Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drop Rates on Saytr Island and off Undead in General

Default Re: Drop Rates on Saytr Island and off Undead in General

Huh. Gunder's experience makes me think that the drop rate on those Zombie Ribs could use a second look.

Yes, there's probability involved, but what is the probability of not looting a rib until the 55th consecutive kill?

Assume that:
    1. The expected drop rate for Zombie Ribs is 10% (1 in 10 kills).
    2. Loot is randomly selected every time (events are independent).

That means that there is a 90% chance of not looting a rib at each kill.

The probability of looting a rib on the 2nd kill is the probability of not looting a rib on the first kill, times the probability of looting a rib on the 2nd kill: 9%. (90% * 10%)

The probability of looting a rib on the 3rd kills is the probability of not looting a rib on the first and second kill, times the probability of looting a rib on the 3rd kill: 8.1%. (90% * 90% * 10%)

Thus, the probability of looting a rib on the 55th kill is the probability of not looting a rib on the first 54 kills, times the probability of looting a rib on the 55th: 0.033% (90% ^ 54 * 10%)

We know that the first rib drop was at the 55th kill, so the above scenario did, in fact happen. Either Gunder has been extremely (un)lucky or one or both of the assumptions are wrong.

Of course, I could be wrong with my use of statistics, in which case I'd appreciate a correction and explanation.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I don't know what kind of sample size you need to get any sort of statistics, but I killed 9 zombies and got a rib on #3 and #6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

since then I have got 2 more in 18 more kills might eventually even out. thanks everyone for letting me vent

Excuse me but if this is "top of the shiz" stuff, why should it be trivial and quick to acquire? Imho T3 (!) reagents should drop a lot to give everyone a fair headstart, but the more you move to the top of the line the more you should dedicate your time to get them (because in MMOs the difficuty can only be implemented as time sink, no way you can make them with true difficulty, else a sizable part of the playerbase would never get the items).
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

*stamps on her foot like Rumpelstiltskin*
    no, no, no- I do not agree- I never will!

I worked out a compromise, how about that:

Nadia spawns on the Satyr Islands by random.
    For every single item you want to buy,
    you have to kill (at least) 10 Satyr mobs(random)
    and/or the myloc queen, and/or SoG, Reklar & Valkor all together and at once,
    whenever you talk to nadia you get 5 dp,
    each item costs half of your savings,..
    uhhm- sounds a bit half baked,I should think that over.

But I was kidding anyway
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    *stamps on her foot like Rumpelstiltskin*
    no, no, no- I do not agree- I never will!

I worked out a compromise, how about that:

Nadia spawns on the Satyr Islands by random.
    For every single item you want to buy,
    you have to kill (at least) 10 Satyr mobs(random)
    and/or the myloc queen, and/or SoG, Reklar & Valkor all together and at once,
    whenever you talk to nadia you get 5 dp,
    each item costs half of your savings,..
    uhhm- sounds a bit half baked,I should think that over.

But I was kidding anyway

I think Blizzard did something right with their MMO.

In the beginning they copied the other MMOs (as usual) and would "harass" their players with low drop rates of reagents.

This proved to:

- tire players

- to make them think they are not killing the right mob ("it can't be real, after 25 mobs no drops... maybe it's the wrong spawn" / "is the server bugged" / "did they stealth nerf the drops?")

- to create NASTY harassment camp situations

- a very unpleasant feeling of lack of progress.

The solution? Obvious! Make almost every mob (max 1 out of 2-3) drop the reagent, and have recipes requiring more reagents or require sub-components made of several of those often dropping reagents.

This makes people see "something happens" and not feel they wasted 1 hour with no drop in sight.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.

I put 2 t5 zombie ribs on a public connie, for 50 silver a pop, I never put stuff on that expensive, but I'm reassessing my role in game lately...satyr drops are difficult hunts, low drop rates, hence why no one sells them... Kind of odd...I've bought into the "niceness" factor of Istaria, I don't like charging people money for things. But ultimately it's my time in game lvling "x" school so i can make "x" product or hunt "x" comp...Chaos shard, my shard, you can't find ogre toes, or blue vexes on a connie, aint happenin, nobody sells that crap, what's a fair shake on it?

that is NOT expensive!!

I've not missed Nadia one bit recently returned quite broke and have made a tidy sum on comps, which as a non crafter is my only real source of income considering the lousy pawn rates a hunt of Istarian loot brings.

The drop rates could be better on the Satyr Isles for sure on a few things Vexes come to mind first. But I love hunting the Satyr Isles so anyone on Order in need of comps send me the list ingame, I've the patience for hunting there and the time in real, and love the challenge of it. Triple teched t5 gear should be rare its HZ's endgame, the boss drops are average, quest rewards average, the challenge for hz is getting the T5 teched gear now Nadias gone, and considering its an endgame with endless time potential to tripletech all our spells, weapons, armour , craft gear needed in game it seems a good one to strife for.

If the Satyr Isles have any major game play fault to me its the needless time wasted running there, ussually a couple times per hunt if solo, a much closer bind point for all of the them would make them much more appealing as a place to hunt.

Guess it all comes down to some luck and when I started this thread mine was in the crapper since then I am up to five ribs out of the 16 I need and have only doubled what it took to get my first rib. On the other hand I have everything else I need for a full set of Mith plate fully teched I have had some donations towards my set and I thanks everyone that help and all those you listened to my frustration and most of those that responded(I think one of the posts pretty much to me to suck it up and that person can politely bite me) but the rest of you let me vent.

Thanks again
    -Gunder

*politely bites Gunder*...not sure what a polite bite is...maybe just a nibble? Glad you're getting some help with the comps...how are you teching your mith plate set?

I put 2 t5 zombie ribs on a public connie, for 50 silver a pop, I never put stuff on that expensive, but I'm reassessing my role in game lately...satyr drops are difficult hunts, low drop rates, hence why no one sells them... Kind of odd...I've bought into the "niceness" factor of Istaria, I don't like charging people money for things. But ultimately it's my time in game lvling "x" school so i can make "x" product or hunt "x" comp...Chaos shard, my shard, you can't find ogre toes, or blue vexes on a connie, aint happenin, nobody sells that crap, what's a fair shake on it?
    See, Istaria has been reinterpreded into a friendship game with no economy.

But it was made with economy in mind, those drops are actually the little bits of a working economy left. Because there is so little offer that in case none in guild have that stuff, demand go beyond the istarian "friendship" barrier of giving everything away.

im thinking 1g on those drops..that's my time...

if you live in the area and can give me a ride home from work, i'll hunt em for free

Vahrokh: I agree to you-theoretically:
    Those who are able to and love to hunt Satyr comps - they do not need money.
    They could hunt for weeks - as soon the stuff is in the consi- its sold.

And most of them have better things to do, than hunt on Satyr all Istarian life long.

So the "Istarian friendship barrier" stays where it is,
    and new players, or players who have no connections have no chance.
    (I feel pitty for all full-time crafters, icl dragons)

I play as a paladin so in order if they are available Health Str Dex Armor 2hs think I had a couple lifes in there. Down to needing 6 more ribs so hoping to get em today although the server is down for maintainance.

Woot I am 100% done with the mats I need for my mith plate set just waiting for my friend Grodec to log in and have him make it all It took me a bit over 300 zombies to get all 16 so I guess really that isn't bad but at 1:55 I wasn't looking forward to it at all.

Thread Information