
    I personally would stick with outfitter. You will have to do a few extra levels to craft the gear the you need, but that's probably better than levelling two classes. Later after outfitter is 100/high level, go back and take those prestige classes to raise your skills higher.

I read a very old post in this forum that mentioned that the number of formulas and spells one char can scribe is limited. Is that still true? And if so, is there a way to *forget* an already learned spell or formula?
    I believe that cap was raised in the past, but either way, journeyman forms also contain all the beginner forms, and expert retains journeyman and below, which saves a lot of space. To delete a formula, you can probably just right-click->delete it, if not I think there should be a trashcan icon somewhere on the window that should achieve the same ends. Once you scribe a journeyman version of a formula, it should be safe to delete the beginner version.

I overheard a conversation where somebody said that advancing in crafting level lets you wear better armor than your class would be able to without that crafting level. Is that true? And if so, what level is needed for what armor?
    I believe that only applies to cloth armor, which is what craft classes can wear. Armor upgrades as far as I have seen occur at level 1, then 11, then 20, then 31 and so forth. Normal cloth would be level 1, 20, etc, padded is the upgraded version for 11, 31, etc.

I'm struggling with finding things needed for techniques. I know this great side (horizons.gamersinfo.net) that tells me what monsters drop the stuff I need, but I don't know where those monsters hang around. Is there any source that would help me with that?
    A mappack will add a bunch of markers to your ingame map so that you can find them. The ingame map also has a search function so you can actually find the marker you need. I believe the one I downloaded was here. Don't forget to change the text file it tells you to, otherwise your map just screws up and becomes fairly useless.

And on that topic... is there any good information source for crafting other than this forum, the wiki and the gamersinfo side by any chance?
    If you need information, especially in-depth information, about a specific class, I highly recommend contacting a member of that class ingame and asking for a moment of their time.

As a note, I generally play dragons, so if I'm wrong about any of the biped stuff, do correct me.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Thank you for the answers, Raptress. Very much appreciated.

I'm still worried about the formulas and spells. I am somewhat of a *gatherer*. So far I learned every formula, spell and technique I could lie hands on, no matter if I needed them or not. Just to have it.

I tried but couldn't delete a formula, so now I am really worried that my character at some point can't learn more useful stuff it needs. That of course would be really bad.

Does anybody know more specifics about the number of spells and formulas one can learn and/or about how to get rid of something already learned if that is possible?

When you tried deleting a formula, were you displaying them in 'show products' mode? Try it in formula mode. Pressing F ought to bring that up, otherwise just uncheck the 'show products' box.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Oh, yes, that was the problem. Now it worked.

Thank you very much!

Don't delete too much . It will take a long time before your spell book is full. Wait till then before you start deleting.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Oh no, of course not. I am gathering new once now. Just wanted to be sure I won't get stuck at some point for not being able to add shiny new recipes.

Spellbook is limited.
    I don't think the Formulas are. At least I haven't reached a max on them.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

Don't delete too much . It will take a long time before your spell book is full. Wait till then before you start deleting.
    It's actually a good practice (generally) to delete previous formulas once you scribe the next tier... in other words, once you scribe Journeyman Scalemail Breastplate, delete Beginner Scalemail Breastplate.

It may seem unnecessary on the surface to keep your formula book tidy, but there's a very simple game mechanic behind it: your character's load times are directly related to how much downloadable "stuff" your character has associated with it, namely inventory, scribed spells, recipes and techniques. With your intended focus on Armor, you're going to have a LOT of formulas at lower tiers, even without hitting the formula cap. Different but similar example: My wife and I noticed a very significant increase in her main character's initial load time after the CONF revamp when she scribed all the new preparation and cooking recipes; she had all the expert tinker and armorcrafter forms scribed prior, but was still below the formula cap at the time. We have very good data transmission rates with our cable modem, so connection wasn't suddenly the issue.

Once I took up Gatherer and Armorer to help, she deleted the preparing and metal armor recipes and saw her load times return to near their previous levels.

I'd also feel free to delete lower tier Techs once you've outgrown them. Personally, I don't have any Tier1/2 crafting or adventuring techs scribed anymore, except for Speed I/II. I don't have any Tier1/2/3 resistance or ward techs scribed either; with limited tech slots on lower Tier gear, ward & resistance techs simply don't come into play until later. Most folks outlevel lower tier gear so fast that having T1/2 gear tech'd doesn't really make that big an impact, anyhow. By the time you're able to make Tier5 armor, you'll have all the armor dye techs, Tier4/5 resists & wards, Block1-5, Tier3-5 crafting and adventure skill techs, and Socketing. That'll be plenty.

Anyways... "season to taste" of course, but that's my 2cp in favor of keeping your spells, techs and formulas tidy. Best of luck to ya!
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

About techs, there is no tech limit. You can scribe all techs that are ingame without hitting a tech limit.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

As general practice, I try to keep formula/spells/techs scribed to a minimum. There's nothing more snooze-worthy than waiting to load in somewhere.

They were likely referring to Padded armor which can be worn based on crafting classes as well as adventure classes. So a L1 Warrior with L90ish Blacksmith (for example) could wear T5 padded armor which is much much better than T1 metal armor.

I'm struggling with finding things needed for techniques. I know this great side (horizons.gamersinfo.net) that tells me what monsters drop the stuff I need, but I don't know where those monsters hang around. Is there any source that would help me with that?
    Check the customization threads for the map pack. Be careful to read and follow the intstall instructions though.

And on that topic... is there any good information source for crafting other than this forum, the wiki and the gamersinfo side by any chance?
    Bristugo.com

All class gives a certain AU (Armor Use) pr. lvl, and for craft classes that is 7/lvl, so with a craftclass at 100, you would have 700 in AU.
    This is 10 short of beeing able to use padded silk (710 AU and lvl 71), but you could use a regular silk armor for instance (AU 610, lvl 61.)
    So to reach 610 AU as a crafter you would have to level it to 88.

To be able to use this as a, say lvl 1 warrior, you would need to keep a craftclass active that is at least lvl 61 (after having reached at least 610 in AU somewhere along the road.)

Don't remember right away what armor values you would gain from silken cloth armor, but it would be a good deal better than any other armor you could wear for quite some time as a pure low level adventurer.
    And even more so if you add in the potential of tech's.
    A silk armor can have 2 tech's pr. piece.

If you gain AU=1000 (as you would if you took warrior to 100), you could use padded ironsilk armor (910 AU, lvl 91) if you had a craftclass active at lvl 91 when you level a lower level adventure class, giving you a nice armor boost. Add some tech's to this armor and you are even better off.
    T5 equipment can take 3 tech's pr. piece.

Same holds true for jewellry btw.
    It only goes by level, so if you are levelling an adventure school and have a higher level craft school active (compared to your adventure class) you could use jewellry according to your level in the craft school and not be restricted by your adventure level in this regard.
    So with a high enough craft class you could be able to wear tripple tech'ed t5 jewellry while "grinding away" on your adventure levels.

Happy hunting and crafting!
    Last edited by Spirit Twister; October 2nd, 2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Tidying it all up

Oh, nice. Thank yous for the info, makes crafting even more interesting.

spell limit 200
    form limit 1k
    no tech limit as far as i know
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Thread Information