Thread: Multiple logins on the one box

Question Multiple logins on the one box

can someone please help me clear my head on this matter...

i've been told its possible, but does that include Chaos?
    if i was dual monitoring, would i have to play in windows mode?
    what subscriptions would i need? i have a gifted, would i need another gifted, or could i get away with just a basic (or even demo, not that i would)?

Also, do I need a whole new install, or should I copy the whole game folder, or do I just run the launcher and log in to a different character?

ive never had dual monitors till now, so im all quite new till this whole idea, so any hints on any aspects would be hugely appreciated.
    Last edited by hallucin8; August 18th, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Default Re: Multiple logins on the one box

I've just run the launcher, logged in to character one, run the launcher again, logged into character two.

Yes, windowed mode is required.

You'll need two accounts, I believe... At least that's what I've used in the past. Any two accounts should work.

I've never done anything special with the client, but I've heard that you get better performance if your world cache is on a separate drive... You'll have to ask around for the instructions on how to do that.

You can do as Raeshlavik suggests and fire up the launcher a second time once you have one character logged in.

Be warned, however, that the client does not perform any sort of file locking. That's not a problem if all that's happening is reading, but certain shared pref files and the world cache may end up corrupted as a result of being written to by multiple programs that don't know about each other. Most of a time this isn't an issue because both clients don't try to write to the same file at the same time, though some activities, like logging off or porting, increase the chances of one client clobbering another.

My advice, if you're going to run multiple instances regularly, is to make a complete copy of your Horizons/Istaria folder, run the launcher in the first one, log in a character, then run the launcher in the second folder and log in the second character. That will result in both instances having their own set of prefs and world cache.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Acul, Trandalar and Tagath's in Mala, Genevia Island

Something else to be aware of. If you are using a dual core (or more) computer, you'll notice huge lag spikes multiple booting. These can be alleviated by the following after multiple booting and characters are in game:
    1. <ctrl><alt><del> to get to the Task Manager.
    2. Go to the Processes tab.
    3. Click on the Name column. This sorts all the processes by name.
    4. Right click on the first istaria.exe process and Set Affinity. You will be given another window showing all your active CPUs and a check box beside each. By default, every process runs on as many cores as you have. Uncheck the second CPU and any others, leaving this instance running only on CPU 0 and click OK.
    5. Right click on the second istaria.exe process and Set Affinity. For this one, uncheck all other CPUs except CPU 1 and click OK. Continue this same thing for as many processes as necessary so each istaria.exe is running on it's own CPU.
    6. Close the Task Manager window.

You will notice the results in a few seconds as the processes sort themselves out to run on their own CPUs. Tagath and I often are running anywhere between 18-40 fps nearly all the time this way.
    C`gan Weyrsinger, blue Tagath's rider, WorldProjects Team Lead Emeritus
    Tagath, blue Lunus "for the breath weapon"
    Located in sunny Acul on Trandalar, Order shard

Thread Information