Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: timeline/dragon question

Default Re: timeline/dragon question

Quote Originally Posted by Hoberton View Post
    Moot point since this is not a PvP game.

Yes, I do know there is an arena.
    Moot point to whom? And who said anything about pvp? Mine was just a general comparison question is all.

Dragons only seem to suffer from the fact that they max out early with the lack of other schools. Bipeds have no limits except time. Dragons are equal to a well rounded 5x100 biped. But as a biped continues to lvl up classes they continue to gain power where as dragons are currently capped. Dragons in beta could use some of the biped classes, but that was ONLY for testing the biped classes.

Many of us dragon players wish we had someway to max our stats out, but the developers are limited as to what they can spend their time on. But they are aware and have read many ideas of different things we would like.

As for fighting one vs another. It is possible for a dragon to tackle even the toughest bipeds. I think it was a dragon named Skald, who use to take on lvl 180 and up bipeds and hold his own. If you want to duel a heavily lvled biped (I do because they are more of a challenge then most WA monsters), I would recommend having several scale sets of different wards and resists on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonfyre View Post
    Dragons only seem to suffer from the fact that they max out early with the lack of other schools. Bipeds have no limits except time. Dragons are equal to a well rounded 5x100 biped. But as a biped continues to lvl up classes they continue to gain power where as dragons are currently capped. Dragons in beta could use some of the biped classes, but that was ONLY for testing the biped classes.

Many of us dragon players wish we had someway to max our stats out, but the developers are limited as to what they can spend their time on. But they are aware and have read many ideas of different things we would like.

As for fighting one vs another. It is possible for a dragon to tackle even the toughest bipeds. I think it was a dragon named Skald, who use to take on lvl 180 and up bipeds and hold his own. If you want to duel a heavily lvled biped (I do because they are more of a challenge then most WA monsters), I would recommend having several scale sets of different wards and resists on them.
    Ok, THIS is what I was more or less looking for
    I was just curious if they could hold their own - glad to hear they can stand up to just about anything =D

The hardest part is really getting together complete sets of diff resists and wards scales, and finding a claw that does dmg other than slash. Otherwise if a biped loads up on slash resist and ward gear, your dmg output will drop considerably. A claw that does spirit dmg is very nice, but very very hard to find. IF you have any more questions dont be afraid to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonfyre View Post
    The hardest part is really getting together complete sets of diff resists and wards scales, and finding a claw that does dmg other than slash. Otherwise if a biped loads up on slash resist and ward gear, your dmg output will drop considerably. A claw that does spirit dmg is very nice, but very very hard to find. IF you have any more questions dont be afraid to ask.
    Will do and appreciate the info

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    First thing to realize is that much of the early timeline is myth. The timeline is created by Istarian scholars, which means its information is obtained from Istarian people. Hence, the Dragon claiming that they came from the Realm of Fire, the Dryad claiming they had contact with the Gods on a regular basis, and so on. IT is their belief of their origin and may not be actual fact.

If you are interested in Dryad lore, then you will learn much more about the Dryad with the coming of the free content expansion we're working on.
    So, in all reality there is no actual canon set in stone as to the origins of dragons?

Just trying to understand how much room there is for creativity in regards to back stories
    Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

The dragons came from the realm of fire, they have the spirit of fire in them. There isn't much to mess about it, since many npcs say the same. If you claim your dragon comes from world xyz it is just not canon. You just can't come up with something different when those facts are known for centuries in istairan history.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    The dragons came from the realm of fire, they have the spirit of fire in them. There isn't much to mess about it, since many npcs say the same. If you claim your dragon comes from world xyz it is just not canon. You just can't come up with something different when those facts are known for centuries in istairan history.
    I understand Takora and I agree with you wholeheartedly. But at the same, Amon's post is claiming differently unless I am misreading/misinterpreting it which is also a pretty good possibility.

Although, as someone once mentioned to me, it's all fake anyways so who cares what you come up with. It's RP and RP is meant to be fun. /shrugs
    Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

First thing to realize is that much of the early timeline is myth. The timeline is created by Istarian scholars, which means its information is obtained from Istarian people. Hence, the Dragon claiming that they came from the Realm of Fire, the Dryad claiming they had contact with the Gods on a regular basis, and so on. It is their belief of their origin and may not be actual fact.
    The truth of the matter is always more nebulous and grand than the understanding of it. Myths are inherently based on truth - truth for the people at the time. But it is also known that much of the history has been lost. Therefore it is quite likely that some of the stories have supplanted the real historical truth.

