Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vista Client?

Default Re: Vista Client?

I just got a new computer with Vista 64-bit, I hadn't made any changes to anything to get the game working, I just installed the game, overwrote the files in the zip and run the launcher as admin and it works every time! Amazing!
    I have a laptop with Vista 32-bit that I've tried everything in the forums to get the game to work on, even this "fix" doesn't get it going. I'll have to keep working on it. But I thought I'd NEVER get it to work on the new computer! Great job and THANKS!

Prinn

Quote Originally Posted by Prinn View Post
    I just got a new computer with Vista 64-bit, I hadn't made any changes to anything to get the game working, I just installed the game, overwrote the files in the zip and run the launcher as admin and it works every time! Amazing!
    I have a laptop with Vista 32-bit that I've tried everything in the forums to get the game to work on, even this "fix" doesn't get it going. I'll have to keep working on it. But I thought I'd NEVER get it to work on the new computer! Great job and THANKS!

Prinn
    Have you rebooted? Because most people can install it and play. It's after shutting down your computer and then starting it up again people are having problems.
    100 Adventure/Crafter following the path of Helian

Expert Lairshaper
    Grand hall complete.

Round two!

The 383.0 zip file has been removed!

Don't panic! There's a 383.1 zip file in its place! Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

/window fpswindow
    should show build number 383.1

Please test the following: (Of course, not everyone can test all cases; just test the ones that apply to you.)
    * Client runs on XP.
    * Client runs on XP 64.
    * Client runs on Vista 32.
    * Client runs on Vista 64.
    * Creating a new character loads the new character on its respective training island; the client does not crash or exit unexpectedly after registering a character name. (Hint: Characters on Blight do not count against your character slot limit)
    * Continues to run on Vista even after a reboot or two.
    * Client runs with DEP enabled for all applications, not just Windows ones.
    * Client does not need extra DLLs (If you had to copy some other DLLs to your Horizons/Istaria directory to make the client run, please list them here).

Would be nice to know:
    * Runs on Linux + wine
    * Runs on older versions of Windows
    * Runs on newer versions of Windows

Known issues:
    * .NET patcher can cause IE to crash in Vista - use non-.NET patcher or standalone launcher (launcher.exe). This actually has nothing to do with the istaria.exe client, but I did run in to this problem while trying to patch.

Oh wow, I am so excited!!! Thank you so much.. I have been unable to play for about a year now ( since I got my new computer vista 64 bit). But every few months I check the forums. I am so happy to think that I may be able to play again...

I am not all that bright when it comes to computers so I will prob wait till it goes live but I am so happy and wanted to tell you just how thankful I am..

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Round two!

The 383.0 zip file has been removed!

Don't panic! There's a 383.1 zip file in its place! Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

I did that. Now the programm told me it could not find horizons.exe so it could not start. What can i do now?
    Kharuum / Caramia Unity
    Whenever an Optimist sees a ligth which isnt really there, there allways is an pesimist who blows it out.
    Giovanni Guareschi

You have to use the new launcher, called Launcher.exe, instead of HorizonsLauncher.exe. You should have it if you patched on Blight first.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

You can add me to the list of successes. Prior to this I have been unable to run Horizons/Istaria on Vista 32bit, Win7 32bit or Win7 64bit on a number of different boxes. I admit I made only limited attempts at getting it to run via the various suggestions (UAC, DEP, run as Admin, integrate .NET 1.1 etc.) that have been mentioned on the forums. I didn't pursue it further not because I was unable rather I felt that it was clearly not the answer especially given the varying degrees of success people have had in running Horizons/Istaria on different Vista installation.

Today I installed the game on a fresh installation of Windows 7 32bit and followed ONLY the directions laid out. i.e. Patch to Blight, unzip 383.1 into the installation folder and run the new launcher. I logged an existing character onto blight without a problem even after rebooting several times. Note: The launcher now had the full scan checkbox cleared in the Patcher Options window as expected.

I just finished installing the game on a different box running Windows 7 64bit following the same procedure and this time created a new character on Blight. The client did crash after the new character name was accepted but upon doing so I found that the Windows firewall had blocked access for istaria.exe. I allowed access (I don't recall if it's that simple on Vista) and ran the launcher again. The character had been created successfully and I was able to logon without issue after that and with multiple reboots.

The latter machine multiboots Windows XPSP3, Win7 64bit and Ubuntu Linux 8.10. I am anxious to try Horizons/Istaria on Linux with the latest stable release of Wine but since installation of Windows applications on a Linux partition requires a different procedure I will document my results and the installation procedure (if successful) with that attempt in a follow up post to this thread. I will also install the game to a box with a Vista partition and add my findings here.

I have to take my hat off to all involved in this release. So far the results seem very promising and I hope others have the same success so this can go live without much delay. It goes without saying that making Horizons/Istaria Vista friendly is a major crossroad.

Excellent news. Working on patching to Blight now, got the ZIP file waiting to go. Will edit this shortly with my results.

[EDIT]
    Started with Launcher.exe; the patcher seems to have hung up at "updating old file list". I know it says it can take a minute, but it's been there for like 10. Killed the process, will try again in a bit.

Windows 7 x64 build 7057
    AMD Athlon 2.5GHz dual-core CPU
    8GB RAM
    Last edited by Rhainor; April 3rd, 2009 at 01:36 AM.
    The cake is a lie!

