Thread: New formula, scale painting?

Default New formula, scale painting?

Ok, I love a lot of the new masks that dragons have now, I have a very old one that looks like a skull, I also have the new helmet mask. But every time I put them on, I sigh and think about how cool it would be to actually wear those on the battle field.

My question is: why isn't there a way to incorporate mask designs into functional battle scales?

Another question is, if dragons can wear masks that appear on their face, is it possible to wear scales that show up in some design or manor on other parts of their body?

In the very least I really wish that the mask scales were funtional, I don't really understand why some of them haven't been made into functional scales, mabe with special effects that no other items have.

* snuffles curiously*
    [Visit The Order Underground]

Default Re: New formula, scale painting?

You know Callak, that's one awsome idea !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    You know Callak, that's one awsome idea !!!!
    I second that!

Hmm what if there was a rune that showed on the dragons body for each of a specific kind of scale worn?

* snuffles curiously*

Quote Originally Posted by CallakDW View Post
    Another question is, if dragons can wear masks that appear on their face, is it possible to wear scales that show up in some design or manor on other parts of their body?
    Actually Callak, there is, the mask function will map textures to any part of the body, check out my mummy mod in the mods section, that took the mummy skin and mapped it over the whole body using a normal mask. I actually suggested masks that were more of whole body seasonal decoration in http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=20027 as it would possibly be easy to do and the funtion is present in the game already with no further code.

---
    Soraii / Alaysar

Oh, that would be lovely indeed!
    I'm so supporting this idea!

Racia Trejan & Trica - Helians of Chaos
    Salama Lizran - Lunus of Unity --> Chaos (alive but retired)

This sounds like a good idea! Just hope it doesn't get shot down because of too much work like other scale eye-candy changes in the past.
    <----clicky!

What if they made a basic design and let the players have a chance to design the scale armor, similar to the seasonal head scales? There's pleanty of talented artist here, Im sure we could come up with some pretty stunning ones

I know this is upping the antie quite a bit but going beyond textures, if you look at the fact that shoulder puppets are also scales that make a 3D object appear on a dragon, you can do the same thing with scales that actually appear in some way in 3D on the dragon.

While I do think a dragon in armor would look cool, and I would actually like to see it, I don't think it goes along with the dragon attitude and lore, but tecnically I think it could be done.

As far as full body textures, if anyone has seen some of the MacFarlain dragon models, you will note that the dragons have themselves sketched with runes on different parts of their body. This is what I would emagine how the scales might show on a dragons body in hz. If you are wearing a scale of power on your chest, a rune of power would show up on your chest, if you are wearing a scale of strength on your wing, a rune of strength would be aparent on that wing.

* snuffles curiously*

While I do think a dragon in armor would look cool, and I would actually like to see it, I don't think it goes along with the dragon attitude and lore, but tecnically I think it could be done.
    Well masks are looking like a dragon helmet and they're taking a scale slot. So to me, a piece of dragon armor per scale slot doesn't seem lore-breaking.

As far as full body textures, if anyone has seen some of the MacFarlain dragon models, you will note that the dragons have themselves sketched with runes on different parts of their body. This is what I would emagine how the scales might show on a dragons body in hz. If you are wearing a scale of power on your chest, a rune of power would show up on your chest, if you are wearing a scale of strength on your wing, a rune of strength would be aparent on that wing.
    I've never noticed the runes on my McFarlan models !
    And I like that idea too, it could be done more easily than armor modelling I think.

I'd at least like the helm I wear around to have some sort of actual use. |D That said, even just runes textured onto the dragons would be cool. There could be lore regarding the dragons re-discovering an old form of protection-based magic.

Well the mask changes as shown with the mummy, which i thought was a costume and something different would be a full body change. I.E. you would not keep your current colors, but would be completely retextered.

The Head scales would be the easiest to do, I would guess. But again it comes down art time for making scale art. Which would be the same for replacing the sholder pets. but that would only be for one shoulder as they would need programing time for the other locations.

Actually Deth... if you look at the mummy mod, it's laying the new texture over your old as shown by your texture still being visible at the trailing adge of the wings where the mummy texture get jagged and doesnt cover it, the string layerName = "dragon_mask" that is a whole additional layer on top of your texture. One could do a partial texture and say... add snow collecting on top of the dragon? Or how about a giftwrapped dragon overlay for giving yourself to someone on the holidays? The functuion has somany "neat" possible applications...

I for one would like to see if it's possible for 2 different scales to overlay in different areas or if one would override the other... however sadly with only what's in the game for me to fiddle with there are only head slot items... and I have yet to find the 2-headed dragon player model >_>

Soraii

Ah ok I did not know that on the mummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soraii View Post
    ? Or how about a giftwrapped dragon overlay for giving yourself to someone on the holidays?
    You just made me nearly spilling my drink because of laughing. How cute is that, a dragon gifting itself to someone. I can imagine several dragons gifting themselves to gnomes just to ... hmm eat them.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Maybe this could be more easily accomplished using the costumes? Something like a costume that could be turned on or off.

I think I would rather have a "whole look" to choose from rather than my scales themselves visible. For one, I think the scales would tend to be ugly-ish unless artists/modelers make some really nice designs. Which is going down the road of too much dev time possibly. Plus, my scales are dyed and the dyes chosen indicate a function. with limited number of colors, and trying to choose colors that made sense to the function, some are ugly colors like brown and light blue. If all the sudden they were visible my dragon would look bad. very bad. especially when crafting.

Put them on anyway, and dare any naka to laugh!!

*cough*

I mean,

The 'whole look' look may be the best to implement.

And it would give more purpose to our coloring our scalesets.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

I quite honestly would say that new scales would not be difficult to make, OR as part of this enhansement, all dies could be removed from all existing scales in the game automatically, and will have to be reapplied no big loss there right? Also remember we talked about several ways of showing scales. One was the runes. The runes could simply show up as the color the scales are died.

* snuffles curiously*

I think dragon scales would be very cool lots of work though im not sure how exactly graphics work but sounds like a job. they could intern it just so people could try *shrugs* i would love to see Agua with battle scales

Thread Information