Thread: Gifteds Tinkering Convention

Lightbulb Gifteds Tinkering Convention

A note printed in clear but child-like writing on a parchment with a charred corner and wax drippings on it:

CALLING ALL TINKERERS FOR A TINKERING CONVENTION!

I miss having the chance to exhibit my inventions at the Annual Tinkering Convention of (Old) Rachival, and want to share with fellow tinkerers what advancements we have made. So any interested in bringing their device, explaining the theory of how it works, and demonstrating it, please meet me in the Spire's shadow on Sunday October 11. Observers are welcome to join us at your own risk.

I plan to present my Maple Seed Gnome Glider, a Hands-free Underwater Breathing Device, and an In-flight Dragon Drink Server. Please let me know if you would like to present something so that your invention can be added to the agenda.

Awdz Bodkins

P.S. If you can convince the Master Tinkerer in New Rachival that the Gifted are for more than just "Defeating the Withered Aegis and rebuilding our cities!" and that official Annual Tinkering Conventions should be reinitiated like they used to be held in Rachival, I'd be grateful!

< OOC comments
    - This is to be roleplay only event, with all actions to be stated in the Role-play chat channel on Order shard.
    - ALL ARE WELCOME WHETHER OR NOT YOU WANT TO PRESENT A DEVICE.
    - Characters do NOT need to gather at Spire's Shadow to roleplay, however your roleplay chat should reflect that area as if your character were standing there. That location was chosen because it allows for launching from a height and demonstrations in water as well as on land.
    - It will be held on Sunday October 11 at 10 am PDT (11 am MDT, noon CDT, 1 pm EDT, not sure if it's 5 or 6 pm Greenwich time).
    - Devices may be constructed from anything available in game, but only very simple devices are expected to function adequately well. Please plan what happens when you demonstrate your device accordingly.

Not sure at the moment what I'm forgetting but hopefully it'll work out okay... at least, as safely as any gnomish tinkering convention ever has! >

Default Re: Gifteds Tinkering Convention

Well I just finished up my tinkering convention demonstrations; I think it went splendidly well with great feedback on my devices. Many thanks especially to Lantua, Kytitia and Prestigesky! My log of the event follows. :-)