Seems to be working like a champ. You rock, guys!
    The cake is a lie!

downloaded http://play.istaria.com/Downloads/web_install/root.zip
    Now it has patched, the patcher told me the game startetd succsessfully and then the game is gone. Nothing more happend...

Kharuum / Caramia Unity
    Whenever an Optimist sees a ligth which isnt really there, there allways is an pesimist who blows it out.
    Giovanni Guareschi

Got it up and running on Windows 7 64bit. Just as described, patched up to Blight then added those files to the games dir. I was able to create a character just fine. The only issue I encountered was after I finished creating the character the Windows 7 firewall box flashed up asking to give Istaria permission which made the game be windowed and minimized and I couldn't reopen the window so I had to restart the game,but I logged in with the character I'd created just fine on Blight after that. I didn't do anything to DEP either. Nice work guys!

Oh the progress that gets done while I'm away!

It's good to see a Vista fix finally starting to appear, though not without some regret since now my mini Vista hotfix is obsolete XD

But hey, people have been waiting long enough. This is good news.

Holy Vista Compatibility Batman, you actually did it! My laptop can run Horizons!

When I clicked on the link "Here be bugs" I think I found one. It is supposed to be possible to try this right?
    You are not authorized to access this page.
    That was the page I got at Bristugo.com
    "An' ye harm none,
    Do what ye will."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhainor View Post

[EDIT]
    Started with Launcher.exe; the patcher seems to have hung up at "updating old file list". I know it says it can take a minute, but it's been there for like 10. Killed the process, will try again in a bit.
    Now that you mention it, it hung on my 2nd attempt (Win7 64bit). After what I thought was enough time to be sure it was stalled, even though I was showing ~50% CPU activity, I deleted the files I was notified need to be deleted and both applications closed. When I overwrote my game files with 383.1 and ran the new launcher it started a full scan. I stopped that, recopied the 383.1 files and cleared the full scan option when I started the new launcher. All ran well after that.

I've since tried this on yet another box that dual boots XPSP3 and Vista Ultimate 32bit. I had previously installed the game on both partitions but had no luck getting it to run on Vista. Rather than try to patch what I had already made numerous changes to I uninstalled Horizons/Istaria and reinstalled it using the resumable download. When I attempted the patch to Blight I found that once again the patcher hung at "updating old file list". This time after confirming file deletion, overwriting game files with 383.1 and starting the new launcher I made sure to check, and clear the full scan option. UAC did attempt to block access to istaria.exe but after allowing that I was able to logon to Blight. Multiple reboots did not affect my ability to login.

I am not sure if the hang is an issue as that occurs after patching to Blight and prior to overwriting game files with 383.1. However I was under the impression and as far as I recall on my first attempt, that after overwriting game files with 383.1 the launcher should not attempt a full scan. For me a full scan would have run 2 out of 3 times had I not prevented it. This either does not seem to be the case for some other or they are not mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandovar View Post
    downloaded http://play.istaria.com/Downloads/web_install/root.zip
    Now it has patched, the patcher told me the game startetd succsessfully and then the game is gone. Nothing more happend...
    The same happens on a new installation whether the patcher stalls or not. It's at this point that you should unzip 383.1.zip into your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files. I would suggest taking a look at the Patcher Options and see if a full scan is selected prior to clicking Play for the reasons described above.

=======================================

I am still going to be trying to see what luck I have with Ubuntu Linux and Wine but that will be mostly out of curiousity. I suspect few people will have any desire to play Istaria on Linux but it would be nice to know if it works ... or can be made to work. In the meantime I hope more people who aren't faint of heart about overwriting game files et al will invest the time to check this out on Windows OS's. I'm sure the more positive feedback there is as well as any issues that may occur being brought to the surface will help make the Vista issue a thing of the past sooner rather than later ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yalara View Post
    When I clicked on the link "Here be bugs" I think I found one. It is supposed to be possible to try this right?
    You are not authorized to access this page.
    That was the page I got at Bristugo.com
    That was the first build.

There's a new one later in the thread.

Red face Re: Vista Client?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Same procedure: patch to Blight, unzip the above file in your Horizons/Istaria directory and overwrite the existing files.

Stupid question, I know, but how do i patch to blight? is blight another word for live? or is blight the test server?

Also, if this works, ill boot up my ubuntu 64 bit and run it under cedega and wine and report back too.

Thanks Skaladar, now it works.:-) Finally back in Horizons.:-)
    After Char creation the Client crushes but i now can log in with my new Char on blight!:-)
    Kharuum / Caramia Unity
    Giovanni Guareschi

I share the confusion. How do you "patch to Blight"?

I had a character on Blight but cannot log in to him.

I don't have "launcher.exe". Found "Horizonslauncher.exe" but I read elsewhere that it's not right. And, it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by phreekbird View Post
    Stupid question, I know, but how do i patch to blight? is blight another word for live? or is blight the test server?

Also, if this works, ill boot up my ubuntu 64 bit and run it under cedega and wine and report back too.
    Yes, Blight is the test server. It's always running a different build than the live shards so either creating a new character there or logging in an existing character will patch you to current the Blight version.

Some people have had trouble logging in which is described in greater detail at the character selection page. Click the MORE link from the "Developer Notice: Trouble Logging In" section. There's a link there to zip file that includes, among other things, the new launcher ...

Good Luck, especially with Ubuntu phreekbird. I'll be fiddling with that this weekend :-)

Thread Information