Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Ask Awdz

  1. #21

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Flamestar asks: Why is nobody teaming up to fight the Withered Aegis gathering just outside of Aughundell in Chaos?

    My first venture into Istaria fanfiction: link and my other fanfics: link and artwork: link

  2. #22

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkcal View Post
    midnighty asks: why doesnt everyone just choose to be a dragon i mean why arent there more male dragons around?
    From what I understand, when a mommy dragon and a daddy dragon decide they want a hatchling, they fly into the mountains and dig up an egg to hatch... or maybe pull a hatchling out of a lava pool, depending which stories you believe. Anyway, they do not get to choose the hatchling's gender.

    As for why there are not more male Gifted dragons around? I suspect that part of the spell required the Gifted to be willing to protect all the living races, and males of all species generally seem to be more combative than females, thus the spell would tend to Gift more female dragons than males. Perhaps a consultation with scholars at the Dalimond Archives can provide more insight.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by flamestar View Post
    Flamestar asks: Why is nobody teaming up to fight the Withered Aegis gathering just outside of Aughundell in Chaos?
    Alas, that is a question for the denizens of that realm. It is much more Ordered where I abide.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    chaos shard near chiconis killing argen
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    well thanks but im a dragoness and more combatitive then any drakes i know

  5. #25

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Dear Awdz:

    I thought you might have an interesting thought on this- the 'insider's view', as it were. I am a very large dragon with brilliant crimson scales and golden accents- yet it seems many naka are surprised to realize I am of the Helian ideology and not the Lunus line of thought on mere sight of me. Is it so very common for things to be rigidly distinguished among naka that the thought of a 'large red helian' is so very startling?

    -A pondering Helian

  6. #26

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrieath View Post
    Dear Awdz:

    I thought you might have an interesting thought on this- the 'insider's view', as it were. I am a very large dragon with brilliant crimson scales and golden accents- yet it seems many naka are surprised to realize I am of the Helian ideology and not the Lunus line of thought on mere sight of me. Is it so very common for things to be rigidly distinguished among naka that the thought of a 'large red helian' is so very startling?

    -A pondering Helian
    *ponders in response* Let's see...

    Dralk, home to Lunus dragons, is full of red sparks in the air, red lava flows, and red- & black-tinted soil/rock, some gold nodes about. Lunus lairs tend to bear a similar red- & gold/dark-themed decor.

    Chiconis, home to Helian dragons, is grassy with blue skies, white clouds high above, and light-colored rocks, some silver nodes about. Helian lairs tend to bear a similar blue- & silver/light-themed decor.

    I think we bipeds generally assume that the dragons living in each area would be similarly colored, much as creatures in the wild tend to blend in with their habitats. I would not call it rigid, though. We don't so much think the colors need to be that way as we think dragon teeth, horns and claws are sharp and worth lots of caution.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Dear Awdz,

    The one has developed a rash on the tail that itches badly. Being a Sslik the one would have thought it would heal quickly, but has not. This is in a spot the one cannot reach. Would it be out of place to request a softskin give it a good scratch?

    Itchy Sslik

  8. #28

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by Sslarn View Post
    Dear Awdz,

    The one has developed a rash on the tail that itches badly. Being a Sslik the one would have thought it would heal quickly, but has not. This is in a spot the one cannot reach. Would it be out of place to request a softskin give it a good scratch?

    Itchy Sslik
    Dear Itchy Sslik,

    It certainly sounds like you need help and I'm sure lots of folks would want to. However, "softskins" like me do not have very good claws for scratching, except perhaps for saris. Dragon claws might be too damaging, as they are very sharp and dragons may not realize your scales are less resiliant than theirs. I'm thinking your best bet is to ask another sslik, who is more likely to know how much pressure your scales would need to be scratched without drawing blood.

    If you cannot find a suitable scratcher, perhaps we can tinker one? I'd need to measure your dimensions and test the hardiness of your scales to determine appropriate device size and materials. There are many, many design options here, from modified meridian baffles to rotating rods to spikes. Oh, also, would you prefer it be activated by hand, by foot stomps, or tail swishes?

