Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Istaria's future: proactive or reactive?

Default Istaria's future: proactive or reactive?

Ok, the horizon (pun intended) is getting near and we can see a "current generation" OS support plus the incoming dungeon already.

What then? Is here something like a roadmap?

Most of all, is Istaria going to reactively / passively "keep up" with the next years or will be there some deep changes, like i.e. renewing the graphics and possibly the gameplay?

Will the current "let's keep the old, loyal playerbase" stay or are we going to see "volume" new players campaigns and try a sort of rebirth, an "Istaria Reloaded"?

/crystal ball
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Default Re: Istaria's future: proactive or reactive?

Why not let the devs finish first the expansion and then talk about the future when it is out? How about that?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •Â«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Why not let the devs finish first the expansion and then talk about the future when it is out? How about that?
    Agree. Let's first see what the near future brings, what the impact of the Vista compatibility and the expansion will be.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

I hope the next big project they work on is the crystal revamp. My guess is it will be that or most likely they will go back to the Tier revamp and start back up on that again to clear up the middle levels and add more quest in for the Bipeds and their classes. After that it is anyone's guess what they will start on.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

usually i would agree with tak and sigi, but i confess that i wouldn't mind a bit of insight about future plans for my second fave game ever......
    even if it is just ideas floating around with nothing confirmed or promised, just am interested in knowing as much of the future prospects as i am allowed, would be nice -
    any more nadia type shox, for instance.........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh View Post
    Ok, the horizon (pun intended) is getting near and we can see a "current generation" OS support plus the incoming dungeon already.

What then? Is here something like a roadmap?

Most of all, is Istaria going to reactively / passively "keep up" with the next years or will be there some deep changes, like i.e. renewing the graphics and possibly the gameplay?

Will the current "let's keep the old, loyal playerbase" stay or are we going to see "volume" new players campaigns and try a sort of rebirth, an "Istaria Reloaded"?

/crystal ball
    What about both of them in the same time ?
    New client and new content to come.
    New support platform done.
    Maybe some other surprises...

To me, all of this sounds like reactivity and proactivity.

/me points a phoenix flying around Istaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post

There's an expansion?

In all honesty, it's nice that they are updating the game but I would like to know their long term plans. Some of the posts before looked like they were going to focus on their core, which didn't seem to include much in the way of adventure mechanic revamps.

With the adventure mechanics the way their are now, it's almost impossible for me to get some of my friends to come back.

I appreciate the better communication and work on the game, but until I can point to something it's pretty much just going to be me playing (among my friends). That leads to issues with my time and how much I dedicate to certain games. I am more likely to log into a game with my RL friends playing. I only have so much time to game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayth View Post
    There's an expansion?
    The labyrinth content is being worked as a free expansion. Basically market spin. But at least it is not bad spin.

Looking back I am pretty sure they said they would return to the Tier Revamp after the Labyrinth release. What else they are working on I am sure they will not even hint at till after what they have done is done. As a Herald they have hinted at other future plans but they have not given us a lot of details. Just What if? questions to see what we thought on different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    The labyrinth content is being worked as a free expansion. Basically market spin. But at least it is not bad spin.
    Yeah, whatever they are calling it, it is not an expansion. Free or otherwise.

I applaud what they are doing, but it's not enough content to justify the title of expansion. However, it might have felt like that to some of their developers, this was obviously a huge undertaking for them.

I applaud what they are doing, but it's not enough content to justify the title of expansion. However, it might have felt like that to some of their developers, this was obviously a huge undertaking for them.
    wow, don't know what to say. but nice isn't one of the words.
    You don't even know how much content the labyrinth is.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    wow, don't know what to say. but nice isn't one of the words.
    You don't even know how much content the labyrinth is.
    I didn't realize that this what I said was mean or anything. You might want to read it again.

When WoW drops in entire raid zones, classes, abilties, adventure tree revamps, and multiple instances (read dungeons) into an expansion, it's hard to call the addition of one dungeon an "expansion".

This is Istaria's first go at a dungeon, hopefully the next few will be easier. The first one is usually the hardest. What they are doing is a good thing and probably comes at the cost of a lot of manhours. But they have a small development team and they are doing things in concert. I look forward to seeing what they did.

