Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trying to learn dragon talk

Default Re: trying to learn dragon talk

Myself I feel that a Naka can not correctly state the words nor truly hear the words correctly so would ignore them as ramblings in some unknown tongue or ask what it is they were saying till they spoke in some language I did understand. Not that I would ignore everything they said, just the random noises they thought they were mimicking of their betters.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Myself I feel that a Naka can not correctly state the words nor truly hear the words correctly so would ignore them as ramblings in some unknown tongue or ask what it is they were saying till they spoke in some language I did understand. Not that I would ignore everything they said, just the random noises they thought they were mimicking of their betters.
    Then by thine own accounting, Deth elder, it must also be that we may not frame or hear in proper manner for converse the words of two legs... and thus be set whole apart from the land.

And well it is I know that the Lightning doth understand each word I speak, aye and no few I do not. And never would I seek it to be any other than it be . And Ssilmath elder and Bori gift, aye, and others, have seemed to hear my words. And surely, if those ye call Naka cannot frame our words, and by logic we not theirs...

But no matter. Fool I am and least and less .

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

besides, if a dragon refuses to speak to me in words i can understand, then that dragon is not telling me to stay out of the hoard pile... or to refrain from painting on its belly... or that it wants a klava refill... ;-)

Exactly Awdz. x3

Whoo, can you say off-topic? Or, at least, deviated onto a tangent...

I never thought much of bipeds learning the language, though I've never tried to teach it to anyone... I'm more the type to correct grammar or pronunciation than teach the words themselves. XD
    <----clicky!

My Vhazshyn is weird. She learned erdoten k'eilerten from her liberal parents and would insist on teaching it to any biped (or dragon, of course) who shows an interest in learning it. By now, though, she can teach very little of it as her own skill in it has gone quite rusty.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

*gets dazed and confused over the number of chooses and choosings* *toothy grin*

Aye, great Sephiranoth, I would call you to task - though only in the most respectful tone - as to why you would direct the naka to learn of our language and to bade them speak it as if they were dragon.

They are not dragon. It is not theirs. It is of the few things that are solely ours as dragons - and is it not right and allowable for us to have a few things that are our own? I would certainl respect anything of the naka's they felt the same for, that they wished to have as their own.

Naka cannot speak the language correctly anyway - it is not of their mouth or tongue. So to have our own, ancient, formerly lost, and historic language butchered and disrespected in such a way is a sound that rends me to my core.

So yes, I would go to you and we would speak of it. And mayhap I would change your thoughts, and mayhap not. But I would still try.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

This Dwarf, and others I imagine, would seek to learn a few words simply out of respect for drake brethren; certainly not in an attempt to master syllables which our wagging tongues be physically incapable of manipulating.

Of course, as much as the winged would laugh at my feeble attempts at lingual flattery, I would also have a hearty laugh at a Dragon's attempts to communicate in the Dwarven tongue, which to wyrm-kindred must seem to merely be a random series of grunts and grumbles and belches.

...the Common tongue is a blessing afterall, aye?
    "There are but three loves in a Dwarf's life, young lad: battle to make one thirsty, ale to quench the thirst, and friends to bring more ale! Make no mistake about it... good friends are by far the most important." - Steele

I agree I would never try to speak the Dwarven or Elven Tongues. I would learn it to understand what they speak and have no problem a Naka trying to learn what I say in the elder tongue to better meet my needs and to learn from me. But I will not personal teach them and ask that they show the same respect to me of not butchering my lang that I show them by not trying to butcher thiers. Even thought I think I would fare better at speaking thiers then them ours. But I am sure i can not get the gravely tones right for the Dwarven tongue or the Higher pitches of the Elven tongue might come out a little more raspy. But if we where at more of a peek of our magical knowldge it would not be to hard to mimic the sounds.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    *gets dazed and confused over the number of chooses and choosings* *toothy grin*

Aye, great Sephiranoth, I would call you to task - though only in the most respectful tone - as to why you would direct the naka to learn of our language and to bade them speak it as if they were dragon.

They are not dragon. It is not theirs. It is of the few things that are solely ours as dragons - and is it not right and allowable for us to have a few things that are our own? I would certainl respect anything of the naka's they felt the same for, that they wished to have as their own.

Naka cannot speak the language correctly anyway - it is not of their mouth or tongue. So to have our own, ancient, formerly lost, and historic language butchered and disrespected in such a way is a sound that rends me to my core.

So yes, I would go to you and we would speak of it. And mayhap I would change your thoughts, and mayhap not. But I would still try.
    Frith-elder...

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Then if words we might exchange, elder, mayhap a pondering that ye ponder first.

For in those times, and I speak them not ill or weal though I do indeed own opinion, when draku were what we no longer are ( though some might seek or think it be so again), did two legs come and go at the will and desire of those draku then woken.

And if a drake did seek that one of these young two legs might do a thing of the drake's will.. what words did that drake use?

For if it were drake tongue, then that two leg must have been taught such, to hear and speak. And if it be two leg tongue, then no drake may have set any two leg to their will till those two legs had woken and walked long and long, aye, and longer, till they hade crafted tongues of their own. Aye, and then draku must learn them, that they speak to two legs and set them to their will. Did, in thy view, draku so demean them, that they must learn of others ere others might be directed? And if it were drake tongue.. were those draku then not of proper nature, or not taught proper manner, as ye spoke? One wonders what those old draku might say of thy view if this ponder were so...

And if it be Common tongue, then no two leg might have been set to drake will for longer yet, for first they must wake, then take those long tides to develop tongues of their own... and only then may a more common tongue be crafted, by two leg or drake, that allowed those of differed tongue to converse. Was it then so long ere two legs were set to draku will in those tides past?

Of course, I stand but Fool. And these be but words of a pondering. And most surely... I AM NONE OF GREAT.

And more... or less....

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast

Part the first, setting dev hat on and speaking of Lore:

Bipeds, mostly humans but not always, served for centuries in dragon homes, sometimes generation after generation. It is not unreasonable to think that more than a few would have learned some measure of the draconic tongue in that time so that they might serve their masters better. After the Vandus uprising, most of what was learned was no doubt forgotten. However, it is also possible that some chose, for whatever reason, to preserve what they had learned and pass it down.

Therefor, let it be said that there does exist a historical justification for bipeds knowing a small smattering of the draconic language. How individual dragons react to this is up to them, of course.

Part the second, setting aside the dev hat and speaking as a player: While my dragon is a fairly liberal Lunus, he feels that it's a good thing for bipeds to know the draconic language. It keeps them in practice for the day when this war ends and dragons are free to reassert their dominance by enslaving the biped races and restoring the natural order.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Part the second, setting aside the dev hat and speaking as a player: While my dragon is a fairly liberal Lunus, he feels that it's a good thing for bipeds to know the draconic language. It keeps them in practice for the day when this war ends and dragons are free to reassert their dominance by enslaving the biped races and restoring the natural order.
    My dragon wants to marry your dragon now. *chuckle*

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Thread Information