Thread: Let player made chat channels be password protected!

Default Let player made chat channels be password protected!

Our guild and many others like to make their own chat channels for guild members to congrigate. Quite often non guild members will come in uninvited even though we have it marked with the guilds name and stating it's our guild channel.

There have also been times we've logged into our channel and a non-member is in there and afk so none of the guild members can be promoted to admin. yet this person is marked as admin. so in essence has high-jacked our guild channel. This happened to us just the other day. The person was afk for about 4 or 5 hrs. Needless to say, our guild members were not happy about this.

Having it so player made channels could be password protected would eliminate this.

Default Re: Let player made chat channels be password protected!

One fix till or if they add password protection is to just kick them from the channel, once kicked they can not come back into the channel until they get an invite.

And just in case you've not seen it (though I think it comes up automatically), guilds get their own chat channel when formed that can only be used for members.

However Guild chat channel has no list on right hand side showing who is in the channel - can this be fixed? (Guild Chat tab can be set up in same way as Group tab).

Knossos

Not that I know of, however, checking the guild list (hit 'u') will tell you who in the guild is on. Any guildmember that is on is automatically in the guild channel.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth
    One fix till or if they add password protection is to just kick them from the channel, once kicked they can not come back into the channel until they get an invite.
    Sadly only until restart.

We have a visitor that's been booted out of channel about 4 times now and he persists in sneaking back in after restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Ah I did not know that. I should have guessed it though.

Velea, guilds may get their own channel, but it doesn't have the names of those who are on like player channels do. If you could make guild channels like the player channels with the names of guild members going down the left side I'd be one happy person and so would quite a few others.

As Steelclaw said, you can see who's online in your guild by opening the guild roster menu.

I also add members of the guild to my friend's list so that I can see when someone from the guild logs in. And if you leave that window open, you'll be able to see who's online very easily.

I have to agree with Dianera. Having the guild list open takes up too much screen real estate and is not practical. Please either let us password protect player made channels or make the guild channel similar to play made channels and have it show who's in it. Seems to me this is a simple request.
    Frost dragon; slayer of chickens.

Add the active guild mates to Friends list.
    Nothing But Love! That's what makes Dragons Fly!

While I certainly agree with the idea to have player-made channels have the option to be Passworded (as they are in other games).

I'm not quite sure I see the legitmate "complaint" of guild names not displaying in the guild chat - which not a single other game does as well.

You have notification when guildies login and out. You have a guild member window. You can add you're entire guild to your friends list. My point being there are many ways to know who is online in the guild and who isn't. Plus, they could be TALKING in your guild chat - letting you know who's online and who isn't. I mean if they aren't talking anyway - they aren't contributing to the guild chat so what does it matter if you have to press an extra button to see their name?

And I doubt its that simple. Like I said, not a single other game - all of which include the auto-guild-chat-channel - have lists of who is in the room. Heck not many games have lists of who is in ANY room. Its a bonus that Hz has this to me- but it may very well be very complicated to turn guild chat into its own "chat channel with names displayed".

I mean you can be in guild chat without actually having a tab opened for it - so you're not really "in a room" per say - which would make identifying "room inhabitants" more difficult I imagine on a programming point.

But hey I've been a victim of unwelcomed room crashers - and people in the room who choose to kick other people in the room due to conversation topic or something. So I know the frustration - and agree with the idea of having PWs for player created rooms (or even perhaps have the option to NOT display them in the rooms available).

But it very well be a "big deal" to get guild chat to "display" who is online - and since you have at least three other ways of doing the same thing - seems a bit...redundant to me.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

From Commands_Player.def:

Code:
    		//chatjoin
    		{
    			string name = "chatjoin"
    			string usage = "<chatgroup> [password]"
    			string description = "Joins or creates a chat channel.  A password may be required."
    			int numParams = 2
    			int minParams = 1
    		}
    The password option already exists, I remember trying this feature a long time ago but it never worked properly: people who were joining the channel had sometimes a pop up window to type the password but that was really inconstant. Most of time, even with password set, people could enter freely.
    So I guess it is bugged.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

yes nice idea!

some protection would be nice

Thread Information