Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Tips and Hints

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Default Re: The "Man I wish someone had told me that before" thread

For those who still feel the need to gain coin rapidly by pawnbroker runs, consider this:

The weight of unprocessed gems is 6 each. The weight of unprocessd other resources is 10.
    The weight of processed gems is 2 each. The weight of processed other resources is 8.

And now, with pawnbrokers giving decreasing amounts of coin for increasing amounts of the same goods, if you REALLY must go this route, consider finding several pawnbrokers to fill rather than only one.

And, yes, there is a point at which a pawnbroker will not accept any more of a single resource.

Methods of free teleporting (without hauling a Tarbash's disk equipped and loaded) everywhere include the following locations: Bristugo, Settlements, Guild towns, Acul, and Abandoned Island.

The cost of consigning items is 17.5% of total at a tier 1 consigner. The cost of consigning items it 5% of total at a tier 6 consigner. Racial town consigners charge a 10% fee.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Vignar

Faster flight for dragons: Hold down the scroll wheel (so it clicks) and rotate the screen so that you are looking down. Then rotate your screen back into a view you like with the PageUp/Down buttons. Now as you fly, you will be in constant desent but will not land when you hit the ground, only glide. Gliding in this way increases your rate of movement (but not the numerical value displayed for Flight Speed). Some mice have conflicting commands associated with the Wheel Button. If you are not able to look around while holding the wheel button, play around with its associations in your mouse config.

Refer to the "/set scale" command thread. This feature is a big help when trying to wade through corpses and figuring out which ones have been looted or not. It is good in combination with the previously mentioned /loot command.

Gruok taste better than Gnomes.

There is a way to change the color of your text. I don't remember how but others could fill this in. You can also easily change your text settings through chat window options to increase the font size for those whom are visually impared.

If you should come across a Druid when adventuring, politely ask them for a Cloak of Thorns (CoT) buff. It doesn't last very long but will give a great boost in kill rate. Don't try to make them go out of their way to buff you!

When crafting, check the ExpGained / ResourcesToCraft to make sure you are gaining the best experience per resource.

lets not forget... /help
    Soaring the skies of Istaria every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir
    You can use %T% and %L% in messages.

If you use Coordinated bolt/strike with a group, have the hotkey start with a text message command like "Coord strike on %T%" to announce what you're hitting. Or you can just be crazy and have all your attack keys say things like "Eat hot triple teched mithril you misbegotten %T%". This is extra amusing when you highlight a crafting machine and accidentally press a hotkey.

When someone asks where something is, or where you are, you can select the object/person in question and say "I'm at %L%" to give the coords.
    god thats how it was done, Boy! "I wish I had known that before."

this thread works, it really really works [H]

Radar: When travelling through a potential mob spawn area, keep pressing F10 (select nearest enemy). As long as nothing shows up, there's nothing within about 70 yards of you.

Getaway car: As soon as you can (levels 16-19+) get a set of bronze health jewelry, even unteched is good for this. A 7 piece set of bronze is a 90 point health boost. Create a hotkey that equips all those pieces and sprint and mash it and autorun for a quick health boost as you exit the battle.

Bubblegum Machine: Get a pair of cheap helms/hats made in two contrasting colors. Create a hotkey that equips 1 helm, waits half a second, equips the second helm, then executes itself, forming a loop. Mash hotkey and run through crowded town making siren noises.
    Ingo Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Paladin ++
    Nimah Nosdracir - Chaos - Human Warrior/Cleric
    Ogni Nosdracir - Chaos - Dragon Hatchling

Crafting hotkeys that equip the right tool/ability and then make the item..

Rightclick and "edit" the hotkey.. use "equip item" or "use ability" (for dragons) and drag the appropriate tool or ability to the hotkey window.

Form the hotkey window next use "Create Item"

Open your knowledge window and go to the forms tab - down the bottom select "show products" - and drag the right product over to the hotkey window.

Ok - to finish

This will equip the right tool/ability and open the create window ready to make the item - all you have to do is hit max and ok. Additionally, if you click on autodeconstruct (as mentioned before) and deselect "close on creation" - you will craft more quickly.

Add on to that... a 5-10 second delay and re-equip your harvesting tool... :)

