Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Crazy Gold Burst Thread (you have been warned)

Default Re: Crazy Gold Burst Thread (you have been warned)

Yes if you have not picked up the tone from the Devs yet, I think, they are not happy with the one trick pony GR makes dragons, as well as the front in/concentrated damage it does.

Yep, they need to settle on what to do with GR first.

A direct copy of GR based on primal but doing say, slash damage would still be a bit unbalanced (besides the already unbalanced damage) due to the use of primal. Magic evasion and primal wards are still (I believe) below their physical counterparts on most mobs.

Drev

Gasp! I have the solution! GALD Rage! *pummeled to death by rocks*

I know, I know... I just had to say it lol

Really though, it may be best to just leave Gold Rage as is for now. It's better to nerf or change the attack when you have a clear idea of what you want to do with it, rather than trying to figure out a permanent solution beforehand...

To be honest, I never much liked Gold Rage. I use it constantly, mind you, and I'm addicted to it like all the other dragons, but I saw it as a major upset and an entirely lazy thing to do. At the time, I had written a ten page document detailing where the race was and what it needed to be, or could be, and my only response was "Gold Rage" (and not to me directly, mind you!). It was almost enough for me to quit the game and, with the exception of the lore in which I feel personally vested, I've never put as much energy into this game since.

Sadly, my ideas were probably outside the abilities of previous developers, due to resources, time, crew, and the game itself. And while admittedly I'd love to see them revived again, I think the same gremlins will haunt this game for as long as it lives.

As a historian (character), nothing thrills me more than opening old wounds, so here were those ideas in brief.

Option One: Prestige Classes
    Example: Dragon Eldrich, a spell caster with abilities dealing with spells, including multicast and a wider range of primal spells.

Challenges: How to deal with the current Dragon class and the quests directly linked to it, especially hoard-driven abilities (which didn't exist at the time of this idea)

Option Two: Forms
    Example: Dragon Pygmy, literally a small dragon with rabbit-like hind legs that hops more than walks. Specializes in special form abilities that emphasize avoidance and speed.

Challenges: Artist rendering of several new dragon models would take time, not easily supported by lore, disallowing use of abilities in form (see khutit for instance, which doesn't turn breath off, it just makes it useless)

---

Ultimately, it's too late to implement those as they were. But until someone upstairs shows any interest in utilizing those ideas or any new ones I might come up with, I'm not going to waste any real energy in writing such things up.

(This post has been brought to you by: Server Maintenance.)
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerisk View Post
    But until someone upstairs shows any interest in utilizing those ideas or any new ones I might come up with, I'm not going to waste any real energy in writing such things up.
    I'd retract this, but the edit feature disappears after a few minutes. >.>;

I suppose it isn't fair to say something like this. For one, a minor nod was given my way, and another is that I haven't had a huge amount of contact with this administration besides talking about old lore and retcons.

This statement, however, is indicative of how wounded I've felt by this game in the past. This means two things: One, that I greatly loved and still love Istaria; Two, that because of those wounds I am still wary about most every action taken in this game but am generally not willing to put myself in the position to be hurt again.

I'll try to come up with some new ideas and post them up when I get some time.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Editting must be done within, I believe, 30 minutes.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

And people have to realize - that while "dragon caster" and "dragon mage" and whatever were the beta dragon classes (basically bipeds with a dragon skin) - the devs have always stated that is NOT the way they want to go.

PErsonally I don't WANT to be a biped in a dragon skin...

Now, I don't mind a bit more personalization as far as caster vs. melee (a few abilities to each side that you have to choose one or hte other, etc.) - but I think at *this* point in the development, given the resources and crew we have - anything additional to that is just not realistic.

Its unrealistic to expect entirely new types of dragons. Its unrealistic to expect entirely new classes of dragons (i.e. your dragon mage, or your dragon tank, dragon healer, etc.). They barely have a crew large enough to address ongoing bugs/problems and introducing any type of new content. We all see how long a single dungeon has taken to put into the game.

So post new ideas and everything - but don't be surprised if the devs shoot you down - because honestly that's a whole *different* game - and I don't see the resources being available to build things like that.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Well...i would like to see gold burst put into the game as well...maybe it doesn't need to be just like gold rage...it could be something like multicast and/or perfect spell for dragons. Now i know the issue is with kiting...but already dragons can kite by hitting with tailwhip then gold rage and then run around again.

Thread Information