Thread: New player few questions

Default New player few questions

I'm looking for a new game to call home... I've been following this game a bit... it is now time I give it a try. I don't really want to do the free trial... because I have no interest in playing a human... just unsure of which subscription plan I should go for? the basic or the premium...

Also the order server is the RP server? I'm looking for RP mainly, how is the population there? I'm interest in crafting... will I be far behind, since I'd be low level crafter? Also in my spare time, I'd be doing solo play... which class is best for solo?

How are the classes, are they cookie cutter? IE. Is every Ranger the same? (just using that class as an example).

Also how easy is it to get a plot and build a house, that's something I'm interested.

TY

Default Re: New player few questions

Order is the roleplay server; its population is lighter than on chaos (the non roleplay server). Low level crafting should not be a problem, as you can level up independently if you choose to. I don't know which class is best for solo playing; they each have different styles and can be played solo.

The classes are not really cookie cutter, as you get training points to spend on the areas in which you want to focus. Some rangers focus on maximizing archery skills, others beef up their nature spellcasting ability, and still others make use of sword & shield. Dragons focus on melee or spellcasting. It's up to you to decide how you wish to play your character.

On Order shard there are many open plots, but it may take you some time to earn the coin to buy one. If you join a guild with a guild community plot, you can get once for next to nothing, but it may not be the size or in a location you prefer. You design the plot layout from a really nice variety of structures; how long it takes to complete depends on how complex you design it and whether or not you get help with it. Dragon lairs have different things to choose from but are (imo) more complex than a biped plot.

Also, you can deconstruct the structures you build for 80% recovery of the resources to apply to new structures, and can sell your plot to buy a new one. As for which subscription, if you want a plot, you need the subscription that specifically allows one - I think you can make up to 7 characters with it.

I hope this was helpful! :-)
    Last edited by awdz; May 18th, 2009 at 09:46 AM.

TY very much... If I decided to go Chaos, is it just as easy to get a plot there?

Thanks.

If you dont mind grinding for enough coin (since plots and/or lairs are quite expensive) and are not picky about were you will be "living" it should not be to difficult to get a nice plot or lair depending on if you play dragon or biped (non dragon).

Btw Welcome to the world of Istaria
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by momodig View Post
    TY very much... If I decided to go Chaos, is it just as easy to get a plot there?

Thanks.
    There are plenty of Chaos plots available, just depends where you want to "live"! Some people pick a certain spot to call home and never move, other's move depending on their level i.e. Parsinia, on Lesser Aradoth, has lots of resources for constructing Tier 1 and Tier 2 buildings. Whereas Harro is at the top-end and is close to Tier 5 and Tier 6 resources. IMHO it doesn't really make much difference where you live. My corner plot in Harro has a nice view, but only has Tier 2 and Tier 3 buildings on it

BTW plots are expensive - 200 silver is a *lot* for new players, and that is for Tier 1 and Tier 2 locations. Some plots get ridiculous - up to 1 gold (1000 silver) just for the plot.

And welcome to Istaria!

Quote Originally Posted by momodig View Post
    How are the classes, are they cookie cutter? IE. Is every Ranger the same? (just using that class as an example).
    Istaria is perhaps the least cookie cutter of all the cookies out there. You are (to all intents and purposes) unlimited in how you put your character together in terms of what schools you pursue (biped that is).

As to what is the best .. there is not real answer to that - except to say that there are some classes that are more complimentary than others.

Investigate what abilities and spell etc are masterable and transferable and useable between classes and go from there.

On Chaos, the NPA channel will undoubtedly give you a wealth of information as to what classes go together well.

Welcome to Istaria

I wish 1 gold is all I paid lol, my plots are more like 3+ gold and my lair was 7g 900s!!! and that was community pricing.

That being said there is much cheaper plots and lairs to be had.

Smaug

Also, if I'm not mistaken, you can move your character between servers, if you change your mind...

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

I'm glad you asked on the plots, momodig. The nice part is, good plots can be found everywhere in Istaria. The bad part is, good plots can be found EVERYWHERE else in Istaria, too. If you want, you could get started with a smaller sized plot and see what's available to do with it, then buy your way up to a larger plot elsewhere. Or, you can find a good-sized one in a location for resources and may decide to help the community by putting up crafthalls. Plot construction is another one of those wide-ranging possibilities you can explore, though it does take some time in crafting. And don't worry about being low level. Everyone starts there and everyone grows in time. Don't feel that you have to rush to get to a multi-100 just because someone else has. I'm an example of not doing that. I've been around over 5 years now and still not made a single 100 class yet.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Quote Originally Posted by C`gan View Post

*snip*

Don't feel that you have to rush to get to a multi-100 just because someone else has. I'm an example of not doing that. I've been around over 5 years now and still not made a single 100 class yet.
    I agree completely. I've been on since just after launch, and only just got 100 Gatherer about three months ago. My next highest level is 60! Plenty of time, and plenty of fun to be had along the way

Also on plots, not sure if this is old info or not but there is a list of available plots for Chaos here which Kaph Ranta updates?

Oh, the link is spreading already hehe.

That list is far from complete yet, although I hope to visit at least all non-guild settlements by the end of next week. If anyone wants to help me fill in the missing data, just PM me the info here or put it on my talk page on the Istaria wiki.

They greyed out columns are outdated info btw and ".. starting at" is in Silver, just in case anyone was wondering.
    Kaph Ranta on Chaos: Ranger, Spellcrafter, Alchemist, Tailor, Jewelcrafter, Fletcher
    LinoRanta on the Istaria Wiki

Well, just in case anyone cares: I updated the Chaos Plot Overview today - added information for a bunch of settlements and updated some old ones. If anyone wanted a plot in Parsinia, go and have a look, there are 10 open plots right now.
    Kaph Ranta on Chaos: Ranger, Spellcrafter, Alchemist, Tailor, Jewelcrafter, Fletcher
    LinoRanta on the Istaria Wiki

Thread Information