It's the reality of the situation, not intended to bash the development team or the company. Just calling a spade a spade.

I applaud what they are doing, but it's not enough content to justify the title of expansion.
    In the words of Inigo Montoya, "I don't think that word means what you think it means".
    Klaus Wulfenbach
    Mithril Council, Chaos
    "Death is fleeting. Pride is forever."

"Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it."-- Abraham Lincoln

Thats just it is not just a dungeon. There are quest and things that are going to be added in the "overworld" as well. I am pretty sure some of the monsters created will be out side the dungeon. There are the Chest that have been hinted to appear outside the dungeon. New Techs and items to create that will all be made out side of it and if the chest do get put in the "overworld" will be needed out-side the dungeon. The new owners are very closed mouthed and I am sure have a few other surpises for us. As to the size with a small game you have to exspect smaller expantion packs. Afterall an expantion is an expantion no matter the size.

I must agree with Sigi on this, I suggest people to refrain from comments about the Labyrinth Expansion untill they have actually seen what has been added.

Compared to WoW this is a small game with a small crew, but in my eyes every new thing added in the game... From a new quest, to a new type of plants to decorate the landscape, to a dungpile or the upcoming labyrinth is an improvement and also it enables me to expand my gaming experience.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I don't really want to get into a war here, but what you've just described is a dungeon, a quest hub, and loot itemization.

Expansions are usually far more reaching and usually have far more changes then the simple addition of a dungeon (with loot) and a quest hub. For example, adventure class revamps, crafting revamps, interface changes, new adventure abilities, level cap increases, new classes, new races, etc.

If everyone is excited and happy to call it an expansion, that's cool. I'm as excited as anyone else to see what they did. But in the world of MMO's this really wouldn't classify as an expansion.

I doubt they have too much more, major release wise, then what they've leaked out, otherwise they would be talking about it to build the excitement.

Seriously guys, I'm am not trying to belittle the effort. On the contrary, the effort they have given to resurect the game is impressive, especially with the limited staff.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

don't worry, ray - i understand your point.
    just don't agree with it 100%..... yes, compared to wow and the other 'big' mmos, this is not an expansion.
    but for istaria (indeed, the strict definition of the word 'expansion' from wikipedia states: An expansion pack, expansion set, or supplement is an addition to an existing role-playing game, tabletop game or video game. These add-ons usually add new game areas, weapons, objects, and/or an extended storyline to a complete and already released game.), any addition to the game is an expansion.

therefore, strictly speaking, the new dungeon IS an expansion pack to istaria.........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingOtter View Post
    In the words of Inigo Montoya, "I don't think that word means what you think it means".
    Inconceivable!
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Thank you Velvetta.

In the mold of what has been deemed expansion in the MMO world, this is very modest. When someone throws that title around, I expect more then we are likely to see.

I'm very excited to see what they have, but I also realize that we'll probably chew this new content up very quickly.

What I am hoping is that they are releasing this with the ablity to quickly add more such content in the future. That they are looking at this as a test bed to see how well they designed the dungeon and how the players exploit the content. Yes, exploit. I also hope they built in the ablity to easily tune the content.

Expansions are usually far more reaching and usually have far more changes then the simple addition of a dungeon (with loot) and a quest hub. For example, adventure class revamps, crafting revamps, interface changes, new adventure abilities, level cap increases, new classes, new races, etc.
    Just so you know if they roll out the new client with the "expansion" There will be interface changes, the ability to pick from 4 different interface mods built into the system, Crafting "revamps", New items to craft are being added, adventure class "revamps", New techs for bipeds and dragons are being added(which could be said to fall under craft I think it could fall under both my self), new spells are being added. New types of quest are being added. New types of monster abilities are being added, new monsters are being added. I think they say the dungeon is at least as big as the Sleepers Void, which is pretty big, I think it is suppose to be even bigger but not completely sure.

So as you see it's not just a dungeon and a quest hub.

Where can i read about that "expansion" I have tryed seach the forum, but nothing about it came up

Rougee

Thread Information