Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I find out how to speak the language?

Default Where can I find out how to speak the language?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. >_>

Default Re: Where can I find out how to speak the language?

Here is the guild's website who has it posted:

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...45&TabID=86899

Or it was there... it seems that the link is somehow broken =/

But if you are looking for the name of the language, it is called Kier Chet (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and thus, what you should look for if you want to look for it.

If you're refering to the language some of us dragons like to speak you can find it here

Intimidating list of words is intimidating. *considers ordering it in a more user-friendly way, dictionary-like*

Short hand list of words/phrases that tend to be common:

Glit'sita nien (or Glit'sita, or just 'sita): Hello Everone!
    Ieo: I (masculine)
    Iea: I (feminine)
    Nieo: You (Masculine)
    Niea: You (feminine)
    Nien: They (gender neutral)
    K'iea/K'Ieo: My/mine
    A'meo/mea: Father/Mother.
    Keir A'meo/mea: Grandfather/mother
    sebenne/Sebeo/Sebea: My love
    Aoretao/Aoretaa: Son/daughter (or child)
    Aoreban: Hatchling or little one (normally non-family)
    Naka Duskeal/Naka: Non-dragons

There's a few others that surface from time to time but mostly its that list above that you'll see constantly.

Ahah, but I'm after the uncommon~ I've found a little talent for the lingo, and I'm hoping I can make it interesting.

Ahhhhh....

Mmmmn, delicious challenge. :B

I, for one, really like the Istarian Dragon language and wish you luck in becoming more versed in it. Linguistics is a bit of a hobby of mine and Istaria having a fully-developed language for its Dragons - supported by the players none the less - is a big draw for me.

The language itself is about as complex as Tolkien's Quenya in that it is a highly agglutinative language - meaning that there are many prefixes and/or suffixes for a word that can change it's tense, plural state, gender, etc. - similar to Finnish.

It's also a nice sounding language when spoken aloud... Not the sort of thing I would associate with a Dragon, which I figure would be a more harsh sounding language with more glottal and plosive sounds... The Dragon of Istaria is a more refined being and speaks with a more lilting tongue.

None the less, it beats simply adding [draconic] to the begining of a sentence to delineate the language, as done in some MUSH/MUD systems. (chuckle)

In parting, I leave you with another dialect of Dragon-kind - a simple greeting between Dragons and general well-wishing:

Ah'loo in'lea, sa'ack blick Cre-oten... Ka Ve'see!

Quote Originally Posted by Sssargon View Post
    Here is the guild's website who has it posted:

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.asp...45&TabID=86899

Or it was there... it seems that the link is somehow broken =/

But if you are looking for the name of the language, it is called Kier Chet (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and thus, what you should look for if you want to look for it.
    I believe Keir Chet (k'Eilerten) was the name of the guild, Eilert Erdonne, literally "Dragon Speak", is the language.

I have a very nice PDF, set up like a dictionary (english to dragon and dragon to english) that I should upload somewhere and link...

It IS uploaded to the site linked above..

However the formatting got messed up between my typing it and the way wikki works I guess (of which I have no experience). And with my new job I've not been able to go back and fix the formatting...

I AM goign to get it posted up here, I just have to set aside the time to recut/paste/type it all up. I'm thinking it should go in Order/Roleplay area, and hopefully get stickied...

Perhaps I can find time sometime this week, until then the only source we have right now is on the ORder Underground Wikki - cuz yea the KCE site where it was stored..disappeared .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

addition: okey dokey the language found on the link Tcei provided - I went and fixed the formatting for the most part - so now its MUCH MORE READABLE!

http://roleplay.orderunderground.org...Eilert_Erdoten

Actually looks more like a dictionary now instead of a bunch of runon sentences with jibberish...

But it is the full language documentation, much of the latter 1/3 to 1/2 you prolly never use, but some language enthusiasts like all that official stuff. Me I keep to the common words/phrases and then a few key words here and there as I learn them (the more you use it the easier it gets hehe)

When I get more time, hopefully in the next week (got a new job two weeks ago and the schedule is playign Blight with my body) I plan on posting it here on the forum s- prolly under order/roleplay - and hopefully get it stickied!

And then add the links int he sig so everyone can find it easily and it never gets lost again (like it has on the KCE homepage..it just went poof one day...)
    Last edited by Frith-Rae; August 23rd, 2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: k
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Frith-Rae,

If it'd be any help to you, I have the version from the KCE homepage downloaded and can email it if you need it.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

I actually have a pdf file of it. I don't remember where I downloaded it from though.

Hm, I like to just use a couple of words from the language occasionally. I don't think I would have it in me to try to use -all- the words. Besides, it probably wouldn't be understood very well...

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtalon View Post
    Hm, I like to just use a couple of words from the language occasionally. I don't think I would have it in me to try to use -all- the words. Besides, it probably wouldn't be understood very well...
    Just using a few common words- yes, that's how I use it... and most of the others that use it do this too. It just adds a bit of 'flavor'.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

actually Nam the one that's posted is the one that was on the website - its just as far as *I* know I can't just copy/paste to a wikki I had to edit it myself.

I have it in pdf form and such, so at this point its just having 10 minutes to myself to concentrate and cut/paste to post it here. I WILL Do it in the next 4 days...from today...lol.

But thanks for the offer - I do have the full copy (though I just altered the order for the wikki site to put the most used stuff in the top instead of all the linguistic stuff first )
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

"Ieo/Idea D'na Scov! - I'm (male/female) not a horse! "

This sort of makes me feel better in knowing that I wasn't the only one mistakenly called a horse. Doesn't help so much with the fact that it was my dad who made that mistake. D:
    Ryushu Suisen, Tathar Nuar, and PhoenixStar, Guildmaster of the Construction Crew
    Check out our wares!

one day one day...when I have time..lol

There's actually a whole poem/song my bonded mate created entitled "Ieo D'na Scov!" which is how the slogan got popular.

Whenever I manage to have the time, if noone else still has it - I'll post it up . You know along with the language one day lol (it is on the RP Wikki...)
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

In a related topic, I'm just wondering if anyone has made up a written form of the language. I ask because I'm modeling something for dragons in the game right now and I would like to include some recognizable text with it. I know a font called Cla-write and I have the author's permission to use it but I would like to have something more specifically Istarian that would fit with spoken Eilert Erdoten.

Thread Information