Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And then there was one... RIP Shadowbane

Default Re: And then there was one... RIP Shadowbane

Actually you can quite easily say that Eve Online is a zoned world.
    Of course, but as you hinted yourself, one technology is "zoneless" world, another is instancing.

Since Istaria is already zoneless, I was precisely addressing instancing instead.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

When you port in Istaria, the environment around your arrival point has to be loaded all at once, thus the loading screen, etc. If you travelled to the same point overland, the world would load in as you travelled, thus, not loading screen.

Zoned worlds often have different zones on dedicated world servers, resulting in 'zone lines' where you get loading and interaction issues every time you cross from one zone to another. Vanguard players who were following a levitating bard for fast travel, for example, could find themselves falling from a very great height due to losing connection to the bard when crossing a zone line. I killed several of my friends that way....

Istaria does have the kind of isolated areas you are referring to, Vahrokh. The system you describe is exactly how the original Spirit Isles worked.
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Technically the original spirit isles are not instances. There are 10 islands all of which exist near each other. But they do not exist at the same world coordinates. You could probably fly from one to another if you could get to them.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Zones can exist (as LO said, invisible or not) in an MMORPG, I gave up on Vanguard as the "seamless zones" weren't seamless at all. I was constantly being dismounted while crossing zones, or have creatures disappear because you crossed an imaginary zone line, forcing you to rebattle said monster.

In CoH / CoV the zones were obvious.

Asheron's Call was pretty good about seamless zones, but was still a zoned area. Most of the dungeons were zoned (but honestly, they were actually hidden in the large lake in the middle of the world)

WoW is sorta zoned... you "can" travel to anywhere in one continent, but must "zone" to another continent. In their latest expansion, they have a new "If you complete this quest, you vanish from those that haven't completed the quest line." and the land around you changes. I guess you can call that a "zone"

Istaria's "Rift" is actually just placed in the world where you can't "fly" to it and is so far above the dragon's "flight ceiling" which is why you can't fly in the rift... you just fall because you are above the 2000 flight ceiling.

Fun fun
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Hehe - as it happens, Woody did a strip that fits this topic a while back...

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/2006/gu_20060705.jpg

Then read the strip that appeared the day before...

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/2006/gu_20060704.jpg
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Atari helping Horizons chuck ShadowBane into the zapper?!?

(ROGLMTO)

I think Atari pretty much imploded with the Master of Orion fiasco. Rumor has it the game is much improved after you add player mods.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

They STILL don't handle more than a couple of hundred people in the same system very well...

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Actually you can quite easily say that Eve Online is a zoned world. Because you ALWAYS see a loading screen when switching between star systems and from space into a space station. Those are zones. That is, they are separately loaded processes.

Before recent updates (in 2008) their servers couldn't support more than a couple hundred players in a single star system at a time.

not..Very well ...would be better than Hz usually handled it...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    I think Atari pretty much imploded with the Master of Orion fiasco. Rumor has it the game is much improved after you add player mods.
    Have played Master of Orion 1, 2 and 3 untill I almost grew roots on the chair.
    Personally the only problem I think MoO 3 has is the EXTREME slow pace and lousy planetary AI rulers.
    Part 2 was the best only would be better if it had the wormhole passages that part 3 uses. I never liked the fact that in MoO 1 an ally would polute my solar system with 10's of thousants of ships from big to small.

BTW... Fun comic picture.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information