Thread: Returning... Er, New... Er, I'm Here!

Default Returning... Er, New... Er, I'm Here!

Greetings to all!

I'm returning to the world of Istaria... but it's been so long that you might as well call me new! I played originally on the Twilight server, not too long after release. For one reason or another (probably financial) I ended up leaving the game. I didn't get very far with my characters (Level 17 Dragon) and being shy, I didn't get a chance to meet many people in the game... so I doubt anyone knows me. But that's okay. It's why I'm here to say hello now.

I just rediscovered Istaria not long ago (though I have been checking back in on it now and then over the years) and was thrilled to see not only new content but compatibility for Vista and Windows7. Running a Vista machine myself, this encouraged me to re-sub and check out what's new. So here I am... completely lost, but remembering why I loved playing my Dragon!

There's so many quests I'm discovering with lots of great lore and backstory to them. I'm really impressed by the depth of the world and the quality of the quest text. And everyone has been very kind to the newcomer whenever I dared pipe up in a chat channel.

What I remembered most about this game (besides the Dragons) was the love that the players had for their world. I see that hasn't faded... and has, perhaps, helped the new developers sustain Istaria with hope for the future.

I really want to help support Istaria any way that I can. I'm a webcomic artist (though not the most popular on the net, by far) as well as a blogger who knows a bit about networking in the blogosphere. My work is geared towards fantasy, art, gaming and writing... and I really want to use these tools to do what I can to spread the word about Istaria to an audience that I hope would be receptive.

I'd like to write series of blog posts from a returning/newcomer's point of view in hopes to funnel some interest/web traffic towards the Istaria site. I think that there would be a lot of people interested in trying the game out should they just have the chance to learn about it! And there are many questions that I have as a stumbling newcomer that might do some good to document in a blog.

Okay. So the intro novel is over with. I'm here -- and you're probably wondering how to send me back!

Take care and see you in Istaria! Look me up anytime -- my Dragons/servers are in my signature. (Though chances are, I'll be asking more questions of YOU than the other way around!)

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Returning... Er, New... Er, I'm Here!

most welcome home, ayw!!! i am always happy to see an old player return!

i, too, am trying to get into the spreading the word program and have turned my mostly useless blog into a vehicle for getting other peeps into horizons.
    if i understand you correctly (which i prolly am not), here is my blog for inclusion into your webcircle......
    http://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

may i presume correctly that your blog is linked in your siggie? i would be very pleased to follow it!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thank you for the welcome, Velveeta! You have a neat blog -- do you mind if I link it and post a plug for it? You certainly have more Istaria related content than I do!

Yes, my blog is linked in my signature -- I just didn't think it was right to plug my own sites on my very first post! If you'd like to follow it, the blog part is at this address:

http://www.riftblog.com/

While the comic part is at this address:

http://www.wayrift.com/

Like I said, one of my goals is to write a personalized Newcomer's Experience type series in my blog. So any tips or thoughts on what would be useful to someone who is new would be a huge help! I have a few ideas for the first posts, but people who have actually been playing the game for a long time would definitely have more to share.

I know there's a great Wiki, too, which I've been happily making use of. I don't think I'd ever be as informational as that... just more of a casual walkthrough for a newcomer. All I have written currently is just the main landing page, but I hope to be typing out some how-to articles soon!

Thanks again for the welcome!

*serves aywren some delicious klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    welcome home!

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    *serves aywren some delicious klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    welcome home!
    *happily accepts both with a bow*

Thank you very much! I will have to guess that klava is a drink of somesuch? I am curious as to its origins!

<roleplayed on order shard>
    klava is a gnomish term for your favorite wake up drink. the actual contents are specific to each individual. me da invented the klava maker which when focused on someone "reads" them and then makes the perfect drink for them. i always serve the klava with a towel and a curtsy just as me da taught me to. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    <roleplayed on order shard>
    klava is a gnomish term for your favorite wake up drink. the actual contents are specific to each individual. me da invented the klava maker which when focused on someone "reads" them and then makes the perfect drink for them. i always serve the klava with a towel and a curtsy just as me da taught me to. :-)
    Ah -- I see! No wonder it tasted delicious! Thank you very much!

(Mmm... ice cold Diet Coke... )

welcome home! love to see returning players. i am also on the chaos shard feel free to send /tell agua to me any time

Thank you Agua! Kudako, my hatchie on Chaos, is currently level 18... so I'm a little lost as to where to go to find the proper level quests since I haven't played him in so long. Been searching the wiki and that's been a big help. I'm open to suggestions, though!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

have you talked to geri-somesuch on top of the vault in kion? he gives hatchies their starting quests and gets you introduced to the other draggy trainers, located in dralk and chiconis.....
    i suggest you start there and do your quests, both crafting and advent....don't forget about the hatchie only quests and do them before you rop......those scales are nothing to turn up your snout at!

don't forget to ask for help if you need it - most elder players are happy to assist ingame, and you will always get an answer of some sort on the forums......

o and take the south tazoon port and run across the bridge to find jerenyx for your dimensional pocket quests - you will want to do those as soon as you can for the extra inventory room......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions! I believe I did finish up some of the level 10 quests for Kudako, but it was so long ago that I probably need to go and double check if I got them all!

I'll definately check out the hatchie-only quests, too! Thanks so much!

Gerix! On top of the vault in Kion.

Mwuhahahahaaaaa!!!

Mwuhahahahhaaaa!!!

Mwuhahahahaaaaa!!!

*passes out*
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    Gerix! On top of the vault in Kion.

Mwuhahahahaaaaa!!!

Mwuhahahahhaaaa!!!

Mwuhahahahaaaaa!!!

*passes out*
    *fans Veruliyam* You doing alright?

No.

I'm one of the really, really Gifted.

Heheh.

And, Mostly Harmless...

Or, so it's been said.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    No.

I'm one of the really, really Gifted.

Heheh.

And, Mostly Harmless...

Or, so it's been said.
    Hahaha... that puts "Gifted" in a whole new light for me. Good to meet you!

nice blogs. Writing very well

Quote Originally Posted by avguste View Post
    nice blogs. Writing very well
    Thank you very much!

Thread Information