Thread: Tier 1 Weaponsmith - Better way, or just slow?

Default Tier 1 Weaponsmith - Better way, or just slow?

I recently decided to try one of the melee schools, and as I like making my own equipement with techniques, I've been trying to level my Weaponsmith school. It has been, however, aggravatingly slow. From the high bulk of Bars & Ore to the lack of formulas at my efficiency (I have formulas that are 100 opt, and 150, nothing in between), it's just taking forever.

So, I'd like to ask for advice. Is there a quick (or at least quicker) way to level out of tier 1 Weaponsmith (I'm around level 12~), or is it just naturally slow? I've been making & deconning tools, but my skill is over their efficiency, and the formulas that are just above both take extra bars to make AND have an opt skill a little higher than my current.

Another option - Would it be quicker to simply level Blacksmithing (currently lvl 10), despite the lower Skill points per level?

Default Re: Tier 1 Weaponsmith - Better way, or just slow?

12 levels in how much time? What do you consider slow?

BTW, why are you making and deconning TOOLS if you are leveling Weaponsmith? You should be doing weapons. I didn't think Weaponsmith even got experience for making tools.

Are you using Gifts, Enhancements, or gear teched with Weaponsmithing?
    Level 12 Weaponsmith should have 120 skill. Weaponsmith I gives +4 skill. With buffs, potions, and 6 or 7 items teched, you should be over 150 (if you are rushed). Or haul your bars to a player made Blacksmith shop. Beginner gives you +25 skill. Journeyman +50. Expert +75.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

By slow, I mean level 12ish Weaponsmith feels like level 18 or 19 Armorer. I'm making tools because they're 2 bars cheaper to craft than the weapons, and my skill isn't high enough to be at the opt skill for them either. I started by crafting weapons, but I felt the tools gave more xp. I don't have any tech'd gear for crafting yet, though I could look into it if it'd be a significant speed increase for leveling.

Do you know where I could find a player made shop on Chaos? I'm really not sure where to look for them. Should I just scan the map for copper deposits near plot markers, and hope someone's built something there?
    Last edited by Wuumaster; February 25th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

what level blacksmith are you? my personal experience was that making 100 blacksmith first made all the others (except ess and fabric based crafts) sooooooo much easier.
    so i recommend doing that first - then when you switch to weapon/arm crafting, you can start off earning xp for making the basic resources as well as the con/decon grind.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wuumaster View Post
    By slow, I mean level 12ish Weaponsmith feels like level 18 or 19 Armorer.

Do you know where I could find a player made shop on Chaos? I'm really not sure where to look for them. Should I just scan the map for copper deposits near plot markers, and hope someone's built something there?
    Are you level 19 Armorer or above? If so, some of you experience came from Smelting bronze bars. Since your Smelting skill is higher now, you are getting less experience for the bronze bars (that's really according to just how high your Smelting skill is.)

When at that level, I always used the NT copper/tin area. I know there are other areas, but I really don't remember at this time.
    Grandmaster of Flame: Simultaneous solo of 4 Phantom Mages, 2 Death Dealers, 1 Ogre Bodyguard
    Siggurd's Protégée: Smelting 1600+

There used to be a shop at Nuthala but since the reclaims and subsequent plot razings, I can't say if it is still there.
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

Levelling WPN on tools is not a bad way at all.

I seem to remember from my own levelling that tools will give better xp than weapons in general (when at opt. at least.)

Might be a few weapons that will give a bit better xp/bar, but usually not.

Use this to calculate what gives the best xp/bar:
    (xp for making item + xp for deconn) / (bars used for tool/weapon - bars returned from deconn)

And surprisingly enough, often times the lowest skill tool gives better xp/bar than higher skill tools (when optimal at least.)

For copper work I think the NT area is the best. Short run between ore and machines. Could perhaps also use Lesser Aradoth, but the occasional mob might pass by at times.

Velveeta's suggestion is also a good one, especially since BLK can also make weapons, and will serve well for other purposes down the line. Even for levelling WPN at a later time, but then with a higher skill and on higher tiers so giving more xp at the early levels in new schools.

Level BLK on stone tools. Since you are on Chaos you should use Snowfall (?) area just south of Mahagra for Slate work. Have Expert shops close at hand and will greatly help in getting opt at both cutting and making tools.

After that it will be Aughundell mines for granite. Upper plateu since there it will be both machines needed right at a granite field.

For obsidian, outside Dralk. Once again machines right beside resource field.

Levelling BLK on stone is so much easier than doing it on metals since machines and resources are more conveniently placed, and from T3 and up you are talking 2 resources to make a bar for metals, while still using only one resource when working stone.
    Last edited by Spirit Twister; February 26th, 2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Twister View Post
    Level BLK on stone tools. Since you are on Chaos you should use Snowfall (?) area just south of Mahagra for Slate work. Have Expert shops close at hand and will greatly help in getting opt at both cutting and making tools.

After that it will be Aughundell mines for granite. Upper plateu since there it will be both machines needed right at a granite field.

For obsidian, outside Dralk. Once again machines right beside resource field.

Levelling BLK on stone is so much easier than doing it on metals since machines and resources are more conveniently placed, and from T3 and up you are talking 2 resources to make a bar for metals, while still using only one resource when working stone.

yeap, what spirit sez. stone is the only way to level blacksmith. starting at steel, you need 2 types of ore to make metal (hence the reason for my hate/hate relationship with isotope, but i digress), but never stone! and you can find what you need in very (relatively) safe locations (with full ws close at hand), as opposed to metal.
    Last edited by velveeta; February 26th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Alright, I'll try going with Blacksmith then and see how that goes. Thanks for the information, all, I appreciate it.

Thread Information