Thread: Resh Stormclaw - Blinded by Desire

Default Resh Stormclaw - Blinded by Desire

It was posted on the Tales of Order site, but not the forum, so here it is.

Sometimes, you want something so badly that you will go to any length to obtain it. Even lengths that are cause for one's own downfall. Be wary of such desires... - A traveling cleric.

"I know how to help you but... it comes with great risk and always a price. This price however, I do not set and often is not in your favor... If you truly desire a young one as badly as you say, this method is guaranteed to work. But I warn you: take caution in how you place your words, if you wish to continue..." the fortune teller explained to the dragon resting in front of him.

The ancient dragoness sighed. For so long she had wanted a hatchling of her own... to see the other dragons parading around as new and proud parents only made her more depressed with time. It was not that she lacked a mate, but that her blood had been cursed to not continue the lineage.

She remembered that day so clearly... the most hurtful and upsetting moment of her life. To be told of something her A'mea had done and agreed to, that forever changed the bloodline... To come to know what it was, and that it would prevent the blood of the clan from continuing... She had never been the same since. It took years for her to come to terms with it, and even longer to decide to research ways to combat it, all ending in failiure... except one.

The winds whispered many things as travellers come and go through the great portals connecting the world. One spoke of a travelling fortune teller who may be able to aid in the dragoness' plight. And although it took many more years to finally come upon this present moment, to stand before this particular human, it felt like no time had passed.

What the human had said to her made her insatiable desire jump... it was guaranteed that she could at last have herself a hatchling to love and care for! But this desire left her forgetting the other half: it always came with a price the fortune teller did not set. Any elder could have picked up on what this was with a clear mind. The dragoness, however, completely ignored and missed it, something that would forever leave its mark upon her and her young one.

"Do it, naka-duskael." the dragon spoke.

With a sigh, the human went through his preparations, setting up camp for the night. Later in the evening, it all began within the tent of the teller.

He pulled a black velvet satchel from within his pack, reminding the khutit placed before him to choose her words with caution when speaking before reaching into the ebon depths of the bag. From it, he produced a sphere of darkness that hungrily sucked up the light, like a small black hole. He placed the orb upon the table in front of him, secured by the stand for a crystal ball.

"Stand strong..." he noted, as a sudden tempest erupted in the tent, focused around the sphere. It intensified as a thunderous voice erupted from within the eye of the storm:

"WHAT MORTAL STANDS BEFORE ME?!"

"Gaurau Stormclaw." the khutit said sternly, standing strongly.

The tempest calmed and focused around the gem, creating the form of a dark shadow resembling a humanoid, but with grand dragon wings: an Archdemon. This one somehow had been either chained, imprisoned, or connected to this crystal sphere, and judging from its application, it may have been intentional on the demon's part, to meet its own sadistic ends.

"WHAT DOES THIS MORTAL ASK OF ME?!" the demon thundered.

"I have long desired a hatchling of my own, to see at least one child of my own blood." the dragoness spoke again.

"A HATCHLING OF YOUR BLOOD IS YOUR GREATEST DESIRE, THE REASON YOU STAND BEFORE ME TODAY?" the demon questioned, crossing its arms.

"Yes. Will you grant me this wish?" the dragoness asked.

The demon cloud stood up on the table, thoughtfully rubbing its chin and spreading its wings.

"TOUCHING. I WILL GRANT YOUR WISH..." it said sharply with a pause long enough to raise the khutit's hope, before continuing with a wicked and evil smile, accompanied by an equally evil laugh.

"BUT YOU WILL NOT SEE IT, AND I WILL MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT SEE YOU EITHER!" the demon roared, laughing. This had been what the teller had meant by choosing words carefully, as in any opportunity the Archdemon got, it would bend and twist it to entertain his sadistic and evil tendencies. The dragoness had forgotten this rule...

As the cloud tempest vanished, the teller put the sphere back into its pouch, with a sad expression upon his face, knowing he had helped create and destroy a life in one moment.

The khutit walked outside and resumed her usual form, feeling slightly different. No egg had been given to her... had the demon lied? Nonetheless, she thanked the teller for his efforts. The last thing the teller said to her before leaving was "I'm sorry..."