And what is that truth? The simple answer is we do not know. The long answer is we do not know but in absence of it, we make it up. ;p There's a reason Maekrux is a historian and a storyteller. He knows more of the history than he truly lets on, a history that the gods would rather forget. And so our timeline is a guide, at least when we are further back.

Things like the dragons coming from the realm of fire and the dryads having contact with the gods - these are believed, and therefore should still be RP'd as if they were true. And as myths are wont to be, they likely are, partly or completely, true. There's a reason why dragons (and wind golems) can use the Prime, after all.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaerisk View Post
    And as myths are wont to be, they likely are, partly or completely, true. There's a reason why dragons (and wind golems) can use the Prime, after all.
    Some myths have some truth in them, but they are embellished to tell a story. Otherwise they would be boring. Its probably a safe bet that there really wasn't a true Minotaur in a Labyrinth on the Island of Crete. There's no such creature as a minotaur. But, we know that there was a massive palace that could be labyrinth-like and that the inhabitants of Crete and Knossos worshipped the Bull (hence the man-bull Minotaur).

So yes, there is some truth in the myth. But much of it is meant to tell a story, nothing more.

Dragons are made up. The Prime is made up. Dragons can use it because we said they could. Its the embodiment of all magic. That is why they can use it. They do not specialize in a narrow focus of magic, they use the broadest sense of it.

Btw, Dragons did not teach all races of magic, only the Humans/Fiends. The others learned magic on their own.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Dragons can use it because we said they could.
    I think that's what's really at the heart of A'Sasha's question, though. We took the timeline to be fact because that is what was in the official timeline.

Ultimately, what I love about Horizons is that the game itself is merely a platform. It's a stage. We sometimes get worried when the scenery is suddenly looking like it's set for Romeo and Juliet when we're about to do Hamlet, but I think the ultimate message is that, even if there's a balcony there, we're doing Hamlet. The ghost would look more menacing, calling down his charge on Hamlet from the balcony anyway.

Be creative, A'Sasha! This back history is a helpful guideline to follow when starting, but each and every one of us brings something new and unique to the world that changes it, even if it is only limited to the few who know it. I personally like your back stories relating to Draak and the Priestesses of Drulkar. They bring in a new dimension to the picture of 'dragon' as Maekrux and I understand it, and that is what keeps the game fresh.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

Talking Re: timeline/dragon question

Dragons are made up. The Prime is made up.

ouch, that hurts

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Do you mean we don't exist? Ahhhhhh *melts*

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

can't be, tak - you definately exist!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Remember the Buddhist parable of the monk and the butterfly?

So: Am I a butterfly who dreams she is a dragon...???^^
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Remember the Buddhist parable of the monk and the butterfly?

So: Am I a butterfly who dreams she is a dragon...???^^
    I don't know that story, but I'm curious about it : o

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Fuketsu was practicing calligraphy when Joshu ran up to him.
    "Master, I just left my body," he stammered. "I was meditating in the meadow and became a butterfly!"
    Fuketsu finished his last stroke and then set down the brush. "And why did you return?" he asked.
    Joshu thought for a moment, and then declared, "I had no choice." Fuketsu stood up and punched Joshu in the nose. Then he asked, "Did I have a choice?"

heehee - this is the one i believe lov is refering to:

Dream of a butterfly

The great Taoist master Chuang Tzu once dreamt that he was a butterfly fluttering here and there. In the dream he had no awareness of his individuality as a person. He was only a butterfly. Suddenly, he awoke and found himself laying there, a person once again. But then he thought to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?"
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thank you dear Vel- I was looking for an English link.
    And yes: I ment the second one.
    My fault I placed it to Buddhism- its Tao- not ZEN- big difference
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thank you both for sharing that

The Spear Koan of Basho

One day Baso set a spear in front of his students and challenged them to tell him something about it. "If you say it is real, you deny its eternal nature. If you say it is not real, you deny its physical presence."

All but one of the students tried to utter profound sayings about the spear, and each of them failed. The last student said nothing, but took up the spear and snapped it in half. He handed the pieces to his master and said, "It is broken."

Sometimes the truth is something else entirely.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information