Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Percentage based melee damage in game.

Default Re: Percentage based melee damage in game.

well spoken, Trust!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

It would appear that "stealthing" this change to the live shards may have resulted in more comprehensice "testing" than would have the same change had it simply been announced as ingredient in a Blight Delta for testing there.

In any case, while the game mechanics adjustment has now been described. it would be more than just a little bit nice to be told the specifics of the problem(s) which such a change is intended to resolve. As far as I have been told, mobs are already being given a greater stat increase per level than are the gifted for purposes of game balance.

well i did two heart seeker tests unbuffed only blue stance that gives a +25 to dmg
    1st test was 789 pierce to a lv 96 emerald golem so the % adjust was 263%
    2nd test a lv 98 emerald was 778 so 258.3%
    3rd test with 3 power buffs = 872 pierce on a lv 100 so the percent adjust was 291%

1 test of heart seeker II was 377 pierce lv 96 so adjust was 125.67%

both are supposed to be a 300% adjustment without any buffs
    going on this first tests these are a must fix now not put on a no eta plans

fyi my bow skill with gear and useing the bloodthorn bow is 1,430 current

Quote Originally Posted by Knossos View Post

In any case, while the game mechanics adjustment has now been described. it would be more than just a little bit nice to be told the specifics of the problem(s) which such a change is intended to resolve.
    I agree, and from my point of view as a frustrated player, it would be more than a little bit nice if the devs' limited time and resources were spent working on what is bugged, unfinished, and/or broken as opposed to merrily going off and breaking something else.
    Last edited by Trust; September 30th, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
    Tempus fugit, memento mori.

as for the not telling players of changes it is getting way out of had with the silent "fixes and patches" i honestly see no reason what so ever NOT to tell the player base when game mechanics or changes to player abilities to a system that is clearly not work functioning the way it used to be which imo there was no reason what so ever to touch or change things

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    There was change was moved off the live shards on Friday of last week. The combat change was something we were testing internally and it was unintentionally released to the live shards.Just in case you're wondering what happened the current damage calculation works about as follows:

1. Calculate damage of weapon based on all the stats and mods
    2. Add bonus for character's stats
    3. Add damage multiplier

The change we were testing did the following:

1. Calculate damage of weapon based on all the stats and mods
    2. Apply damage multiplier
    3. Add bonus for character's stats

The reason we were testing this change was that the damage multiplier currently multiplies the bonus provided by the character's stats. This makes it very hard to balance weapons and spells because the effect of the damage multiplier for a level 1 character is dramatically different than the effect for a level 99 character.

It is something that when we've completed testing internally to see various "ramifications", we'll purposely announce and put to testing on Blight, as per normal procedure.

I do apologize for the time that it took us to track down why players were seeing a change to damage on the live shards and get those changes rolled back.
    See? It was an error. Adjust.
    Last edited by Velea; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Please don't quote me out of context
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Ah, figured it was just a reordering of how the bonuses are calculated over the base damage. Did not anticipate that it was something actually being considered for a future change.

I would hope that, should this change go through in the future, it will allow more leeway in the power level of weapons and armor available since the focus is shifted off of character stats and more toward the base damage and inherent bonuses on weapons and abilities. An example would be more and higher damage variants of T6 weapons, since bonus damage would be added to base damage instead of multiplied to unbalanced numbers by the "old" system.

The game has long been fairly stagnant on the loot front and this would be a great opening for new equipment dynamics and buffs to older loot.

Drev

Two thoughts:

1. I understand this was a mistake and that's totally okay with me. Mistakes are mistakes and as such I don't mind. What would have been nice is to have a little blurb in the launcher saying "Hey guys, we goofed and pushed something to live that we didn't mean to. It's fixed now and we're sorry if it affected your gameplay. Have fun in Istaria!" This settles fears, and lets the players that do not frequent the forums know what happened, instead of letting them continue to unknowingly think it was a 'hidden nerf' and have sour feelings. Sour feelings building up is how you loose subs. A few sentences of communication here and there will go a long, long way.

2. I agree with Trust... of all the things to be dedicating time to, I am a bit surprised to hear about this one.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

I think it is supposed to provide more leeway for improving weapons... but we're rather left hurting if this change goes in before the new weapons do.

The mobs seem to have been affected by the change as well, I've noticed that fights are taking longer because neither I nor the mobs are doing as much damage as before.

This is a good thing however in terms of not getting one-shotted by kwellen berserkers and the like anymore. But a bad thing in terms of not being able to kill healers that seem to have the ability to complete heal themselves every 30 seconds.

Has this issue been resolved yet? I do not want to let it go if it hasn't. It effects everyone on the adventure side.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

To my knowledge it has been rectified. Whether or not we see some changes in the future along these lines is unknown--but possible, as I understand some of the statements made in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Awesome, thats great knews. You will see me ingame.
    Vengeance 100/100/41 Lunus Dragon on Chaos
    79 Million Hoard
    Moregoth the Hunter 278 rating
    28 level 100 adventure classes

I hope so! Taught the little one how to hunt trophies yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster
    I'm gonna post in this one too!

Thread Information