Thread: New Player - have some questions :)

Default New Player - have some questions :)

Hello everyone,

I played this a long, long time ago and just recently came back and have a few confusions I was hoping people could help clear up

1. Spells
    Aside from the "Tier 1" stuff that can be purchased in New Trismus, is it safe to assume that any future tiers of spells MUST be crafted (or purchased from a player who has levelled spellcrafting?) If not, can someone point me at the elusive vendor because I seem to have missed them?

2. Spellcraft
    Been levelling this myself, however the 1 trainer that seems to exist (Kateos in Kirasanct) only has journeyman/expert stuffs. And the scholar trainer does not appear to have all spell formulas. (Specifically, looking for a few low lvl nature spells, Stone Fist, Thunder Cloud, etc. The Imperial Spell Vendor sells the spells, but nobody appears to have the formulas.). Are some of them drop-only? Is there a list somewhere of which ones would be drop only?

3. Missing NPCs
    When I got back on my 'old old old' account, one of my characters had the Fearsome Hauberk of the Quester, and other interesting tidbits, but apparently the NPC that I got them from no longer exists, or has been moved. A bit fuzzy here. Also, "Minisa" the spellcraft trainer in Tazoon, gone with all the others. IS there a beginner lvl spellcraft trainer anywhere in the game?

Is there an up to date list of which NPCs still exist? Its frustrating for a new player to try to take initiative and look things up themselves, but the gamersinfo site and the wiki both seem to be out of date.

4. Does anyone know of a quarry that also has a scholar's desk ;P

5. I know that the population has dwindled, but I see a bunch of dragons sat around all the time in New Trismus, is there any other place where people can be found gathering? A main gathering place if you will? (I'm on Order).

Thanks in advance...

Default Re: New Player - have some questions :)

New Trismus is popular, as is Bristugo. I frequently see gatherings of dragons in Dralk, and Aughendell normally has a few folks haning around. But NT and Brist are the main sites of random gatherings.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i shall answer as best as i can, and if i am wrong, someone will provide the correct info shortly!

1. Spells
    Aside from the "Tier 1" stuff that can be purchased in New Trismus, is it safe to assume that any future tiers of spells MUST be crafted (or purchased from a player who has levelled spellcrafting?) If not, can someone point me at the elusive vendor because I seem to have missed them?

actual spells that you memorize must be crafted, either by you or by someone else. don't forget about techs that can be added..... as far as i know, there is no complete 'spell' vendor.

2. Spellcraft
    Been levelling this myself, however the 1 trainer that seems to exist (Kateos in Kirasanct) only has journeyman/expert stuffs. And the scholar trainer does not appear to have all spell formulas. (Specifically, looking for a few low lvl nature spells, Stone Fist, Thunder Cloud, etc. The Imperial Spell Vendor sells the spells, but nobody appears to have the formulas.). Are some of them drop-only? Is there a list somewhere of which ones would be drop only?

scholar trainers sell spells (i know the one in dali does, for sure), i hate magic so i haven't paid much attention (the spells i do have are mostly donations....)[ to find a scholar: http://horizons.gamersinfo.net/atlas...cholar+Trainer], so i have no real idea if the spellcrafter sells the spell forms [http://horizons.gamersinfo.net/atlas...after+Trainer] - i do know that all exp forms and items are now drop only or obtainable during special events like gnomekindle.....
    spells for specific skewls should also be obtainable from the skewl's trainer, i should think.....

3. Missing NPCs
    When I got back on my 'old old old' account, one of my characters had the Fearsome Hauberk of the Quester, and other interesting tidbits, but apparently the NPC that I got them from no longer exists, or has been moved. A bit fuzzy here. Also, "Minisa" the spellcraft trainer in Tazoon, gone with all the others. IS there a beginner lvl spellcraft trainer anywhere in the game?

well, a llllllloooooooottttttttt has happened since you last walked the world. many things have come and gone. the above comment contains the link to the spellcrafter trainers according to the gamer's info site, but of course you know by now that it may be very outdated, depending on the info you are looking for......

4. Does anyone know of a quarry that also has a scholar's desk ;P

a trade station or the keep in new trismus (argh, i hate the evil place!!!) square, i think......only other place would be a draggies craft cave, like the one by the shrine in chic or next to the port pads in dralk (possibly the craft cave next to the obs fields in char as well, but i can't remember if i ever noticed....)

5. I know that the population has dwindled, but I see a bunch of dragons sat around all the time in New Trismus, is there any other place where people can be found gathering? A main gathering place if you will? (I'm on Order).

well, it has always been my limited experience that the main gathering place (aside from plots, of course) in blight is brist, for sure. the evil place if you are babysitting......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Hm, I'll go around and look at the school trainers, haven't had much luck with that. Pretty much figured that if I want to use magic, I'll have to level spellcraft. Which is okay, except that the spell formulas aren't to be found in a lot of cases. I spose I'll just have to figure out what monsters need killing then

And yeah, I looked @ the wiki and gamersinfo, seems like half the NPCs I look up on there don't actually exist anymore.

I didn't even think of looking in the dragon caves, I'll go try that...

Thank you <3

The quary and scholar's desk question will need a little clarification: I see that you are on Order - what stone are you working with?

I ask because there are places where Players have opened their personal craft machines for public use. Slate, for example, is best worked in Snowfall (near Mahagra) as there is a Player-owned stone cutter right up the hill and it sits next to a scholar's desk. This makes for easy slate spellshards.

It's been my experience that someone has a machine one can use near most of the resources - the trick is always finding the best mix of resource location, critters wandering around, and length of journey to the machines.

I'm sure others have far more detailed information than I do and will chime in here.

As for places people hang out, New Trismus is popular. Some of the bigger guild towns are also popular - I've always found someone to talk to in Carmo while sitting in the tavern and having dinner to rid myself of a few death points.

Ah, thanks thats exactly what I wanted to know.

Slate is good for now I haven't explored too many of the 'plot' areas yet, still doing quests in Sslanis when I'm not running about filling the craft addiction....

Quote Originally Posted by Anzha View Post
    Hm, I'll go around and look at the school trainers, haven't had much luck with that. Pretty much figured that if I want to use magic, I'll have to level spellcraft. Which is okay, except that the spell formulas aren't to be found in a lot of cases. I spose I'll just have to figure out what monsters need killing then

And yeah, I looked @ the wiki and gamersinfo, seems like half the NPCs I look up on there don't actually exist anymore.

I didn't even think of looking in the dragon caves, I'll go try that...

Thank you <3
    Hi Anzha,

Were there any spellcraft trainers that don't exist which are mentioned in the Spellcraft wiki page? I'll update them if they are incorrect. I'm pretty sure Kateos is still in Kirasanct but I'm not sure about Minisa. The GamersInfo data hasn't been updated for about three years, but the Wiki should be a lot more up-to-date.

And there isn't really a need to level Spellcrafter if you want to use magic - there are almost always people in-game that will be happy to make your spells for you. Usually the requirement is a minimum of supplying all the ingredients (which are best found using the Horizons Crafting Calculator), but you may have to provide some cash as an incentive if you don't get someone straight away.

And welcome to Istaria

Stale.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Minisa is nowhere to be found. Kateos is still there, though. He doesn't sell beginner stuff, tho.

Thanks btw, maybe i'll just try to find someone to do it, heh heh ;P

There are two Spellcraft trainers:

Minisa who sells Beginner formulas and is located in Dalimond.

Kateos who sells both Journeyman and Expert formulas and is located in Kirasanct.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Cheers Amon - Minisa page updated. I'll fix the X/Y tonight.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Thread Information