Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racial sequestered areas

Default Re: Racial sequestered areas

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    Aginst my better judgment im making another comment on this...
    I fail to see how that makes it sslik acessable, it shows that sslik are nomads who prefer to wonder and only settle temporarily but not that they should have access to everywhere.

Quite frankly why is it so bad that dragons, who, some at least, by lore tend to prefer to live apart from the other races, have an island that fits said lore? Is it really the resorces/mobs? Just remove them, like everyone has said, with the exception of Monsoon who's for AROP, there's better places to hunt/gather resources. Why not just remove all that?

If its because of the lairs, many of them arent acessable by foot anyways. Heck there's a lair that you have to be an ancient just to reach, an adult can neither fly or climb up there, I've tried. There arent that many occupied lairs there anyways do to its remoteness. Why not demand the portal (thats supposed to be coming to the live shards) to the dragon communites north of Trandalar Rift be ped acessable too? After all you cant reach it on foot unless you risk your life going thru the water, and there's lairs in and around Dralk, and Chiconis that arent easily ped acessable, too should we demand that the terrain be fixed so that peds can reach those lairs too?

Quite frankly Im sick to death of this argument, its a stupid island filled with dragon only lairs, its not some nirvana that lets dragons get to level 100 just by sitting for 5 mins or say poof and have a lair instantly built. Its an island filled with jagged peaks, and very few flat areas, even fewer of which are connected. There's really no stunning views of note other than a waterfall at the port in and if you want that I'll happily supply a screenshot of it. Or you can make a little throw away hatchling and see for yourself.
    If the Island is so bad, in your opinion, let's ask the Developers to remove it. That way all arguments can stop. No Island, No argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    If the Island is so bad, in your opinion, let's ask the Developers to remove it. That way all arguments can stop. No Island, No argument.
    Then in the same breath, let's ask them for more dragon lair guild towns and replacement lairs around the rest of Istaria.

[QUOTE]
    Then in the same breath, let's ask them for more dragon lair guild towns and replacement lairs around the rest of Istaria.

I dun think so. Lairs kinda just slip nicely into a natural setting without disturbing it, AND they aren't half as laggy as biped plots. I live in Ker'Tis--lotsa lairs there, but I run smooth as silk. Baker? There's like... I dunno, 5-6 biped plots? Owch. Owch and owch a third time, and don't even get me -started- about Selen! XDD

I think you need to cool down and stop being so sore; don't take that as an insult, but you do genuinely seem upset. Please don't be upset, it's nothing to be upset about.

~Galde
    Last edited by Amarie Ancalimon; February 9th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    Myself I say give Bipeds an island that we dragons can no reach. I have no problem with it.
    It might even be realised lore wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Istarian Timeline thread
    600 B.R. Vandus Declares Humans Free of Dragons – With Vandus as their undisputed leader, Humans declared themselves free from their servitude to Dragons. The announcement was met with little resistance by Dragons, who themselves were occupied wth the larger questions about how to deal with a growing and belligerent population.

In the year 600 B.R. when Vandus declared the humans free of servitude to dragons a small group of humans (fearing for their lives should a full scale war against the dragons come to pass) decided to leave the mainland of Istaria in search of new lands free of dragons. Nobody who stayed behind ever heard from them again, however while presumed dead and soon forgotten the small colony flourished on the furtile island and began to develop at a steady pace in all aspects. The few mages that went with the group together with new apprentices began researching of very powerfull magic. This after many years of research let to the discovery of a strong magic shield allowing only those carrying a special emblem to pass. Soon it was decided to activate the shield and scouts were to be send back to the mainland to rescue the other races from the in their eyes evil dragons. Because of this the construction of boats to sail back to the mainland began.
    All we need is an island and a NPC location / Portal location so the bipeds can "flee" from the dragons.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Galdethriel View Post
    I don't mean to be rude but... catnip fields? XD I think maybe the Saris could be given something a bit more dignified. Catnip fields to me seems a bit degrading. A lot degrading. XD They're not little fuzzballs that go chasing balls of wool and saying 'Meow! Meow!' (actually, no RL cats do or so I've seen XD )--these are a civilised and intelligent people that deserve respect. I mean no disrespect myself, but I'd have to give a big no-no for catnip fields.

That being said, the rest of the suggestions were really great. :P

~Galde
    *chuckles* you are right about that. what i was actually envisioning was a savannah-like area (think where lions traditionally live in africa) with fabric plants, but for a two word description did not get my brain to come up with anything suitable.

to be completely honest, i'm most aligned with what valornyx said:
    There should be no lands that are sequestered on the basis of race. But the whole dragon vs biped thing gets really, really, really old. Open up Drakul to the bipeds and have done with it.
    i don't think isolation fosters interspecies cooperation - and i think istaria is wonderful because it does foster so much cooperation. i'd rather see it build on that. i mainly posted this suggestion because a friendly dragon suggested that i do.

interesting how if it's "no big deal" for bipeds to be excluded from the dragon-only islands, that so many dragons get their tails in a knot at the idea of bipeds having access. things are rarely a big deal in one direction. what are we going to do to the area?