[MarketPlace: Awdz] tinkering convention... well demonstrations, anyway... to start in just a few min in the role-play chat!
    Lantua] *The ancient blue trots in and plops down*
    Awdz] *scampers about arranging contraptions*
    [MarketPlace: Awdz] okies please join the role-play chat to join in - or even just watch!
    Kytitia] *pauses in her work to take a look at those present; she hadn't noticed them before* oh! my... there's a few here I've not seen around before. what brings you here?
    Awdz] it's a tinkering convention! or at least, i'll be demonstrating some of my recent things
    Kytitia] oh... that can't be good... >.> I've seen a few gnomish inventions... not go so well...
    Awdz] i'm not sure if all the tinkerers heard about the opportunity by now
    Awdz] oh but i've been working on them! and partially tested some of them even!
    Kytitia] partially?
    Awdz] let me begin with my maple seed gnome glider
    Kytitia] I suppose that's better than not at all!
    Awdz] *brings out a wierd collection of wood and strings and straps*
    Kytitia] um... let me prepare first... *her form shimmers and becomes a little blurry* just to be safe... a Spirit Walk around this couldn't hurt
    PrestigeSky] *backs up so not to get tangled*
    Awdz] as you can see, i have a half dozen wooden maple seed carvings, each as big as myself from a maple board, affixed at intervals down this maple plank,
    Awdz] i got the idea from watching maple seeds twirl down that maybe they could slow my descent
    Kytitia] *looks over the pieces* oh? hmm.. that WOULD be nice, actually
    Awdz] there's a strap on the underside of the board by which i attach to it *ties it around herself*
    Kytitia] but just half a dozen? are you certain that's a uh... good number?
    Awdz] and on testing, i found that i needed something to help steer myself, so i used two more maple seed carvings as sort of air paddles
    Awdz] *holds up two more maple seed carvings with strings on the end of them*
    Kytitia] I think it would help to be able to guide yourself in a descent... yet
    Kytitia] er... yes, I mean
    Awdz] but i found when i tied them to my hands that i had problems getting out when i was done, so today i'm going to tie them to my feet
    Awdz] but not until i get up to the top of the spire where i'm going to launch from
    Awdz] *drags all the wooden contraptions up with her around and around up to the top of the spire*
    Kytitia] *blinks and cringes* the Spire? *shivers* ooh... I'm glad I'm not a gnome... I'm scared of heights... >.>
    Awdz] *sits on the edge swinging her feet as she gets things in place*
    Awdz] *finally ties the air paddles firmly to her ankles*
    Lantua] *cranes his neck and flexes his wings thoughtfuly*
    Awdz] okies, here we go! *pushes off*
    Kytitia] are you sure.... that's a good idea? >.>
    Kytitia] *watches the gnome leap off*
    Awdz] transpatiallyyyyyyy!!! *after just a moment, the top most seeds begin twirling and slow the descent toward the lake*
    Awdz] *starts kicking her legs frantically behind her*
    Awdz] *coasts across to land past the water*
    Awdz] *crashes due to the carvings extending down past her feet*
    Lantua] *winces*
    Kytitia] oh my... *she winces as the gnome crashes* ouch...
    Awdz] ack! aww crumblies!!
    Awdz] *thrusts wood and strings off of herself but winds up hopelessly tangled*
    Awdz] umm... can someone bring me the [<!--LI 8432625 11909380>Socketed Mithril Fabric Scissors<!--/LI>] from my backpack?
    Lantua] *Chuckles*\
    Awdz] i think this one needs another modification
    Kytitia] what was that saying the gnomes use? solve for the second step? *she dashes down, using her Sarisian speed to quickly get to the gnome's side to help, but heard Awdz' request too late and comes with her [<!--LI 11770465 12721435>Silver Fabric Scissors<!--/LI>]* you okay..?
    Awdz] can you cut me loose?
    Kytitia] yes... yes I can... *she kneels down to snip the strings free* um... yes... you may have missed a step or two with that project, Awdz, but at least it worked... a little
    Awdz] *half crawls, half rolls, and half flops toward kytitia
    Kytitia] ooh! keep still... don't want to snip you instead!
    Awdz] *settles down while kytitia destroys her contraption*
