Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A shard's warmth

Default Re: A shard's warmth

Quote Originally Posted by Shur View Post

perhaps the game needs re-titled again? Istaria: Drama of the Gifted?

;p
    hehehehehehe gotta luv the Shur

BEWARE: WALL OF TEXT FOLLOWS

As a role player away from Istaria (I don't within it, I don't ike to limit myself in video games, if I RP'd I would) I feel the need to speak up.

I'll be civil.

Certain topics are innapropriate for public channels, viewing, television or radio. Who deicides? Not me thats for sure. I'm very hard to offend with anything graphic at all. I think being politically correct and over sensitive goes too far. I also think the old saying "your rights end where my ears/body/eyes start."

basically, lets not preach freedom of speech, or "right" to act/speak/write as one sees fit...eventually the person saying that will be on the other end of that arguement/statement.

I wasn't there, I don't want to see the logs. It isn't my business and honestly, I don't care what happened.

Mature roleplaying regardsless of whether or not it is due to gore, violence, swearing, sensual/sexual innuendo or blatant behavior: is a big NO-NO with some.

rather than speak of appropriate behavior, I will appeal to this instead...respect. That's right, it all goes back to treat others as you would like to be treated. If you want ignored when uspset, scared or angry...by all means ignore those who are in that emotional state...expect to reap what you sow however.

Rather than whine about mature rated behavior...be mature enough to voice your opinion calmly and respectfully and leave if the majority will not listen. It may be your right to complain about it, but it isn't any more mature than theyare behaving now is it?

There isn';t much more to be said by me on this topic...please note however all you non reole players: not everyone is sensitive about their roleplaying. Not everyone obsesses over it, or woudl prefer to pretend to be someone else rather than live life. Not all of them roleplay just to be uber leet or strong or sexy or whatever. name the negative connotation, it doesn't always apply.

(Please note I am not accusing anyone on Order of these behaviors I'm defending the shard. Roleplaying is perfectly acceptableand doesn't deserve the negative connotations it gets.)

Roleplaying does appear on chaos and blight as well, I should know, I play there. I get into the roleplaying a little bit. it is an mmoRPg after all.

Yes every shard has it's share of "bad apples"....please note however, that hey are often not hte ones being complained about. "When pointing fingers even more point back at you." sort of thing. I beg people to do some homework if yo uwill before casting judgement. "Judge not lest ye be judged", or for the less religious types..."you aren't the law, nor judge, jury, or executioner, condemn not your fellow man".

That covers everything more or less.

Also, lets not call non roleplayers riff raff...it...makes role players look bad or seem to be actiing...superior...not a good thing. (seems to meit was only relating to non roleplayers on the roleplayign shard...but still not very kind to speak that way no?) I'm a blunt guy...downright brutally honest...sometimes rude or snarky. I know it may not be a good quality. Just somethign to think about. Yes, I suppose I am pointing out Shurand Xoshara in that regard...and yes plenty more fingers point back at me...but I admit it
    Ignem Infernum - Abi in malum rem.
    Ixatchitxl the Defiler - Fafnir who? I was here first!
    Think! Its not illegal...yet.
    Adventuring: aka Genocide, Graverobbing, and Temple Desecration.

Verywell spoken Silver!
    I can see how someone could perceive that snipit conversation as "vore" thou it may be extreamly mild case IMHO.
    As far as drama on Order, that's nothing new. It exists on everygame that allows for RP, mostly in the form of people not being able to seperate their characters from theirselves (tho that's not the case here). Or one or two people take over the RP of a group, and tend to explode when someone doesnt react the way they think they should react.

However these types are only a very small percentage of any rp group, and tho they can cause a lot of noise for a brief period, they'll end up leaving eventualy and life will return to normal.

Nor is stupid amounts of drama limited to RP servers, some of the worst drama I've ever been apart of was completely ooc from another game. Long story short it involved a woman who was cheating on her husband going crazy and acusing every female player she knew of cheating on her with her boyfriend. Then her going around and spreading all sorts of nasty rumors in a very highschool-y way. In the end I ended up leaving th server, as I couldnt seem to break away from the drama she'd started.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    Also, lets not call non roleplayers riff raff...it...makes role players look bad or seem to be actiing...superior...not a good thing. (seems to meit was only relating to non roleplayers on the roleplayign shard...but still not very kind to speak that way no?) I'm a blunt guy...downright brutally honest...sometimes rude or snarky. I know it may not be a good quality. Just somethign to think about. Yes, I suppose I am pointing out Shurand Xoshara in that regard...and yes plenty more fingers point back at me...but I admit it
    You're right. I'll leave it at that, because even though I'm agreeing with you the rest of this (my) post would've managed to offend everyone.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

oooooo i'll be riff raff!!!!
    Last edited by velveeta; June 17th, 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: sorry - couldn't resist...............
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Antici......pation!
    I love that movie

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblaze View Post
    rather than speak of appropriate behavior, I will appeal to this instead...respect. That's right, it all goes back to treat others as you would like to be treated. If you want ignored when uspset, scared or angry...by all means ignore those who are in that emotional state...expect to reap what you sow however.

