Thread: Horizons and the Asus Eee

Default Horizons and the Asus Eee

Has anyone tried to run HZ on an Eee?

Default Re: Horizons and the Asus Eee

I highly doubt it will work. First of all, installing XP on that takes most of the memory. Second, the graphics card that comes probably doesn't even DO 3D, does it?

I mean, I have one, and in theory I could put HZ on a USB drive and try to run it off that, but I really really doubt it would work.

I'll gladly accept a a free Eee to determine if HZ will run on it.

(I had to google Eee to see what you all meant. Dur.)

I would rather have Istaria on a Wii. I can see it now...I spread my wings...err, arms...

Seriously.

Asus has a LOT of Eee models nowadays... not just one.

I have Acer Aspire One myself, with Intel Atom CPU, 1GB of RAM and a 120GB normal HDD. GFX chip is an integrated Intel one. The OS is XP Home. I know this machine can run WoW, sort of, but I haven't tried Hz on it yet.

I bet even a C64 can run WoW =P

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Yeah, but still

700 Series Eee's are the slowest, some used underclocked Celeron Mobile CPUs, while the bigger / newer models use Intel Atom (single core, with hyperthreading). 1000 Series models have a real HDD instead of very small SDD (Flash) hard disks. All VGA chips are integrated Intel ones. Also, 900/1000 Series models have 1GB RAM standard, most 700 series have only 512MB.

I will try Hz on my Acer One soon. If it can run Hz, then 900 and 1000 Series Eee's probably can, too. My Acer's XP installation is the standard manufacturer one, I haven't optimized it in any way yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahael View Post
    Yeah, but still

700 Series Eee's are the slowest, some used underclocked Celeron Mobile CPUs, while the bigger / newer models use Intel Atom (single core, with hyperthreading). 1000 Series models have a real HDD instead of very small SDD (Flash) hard disks. All VGA chips are integrated Intel ones. Also, 900/1000 Series models have 1GB RAM standard, most 700 series have only 512MB.

I will try Hz on my Acer One soon. If it can run Hz, then 900 and 1000 Series Eee's probably can, too. My Acer's XP installation is the standard manufacturer one, I haven't optimized it in any way yet though.
    On an Xp system with a proper hdd, not the flash drive, I think it could work. The Intel graphics solutions are not actually that bad. The latest ones support lots of features, and would certainly support those required by Horizons. Remember the min spec for this game was an 800mhz cpu, and I knew at least one high level player (Byrant on Wind) who played on a min-spec system. I ran it on a 16mb graphics laptop with 512mb ram, and it was managable.

First one to get it running on one of these new compact laptops gets a free gnome pie!! (btw I know Samsung has just released their own mini-laptop that is better value imho ... can't seem to find the link d'oh!)

Rakku

Exclamation Re: Horizons and the Asus Eee

Hello there everybody,

I am proud and happy owner of Samsung NC10 Blue which is a best piece of netbook Hardware I had a chance to try.

It scored the most points in performance and its very optimized.
    Now the one I have, is upgraded to 2GB Kingston DDR 2 667MHZ ram in single socket, running 120GB Western Digital HDD on 5400 RPM and classic Intel Atom 1.6Ghz HT enabled.

Testing -
    • Sims 2: Playable, however the screen moving has visible lags
    • World of Warcraft : Playable only as single player grinding/Questing, Raiding frame rate drop down to 1fps.
    • Starcraft: Brood War - Fluent
    • Wacraft 3 - Fluent

All in all, I have to say, there is almost no chance of this type of netbook to run Horizons. This is same netbook, but a bit better in performance than the Asus 1000, Acer One, Toshiba Wind or similiar.

Both HDD and RAM are up to the task however CPU and Graphic card will not sustain such animation. Perhaps with Environment turned off however I do not have idea how to do so.

Kind regards,
    TGD/Melgarh/Daniel

I've played HZ on an Acer Aspire One. Solid 5fps.

Great for crafting and chatting, and that's about it. Forget about battles.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Amazing! Would not have expected that Istaria would run on netbook.. well if it works on yours, I might give it a shot since my netbook got a tad bit higher performance results than Acer One.

Will get to it asap!

-Kind regards,
    TGD/Melgarh

You might actually get better performance running under Linux - if your netbook has that. In the past, some users have reported much better frame rates under Linux than under Windows.

For Wine info / link back to forum post:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=2696

Rightio, I have just got around to install Istaria onto my netbook and the results are suprising.

Configuration:
    • Maximum performance
    • Samsung NC10
    • Intel Atom 1.6 GHz HT
    • 2GB DDR 2 667 MHZ Ram single channel stick
    • Intel GMA 950 with auto memory allocation
    • Windows XP Pro, SP3

Istaria config:
    • No audio/Music
    • All details low, Minimal visible distance

I am able to fly around Dralk and its quite sensible. As mentioned above, Crafting, Grinding possible, fights with lots of patience and only "upper hand" fights, no mass pulling.

Kind regards,
    TGD/Melgarius

Aside from the low framerate, I think the biggest problem with HZ on a netbook is the lack of screen area. I wind up with a somewhat suboptimal hotkey and window arrangement so I can see what's going on around my character.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

My Aspire One is a great backup computer if my primary one fails

I've been trying to get it to run on my Acer One running Windows 7. I get a ctd on launch.

Any suggestions?

That`s odd, Are you using the new java launcher? or the .Net launcher?
    my Acer seems to run fine. only get one or 2 CTD`s a night, but that`s if I`m doing a lot of porting.

here`s my config

1TB HDD
    4 GB DDR3 RAM
    Geforce NVidia graphics card 9200
    AMD Athlon II x2 255 dual core processor
    Windows 7 64bit Home premium

Thread Information