I have one that when my disk has braces in it, the macro will select "make boards" and wait 5 seconds, then switch to the "make braces" screen... wait 10 seconds and then put my wood axe back in my hand.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    Check your Horizons folder for a file called ClientPrefs_Graphics.def and about the 13th line down called, float MaxFrameRate = 80 , change that 80 to about 50 to reduce a bit of lag and can/will alleviate a lot of CTDs. Don't forget to save after making the change. If the number is too high (which it tends to be with it's default settings) then it can cause a lot of crashes, same if it is too low. Might even be able to change this in game using /setpref maxframerate 50 but I've never tried so not sure.
    The "/setpref maxframerate 50" does indeed work or you can change that number to whatever you want it to be... hopefully with the new client updates this modification will not be needed.
    ----------------
    you can use the /info command to find out how many days your character has been around the realms.. and it will also give you a total amount of time your character has enjoyed the experience.
    ----------------
    there is a command called /availemotes that will give you a list of all the standard emotes with movements that the devs have so graciously installed for our gaming pleasure. my favorite is /shoe *note the /shoe command only works on some of the racial types.. but for sure for dwarves...
    ----------------
    you can use the command /snc to select the corpse closest to your location.. if there is one.. so that you will be able to more easily loot it... I myself have a hotkey that is set up with the /snc followed by the /loot command as to be able to select the corpse and open the loot window with one fell swoop.
    ----------------
    Some quests seem like they are a worthless waste of time and energy, but some of them can be quite rewarding. Make sure you try to at least complete all of the quests for your adventure/craft schools, as they are basically Free xp and Free coin.. not to mention that most times you will also aquire additional item(s). Case in point... if you are needing lore tokens.. all you need do is complete crafting quests for your trainer and you will get at least 1 lore token per quest..(more as the tier and lvl of the quests increase) ** Except for the miner and gatherer schools **
    ----------------

Thats it for now... except for I havn't seen anyone post on how you use colored text yet....
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Colored text... that's a big one. Anyone know how to do that? I've seen it done before, but always forget how.

Thank you to all who have responded so far. This is all very helpful information. :)

I did not reply to the colored text question because it is in the technical section of the forums..

However - it is /destination <!--color r=0.* b=0.* g=0.*> Text Here.

Where * is a number between 0 and 9

So for example /g <!--color r=0.9 b=0.0 g=0.0> set as the default command prefix will send all text to the group window as red text.

r=1 b=1 g=1 would be white

Edit: - for some strange reason it used to work with . - but then stopped and worked with , = now it seems to be back to . as the point between numbers. Edited to reflect this.

ooh a bunch of great tips here I would have put, but most seem to be covered.... the ones I can remember not knowing (first MMO)..

There are Chat rooms! (swear, played like 2-3 weeks and had no clue there were chat rooms...). Press the little button with a bubble sign on it in the right bottom corner of your chat tab, and pick a room! Dragon chat helps dragons, NewPlayer/Help is good for all, Market/Marketplace is to buy and sell things with other players.

You can have more than one text box for chatting and system messages - in chat properties is a box for "main chat window" if this is checked, that will bea box you can type in. If it is *not* checked, then you can have a box with just system or fight messages in and no blue "type" bar. In other words, if its not checked you can't chat in that box.

I dont know about all the other /setpref commands, but the only one I really use is /setpref effectson false to turn off, and /setpref effectson true to turn backon. This stops all spell effects, weather effects, and the loading of things like portals and shops (as I find out when I recall without turning it back on). Its the only one I've ever needed in those laggy fight areas with lots of players, I can type it without relogging and it helps alot!

You can play the game in windowed mode and alt-tab in and out (long as your system can handle it).

You can, in windowed mode, copy text outside the GAME and PASTE it into the chatwindow in game.

For Dragons really - you get new ability quests every 10 levels, in adventure AND Craft.

For dragons - You can hoarde something by dragging it to your equipment window and dropping it into the picture of wealth at the bottom. As well as right clicking the item and selecting the "Hoard" option. You cannot do this last option in Khutit Form.

If you're having loading and lagging problems, adjusting the view distance way down can make a huge difference. Also adjusting how many characters you load in full detail can also have a big effect.

Runtus

When portaling with a full Tarbash disk and your main inventory is not completely full, fill your main inventory with what is in your disk. When you portal with a not full disk, your portal feeis lower. When building a plot/lair, those fees add up quickly.

Runtus

(for new players)

speaking of portaling...

Save money by portaling for free from one of the New player towns
    (example, New Trismus...) until you reach Level 20.

After you reach Level 20, you can port for 1/2 price to any town
    by using Bristugo as your travel hub.
    Got Cowbell?

Vignar

Quote Originally Posted by Helcat
    After you reach Level 20, you can port for 1/2 price to any town
    by using Bristugo as your travel hub.
    Ports are free to every main city when porting from Abandoned Island. Attune must be done via Scorpion Island tunnel.

One that is very rarely used, if ever, is making your character a vendor.
    Place items that you want to sell into a container in your bag. Edit the container properties and check the "make items sellable" or something like that. Place prices on the items that you want to sell. Now, others can browse though your items via the Their Items tab on the trade window (which can be used at any time to look at the stuff in people's bags whether they know about it or not) and grab the items that they want to buy. I havn't used this option for a very long time, so I don't remember if the Player Vendor has to click accept for the trade to go through when the Buyer has supplied the required coin.

To add to that "being a vendor" point: Set your cargo disk to Contents For Sale (check the box in the right-click Customize window). Fill it up with ore or units or whatever. Others who are using what you gather and process can come, click Trade with you, look at Their Items, pull as many as they can carry, you click Approve and off they go. Make sure you trust them and/or you want them to have what they picked up from you.

This is ever so handy in vast construction projects where you are supplying various runners with units to take to the site and don't want to have to ask them each time "how many can you carry?" They self-select what they want, they do all the clicking and dragging, and you just hit Approve and keep on crafting. Heaven!