A few days passed and finally the growing feeling that was different became evident as she laid an egg. It was exciting for her, and a happy moment! She tended to it until shortly before it hatched. This moment was the price set by the foul demon she should not have cut a deal with.

Her vision began to fade. Looking and blinking around, she thought at first that some stray ash had clouded her eyes. But it was permanent. Her body gave out under her then, weakened and sapped of strength. She began to panic, wondering what was happening... trying to call for help failed, as her voice was gone. Shortly, her breath was sucked away, dragging her heartbeat into nothingness as life faded, and a squeaking little thing erupted from its eggshell prison with clouded and blind eyes.

If only she knew that this was the same demon that her A'mea had gone to, also forgetting to carefully choose her words and cursing her bloodline... A greedy wish to have so much hoard that her and her children and her grandchildren would be the richest dragons in istaria. While she did recieve her wish of hoard, gold, and platinum, the demon cursed her to not recieve any grandchildren.

Like her mother, the dragoness became blinded by desire so much as to cause her own demise.

And such is how resh stormclaw came to be, a blind hatchling gifted in magic.

Default Re: Resh Stormclaw - Blinded by Desire

Enjoyed.

Irony is always good.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

wow... that's good, I liked it!

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

It has been some time for the little black and red hatchling to learn how to get around without sight. The other senses of taste, touch, and especially hearing and scent had sharpened dramatically in the stead of vision, which she lacked.

Resh was growing finely through adventures in New Trismus, and under the wing of her adoptive A'meo, Lantua. Ah, A'meo... she loved him so much and was always happy to see him awake, even if there was no A'mea there was always A'meo and that was fine.

She spent a lot of time in the sandstone fields learning about grass, rocks, bugs, and dirt, and the uncomfortable feeling associated with accidentally snorting any of the above while sniffing. Dust was manageable, she only needed to snort and it would go away. Bugs were a different problem entirely, and the wriggling was uncomfortable always.

She decided once to sleep out in the field so she could wake up and keep working one night, when her A'meo had overslept a long while. A good sleep it was, except that shadowy figure, bipedal in nature, that approached her in the night with a saddened sigh. "I'm sorry..." he said, as something left his possessions and entered Resh's. He walked into the night, and soon after leaving the object, was met with the fangs of wolves that had been hunting him, leaving not a scrap of clothing behind. Resh did not wake or hear a sound through it all, sleeping peacefully.

She awoke to a lovely normal (or to be not so normal) day, with the sun shining and the birds flitting around, chirping happily like nothing had happened. She rolled to her feet and realized something was wrong, as her paw wouldn't flatten. It had something in its grasp. Attempting to release it, she could not. Trying to shake it off, it stuck magnetically. Annoyed, she shook harder to no avail. Trying to pry it off with her forehead, it simply stuck to her forehead. Grabbing it in claw again, she pulled out her scalepack, and oddly it fell from her hand to rest in it.

Removing her pack, she shook it upside down, listening to the clinks and clangs and things fell out to the ground. Reaching in, she felt that the thing had firmly attached to her pack's bottom, refusing to leave. Dropping her head she felt out her things and stuffed them back into her pack, walking off with her cargo disk in tow to try to find someone who knew what the thing that would not go away was.

Her first option was A'meo. But he couldn't figure it out at all... and two other dragons who had looked or touched at it got hurt. The round thing, which they saw as a pitch dark sphere, would hurt them with ice and a lot of magic... Drooping her fins, sad that the thing had hurt some kin, she padded off for the night.

Curled up with the thing stuck to her claw, it began to pulse inside in the darkness, when Resh was on her own. The unusual magic feeling woke her from her sleep, and sensing it, she looked at it, feeling it with her claws.

"What's the thingy doing?" Resh asked herself. She was not expecting to get a response...

"WHAT DO YOU THINK IT'S DOING?!" the sphere laughed in a thundering evil voice.

In surprise, Resh rolled backwards, resting upon her behind again. "The thingy is talking! How does the thingy talk?"

