Thread: What is Primal?

Default What is Primal?

Just a repost that the lore information from LO doesn't get lost in the suggestion thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    "Primal magic" is called that because it existed first. It is the raw magic from which Istara formed the world. Drulkar manifested in the Prime in order to bring his people through from the Realm of Fire, and the form he chose, the dragon, established the form his people would take. Dragons, as a race, were formed by and of Primal magic as part of assuming physical form.

The other races appeared well after Istaria was created, and thus were subject to Istara's design decisions. Non-dragons cannot use Primal because it is outside the laws that give them life.

However... (And here I can't resist pulling the curtain back a little)

Dragons have, in the past, learned to use biped magics. Most of the time, these dragons have died under the claws and flames of an angry mob...

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Default Re: What is Primal?

During beta, this was certainly the case. And I think more than just the many biped-cookie-cutters we had.

Dragons used a magic called Storm, which was really flashy and one of the things I lament not seeing in the current era. It was presumed that such was part of our mastery of the sky.

These days, I generally RP it as having been something studied by Helians, who hid it away after joining the Empire with the Lunus as a matter of pride and possible embarrassment. Admittedly, having access to spells of Storm again would be quite interesting...

Except for that minor blurb at the end, all of the Prime information is pretty well solidified - dragons are the only ones who can use the Prime because they wrapped themselves in it to become dragons in the first place.

Thanks for the post.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

The minor blurb is canon too. Btw, no current dragons wrapped themselves in magic to become solid. Just figured i'd clear that up.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Why do Wind Golems do primal damage then if non-dragon races can't use primal?

Also the monk medallion has storm resistance on it? I take it that is a typo?
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

One leading theory is that entities from the realm of Air took form on Istaria just as Drulkar and his people did. Over time, those entities became today's wind golems. Like dragons, they use Primal because their forms were shaped of it.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

By solidified, I meant well known already. The minor blurb was a pulling back of a curtain we didn't know was there ;p

Personal (not canon) lore also has it so that the dragon 'form' was not originally dragon as we know them today; rather many forms were tested before that form became as it is today. It forms the basis of many of Maekrux's canned stories he likes to burst out at new hatchlings on occasion ;p

Not really the place to ask this, but - is the formation of the Prime from the old lore no longer canon? It followed that the Prime was left in the wake of the splintering of the Realm of Water. If this is still the case, it would explain why elemental forces (Drulkar of Fire and whoever of Wind) would be the first to descend upon the Prime and become its first denizens.

As for the Storm resistance - it may be a hold over from when Storm was a concern and was never updated.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

I have my own interpretation of the Prime, but except for inferential cases, I don't have any lore to support it. It also would mean that bipeds can't use Primal magic because of the complexity that makes it difficult to understand or visualize. Still, it wouldn't explain why Prime Bolt is so weak compared to alternatives.

I don't think I'll explain my interpretation completely, but I'll give a hint:
    Balance, then rotation, then synergy, then fusion. To use another IP as reference, Naruto's Rasengan meets the first three. Even the canon behind that is difficult to follow because of the whole infinite directions thing or whatever.
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

Thread Information