    *rambles into incoherence, jotting notes in her [Journal of Copious Notes]*

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    chaos shard near chiconis killing argen
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Sparkyfire asks: why doesnt everyone have wings i mean i know dragons and drayds do but why not the other races i dont think its fair if no one gets to fly/ glide so why cant they have wings too?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkcal View Post
    Sparkyfire asks: why doesnt everyone have wings i mean i know dragons and drayds do but why not the other races i dont think its fair if no one gets to fly/ glide so why cant they have wings too?
    I agree with you that it's no fair that some get wings and some do not. I think the gods created us that way for variety and to challenge us to go beyond the obvious. Each race has strengths to compensate for what other races have that they do not.

    Dryad wings are little and not functional enough to get them much height; mostly they just flutter in a way as to dazzle those who stare at them, kind of like when I watch butterflies flutter by.

    Gnomes like me tinker as a way to do things our normal appendages are too limited for; fiends tend toward magic instead; saris have bursts of speed that at the right angle could be mistaken for flying; dwarves are so solid on the earth they do not want to fly; and half-giants are tall so they do not need to fly so much 'cause they can reach things more easily already.

    I think humans research a lot and are crafty, sort of like tinkerers. Satyrs drink a lot, so I'm not sure it would be safe if they could fly.

    Elves do not like to disturb the natural order of things, but I'm not as sure why they were not given wings from the gods. Maybe 'cause they have to tend the roots of the trees, helping them to grow well, instead of getting distracted by leafy branches? Or maybe wings would make their egos too big to fit under the forest canopy?

    Sslik are kind of odd: they have mini-scales and some even have feathers, but while they can manage some magic they cannot work the primal, like dragons not quite finished forming. However, they can master all the biped skills so I guess they're around to show what dragons might be like if they did not have wings, could not use primal magic and were not so big.

    So only dragons get wings to really soar through the air with. I guess the extra big appendages are needed to make up for a lack elsewhere. Maybe it has to do with why we bipeds cannot tell the sex of a dragon?

  11. #31

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post

    So only dragons get wings to really soar through the air with. I guess the extra big appendages are needed to make up for a lack elsewhere. Maybe it has to do with why we bipeds cannot tell the sex of a dragon?
    *snigger* I'll have to remember this


    You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

    "Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"


  12. #32

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Dear Awdz,

    I'm having difficulty understanding the reluctance many have when thinking Dryads can be anything but happy, bubbly and all together soft fairies. I'm not like that, I don't consider myself a "fairy". I've fought long and hard against the Withered Aegis and yet every time I run across someone in the realms they think I need help! Or they feel obliged to talk to me like I'm a child! What can I do to earn the respect of my peers!?!

    -A concerned Dryad

  13. #33

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Dear Awdz,

    A player came up to me and they finally are high enough to make Thornwood Boards. Since the Wood Cenotaph is broken, how are they able to get the Master Wood Board form on the live shards?

    A Concerned Carpenter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    chaos shard near chiconis killing argen
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    sparkyfire asks: why dont they just start out as adults its not fair i never can get to a high enough level to kill the monsters i want to kil why must we start out as hatchlings if were dragons why?

  15. #35

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Dear Awdz;

    Why have i not visited the guild of late? random question i suppose, but still?

    ((OOC Translation: Why am I to lazy to reinstall Istaria after a bug didnt let it launch? i'm missing out on some good times...))


    P.S: Got a nice little contraption you might find intresting Awdz! it relates to that flying question you answered earlier. in simple, i shoot it at a surface, it attaches to that surface, I then fly towards that surface at a speed ever so slightly dangerous to the condition of my nose. Cool right? really helps with getting around.


    -Coleraon Pesong
    Cory
    ------------------------
    Coleraon Pesong, Warrior of Order

  16. #36

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    Dear Awdz,

    A player came up to me and they finally are high enough to make Thornwood Boards. Since the Wood Cenotaph is broken, how are they able to get the Master Wood Board form on the live shards?