This is so true, in every aspect of life, not only in game.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    Officially, I believe the entire Order shard is supposed to be role play unless otherwise stated.
    I found this in a thread titled, "Has Order become stuffy?"
    https://horizons.istaria.com/horizon...olePlaying.pdf

also,
    I only respond not to further the argument pro or con - I said my piece.

But to clarify what I said about OOC vs. RP in the channel...

Dragon chat itself was created, way long time before we even had shard created channels at all. As was marketplace. When the company finally got around (what..years later? lol ) to making server-created channels they kept the same names for the ones already there.

I personally know the guy who actually created that channel on day one - Evic. He created it specifically for OOC help to all dragons across the server (since we had no server created channels unless someone started a channel it didn't exist automatically - bots were created for this sole purpose apparently)

Now yes, Order is by default in public to be an RP server.

But my logic is this.. (regardless of the lack of enforcement - which doesn't exist, period)

Marketplace, while server created, is not given to be "auto rp". When you are sent to marketplace you are normally told its a trading channel - and people sell and trade there - OOC. Noone usually gets their panties in a bunch or minds - its understood.

So that's one bot channel that's understood to be OOC.

New Player Channel - bot created - not RP oriented - by sheer easy definition - be awfully frustrating to trya dn explain hotbars and stuff to new players going to that channel for that exact help .

There IS an RP channel (and an ooc Channel) so these two cross each other out - we have one of each and well 9.9 days out of 10 they're both empty. (not really relevant but just saying...)

So given that there are already established, clearly OOC oriented, bot-created channels - this obviously isn't a rule for the server.

There is no ooc-dragon chat channel. If there was I'd 100% direct peopel who didn't want to RP their dragons to go there.

But there isn't (and if a player even tried at this point pretty sure it woudln't work lol).

Dragons have one place clearly marked for them to go to get their dragon-oriented questions answered. New players and old - if they do a channel search, immediately they're going to see "dragon" and go "oh ok they'll knwo how to help me..."

There's nothing that denotes their questions would not be welcome or that they need to be IC or whatever. It doesn't say "Dragon-RP"

So keeping the original spirit of the original creator in mind, and keeping the logic that the server does NOT have regarding its bot-created rooms - Dragon chat SHOULD be always welcome to ooc discussions and conversations - especially when it comes to game related questions.

People should not be expected to always (( )) their talk. And people should not expect their RP to NOT be interrupted by people talking OOC.

If they say it with me, I correct their misperception and ask them that if they really want to be interrupted - they need to go elsewhere.

Honestly the way I see it if you're ina public place expected to not be interruprted in any way -and you're RPing - you're being a bit selfish and selfserving just expecting everyoen to read your wonderful and fabulous RP and not either take part or talk in any way .

But that's a different subject
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I would like to clarify what I expect with order being roleplay. Others have differing opinions; these are just mine.

Generally, I do not mind ooc technical questions concerning how to do things in Istaria. I love being able to help when I can. Prolonged troubleshooting with only 2 folks involved might better be done via /t or a private chat but it'd have to be pretty lengthy for me to suggest that.

I do not think it appropriate to bring up real world topics in public istarian chats - I do not come to istaria to discuss which soccer team will win the cup, or who will win whatever election in whatever real world country, etc. To me, that is what is ooc and should be in brackets if ever mentioned - and generally, should not be in public chats.

Thus, to me, dragon chat and marketplace both remain ic chats even when someone asks for help with dragon quests, etc. My rule of thumb is RP = anything that may be encountered/arise while playing Istaria; OOC = anything not directly related to what is currently able to be in game.

I also agree that it is best to be respectful of others' requests when possible. Mocking them and telling them to 'deal' is not respectful. Telling them you expect to be done with the roleplay in fifteen minutes (or whatever time) at least gives them a time frame to plan around.
    Last edited by awdz; June 24th, 2009 at 03:31 AM.

Thread Information