Thread: Newcomer's Guide to Istaria

Lightbulb Newcomer's Guide to Istaria

I'm writing a series of posts in my personal blog to detail little things that I feel would benefit a beginner to Istaria. These things are very basic, but hopefully helpful for a newcomer to know -- things that most long-time players could probably do in their sleep!

I've taken it from the point of view of a returning player who has forgotten nearly everything about settings and controls... and will be gathering these little tips into one series of short how-tos. It's basically a list of "I wish I had known how to do this before I spent 15 minutes of my life fudging it up to figure it out!"

So without further ado, I present the guide. It's short as of now, but I have a lot of post topics rolling around in my head to write in the future.

As you may notice, the list of Istaria community links I asked for in a previous post is to the right -- thanks to everyone who added to the list! I welcome other sites if there are some to add.

Also, I write these posts as a novice to the game. If a more experienced player has a correction, easier way to do something, or just input to give, please feel free to leave a comment on the blog post and I'll address anything that may offer concern.

Thanks for reading! I'll be posting updates to this thread as this section develops.

Default Re: Newcomer's Guide to Istaria

Looks good Aywren, very useful information for newcomers to Istaria

I'd suggest checking the guides on Chasing's Crimson Dawn site as well, plenty of useful info there to link to.
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by StalePopcorn View Post
    Looks good Aywren, very useful information for newcomers to Istaria

I'd suggest checking the guides on Chasing's Crimson Dawn site as well, plenty of useful info there to link to.
    Thank you very much for the link! These guides are very helpful! I'm going to read through them right now.

Two small updates to the guide! I wanted to change things in my original post, but I guess I can't go back and edit after so long. Ah well.

New articles:

great job Aywren- much appreciated!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thank you very much! This is sort of a list of very very basic stuff at the moment -- so if anyone has other thoughts on topics that you think would be useful for a newcomer to know, I'm all for suggestions!

When I started my first hatchie (who is now a mightly lvl 33!) I was confused over what scales and claws to get. Not sure if that is something that has already been done in Chasing's draggie adventure guide, but perhaps good for newbies?

When I started my first hatchie (who is now a mightly lvl 33!) I was confused over what scales and claws to get. Not sure if that is something that has already been done in Chasing's draggie adventure guide, but perhaps good for newbies?
    Hahah... well my hatchie is a mighty level 23! So you've got some experience on me there.

This is a very good idea -- I'm looking into writing an in-depth, pictorial guide to life as a Dragon in Istaria (including dragon scales and claws). This is really what I'm eventually hoping to work myself up into -- once I get a better feel for the game. I don't want to be the blind leading the blind, afterall.

So I'll need to do some research and get some experience underwing. I'm also holding off a bit to see how the world is going to change with the new T2 revamp being developed. It's not good to start writing a guide that will be outdated shortly!

Thank you for the suggestion -- I'd best start researching Dragon scales and claws. If someone has resources to point me to to help with this, that would be fantastic.

And, of course, anything that I write that you feel overlaps and would help out the wiki, just let me know. I'm going to try to keep the wiki updated and expand it whenever I see changes -- I use it all the time as a guide. I'm happy to share!

Chasing's Crimson Dawn site has the Dragon Adventure guide, can't go far wrong using this as a reference point. I haven't read through all of it, but there is quite probably info about claws and scales there.

After finally completing my RoP, I have a lot of dragon guides floating around in my head. I was one that waited until level 50 to earn the Simulated Scales before becoming adult, though it took a bit of searching to understand what these scales were, where the quest began (last time I had visited Vladtmordt, was 25 levels and weeks before!).

It seems there are many new hatchlings that aren't aware of this quest and the benefits of the scale. So I put together a quick guide on getting started, with accented maps!

http://www.riftblog.com/istaria-earn...mulated-scales

**Note that the maps I make for my site, I am uploading to the Wiki to use as well.

Thank you for bringing in the the simulated scales again, Aywren.

Most of the hatchies never heard about it.
    Even I forgot about it*blush*
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Nice work Aywren, the maps look great

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Thank you for bringing in the the simulated scales again, Aywren.

Most of the hatchies never heard about it.
    Even I forgot about it*blush*
    I'm honestly not even sure where I heard about it. I think it was just a passing thing that said "if you wait till 50 to become an adult then...". It took me time and searching to understand what that benefit was, so I thought it was worth putting together a guide.

Nice work Aywren, the maps look great
    Thank you! I hope to make one for each of the dragon trainers. There are so many, between two cities, that are required for a hatchling to visit just to get basic skills... and I know I still get turned around even with the map pack and other guides to help me.

I'll keep working on them as time permits.

Thread Information