No sequestered racial areas in Istaria,
    but put Dragon-NPCs, who provide psychological help, to certain locations.
    E.g. Drakul or Draak^^
    Whenever you start to sweat, when you see a biped on Drakul-
    you can get a therapy for free

Enviousness and segregation should not be in a dragon`s soul
    especially not, when we consider the rumor, that there is deadly evil comming
    from a labyrinth, deep in the heart of Istaria.

And btw: Thank you neighbours of Mia`s edge, that we can live here, peacefully on our plot- though we are dragons
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I don't particularly like the idea of these race-only islands. I'm with Valornyx on this one; just give bipeds access to Drakul (and anywhere else that's dragon-only except maybe Skalkaar) and be done with it. I never really understood why it was made dragon-only in the first place. It's pretty, it has mobs and resources, and it's not like Drakul is supposed to be run by Lunus, is it? I don't like seeing places restricted like that, and I'd rather see it that anyone can go where they want to go.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I don't particularly like the idea of these race-only islands. I'm with Valornyx on this one; just give bipeds access to Drakul (and anywhere else that's dragon-only except maybe Skalkaar) and be done with it. I never really understood why it was made dragon-only in the first place. It's pretty, it has mobs and resources, and it's not like Drakul is supposed to be run by Lunus, is it? I don't like seeing places restricted like that, and I'd rather see it that anyone can go where they want to go.
    I believe the lore surrounding Drakul states it was created by Drulkar, the first Dragon as a home for Dragons. Lunus' very nature is one of contempt for the lesser races. This is the current day political atmosphere.

There are already other racial sequestered areas:

Skalkaar : Dragon only (starting island)

Spirit Isle: Biped only (starting island)

Although for these I think it was simply to avoid distractions for the beginning player, I cannot recall any lore either way regarding these isles. Although I do specifically recall Lord Ryson Stormbringer on spirit isle demanding that (any dragon present) leave immediately as they are not welcome there.

So keep in mind you have all sorts of lore in various places, that is going to be contradicted or made meaningless if bipeds were allowed on dragon homelands. Because by virtue, this whole argument will then be made in the reverse direction for Spirit Isle, then for Skalkaar. And all those npc's will have to have their chat/lore rewritten.

In the end simply a waste of time imho.

For a quick example of Lunus views on the lesser races, simply run your biped out to the Council of Elders, sneak in, and greet the council members.... (be ready to run if they mistake you for lunch)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I believe the lore surrounding Drakul states it was created by Drulkar, the first Dragon as a home for Dragons. Lunus' very nature is one of contempt for the lesser races. This is the current day political atmosphere.

There are already other racial sequestered areas:

Skalkaar : Dragon only (starting island)

Spirit Isle: Biped only (starting island)

Although for these I think it was simply to avoid distractions for the beginning player, I cannot recall any lore either way regarding these isles. Although I do specifically recall Lord Ryson Stormbringer on spirit isle demanding that (any dragon present) leave immediately as they are not welcome there.

So keep in mind you have all sorts of lore in various places, that is going to be contradicted or made meaningless if bipeds were allowed on dragon homelands.

For a quick example of Lunus views on the lesser races, simply run your biped out to the Council of Elders, sneak in, and greet the council members.... (be ready to run if they mistake you for lunch)
    Hmm. Lets see.

1. The Council members are neither Lunus nor Helian. They pre-date the Great Schism.

2. Dragon belief that Drulkar created the island is just a belief, i.e. myth, nothing more.

3. Contempt seems a bit strong and doesn't apply to the general philosophy of the Lunus faction.

4. I don't see how any lore for a location could be made meaningless by a non-Dragon being present there. Now, building plots might do that. But wandering? Nah, I don't think so.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

One thing to remember It is not just Lunus that might not want Bipeds on Drulkar, Helians look on bipeds as a lesser race as well and might want the island as a haven from them.

Do not forget that the Void is Dragon only as well.

I would think that if dragons believed it was made by Drulkar that it would be reason alone to restrict bipeds from the Island to keep it a pristine tie to their god. As Deth said, Helians generally look on bipeds as a lesser race as well.

From a bipeds view, I can see nothing useful at Drakul except essence. It's a source of wonder. "Wow. What's out there that dragons can get? What's to be seen?" I like that there's an area that, as a saris, I can't reach.

Which brings up that interspecies dependancy (or whatever you call it) again: Currently only dragons can obtain mandrake roots. It's about the only thing we can get that bipeds get despite the fact that there's almost no existing demand for it. Star anise is obtainable by bipeds.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Hmm. Lets see.

1. The Council members are neither Lunus nor Helian. They pre-date the Great Schism.
    True. However a biped chatting with them reveals their attitude quite clearly.

