Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate use for Hoard Items

Default Alternate use for Hoard Items

Could we have an alternate use for all the hoard items found as loot please?

Maybe they could be deconstructed for some of the basic materials. Like a silver bell gets you some silver bars if deconstructed.

Perhaps they could have a pawn broker value?

Maybe even a Hoard of our own that could be used for something. Give them to the "gods" for "points" to spend to get something like the nice buffs from the blessed tablets/ trinkets etc.
    Recall with cargo disk, use "points" with a reuse timer.

There must be other good Ideas

Default Re: Alternate use for Hoard Items

Maybe sell them or give them to dragons? trade then for something like said resources? really makes no sense to pawn em when most dragons will gladly buy/trade for em.

Though it might be fun for both bipeds and dragons to maybe sacrifice or trade them to a faction for something..maybe like a worshiper of Drulkar for dragons and somebody interested in the ancient/rare trinkets for history/study for bipeds?

who knows but definitly rarely a shortage of dragons interested in working for it at a fair compensation

The original design for them called for hoard items to have coin values. But we decided to remove the coin value so that players would feel compelled to sell or give them to Dragons instead of just pawning them.

I can quite easily add the coin value back.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The original design for them called for hoard items to have coin values. But we decided to remove the coin value so that players would feel compelled to sell or give them to Dragons instead of just pawning them.

I don't think that would be a good move.

Ry- give it to poor purple dragons pleeeease

No seriously- sell it, if you do not know a starving "winged friend".
    We`re always happy to find hoard in consis!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

*breath of ice@amon*
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I agree with Akul, Zex and Lov. You can always give them to dragons; I mean, there's loads of us. We're EVERYWHERE! *infestation* XD

I get the same thing alot when I end up with hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of jillions of biped forms and such. I'll happily offer them to any biped that happens to cross my path--when I do resort to selling them, it's purely to just make space in my already-stuffed inventory and vault. :P Then I'll only find a jillion more, offer them, if they're not taken, I have to clear my pack again. Rinse and repeat.

You shouldn't have the same problem though, isn't too hard to find a dragon running around in Istaria. X3

Just see if you can trade them for something useful to you. :P

~Galde

There are a few items that need to have more uses, like bounty markers. Some things need to have more intrinsic value. Give us choices on how to "spend" things.

I have been waiting for over a decade for something like the "sacrifice" system you described, Ry. Last time I saw anything like it in any game was in a MUD I was an admin on.

Drev

Unfortunately Drevar, a sacrifice system really doesn't fit with lore in Istaria.

But yes, dual use items are good.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post

Maybe they could be deconstructed for some of the basic materials. Like a silver bell gets you some silver bars if deconstructed.

Maybe even a Hoard of our own that could be used for something. Give them to the "gods" for "points" to spend to get something like the nice buffs from the blessed tablets/ trinkets etc.

Don't be suprised: I think anything at all that changes what hoards sole purpose is would be a bad idea.

If a player does not want to share or sell the hoard he loots, I would rather they delete it than decon it for resources. If its made pawnable the pawn buy vaule should be very low so as not to compete with people who do sell it... nah pawning it is a bad idea too.

We have bottle cap collection quests; couldn't we also have hoard collection quests? Have an NPC that asks for a complete Tier specific hoard collection. The NPC would most likely be a dragon. I know a couple of tiers might be a bit hard to complete with the rare drops like tomes, etc., but still, something similar would be nice.

At one time I had a whole system designed for multiple uses and exchange rates for lore tokens and bounty markers, but since I broke a cardinal rule in game design and didnt write it down, it essentially "never happened". It did involve removing regular, non-special forms and techs from mob drops however and making everything purchaseable via trade of tokens and markers.

I may dig through the brain webs and piece it back together and post the ideas later.

Drev

Edit - I also just recalled that Ultima Online added a sacrifice system for Paladins when they were introduced a few years ago.

I like the idea of a quest for turning in collections. But do have to wonder on the impact to dragons and being able to buy horde.

Quote Originally Posted by Akuluxtraxas View Post
    Maybe sell them or give them to dragons? trade then for something like said resources? really makes no sense to pawn em when most dragons will gladly buy/trade for em.
    I fail to see why the OP would want to destroy such valuable hoard simply because they have no use for it. I would FAR rather buy it off of folks than see it get melted down to useless coin. *shudders* Or even turned in for a quest...
    <----clicky!

I wasnt suggesting to "destroy" the hoard items, thats easy to do just delete them, I was suggesting that they have a use other than Dragon Hoard only.

Maybe deconstruction is a poor idea

If I had some option to "hoard" the Hoard items myself, and be able to do something with those "hoard" points these items would be of more interest.

Just that the system of using those points seems to be "in game " allready so why not let everyone have a use for it, it could possibly make the game more interesting.

Well I suppose you could melt hoard items down for resources... but I tend to keep quite a few hoardables in my scalepack, and there are a few items I was given at special times that will never be hoarded.

Sometimes it's fun to use hoard as a reward, rather than just giving it away ... especially the more valuable items. Even if it's a reward for just doing something in the Istarian way or doing something daft just for the adventure.

Perhaps if hoard items had cash value, it would help to cure the low price of hoard items at consigners and the 250k hoard requirement for the Rites of Passage would become tough to meet as it should be. It annoys me when dragons on a 14-day trial expect to fly in a few days. On Wind it took me Months and Months to raise the 250k.

