Thread: Maps, Directions, Arrows?

Question Maps, Directions, Arrows?

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before -- I did a short search and didn't find it. I also don't know if this is do-able, but I thought I'd bring it up.

I know we have a compass to help us with in game directions... but as a newer player, I'm constantly getting turned around. I find where I want to go on the map, but end up running in the wrong direction multiple times as I work to figure out exactly which way I need to go. I'm usually pretty good about memorizing places in games, but even going on two weeks of playing nearly every night to re accustom myself, I still find myself running off in directions I don't mean to.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by other games I've played when I ask this. But is there any possible way to change the white dot graphic on the player map to be more of an arrow -- one that rotates with your character so that you have a better idea of which way you are facing? I think this would be a huge help for newcomers who are trying to find their way across such a big, new game world!

Again, I know that's what the compass is supposed to be for. But I'm still finding myself turned around in circles, wishing for an arrow on the map to help out.

An example of this is here... *ducks* yes... from another game. But it's just meant to show what I'm trying to describe. I know I have a way of getting lost in my own words!

Thanks for listening!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: Maps, Directions, Arrows?

eeekkkkkkkkkk!!!! not the dreaded unmarkable wow map!!!

seriously, tho, ayw, it gets easier - just learn to move your compass around to the part of the screen where you can't help but see it.

i WOULD NOT appreciate or approve of a wow-style map in istaria, and i must tell you, wow's map was the deal breaker for me. maybe i had played with horizons map for so long, but i hate(d) it and just can't bring myself to play wow anymore due in large part to my map problems......

childish and petty, i know, but there you are.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I think what Aywren is asking for is simply a new marker for our existing map, that is triangular or arrow shaped so that one can easily reference, on the map, which direction you are pointed in.

I have no idea what the execution for such a thing would be, but I agree it'd be a welcome change.

Big crunchy ancient dragoness of Order

I'm pretty sure that I'm right and that comes from LoTRO, not WoW.

However, I have to chuckle because I find myself getting "turned around" much more in LoTRO than I ever have with Istaria's cardinal directions. For example I quite literally can not get in my head the fact that Lonelands is west of Trollshaws (and yes, I honestly did have to picture a world map and THINK through the cardinal direction as I typed that), and that to get from there to Bree I have to go west. And that's after having leveled multiple characters through those areas.

On the flip side, ask me where Dalimond is compared to Chiconis, and I can quite easily tell you that you have to travel north-west without even having to think about it.

I'm not saying that an arrow wouldn't help some people, btw, with becoming better oriented in Istaria. Just that in my own personal experience, I like the N/S and W/E of the Istaria compass for getting pointed in the right direction. It's interesting to me how different people learn, is all.

No clue if what is being asked for is even technically feasible as things are right now, just making an observation.

Yep, Nambroth hit the nail on the head. I wouldn't ask to change a thing about the functionality or style of the existing map -- I think it's one of the more functional maps I've used over many other games. Especially when adding the map pack!

Velea is correct -- that is Lord of the Rings Online, not WoW. I didn't spend much time in WoW and don't even recall their map system, to be honest. But I do have a lifetime account in LOTRO, and that was the closest thing I could think of to show what I was trying to describe! Don't worry, Velveeta! I've not strayed to the "dark side." J/K! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    However, I have to chuckle because I find myself getting "turned around" much more in LoTRO than I ever have with Istaria's cardinal directions. For example I quite literally can not get in my head the fact that Lonelands is west of Trollshaws (and yes, I honestly did have to picture a world map and THINK through the cardinal direction as I typed that), and that to get from there to Bree I have to go west. And that's after having leveled multiple characters through those areas.

On the flip side, ask me where Dalimond is compared to Chiconis, and I can quite easily tell you that you have to travel north-west without even having to think about it.

I'm not saying that an arrow wouldn't help some people, btw, with becoming better oriented in Istaria. Just that in my own personal experience, I like the N/S and W/E of the Istaria compass for getting pointed in the right direction. It's interesting to me how different people learn, is all.

No clue if what is being asked for is even technically feasible as things are right now, just making an observation.
    I sometimes have this issue with LOTRO -- most of it is in smaller areas such as figuring out where Combe is located (North? South? East? West?) compared to Bree and such. But the actual zones, I have a fairly good idea of the cardinal directions. Then again, I've run up and down those maps for many years!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have very good directional sense in Istaria. Maybe my skills have been dumbed down due to following arrows and glowy pointy things that show you where your quest objectives are in the newer games. I don't remember having the "getting turned around" issue when I first played Horizons.... So I could just be losing my edge with old age. *laugh*

It could also be that I just don't yet have a grasp on where things are in the world, too, and it will take getting used to. I can do that, it's not life or death. Anyone have a good map for me to print?