Now, to be nice to them, make sure that your disk is the /only/ thing in your inventory or vault that is Contents for Sale. Or they will be scrolling through all your potions, techs, comps, etc., just to find the resource they are trying to pick up from you.

-Levity Merrel

Very good thread so far - let's see if i can add something useful.

1.) Many peeps don't know that they just have to be close to a NPC/structure/machine and not in (front of) it.
    a) Crafting Shops - just park your disk outside the shop, close to the machine you need and craft "through the walls" so to say. [:D]
    b) Take vaults like Aughundell: you can stay outside the building, accessing it from the rear side (close to the LP) and access your vault without running all the way into the building. Just hit "V" when you feel you are close.
    c) NPCs: Kirasanct or Aughundell has multiple layers. It's good to stay on the level you are, selecting the NPC you need, even if it is on the level lower. Hotkey - the same as you use for searching named bossmobs - is your friend here.

2.) All the stuff you can type - you can also set into a hotkey. So speaking of better game-performance when using "/setpref"s and other commands - just put it in a hotkey to turn it off and on - as you like or need it. I have set up a hotkey for big group-fights, de-activating all unnecessary effects - and another one to activate it again when i am alone.

3.) When multiclassing and switching schools, you usually have to re-arrange all your hotkeys again, as abilities and usable items change. Many people don't know they can save their hotkey-files and safe lots of time this way.
    a) Find the folder within your HZ, containing the file and subfolder.
    Should be something like <drivename>:\Horizons\PREFS\Unity_<nameof yourchar>\
    There you will find the file "UIHotkeys.def" and a subfolder "hotkey_icons".
    Copy those 2 into an archive-folder of your choice, naming them after the current class.
    (To me, f.ex. it's Archiv\Horizons\Unity_Hagen\<class-name>)
    b) So whenever you need your hotkeys back for a specific class, just copy them back from the archive-folder you have safed your files before. Just don't forget to shut down the game before ... [;)]

Thanks HAG I was wondering about the "where your hotkey defs" were stored... I wanted to write a VB program that would allow the user to "set up" their character before entering the game, by selecting a character from a window and then select the saved configuration (thus renaming the appropriate files / folders) to fit the game play for that session.

Good tips everyone :)

Let's see if I can add another one:

For the brave at heart, you CAN add your own map markers (like Pekka's) and you can have your own graphics (like many have done here) in your hotkey bars. I am at work, but it's easy to find if you look in the folder for your character and find the hotkey section, the graphics for each button will be in the folder, just use your favorite graphics editor and enjoy :)

Some people still don't believe me, but the Arbotus Squirrel (and you can check this by using your original Horizons disk and find the sound bite) used to say "Die Mother ****er Die Die, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah" as he is swallowed. This has been bleeped out in later patches (Like the good little squirrel he is, but I still don't understand why he says "Woo hoo I'm a free Man... he's a squirrel!") :)

the "/exite" emotion for the dryad was messed up once upon a time where they got stretched out as thin as a stick (including the female "parts") and the mouth area too... it was undescribable.

For Crafters that do repetative crafting and do it quickly, position your "craft item" window in the lower right hand corner of the screen... in that position, it never "drifts" when you keep opening it and the buttons are usually in the same place for quicker crafting.

Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Icetech

I tried the commands below and they helped a ton.. BUT didnt get rid of the sky.. is there another command for that? thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdonia Honeythorn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /setpref environment false
    /setpref environmentsystem false
    /setpref environmentsystemlightingsystemoff true

These three commands will do a few things. Most notably you will lose ALL of your sky effects. You sky will either be completely black or completely light blue and there really is no picking and choosing which your sky decides to be (I've tried). IMO this is the only con to enabling these three commands. The other things you will notice. 1) Less lag, 2) meaning possibly less crashes, 3) daytime light ALL of the time, there is no night and day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobal
    press enter to activate your chat, Hold down shift and use the arrow keys to cycle through the last things you said so you can repeat them.

If you use the inventory screens in list mode instead of icon mode you can use shift and control to select multiple items, just like you would in windows explorer for example.
    Very handy to mass delete, mass hoard, or mass deconstruct if you forgot to check the auto-decon option.

Select yourself and press G for a funny system message.

errr, there was more But it wont pop to mind right now [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]

I tried the shift+control thing and this doesn't work for me.
    "Sarcasm! Just one more of the FREE services I offer."

Quote Originally Posted by Illi
    [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Cobal wrote:press enter to activate your chat, Hold down shift and use the arrow keys to cycle through the last things you said so you can repeat them.

If you use the inventory screens in list mode instead of icon mode you can use shift and control to select multiple items, just like you would in windows explorer for example.
    Very handy to mass delete, mass hoard, or mass deconstruct if you forgot to check the auto-decon option.

Select yourself and press G for a funny system message.

errr, there was more But it wont pop to mind right now [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img]

I tried the shift+control thing and this doesn't work for me.
    This should be either Shift+left click... or control + left click... Shift &click selcts a group.. Control & click selects specific items.. but multiples...

Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Thread Information