"TSK. YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER. OR NOT, YOU MOTHER DIED, AND I ENJOYED IT." the voice within the sphere spoke again. "AND THAT LAZY FORTUNE TELLER WHO BORE MY SPHERE TOO. HE WISHED TO BE RID OF ME AT LAST, SO I SENT HIM TO YOU AND TORE HIM TO PIECES WITH WOLVES TO MAKE HIS WISH COME TRUE." it thundered, cackling cruelly.

"Iea d'na have A'mea. Never." Resh said tilting her head. "And A'meo is Lantuaaaa. And Iea loves A'meo. And and Iea thinks you meanie for wolf... thing." she bantered on cutely in her little hatchie voice.

"THAT ONE IS NOT THE FATHER..." the voice snickered. "YOUR MOTHER WAS RED, VERY RED. BUT YOU ARE BLACK. AND THAT FAKE FATHER IS BLUE." it sneered.

"Iea is confooooooosed. What nieo saying?" Resh blinked her blind eyes.

"YOUR MOTHER IS RED. SHE WANTED YOU TO BE OF HER OWN BLOOD, BUT FAILED TO SET THE TERMS OF HOW MUCH BLOOD. TO MAKE A HATCHLING YOU NEED A FATHER'S BLOOD TOO. YOUR MOTHER WAS AN IDIOT TO PRESENT ME AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE RELEASED FROM THIS INFERNAL SPHERE." the voice laughed. "SO I KILLED HER MATE FIRST WHILE SHE WAS IN MY PRESENCE. I COULD NOT HAVE COMPETITION. THEN CREATED YOUR EGG WITH AS LITTLE OF YOUR MOTHER'S BLOOD AS POSSIBLE. HAS IT SUNK INTO YOUR THICK SKULL, DAUGHTER?" the voice thundered.

"You not A'meo. A'meo is Lantua... You liar." Resh blinked confusedly.

"LANTUA IS A FAKE FATHER. ACCEPT THIS FACT, KNOW IT WELL, FOR I CREATED YOU FOR MY OWN USAGE AND YOU WILL DO MY BIDDING, DAUGHTER. I WILL GRANT YOU MANY THINGS UNCONDITIONALLY AS REWARD FOR YOUR SERVICE TO ME, MY HAND IN A WORLD I CANNOT REACH FROM MY PRISON I GROW BORED OF." the voice spoke loudly.

Resh was clearly confused by now. "What does liar voice in thingy give Iea? What does thingy want Iea to do? If Iea does it will thingy go away?"

"I WILL GIVE YOU GREAT POWER, A FAMILY, AND MORESO, YOUR VISION... BUT I WILL GRANT YOU AN ENHANCED VISION. AS MY DAUGHTER AND THRALL YOU WILL NOT BE HARMED FOR THESE BOONS IN BALANCE AS I NORMALLY WOULD FOR MY OWN ENJOYMENT. JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, SO BORING IT IS TO NOT BE ABLE TO HARM YOU. IF YOU COMPLETE EVERYTHING THEN I WILL BE FREE AND THE SPHERE WILL BE GONE." the voice boomed.

"YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND THE FIVE KEY SOULS THAT WERE USED TO TRAP ME. THEY ALWAYS MOVE, ALWAYS REBORN. ONE IS ESPECIALLY HARD TO FIND BECAUSE SOME IDIOT WIZARD ENCHANTED IT WITH RUNES, SO IT TRAVELS PLANES. I KNOW EVERYTHING BUT NOTHING ABOUT THE SOULS BECAUSE THE SPHERE BLOCKS THAT KNOWLEDGE SO I MAY NOT FREE MYSELF! GO FIND THE SOULS! KILL THEIR SHELLS! ALLOW ME TO FEAST UPON THEM!" the voice said, cackling as the sphere propelled itself into Resh's scalepack, seeming to return to the guise of a simple black sphere.

Resh did understand what was happening... she considered not helping the meanie-thing. It however, had already granted her something she had not tasted before, as her eyes unclouded into a beautiful silver. For the first time, she saw shapes and colors, and at first scared and confused, she began to see the beauty of the world, the stone, the trees, her black and red scales... and almost cried to think of losing the gift of sight again. Begrudgingly, she sat down and considered truly doing the bidding of the Archdemon.

Thread Information