Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragon and human ideas (Dragon riders?)

sloestar

Default Dragon and human ideas (Dragon riders?)

My sister and i thought it would be cool if human characters could ride dragons, i said i thought that was a good idea and i would bring it up here, can't break a promise *sighs* You should also add a saddle formula, because of course you can't ride dragons bare-back. both players would have to agree as well. Well, that all, i just thought it would be kinda fun friends could give friends a ride, i mean FLY, around town.

Default Re: Dragon and human ideas (Dragon riders?)

Quote Originally Posted by sloestar View Post
    You should also add a saddle formula, because of course you can't ride dragons bare-back.
    Sure you can.

Dragon riding has been requested before, repeatedly. It is highly unlikely to be developed.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Someone here to add the link where it is discussed? I did not find it
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

I wished I had bet with Flame, that its you who will give us the link

Thy Tako
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I've always supported the dragon riding idea, and every new thread I see that pops up with the idea will equally have my support.

It would add so much to the game for me personally. Besides, it would cater to the masses upon masses of dragon riding fans: whether it's Drakan, Eragon, Pern, or whatever fans, it would be a very popular concept. And I'm all for getting more subs for this game. It deserves it.

~Galde

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i am sooo conflicted about this matter, as a player of a saris and a dragon....

on the one hand, vel would love to be able to ride, lets say our beloved onyx, to a far off or difficult to get to place. opens up more of the world for her and (one of the few things i like about wow) flying above the road instead of running it is way pretty.....

on the other hand, riding seems to me to be somehow demeaning to dragons. like dragons are great and mighty and powerful and awesome and taxis........just doesn't seem right to me, somehow.......

(warning, the following is babble and need not be read)
    my fave game of all time is (rather was) another niche game called 'earth and beyond'. was a space game with ships and docks and warp gates and 3 humaniod races you could play.
    one of the races could open 'jump gate' types of things, you know what i mean - wormholes, they were called - that could move a number of other ships from systems without warp gates. the race in question was awesome even with out it - great explorers and warriors and the best looking race to boot (guess which one i always played?) - but was thought of as mere taxi drivers and transportion haulers.
    and this is what i fear for dragons should they be rode by the other races.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I'm all for this idea, although this has been suggested manymany times. xD But still! I've always thought it would be a neat addition to the game, and would attract many players.
    Although it might be easier for me to say that since Kiryu is.. well, a biped friendly dragon and wouldn't mind helping them get somewhere faster. :3 Don't know about the more Lunus-ey dragons here.. Even though Reaver, my alt, is considerably.. less tolerant of bipeds. But bah, he can't even fly yet. :P

But erm.. still! This idea has my support. Probably somewhere on the pony list, but maybe someday. :3 Wishful thinking~
    -Skyliner: Adult Dragon on Chaos 100/100 - Reaverr Whitelaw: Hatchling Dragon On Chaos 21/22- Sezyrn Osskhel: Hatchling Dragon on Chaos 0/0(lool)-

My love wears forbidden colours~

gonna go out on a limb here and guess, not, gonna happen...but I'm not in charge, just a guess.

If/when big if they introduce that, i think falling damge needs to accompany it.

You see what I'm saying yes?

I also see no benefit aside from cosmetics.
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Plenty of benefit besides cosmetics.

Aerial combat and defense (imagine having a mage on your back freely casting spells like crazy).
    New leather formulas and techniques for either tinkers or outfitters (I doubt weavers or tailors would get into either saddle or riding strap making, but definitely an outiftter task for sure).
    Ease of transport, for both dragon and biped (two cargo disks are better than one!).
    Coin quests for dragons (carry certain NPC from town A to town B safely).
    Reasons to trade with dragons even more (5k hoard per one-way trip?).
    Reduction of use of the portal system (less lag time).
    Speed of troop movement (think of how quickly you could get a few dozen ablebodied fighters to an Aegis spawn. Now, double that because you have both bipeds and dragons at the same time).

And think of all the beauty of Istaria bipeds miss because they're stuck on the ground and can't look down from above!
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

I'm with this 110%! I've always agreed with this, even though its been said before it wouldn't happen. I don't see why not. I know its a lot of work, but eventually would be a happier answer to me. Maybe they could even ride dragon's cargo disks, have them just sit on them or whatever. But the idea of arial combat, Woo! OMG that'd be freaking awesome! Blighted dragons with Angis riders battling the gifted! Or some other flying beasts that we could fight. Like gryffins, or wyverns or whatever.

if I recall correctly, the devs had said its /not/ going to happen, the game mechanics do not support it and it would be too expensive. Gotta keep in mind they are a tiny company with not nearly the support or equipment like those big wigs out there like Blizzard. *points to Tak's link* check that out, its a read.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

I think this is a wonderful idea and it would be a miracle if it did come to be. However, I understand that it's not going to happen. I don't think it would be convenient or even possible to implement into the game.

I wish there were something along those lines, though. I play as a dragon and my boyfriend plays as an elf, and when I get my wings, I'd like to be able to have him along for the ride, rather than have to leave him behind.

We can dream!

this is a very old issue, dating back to Tulga. it's never going to happen.

The Naka descule shale never tame me i would rather be entombed by the Counsel Of ancients for ruthless slaughtering them

/rp off

glad it wont be developed very bad idea unless we can add fall damage and caus it to rain bipeds *we need an evil grin icon *
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Romirez View Post
    this is a very old issue, dating back to Tulga. it's never going to happen.
    Never say never. Just understand that it will take so much programing that it is highly unlikely.

sloestar

mhm, ya thats true. but i still thi nk it would be fun. oh well, i enjoy the game as it is.

As a Dragon, and Helian at that, I'm all for lending a wing to a biped in need. I already carry heavy loads for them, might as well offer to take them with me when I'm out and about.

In fact, it might make grouping a bit easier if I can offer to take someone to the fight versus asking them to jog out to where I am.

But, yes, this has been bandied about for a long while...

*shuffles through his collection of Istaria-Stuff*

Here's something from back in May of 2006, an IRC chat...

-=-=-=-=-=-
    *Eonis* If Bipeds are allowed to ride dragons, how much input will the dragon get over who gets to ride them, and how would having a rider affect their flight?

*DavidBowman* We haven't committed to allowing Bipeds to ride dragons. However, it is definitely a goal of ours for the future. But, it would always be up to the dragon to invite a rider, and to choose when to drop that rider (unless they bailed out). And, we'd probably have to add falling damage at that time too. ;-)
    -=-=-=-=-=-

...Falling damage... (shudders) That would completely change the face of Istaria.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

eck i am with you there, raes - much much too used and dependent on my not taking damage when falling now that i could never support (like vi needs my support, but still... ) it now.....
    no more jumping off the cliff outside of aug on your way to the port after crafting a floating silo full of granite keystones???? nope can't get behind falling damage at all, nosirree!!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

May I ask for a dev response as to why Dragon riding hasn't been added/isn't being developed? Is it just beyond the teams skill (currently)? To much work for one project? Has there been a response to this from a member of the most recent dev team?

Thread Information