Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Base

Default Player Base

What are Virtrium's current and future plans to increase player base for "Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted"?

The reason i pose the question:

1. Increase in player base is a increase in subscriptions(money for VI)
    2. With more monthly subs, you can add more developers
    3. With more developers = more content, game/3d engine revamp

I'm sure there are many more things you could do as the player base increases, so back to my question...
    Fierce Wyrm, The Annatar, Order Shard
    100 Adventure, Crafter and Lairshaper/Hoard 51 mil

Default Re: Player Base

Just so you know a Dev has stated on the Boards that shall not be named, That they are in the black and growing.

my question remains, Are they're plans set forth to increase player base?
    Fierce Wyrm, The Annatar, Order Shard
    100 Adventure, Crafter and Lairshaper/Hoard 51 mil

Kind of a goofy question. Yes, there are plans.

1. Fix bugs, reduce the barriers that prevent people from playing
    2. Create content for players to enjoy and look forward to
    3. Market the game by doing things that engage the community and gamers, such as the audio stories, contests, developer's discussions, etc.

I may have missed some, I'm sure Velea or Amarie will correct me. But thats a start.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Just so you know a Dev has stated on the Boards that shall not be named, That they are in the black and growing.
    Hmm... I probably caught that when it was posted, but I forgot about reading it. Yay for VI!
    <----clicky!

The one I speak of is a fairly recent post as in last couple of months for sure. I would have to go double check the post date to be sure. I want to say more people are on board now then before but some of these are volunteers for sure.

Do Vi think about to join the free2play market?

Even if you kill me for that:
    There are a few things we can do to increase player base ourselfes:

- care for new players, help them, provide them with items they need, take them in our guilds unbureaucraticly. Give them links to our sides. And I mean ingame. Still only a few players are on this forum. Still I see new players come and leave again, cause we left them alone (there was a hatchie who asked me questions all day long- I answered until I got enough- remember it takes me some time to answer in English questions about game content and technical things:-( ) told him to ask another dragon now- never saw him or his friend again:-(

-care for old players who feel alone (and I`m afraid some of them think about leaving atm) cause their guilds are dead, or do not play anymore for some frustrated reasons. Frustration is contagious- talk to them- help them with their probs! An old friend of mine does not play anymore: She was excited about her new plot- now its bugged- unfixable:-(
    She and some other planned to build their plots together- now she can forget about it. Well I keep on talking to her- try to get her back to the game.

- jump into forums of other games, and tell old mates whats going on in Istaria. I know of some in VG and LotR who do not visit this forum anymore.
    I`ll try to contact them.

I`m sure there are one or two more things we can do. So let`s go for it.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlisson View Post
    Do Vi think about to join the free2play market?
    If this game ends like some chinese cash game mmos where you have to pay for gear xyz, I am definitely gone.

And lov, it is all nice what you say, but we are not here to give others a occupational therapy, if they want to play they play it, if they don't I won't carry all to their backsite on a silverplate.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

That is how you handle such Tako- I see it different- I act different.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Something else to consider: website links.

For instance, how many of our guilds have their own websites? Now, how many of those websites allow links? Now, how many have links to http://www.istaria.com or to http://play.istaria.com or http://community.istaria.com ?
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Kind of a goofy question. Yes, there are plans.

1. Fix bugs, reduce the barriers that prevent people from playing
    Vista has been an issue for a really long time now and no resolution. BIG BARRIER.

PS: and no, work arounds that work for some and not for others is not a solution!
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Hmm, I figured Vista was going to come up at some point. XD

I have avoided using that OS, thankfully, but I do know someone who made an account and started the 2-week trial but only got on once or twice before the Vista frustrations caused them to cancel their subscription. I'm sure everyone knows at least one person in a similar situation, if they aren't in it themselves. Adding support for Vista would go a long ways for the player base of Horizons.

Er, Istaria.
    <----clicky!

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    If this game ends like some chinese cash game mmos where you have to pay for gear xyz, I am definitely gone.

And lov, it is all nice what you say, but we are not here to give others a occupational therapy, if they want to play they play it, if they don't I won't carry all to their backsite on a silverplate.
    i dont understand your arguments

you pay 15 Dollars per month
    you pay nothing per month and can voluntary pay Dollars to get ingame stuff (but you are able to get this stuff with a lot of ingame money too)

no monthly fee is better for the community, even if you dont want to play you can chat with your friends?

Sorry, but did you play a free mmo yet?

The communites are always horrible, full of l33t kiddies and such stuff. Often people can buy the most epic gear there in the cash shop, and others that worked in the past hard for their stuff are sure be pissed. You want to see people run around with t6 gear that played less a few days what others worked years for? That would be sure the dead shot for the game, trust me.

And if you want to chat with you friends, get a messenger or chat programm.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

F2P is a completely invalid option for a game like Istaria, Vlisson. I could write an essay to explain why, but it's not worth the effort since you appear to be the only one who needs convincing.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

So think of Istaria as being free to play, just with a mandatory $14.95 fee for your property deed.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

What LO said is exactly right.

Istaria is free to play. You pay 9.95 per month for character slots and updates to the game. You then have the option to pay an additional 5 per month (if you pay month to month) for a plot or lair.

Trust me, ANY MMO that I have ever looked at that has a "free to play" model ends up costing considerably more per month to play than just $15. You don't get nearly the number of real updates, either, because the design team is often so busy trying to come up with new items for people to purchase that they aren't focused on the sort of content that the Virtrium team is focusing on building Istaria on.

This debate has gone around and around numerous times on this forum, and it always ends in the same place.

1) Everyone who plays Istaria currently is much better off financially and socially with the current subscription model.

2) The development of the game is much better off with a predictable (to some degree anyway) revenue stream from subscriptions.

3) The business model of a game has to be designed from the ground up as either subscription based OR purchased items based. There is no feasible way to turn Istaria into a "free" to play (which it would be far from free) model without destroying most everything it is now and starting over.

EDIT: With that said, please turn the thread back to "on topic". If anyone has realistic suggestions for how we can get word out to those interested in trying Istaria, either again or for the first time, the suggestions are welcome.

Be forewarned however that if your only suggestion says anything about "Vista", I reserve the right to remove your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    Trust me, ANY MMO that I have ever looked at that has a "free to play" model ends up costing considerably more per month to play than just $15.
    Seriously - just ask anyone with a Webkinz account...
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    Seriously - just ask anyone with a Webkinz account...
    as someone who has always ended up paying something to play a 'free game' (dragonfable, adventurequest, and gothador spring instantly to mind), i can and will totally second vel's and lo's statements.
    there are no free games!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information