    Awdz] *pushes the parts away as each is cut off*
    Kytitia] *quickly finishes her work and pulls a couple other pieces away* still... that's better than some I've seen ^-^
    Awdz] okies, any suggestions for addressing the awkward landing issue?
    Awdz] *makes notes in her tinkering journal about the demonstration*
    Awdz] no? okies, i'll look at it more later
    Lantua] *Scratches his chin thoughtfully*
    Kytitia] well... yes... actually, I noticed that the ones on your legs were a bit too long, so they interfered with the landing, however, perhaps a little shorter with a few extensions, backways instead of down would help
    Awdz] hmm... backwards deflection of the foot propellers... interesting notion...
    Awdz] *makes copious notes on the suggestion*
    Kytitia] something like that ^-^
    Awdz] *finishes making notes and lays her journal aside* okies, the next gadget i have to display is a hands-free underwater breathing device, HUBD for short
    Kytitia] oh... that one sounds a bit more dangerous
    Awdz] *shows [<!--LI 8432625 10069560>A coil of rubber tubing<!--/LI>] with apparent rings in it ever few inches, on end with straps attached and the other tied to a [<!--LI 8432625 9784256>Cedar Treantwood Totem<!--/LI>]*
    Lantua] Maybe I should stand in the water... just incase? to pull you up?
    Kytitia] good idea...
    Awdz] i tried just breathing through the tubing but it collapsed, so i reinforced it by cramming brass rings all down the length of it
    Awdz] took me a couple of weeks to work them all in there
    Awdz] then, to keep it at my mouth without holding it in my hand, i have these straps to tie it to my head
    Kytitia] sounds like a painstaking task...
    Kytitia] installing the rings I mean
    Awdz] and to keep the other end at the surface, i tied it to the decorative float
    Kytitia] is that what that totem is? the float?
    Awdz] oh it was, first i had to make all those rings and then work them down the length of the tubing
    Awdz] oh yes, wood does that
    Awdz] *nods in satisfaction*
    Kytitia] well, yes... but wouldn't it get water-logged too?
    Awdz] i realized i wanted a HUBD while fishing
    Awdz] not really, it stays near the surface even when wet, it's neat that way
    Kytitia] *nods, looking curious, but since when is a Saris NOT curious* do go on!
    Awdz] okies, here goes.... *ties the end of the tubing to her head, sticks the end of it in her mouth, and talks through the tubing*
    Awdz] ahb gon in nuh
    Kytitia] what?
    Awdz] *wades into the water*
    Lantua] *Trots after the Awdz*
    Awdz] *the tubing uncoils behind her as she goes deeper into the lake, until the [<!--LI 8432625 9784256>Cedar Treantwood Totem<!--/LI>] is dragged in and floats, just barely keeping the open end of the tubing above the surface*
    Awdz] *waves from lantua start lapping up over the edge of the tubing*
    Kytitia]
    Awdz] *about the same time, goes too deep for length of tubing and the end submerges completely*
    Awdz] *thrashing water and bubbles surface*
    Awdz] *drowns*
    PrestigeSky] *ack*
    Lantua] *Reaches a paw in and scoops Awdz up*
    Kytitia] um....
    Awdz] *water drains out of the tubing*
    Awdz] *world is spinning so recalls*
    Kytitia] *watches the gnome poof away*
    Awdz] *returns to port pad at spire's shadow soaking wet and with device untied but in her arms*
    Lantua] *blinks and ducks his head* Wasnt fast enough it seems...
    Kytitia] I don't think... there's any modifications that could help that device.... >.>
    Awdz] wowsers, i need a depth gauge so i know when to stop going deeper
    Awdz] *happily* but the rings really did work to keep the tubing open! *smiles broadly*
    Awdz] any other suggestions or comments on this one?
    Lantua] *Grins and chuckles wading out of the water*
    Kytitia] *giggles* the small things count
    Awdz] ummm... lantua, can i trouble you for a refreshing breeze to help me dry off?
    Kytitia] hm.. not too sure there... but um... maybe affixing it higher on the float? would keep it more out of the water? other than that... um... don't think there's much to adjust
    Awdz] oh good idea! *starts making notes, not noticing that her wet sleeve is making ink on earlier pages run*