    A Concerned Carpenter
    Wowsers, it took a lot of work to build those cenotaphs and courage to face the Blight to get those forms! The empire seems to have decided that it would be much better to make the forms accessible from the Imperial Outpost, but the bureaucratic red tape might still be being strung for that. It's been so long since I died for that formula that I am not sure of the current procedure.

    Good luck and good crafting!

  17. #37

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila View Post
    Dear Awdz,

    I'm having difficulty understanding the reluctance many have when thinking Dryads can be anything but happy, bubbly and all together soft fairies. I'm not like that, I don't consider myself a "fairy". I've fought long and hard against the Withered Aegis and yet every time I run across someone in the realms they think I need help! Or they feel obliged to talk to me like I'm a child! What can I do to earn the respect of my peers!?!

    -A concerned Dryad
    Dear concerned Dryad,

    I can certainly relate to the feelings you described, as I am smaller than almost anyone not a dryad. What worked for me was to surprise others with my capability, time after time, until eventually some of them accepted that I can hold my own.

    I think there's an assumption that size matters - the bigger they are, the more effective they should be. Certainly for dragons, adults are larger than and more capable than hatchlings, and ancients are bigger and have more abilities than adults. When size is directly related to capability for the race, it becomes natural for them to assume the same about other creatures that they know less well.

    Luckily the Withered Aegis seem to think that as well, underestimating us small ones. Use that to your advantage! One of the most impressive displays I ever saw was a dryad mage using multicast bombs to take out floating spheres of Withered Aegis forces under an anchor so that we could destroy it. The enemy may never know what hit them.

    Good luck and good hunting!

  18. #38

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by sparkcal View Post
    sparkyfire asks: why dont they just start out as adults its not fair i never can get to a high enough level to kill the monsters i want to kil why must we start out as hatchlings if were dragons why?
    All Gifted start out weak and must build up their strength for fighting the enemy. It is the nature of the spell. The dragon trainers may seem to resent the Gifted ability to return from the dead, but really they teach a much-needed lesson that effectiveness requires much more than do-overs. Only through time and training can we really become the best that we can be, and those who succeed have to earn their recognition.

    Good luck and good hunting!

  19. #39

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    Quote Originally Posted by coryzilla View Post
    Dear Awdz;

    Why have i not visited the guild of late? random question i suppose, but still?

    ((OOC Translation: Why am I to lazy to reinstall Istaria after a bug didnt let it launch? i'm missing out on some good times...))


    P.S: Got a nice little contraption you might find intresting Awdz! it relates to that flying question you answered earlier. in simple, i shoot it at a surface, it attaches to that surface, I then fly towards that surface at a speed ever so slightly dangerous to the condition of my nose. Cool right? really helps with getting around.


    -Coleraon Pesong
    Dear Coleraon,

    There may be a number of reasons for this, and you will have to determine which applies.

    1) You have been too distracted. Before you get to starting, you see something else also interesting and chase that instead.

    2) You have "but first" syndrome. It's like the tinkerer who wants to make a cargo disk, but first he has to have tools and materials. Assembling them, he realizes he could make the disk but first he needs more stone bricks. He sets out to gather the stone but first he must kill the golems protecting the nodes. So he tries to change into his hunting gear and realizes that he could kill them but first he has to be in the right frame of mind (class). He then heads for the trainer but first passes through Bristugo and realizes he has oddities to sell, so he goes to see Rhahool... At the end of the day he is in the wrong class, does not have armor on, does not have the bricks he needs, and cannot make the disk yet. All too many of us do things butt first...

    3) You got lost and cannot find your way back. The best way to deal with this is to ask directions from an empire representative, if you can find one and if you can bring yourself to ask directions.

    I am sure there are other possibilities but those are the main ones that spring to mind. Good luck and hope to see you in Istaria again soon!

    P.S. Oooh, a contraption! This may call for a tinkering demonstration soon...

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    near dralk
    Posts
    195
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Ask Awdz

    dear awdz:

    im already mated to someone else but im falling in love with someone else who should I choose?

    0reviana riftclaw
    I am very lucky to know my bonded mate and even luckier still to know i am always on his mind and he on mine for that i am very happy.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •