Thread: Truth in labeling

Tahrl

Default Truth in labeling

My suggestion is to somehow make it clear to new plot owners that they'll need twice the amounts listed on the construction tab of the plot window to complete their plot.

My Story
    I've never been involved with buildinga player-owned structure before, but I can usually figure things out, so I decided to give it a shot. I purchased a plot, selected a house to build, and got to work making boards, bricks, and bars.I even wrote down the specific list of materials, as shown on the construction tab of the plot window,to give myself some idea ofthe scope of the project I'd undertaken.

At the end of each night's gathering or miningI wouldask a carpenter, mason,or fitter tostand beside a finishing machineand return to me the timbers, blocks, or sheetsthey wouldmake with the boards, bricks, and bars I was handing them. After a week of this routine I had in my vault all of the components listed on the construction tab of the plot window in the exact quantities specified. I was ready to build my house, right?

Ok, all you people that know where I'm going with this stop laughing for a minute. Go get a tissue, wipe the tears from your eyes, blow your nose, and clear your headbefore you continue reading because I need your full attention...

My work was only HALF DONE! Apparently not even the greatest buildersin Istaria can apply these building components to my house without throwing one away as scrap for every one they successfully manage to incorporate into the structure. There is a minimum 2:1 ratio at maximum crafter effeciency. Therefore, if the construction tab says you need 500 Oak Construction Timbers, you really need 1000 of them because half of them will be thrown in the dumpster by the crafter as he miscuts, mismeasures, and wrecks overall haovc on your precious inventory of building materials.

Almost everyone in Horizons plays around with thecrafting process at least once prior to buying a plot later in the game. We all know that when you select a formula,you're presented witha list of the components necessary to createthe given item, and if you have those components in your inventoryyou get theitem. Following that logic and the expectation of a consist look and feelthroughoutan interface, doesn't it seem a fair assumption that if you select a structure and see a list of the components necessary to create that structure, you can collect those components and get the structure?

Default Re: Truth in labeling

hehehe - I felt exactly the same way the first time I took up construction.

But, after all the construction I've done in my time, I think that it's only fair that you 'throw away half of your materials' or 'make it double as strong(?)'.

I don't believe that a warning or a notice of some sort declaring that you will need double resources to build something should be incorporated.

Experience is best given from somebody who already knows is what I believe. So, ask people in your guild, friends or people in public who would've done construction before. You'll find that the majority of people are willing to give information.

FYI: Double-click on a row stating what you need (skill/resourcewise) and the quantity that you need of it, and you will find a 5:1 to 2:1 application rate will be noted. Depending on how much of the respective skill you have.
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Thread Information