    Awdz] *finishes up the notes and turns to an [<!--LI 8432625 11567996>Imperial Urn<!--/LI>] with harness straps and [<!--LI 8432625 10069560>Another coil of rubber tubing<!--/LI>] in it*
    Kytitia] um... Awdz... *points to a mark that she sees running and blurring*
    Awdz] yes kytitia? do you see a volunteer dragon to demonstrate this one?
    Kytitia] uh... yes! *points to Lantua*
    Lantua] *blinks*
    Awdz] it's an in-flight dragon drink server! the harness holds the urn on the dragon's back and the tubing works like a straw
    Lantua] *looks thoughtful*
    Awdz] *scrambles to tie the urn onto lantua's back like a back pack*
    PrestigeSky] *snickers at Lantua*
    Awdz] okies, sit up while i fill the urn
    Lantua] *Leans back allowing the urn to sit upright*
    Awdz] *runs [<!--LI 8432625 11214406>Socketed Yew Bucket<!--/LI>] back and forth from the lake to the urn, filling it mostly with water, a few fish and weeds in there as well*
    Awdz] *makes sure one end of the tubing is secured in the urn, and brings the other end as close as she can to lantua's snout* aww crumblies, the tubing is a little short... well, no worries, you can just bend your neck down to take sips
    Awdz] okies lantua, take off and take a drink mid-flight!
    Lantua] *Leans forward into a crouch water, fish, and weeds sloshing onto his back* errr.
    Awdz] *watches to see how the first ever test of the device goes*
    Awdz] oh! drink quickly!
    Kytitia] *giggles as the fish, weeds, and water sloshes over him*
    Lantua] *cranes his neck trying to reach the end of hte tubbing*
    Awdz] come on, before it's all sloshed out! move!
    Awdz] *hops up and down frantically*
    Awdz] *sighs in noting the urn is just about empty*
    Lantua] *finaly manages to snag the tube and takes a quick sip, lodging a fish in the tubbing*
    Awdz] no no lantua, drink the liquid!
    Lantua] mf norm wrmif!
    Awdz] aww crumblies...
    Lantua] *takes a deep breath and blows the fish and the rest of the water out*
    Awdz] *starts making notes in her journal*
    Kytitia] GAH!! *folds her paws over to shield herself from the splashing water* HEY!
    Kytitia] ooh! fish! *KERPOUNCE!!*
    Lantua] *drobs the tubing and chuckles*
    Awdz] let's see... no chunkies in the drink
    Lantua] *nods* and a lid*
    Awdz] or get a dragon who knows how to drink through tubing
    Awdz] ooh! a lid! great idea! *writes profusely*
    Kytitia] *happily gnaws on a fish, having forgotten to offer suggestions*
    Lantua] Maybe different sized tubes for adult, ancient and hatchling?
    Awdz] large, super large, and ultra super large?
    Awdz] *scribbles more*
    Lantua] More like long, very long, and super long *nods*
    Awdz] definitely need something longer and i wonder if i can get it wider too?
    Lantua] hard to reach it when its to short and floping around.
    Awdz] though some say it's not how long it is, it's how you handle it
    Kytitia] *tosses aside a few fish bones, some of which happen to land on the notepad* tasty!
    Awdz] anyway, i've got some good ideas for the next version of it
    Awdz] did anyone else have something to present, or should i bring out a couple of older devices to talk about?
    Kytitia] hmmm? oh! um... something to keep it from flopping around as the dragon drinks? the tube that is?
    Awdz] ah! neck ties going up the dragon tubing, i like that
    Awdz] *scrawls a bit more*
    Kytitia] *gnaws on another fish*
    Awdz] well i don't hear anyone stepping forward, so i'll show a couple that i've used successfully
    Awdz] someone was having a bit of a blue day, feeling sad
    Kytitia] *finishes said fish and tosses aside the bones* hmm?
    Awdz] to improve their outlook, i made these *holds up a pair of spectacles*
    Kytitia] O-o what would that do?
    Lantua] *raises an eye ridge*
    Awdz] the rims are pretty standard, but i used rose quartz for the lenses
    Awdz] so then they could look at the world through rose-colored glasses
    Awdz] it countered their blue feelings and they were happier with life
    Lantua] *chuckles*
    Awdz] *passes around the spectacles for folks to try on*
    Awdz] while you're testing that, i'll get stuff for the final apparatus ready
