Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are XP's days going to be finally numbered?

Default Re: Are XP's days going to be finally numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubjo View Post
    So does Istaria run with Win 7...I have been keen to get back into Istaria but I have no intentions of runnign a dual boot system. I wont have XP back on my system....am very happy with Win 7 and will buy it when it is finally released. So I would love to know if Istaria works with Win 7 and if so I will see you all in game very soon

Since the core code of Win7 is Vista better optimized you'll hit the same issues running Istaria on win 7 with the current client as you would on Vista. You have to use the new launcher and the 383 file fix currently on blight for Win 7. Once running it runs perfectly fine on Win7.
    Last edited by Greenclaw1; May 27th, 2009 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    what do you mean by reinstall, db? you mean reformat and total reinstall????
    may i ask why you do this? i have been messing with puters for 30+ years and can't imagine why you would ever reinstall a non-corrupt os, much less on an almost monthly basis.....
    do you defrag and cleanup?
    if your os is going corrupt that often, it would suggest a hardware prob to me, not a software prob.....
    I agree, it's does strike me as odd to have to reinstall an OS the many times. I've had a laptop for last 2 years with Vista on with no problems. One of my desktop PC's has been running the same install of Vista since Aug 2007 with no issues or having to reinstall, and that Pc has been pushed hard for the last 2 years.

I suspect its hardware as you said, bad memory dimm maybe or user error. It's certainly not Vista being the all round sloppy mess as some often accuse it of being. Vista Server Pack 2 official release has just been put out in the last 24 hours. It's not the Vista it was at release any more, just as Xp not the mess it was at release any more. Gamers didn't want to come off win 98 for Win Xp until SP1.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenclaw1 View Post
    I agree, it's does strike me as odd to have to reinstall an OS the many times. I've had a laptop for last 2 years with Vista on with no problems. One of my desktop PC's has been running the same install of Vista since Aug 2007 with no issues or having to reinstall, and that Pc has been pushed hard for the last 2 years.

I suspect its hardware as you said, bad memory dimm maybe or user error. It's certainly not Vista being the all round sloppy mess as some often accuse it of being. Vista Server Pack 2 official release has just been put out in the last 24 hours. It's not the Vista it was at release any more, just as Xp not the mess it was at release any more. Gamers didn't want to come off win 98 for Win Xp until SP1.
    Well my dad's just managed to kill his copy of Xp. He says he was surfing the 'net', whereas I know he was really surfing for 5 mut. One click too many and now it won't start... *sigh*

Perhaps I'll put win7 on it.

Incidentally not seen much difference with SP2 for Vista. I still get a horrific pause when I open new links in new windows/tabs. Even Outlook pauses if an email contains Html content (uses IE). I presume it could be some protection screening the site address. Spyware Blaster has probably made that list of barred sites very large, but I wouldn't be without it. I haven't installed IE8 on any other system. Perhaps I'll try installing Spyware Blaster on Win7 to see if it creates the same problem.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Mahja View Post
    Microsoft won't care if someone tries to sue them over it, sure it'll make them sadistic or something, but there's no law they're breaking. It's their OS, they can do what they want with it, and everyone else will have to choose if they want to adapt to it or not.
    well, sort of. Microsoft has been in violation of most of the US antitrust and similar laws for a few decades now. If they start putting out seriously broken operating systems, they could find themselves in court for abusing their monopoly (yes, i know, its not a true monopoly, but when one company occcupies 90% of the market, its close enough for the feds to get interested)

and even if the US doesn't crack down on them for it, europe almost certainly will. look at the reaming they just gave Intel for the 'anti-competitive practice' of using their top-end server CPUs as loss-leaders.

Which was total BS!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Microsoft has already been few times in Europe at Court because of monopoly and Business OS marketing which brought them some silly 80Million penalty which still is nothing and in the end, its more profitable for them to do the "bad stuff" than pay penalty.

I put all my hopes in Windows 7 - Windows 7, not the Basic edition but the higher ones have integrated Virtual machine of XP if you need to run Applications 16bit or less compatible or applications which may not be familiar with Win7/Vista native libraries.

My flatmate is running Windows 7 now for 1 month and its working just fine, he has laptop and it installed ALL of his drivers for him, no need for slug-slow downloading of drivers off manufacturer sites.

Of course, the GPU drivers are only ones as GPU's in laptops are quite different so small easy modding and it works just fine too. But same thing has to be done for all systems.

I am very sure there will be modded versions of XP after Microsoft closes on them. There are MicroXP, VertexXP and just many more modded versions, which are faster, look like Vista, have XP core and got plenty of useful features while the ones not used are removed.

Kind regards,
    TGD/Melgarius

My advice for all is the skip Vista - it's the Millennium Edition of today. Windows 7 sounds promising though, so I'll probably do a dual boot thing with XP and 7 eventually.

i am an XP nut. i don't even have SP3 installed and won't install it, that is how oldschool XP i am. o.O

(unless you guys give me a reason to install it)

Vista is really quite stable and secure, it's good at protecting the end user from themselves. Been using it at work for 2 years or so, and at home full time since the vista client came out. It really is better. One good thing is that a 64bit os takes much better advantage of RAM and multi-core cpu's. (I use vista 64bit)

Windows 7 is basically Vista with a facelift, and much more built in hardware drivers. So it will be quite good too, an improvement even.

Not much point going to either if your computer is 4+ years old. Better to go to the new OS when buying your next new pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Vista is really quite stable and secure, it's good at protecting the end user from themselves. Been using it at work for 2 years or so, and at home full time since the vista client came out. It really is better. One good thing is that a 64bit os takes much better advantage of RAM and multi-core cpu's. (I use vista 64bit)

Windows 7 is basically Vista with a facelift, and much more built in hardware drivers. So it will be quite good too, an improvement even.

Not much point going to either if your computer is 4+ years old. Better to go to the new OS when buying your next new pc.
    Yeah I see Win7 as how Vista should have been. The 64-bit version seems brilliant. Vista is much better than it was, but the amount of faff factor it has regarding hd trashing is still high (restore points for example). Plus having to disable things in an os to make it work (Superfetch ftw) just blows goats really. Oh and Indexing.

For the record they tried to sneak Windows Search into my old copy of xp, and it basically Vista'd my xp installation. I then shot Windows Search and it went back to normal.

Rakku

I just built a new PC for myself. AMD quad core system with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Currently logged in to Istaria and no more lag

System has been stable, and as far as I can tell, just about everything feel faster than on Vista. One reason might be the fact I'm running the OS (and Istaria) from a SSD hard disk...

No more XP for me, I can use virtual XP mode if I need to.

Thread Information