Their association to Lunus is simply in the council chambers' proximity, as well as their displayed attitude. It could be said they are simply toying with the intruder, as I have not heard of anyone actually being eaten by a Council member. (not that it couldn't have happened

2. Dragon belief that Drulkar created the island is just a belief, i.e. myth, nothing more.
    Beliefs are the basis of all political views and religions. Dragons believe that Drulkar created the island for him, though in reality unless Drulkar is himself a god of Istaria its probably not true. I doubt this point actually matters to those of strong conviction.

3. Contempt seems a bit strong and doesn't apply to the general philosophy of the Lunus faction.
    It was the only word I could think of at the time of that post. Disdain might be a better choice.

4. I don't see how any lore for a location could be made meaningless by a non-Dragon being present there. Now, building plots might do that. But wandering? Nah, I don't think so.
    Not the lore behind the location, the lore behind the views that 'supposedly' led to the current status (of no bipeds being allowed present). The real point I was trying to make is that if this argument continues and it is decided the lunus dragon who controls attunement to Drakul is somehow persuaded or forced to attune bipeds, this simply goes against the grain of the lore surrounding dragons, specifically Lunus.

Then it will be argued that dragons must be allowed on Spirit Isle (oh no a biped only island!) and it will be getting rediculous. When will the merry-go-round stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    "Just a little easier here."
    "Just a little easier there."
    "It's not asking for much."

Pretty soon you end up with Hello Kitty Online. No thanks.

Drev
    This quote just says all.

I hate it when in games the factions mean nothing, like when the devs decided in Vanguard simply to put the faction system out and you could then jump around as dark elf happy in the cities where they where kill on sight before.

The Gifted are supposed to work together, but they don't have to love and hug each other everytime they see a other, or drag them to every other place.

That thread is so similar when the biped whined for the new dragon spells that they could scribe them, and they devs gave them what they wanted that they simply stop.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

I have moved this thread into general as its not really a suggestion, but more of a discussion. I've also re-opened it. Please keep it civil and keep the attacks to a minimum.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; February 9th, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I respectfully must disagree with Amon and where this thread belongs.

While it did not start out as a "Rant", it has quickly degenerated in to a "biped versus dragon" thread where players are being disrespectful of one another and the developers alike.

I'd ask anyone who is considering posting further on this thread to please stop, read forum rules again, and consider whether whatever you were about to say was truly going to be within those rules.

Any game is going to have the haves and the have nots. As a have not for most of the time, I may not like it but I understand it. If different classes/races do not have different things then what is the fun in playing that class race? But as i have said before I would not care if a Biped only area was added. if I felt the burning need to see it I would make a biped and wonder out to it.

I think what might need done is for everyone to take a look at what their particular character has and ask themselves, 'Do I actually need what others have, or do I just want it because they have it?'--I think that's where a lot of upset stems from. And no, please don't think I'm accusing everyone of this; I'm guilty of it. Really badly guilty. I look at what bipeds have and wish I could have it, but I often don't actually need it. I just want it 'cause they've got it. XD

And I'll reiterate this, I think it's really nice to have access to something bipeds don't--and I'm not saying that in the competitive way! Get this: having access to something others don't means I can be helpful in a special way, have another use. And that is great on a friendly level, you know? :P

Remember, this is an MMO! You're meant to play together; there's meant to be things you simply can't do alone.

It's also got a nice roleplay base to it, which is good too.

And as well as that, if you think about it, bipeds -DO- have a second biped-only island other than the Spirit Isle. And that second island I made a saris and managed to get to once, it was great! So, if you think about it, dragons have two islands and so do bipeds. It's all even

I hope I've said that in the nicest possible way. No offence is intended to anyone

~Galde

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    The Gifted are supposed to work together, but they don't have to love and hug each other everytime they see a other, or drag them to every other place.
    Agreed.

Other than the Saris, I don't think there is any other race that has really reconciled with the Sslik after centuries of persecuting. They are barely even mentioned in Istaria's timeline (shame on you scholars).

The half-giants captured and sold the Saris into slavery for about 300 years. I don't recall their ever being any reconciliation there.

I don't remember all the other racial conflicts, but there is a lot more conflict than just between the bipeds and dragons. At present though, the Withered Aegis are a much greater threat to all living things than we are to each other.

One of the great quotes from "We, the Living"
    “They understand very well, Commander Stormbringer.� Ryson turned to see the young woman, Kendra, frowning at him disapprovingly. “They sent a messenger with the decision of the tribal elders. Yes, they are coming. The decision is made, yet you keep questioning them on it. They are probably trying to decide whether you are being intentionally rude, or if you’re just slow. I’d tell them that you’re slow; they’ll forgive you in that case.�
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

I will go out on a humorous limb here... I say open it to bipeds... have them complain it's so hard to get around... and we will get a widespread series of portals so people with lairs there can get to them easily XD

*laughs*

Soraii/Alaysar

That's actually a really good point Soraii. X3 Drakul is really mountainous... I've never really tried to climb it, though, because I think my first visit there was when I was a new adult.

Gonna hafta get out one of my hatchies and see how difficult it is to traverse :P

~Galde

Thread Information