Thread: BLOCKED! after so many years...

Default BLOCKED! after so many years...

This is my 7th year doing this job, the firewall administrators upgraded to a new "IP filter" that now includes Istaria as "Gaming" site and has been blocked from my reading the community board from work...

That bites.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Default Re: BLOCKED! after so many years...

That happened to me after 25 years in my company, Justa

Nice young energetic managers- who do reinvent the wheel
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Lol so the game is so popular that it gets blocked from firewalls?

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Set up an encrypted proxy on your home machine.

I have a machine which I can connect to using ssh. On the client side:
    ssh -D1080 my-server.example.com
    Then I configure my browser to use a SOCKS proxy on localhost:1080 and I'm (back) in business.

For extra paranoia, configure your web browser to send DNS requests over SOCKS too. Then your nosy network admins won't know what sites you're looking at -- unless your machine is "instrumented".

You might have to use something like a SOCKS or HTTP proxy. Just remember to make sure the connection between the proxy and your client is encrypted -- otherwise your nosy network admins will know you're up to no good -- and have proof! (Note: SOCKS is *not* encrypted unless it's tunneled through an encrypted channel, like through ssh or stunnel)
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    Set up an encrypted proxy on your home machine.

I have a machine which I can connect to using ssh. On the client side:
    ssh -D1080 my-server.example.com
    Then I configure my browser to use a SOCKS proxy on localhost:1080 and I'm (back) in business.

For extra paranoia, configure your web browser to send DNS requests over SOCKS too. Then your nosy network admins won't know what sites you're looking at -- unless your machine is "instrumented".

You might have to use something like a SOCKS or HTTP proxy. Just remember to make sure the connection between the proxy and your client is encrypted -- otherwise your nosy network admins will know you're up to no good -- and have proof! (Note: SOCKS is *not* encrypted unless it's tunneled through an encrypted channel, like through ssh or stunnel)
    I wish I knew what you are talking about so I could use your instructions.

I really should read up on this stuff ...

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Time for an Iphone or a netbook with a Mobile phone service ISP dongle

Istaria on a Iphone? Show me xD

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

well some guys made WoW work on an iPhone, I'm sure it could be done with Istaria !

Quote Originally Posted by Zexoin View Post
    well some guys made WoW work on an iPhone, I'm sure it could be done with Istaria !
    Probably some kind of remote desktop connection? But how do they control it! hmm... Clever nonetheless!

Rakku

I have a Samsung Instinct M800. I can get the community board on that, but I hate typing on it. Eh, it's just weird.

Oh and Ranqthas, I probably should not try what you suggested LOL, you know why.
    Justa Mirage: Ranger 100 / Healer 92 / Carpentry 100 / Confectioner 100 / Fletching 92 / Weaver 62 / Gatherer 34
    Flatspin: Ancient Lunus Dragon 100 / Craft 100 / Lairshaping 100

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Mirage View Post
    This is my 7th year doing this job, the firewall administrators upgraded to a new "IP filter" that now includes Istaria as "Gaming" site and has been blocked from my reading the community board from work...

That bites.
    Another thing you could try is that GoToMyPc software. You install the software on your pc (does need a sub though) and then, as long as your workplace doesn't block https://www.gotomypc.com, you can then access the forum through your home pc from work.

Perhaps try the site first at work to see if it can be accessed. Hope this helps.

Rakku

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Lol so the game is so popular that it gets blocked from firewalls?
    Oh, the web address has probably been added to some filter list that a corporate firewall uses...

This won't happen where I work... as I am the local BOFH myself. If you don't know what that means, google it

aww its been so long since i've read the BOFH stories!
    ~Lucient Dawn
    DRAG 100/ DCRA 100/ DLSH 55
    Hoard: 7,000,000
    Obsidian Order Guild

Thread Information