Rakku

Edit: "Give them to the "gods" for "points" to spend to get something like the nice buffs from the blessed tablets/ trinkets etc." ... I like that idea.

If I had some option to "hoard" the Hoard items myself, and be able to do something with those "hoard" points these items would be of more interest.
    HAHAHA be careful what you ask for or you might get all your attack powers tied to hoard... *chuckles*

Personally I could definitely see putting in some type of hoard tier quests - much like the trophy quests or something that bipeds could turnin a certain number of a certain type for...cash or IBMs or...tokens..or whatever.

However, I'd also limit them to maybe 2-5 turnins per tier - so that way it doesn't consume all hoards given to bipeds and then we can still have some available on the connies and such...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post

I understand that it is far from fun to loot large amounts of hoard items when you are playing a biped. I must add however that as dragon depending on the type of mob I am hunting I loot a lot more biped forms/tech then draconic forms/tech. I would dare to say 80% biped, 20% dragonic. If you loot a lot, sell them cheap or give it away... many hatchies would love to get some nice T4-5 hoarditems.

My main dragon character is old. He was created before the multiple EU dimensions were merged into 1 named Unity. During his hatchling days Hoard items were rare and had to kill dozens of mobs to get a brass bell. I had to get my hoard up for RoP by own crafted scales or higher tier Scales given to me by other. I do not want to go back to those days.

The idea of bipeds using a hoard system could be fun and considering the current multiclassing system for bipeds or lack of for dragons could be used for abilities not officially learned by current adventure school.
    Although honestly I think that it is kind of strange since bipeds dont really have the same facination for such riches a dragon has.

Another idea is to create an NPC were they can give them away for coin, IMB's, LT's. Usable by dragons too of course if they happen to need any.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Here is my idea which was in another thread long ago when it comes to hoard.

Personnally i would like to see us be able to spend hoard to acquire new abilties. Wasnt there some lore long ago that stated a dragons hoard was an example of his power or wealth? I could see like having several sets of skill trees with different abitlies. The skill trees could cover certain improvements to dragons with both active and passive abilities in several areas (lord knows there are a ton of dragons who want to be able to cast prime bolt a lot faster without having to always ask a biped for alacrity). Of course to keep it balanced each ability you acquire raises the cost of the next one (kind of like when the bipeds are lvling a ton of adv classes, the xp becomes so small at some point its almost non-existant) so at some point even farming high hoard dropping monsters, it would still take a long time to get ALL the abilities.

There also needs to be a way to "forget" an ability (like biped schools) since we have no idea what a particular ability is like. Would be dumb to get an ability that we find totally useless (of course extensive testing would need to be done).

To put it in game you could have an npc who knows certain abilities and is willing to teach you should you help him build his hoard by contributing someof yours to it (you would of course have to invent some story to make it sound better).

This should be available only to ancients. Except for the ancient dragon breath and spiked scales, in terms of combat power they are too close. The skill set for ancients would make them far stronger which they should be.

But at least dragons would start to differ from one another because of the available options open to them. Of course a lot of planning would have to be done to even begin something like this, and they are probably more focused on other stuff atm. Might be more interesting to have a little diversity among our kind. But like i said it would be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way off if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonfyre View Post
    Here is my idea which was in another thread long ago when it comes to hoard.

Personnally i would like to see us be able to spend hoard to acquire new abilties. Wasnt there some lore long ago that stated a dragons hoard was an example of his power or wealth? I could see like having several sets of skill trees with different abitlies. The skill trees could cover certain improvements to dragons with both active and passive abilities in several areas (lord knows there are a ton of dragons who want to be able to cast prime bolt a lot faster without having to always ask a biped for alacrity). Of course to keep it balanced each ability you acquire raises the cost of the next one (kind of like when the bipeds are lvling a ton of adv classes, the xp becomes so small at some point its almost non-existant) so at some point even farming high hoard dropping monsters, it would still take a long time to get ALL the abilities.

There also needs to be a way to "forget" an ability (like biped schools) since we have no idea what a particular ability is like. Would be dumb to get an ability that we find totally useless (of course extensive testing would need to be done).

To put it in game you could have an npc who knows certain abilities and is willing to teach you should you help him build his hoard by contributing someof yours to it (you would of course have to invent some story to make it sound better).

This should be available only to ancients. Except for the ancient dragon breath and spiked scales, in terms of combat power they are too close. The skill set for ancients would make them far stronger which they should be.

But at least dragons would start to differ from one another because of the available options open to them. Of course a lot of planning would have to be done to even begin something like this, and they are probably more focused on other stuff atm. Might be more interesting to have a little diversity among our kind. But like i said it would be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way off if ever.
    Very nice, but why should it be only available for ancients?
    I can agree with you that some to be upgraded skills can be made ancient only, but some other skills should be adult as well if they wish to upgrade themselfs a little, maybe in preperation before ARoP.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Unfortunately Drevar, a sacrifice system really doesn't fit with lore in Istaria.
    Restore coin value.

Reduce greatly hoard drop rate . . . . better to match lore (source of items).

Revamp hoard "tiers", as in lowered exponential rate . . . . as has been posted before.

Done.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Thread Information