I still thought I'd offer up the suggestion for thought! Thanks for considering!

Great idea for new players. We "elder" players that have been on for years have pretty much memorised the map - after all, general locations of cities/areas have barely been adjusted since launch (aside from communities being added). The compass is helpful, but I must admit I still get "turned around" in towns when trying to navigate somewhere, like Dralk or Chiconis. I always head the wrong way when trying to locate a resource spawn.

*if* it was possible, having a directional arrow on the map would be incredibly useful, particularly IMHO for new players. Anything that helps the sudden flood of new Istarians is "a good thing"
    Want to know more? Visit the Istaria Wiki!

Crazy idea here, perhaps add an objective marker that is placeable on map that adds a direction marker on the compass?

Like, say you want to get from Dralk to the Obsidian golem spawn, you place the marker there and a little arrow appears on the compass to point you in the right direction. May not be feasible but just throwing it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaze View Post
    Crazy idea here, perhaps add an objective marker that is placeable on map that adds a direction marker on the compass?

Like, say you want to get from Dralk to the Obsidian golem spawn, you place the marker there and a little arrow appears on the compass to point you in the right direction. May not be feasible but just throwing it out there.
    I don't know if that would be possible, but it would be fantastic. Especially since it's optional -- those who choose to have a little more help can do so. Those who don't need it, don't have to use it.

So all you are really asking for is that the players dot on the existing map is instead an arrow, which is pointing in the dircetion the user is facing?

Sounds pretty simple. Not sure if it would be simple to do. But if it is simple to implement, I can't see any reason why not. When you are in a group, there are green dots on the map as well, for each groupmember. Not sure how that would factor in.

I wouldn't mind an altitude readout and a speed readout on the compass myself. Which should be VERY simple since the data is already there in game from a printpos. well the altitude is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    So all you are really asking for is that the players dot on the existing map is instead an arrow, which is pointing in the dircetion the user is facing?

Sounds pretty simple. Not sure if it would be simple to do. But if it is simple to implement, I can't see any reason why not. When you are in a group, there are green dots on the map as well, for each groupmember. Not sure how that would factor in.
    Yep, that's the essence of my suggestion. Group member icons wouldn't need to change since it's not so important to know what direction they're facing, I'd think. It's just something small to give an indication of what direction you're facing in relation to things that appear on your map. For me, that's easier than turning around and around using the compass indicator -- the map itself would be a compass (although a square one) with your user icon like the compass arrow to point the direction.

I support this suggestion. Turn the player dot on the map into an arrow; leave the group member and NPC dots as they are.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

The arrow is a good idea, that you know where are you actually looking, well you can that easy figure out with looking at the compass, but some people seem still to have problems with that.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Coming soon (tm)

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    Coming soon (tm)
    Awww... you're getting my hopes up!

Yup. He speaks correctly. Attached is one of the direction icons to match the themes. Of course, it'll be shrunk down when on the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As far as the "Dreaded WoW Map", you DO know that WoW has ANOTHER map, too, right?

You have the map that appears in your UI full-time, called the "Mini Map" that shows just your immediate surroundings, AND, you get a Map that you can bring up with the "M" key (just like Istaria's!).

The only difference is, is that you can't mark it (but maybe an addon can let you do that?) like you can Istaria's.

I posted an idea to give us both maps here in Istaria. Don't like a Mini-map? Then don't open it, and continue using the full-size one.

If the Map is the only thing stopping you from playing WoW, try looking up addons, I bet there's one that lets you put your own map markers on the main map (the one you bring up with the M key).

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Yup. He speaks correctly. Attached is one of the direction icons to match the themes. Of course, it'll be shrunk down when on the map.
    What? Really?? Fantastic! Who do I need to hug for this?

PS - the little Dragon icon is FAR cooler than a standard arrow - above my greatest hopes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

yeah i have to admit that i might not be so totally anti to a dragon pointer - that would be def not world of warcrack......
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

those guys rule!!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Very good to not only hear but see that this feature is coming.

I have a small suggestion, though: half-fold the wings so that the dragon forms a more arrow-like shape?
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Thread Information