    Kytitia] wouldn't that make it harder to identify some things? *she tries them on and looks at a couple outcroppings of gems... one a ruby and the other a lapis*
    Lantua] mmm.. I suppose it should be used as a temporary thing.. enough to lift the mood then taken off when no-longer..blue.
    Kytitia] but what if someone is like... in a depression and wants to wear them longer? *she removes them and offers them to the drake*
    Awdz] *pulls our [Magical Mithril Wire],<!--/LI> [<!--LI 8432625 11214406>Sturdy Yew Bucket<!--/LI>] and [<!--LI 8432625 11785725>Lone Wolf Hide<!--/LI>]*
    Awdz] *stretches the hide across the open part of the bucket, uses the bucket handle to pinch down one side of the hide and her arm to pin down the rest*
    Lantua] *carefuly hold the glasses between his claw and squints an eye trying to peer thru the lenses*
    Lantua] *tilts his head and peers at Kytitia and chuckles*
    Awdz] *deftly uses the [<!--LI 8432625 12190619>Magical Mithril Wire<!--/LI>] to wind around the hide just below the rim of the bucket, securing it in place*
    Kytitia] *blinks and looks to Lantua* what? *but she's also watching Awdz out of one eye* and what is that for?
    Awdz] *brings out [<!--LI 8432625 11210464>Festival Fireworks (large)<!--/LI>], takes one in either hand, and taps the hide producing a mellow beat*
    Awdz] this is a drum for festivals! it's really showy when you light the drumsticks :-)
    Kytitia] ooh! sounds pretty!
    Lantua] *passes the glasses on*
    Awdz] *lights the fireworks and beats on the drum with them as the fireworks start to explode, causing very rapid drumbeats and scorching the hide in the process*
    Awdz] *gets caught in the big booms and knocked unconscious in the middle of the bright light show*
    Kytitia] :O AWDZ!! you'll blow up your hands! *blinks as she's knocked unconscious* er... or that... >.>
    Awdz] *bucket catches fire*
    Lantua] *Chuckles, then frowns as Awdz is knocked unconscious*
    Lantua] *Uses breath of Ice to put out the fire*
    Kytitia] *pads over on all fours to stop next to Awdz and poke-pokes her with a finger* hello?
    Awdz] *slowly comes to* aww crumblies, i forgot how to hold those when i do that... at least my [<!--LI 8432625 11685284>Bloody Reinforced Gloves<!--/LI>] kept my hands safe
    Awdz] *looks up at kytitia* would you like to try it?
    Kytitia] um... no thanks... I like my fur unsinged...
    Lantua] *Chuckles*
    Awdz] pfft, where's the fun in hiding from the excitement?
    Kytitia] *huffs* when you have a lovely fur coat to keep all nice and pretty, that's where
    Awdz] but singeing would add character
    Kytitia] no thanks... I've been Scorched enough by Fafnir... -_-;
    Awdz] oh well that's true enough... anyway, that's all the contraptions i brought for today
    Awdz] does anyone have anything more to play with?
    Kytitia] *blinks* we aren't gnomes... >.> uh... but we enjoyed the show! ^-^ and hope you got some good ideas!
    Awdz] well anyone can present a device, not just gnomes
    Awdz] and i did get some excellent suggestions, thank you so much!
    Kytitia] happy to help ^-^ *rubs the back of her neck* well... I've not really studied Tinkering... so... I've not really tried to create anything
    Awdz] oh don't let that stop you from trying things! it was years before i every had a confectioner lesson and yet i was cooking guild roasts and cakes and such all along - and everyone finds my cooking amazing :-)
    Awdz] *smiles proudly*
    Kytitia] well then... you are quite the talented gnome ^-^
    Awdz] i'm gifted :-)
    Kytitia] guess that fits it too *nods*
    Awdz] *gathers up the debris and her water-stained notes* thank you everyone for coming today!
    PrestigeSky] *daydreams of awdz' cooking*grins
    Kytitia] thank you for showing us such wonderful contraptions ^-^
    PrestigeSky] Thankies awdz
    Awdz] *curtsies somehow with her arms full* it was my pleasure!
    Lantua] *nods*
    Kytitia] need a paw carrying all that? O-o
    Awdz] i think i have it *drops parts here and there in a trail behind her as she scampers off*

Default Re: Gifteds Tinkering Convention

I wanted and planned to attend but lost track of time and missed it.

Glad to hear it went well.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Thread Information