Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon games

Default Dragon games

Despite the creatures being so awe inspiring and epic, it sounds incredible but there are very few games where there are "credible" dragons and those where you can play one are an handful.

I'd like to make a compilation here, if anyone got others please don't refrain posting them!

From the oldest:

- RetroMUD: it's a MUD, that is an ancient text based game (still active at retromud.org). Ironically, not a single game I played after it could compare with its depth and challenge. You can (among dozens of other races) play dragons of different sizes and colors, where colors are tied to aligment and magic powers (and weaknesses).

- Drakan: Order Of The Flame: single player game. Ancient but still possibly one of the few games where you can fly and combat with a dragon. Was also quite long to complete, thus providing for many hours of enjoyment. Unlike the above, you are not the dragon (a most rare thing even among the rare "dragon games") but are just playing *with* a dragon.

- The I of the Dragon: another single player game where you could play one of 3 dragons and blow stuff.

- Dragonriders of Pern. An odd game, more centered on finding out about stuff than fighting. Dragons are more cameo appearances than usable though.

- Horizons: Empire Of Istaria. The MMO I love and hate the most. Love, because it's one, unique, the only MMO with playable dragons. The one I still pay 3 subs since years just to support its continued existance, because it's a good thing to exist. Hate, because I can't play it any more, something just makes me log off after some hours of playing it again. And I cannot understand what this something is.

- Neverwinter Nights: you can specialize into a magic tree that enables a spell that allows you to morph in a red dragon (the one color I like to play) and headbutt everything before your feet out of existance.

- Eragon: game released along with the merchandise that came with the movie. Nothing to expecially recall about it but the canned-yet-quite fun aerial fights on the dragoness, expecially the more interactive ones about destroying enemy sieges.

- Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (http://www.divinity2.com/) the new game released few days ago where you start as sworn dragon slayer but at a certain point you are "forcibly gifted" the fact you become one of them.

Now, considering I am playing videogames since well before 1980, there's not a lot of dragon games (as in you are or "use" one).

Now, consider those where you *are* a dragon and the list becomes just 4 titles. Of them, only two really make you live the good and the bad of being one. One is a 1994 text game, one is a 2003 MMO.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Default Re: Dragon games

You've got just about all of the ones I'm aware of except Dragon Rage and Drakengard (though this one is iffy), both of which were PS2 console games. There's Drakan: The Ancient Gates too, which was also PS2. I don't know if that was a console remake / rename of Order of the Flame or its own game, however.

I've had Dragon Rage in the back of my game shelf for ages - I've never been able to get myself to complete it, but I can't get rid of it either. It's a similar game style to I of the Dragon, though some of the controls are a touch wonky. I'll pull it out and finish 'er off someday . If I remember right, its plot was mostly centered around the dragon (you) getting revenge against the bipeds that were killing off your race. So, fairly typical.

I'm not sure Drakengard can be considered "credible", but your character does partner with a dragon and she is used fairly extensively throughout the game. The game length is disappointing (I think I beat it in 12 hours?), but the story does draw you in (even if it is a little ridiculous).

Wasn't Lair another game centered around using dragons as fierydeath airplanes? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I wish they'd make more with a dragon character.

There's Drakan: The Ancient Gates too, which was also PS2. I don't know if that was a console remake / rename of Order of the Flame or its own game, however
    That was a sort of sequel. Basically they took a game who had become a cult, worked very hard at dumbing it down and porting it on a platform with no Drakan supporters and proceeded to kill the game by not releasing a PC version, ever.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

The entire Spiro the Dragon line. Various consoles from what I recall.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

The 1st dragon world I ever played/joined was atl.fan.dragon, or the land of many names as it was fondly known. A newsgroup where I was born. Was a fantastic, crazy, extra friendly dragon community. Some of the players, ( in 1998 I think) created Alfandria a Muck version of the newsgroup. I believe it still exist somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    I am assuming you ment "Spyro". I loved that game, back when the original owners, Insomiac, were still developing it. After the first three orginial games though, the game has just taken a huge plummet....right into the toliet.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    I am assuming you ment "Spyro". I loved that game, back when the original owners, Insomiac, were still developing it. After the first three orginial games though, the game has just taken a huge plummet....right into the toliet.
    I totally agree... thenewest one where you can fly and stuff.. uuuugggghhhhh it's so horrible! *Sniffle* I miss the old ones I used to play on Playstation 1 and 2 hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerglassmire View Post
    If you like gimpy chibi "dragons".

Oh wait. There's a chibi dragon in my sig'. xD Well, as signature art it's fine but I'd never play one.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

theres a dragon game for nintendo DS, where you are the dragon,its a pretty fun and challenging game.

http://battleofgiantsgame.com

Actually the Ps2 has a crapload of dragon games, I need to fumble a few out of my closet quick:

Ps1 (omg): Dragonheart - ughh so horrible but I had to buy it for DRACOS sake XD (flying sequences are awesome but annoying lol)

Ps2:

Dragon Rage - My first ps2 dragon game. The graphic is a bit blah, but still enjoyable, and the gci sequences are nice.

Drakengard and Drakengard 2: Most epic dragon game on ps2, yes it even beats drakan. I just say one word Square Enix made both (the creators of Final Fantasy (FTW))

Regin of Fire - The game to the movie, a few may now yell omg that suckss so much probably. But it surprisingly doesn’t. It is the best movie rip of game I played, and yes you can play the wyvern there and burn, and eat and destroy and all that stuff xD

Eragon - Yes quite nice, but meh. Only the dragon sequences are actually fun. Hmm where did I put that game anyway...

Waterhorse, Legend of the deep - Movie rip-off, the movie was great but the game is just OMG HORRIBLE DX

Monster hunter - You hunt there prehistoric creatures and even dragons and wyverns, but the graphic is just kick *** and you piss your pants when a wyvern sees and wants to have you as snack.

Spyro, the eternal night - nice but childish, but still nice and funny xD

Spyro, Dawn of the dragon - Not childish, really not! Awesome graphic and combats, you can even play in co-op modus with 2 dragons DOUBLE FUN (seriously it is a heck of a fun with a friend!)(game is also available for ps3 for more in your face awesome graphic)

Wrath Unleashed - A kind of chess game where you summon monsters that fight active against other, yes even with awesome dragons to control.

Ps3:

Lair - Seriously look it up on youtube, the dragons are there awesome and very realistic. You are not a dragon, but you are a dragon rider, but the dragon you ride is not a stupid animal. They are very intelligent and know what to do Buy it NOW D:

PC (DUH):

Dragonfire - oooollld diablo like game, I brought it because I thought dragons was it, nope no dragon /FAIILLL

Drakan - Order of the flame: Love it, hate Vista and Windows 7 because i cant play it on them, but I still have my beloved XP YEESSS

Dragonfarm - A game where you are a dragon breeder, 7 species, well animated and very nice concept, BUT SO HORRIBLY BUGGED THAT YOU WANT TO CRY! IF it was not so bugged it would be a wonderful game

Para World - A strategic game where you have dinosaurs and prehistoric creatures to command. Yes no dragons but DINOOOOOS (remotely dragons yes?!?!?!) Awesome graphic and story.

I of the Dragon - Awesome game, love it, but XP hates it and the games just furbars after some time i try to play it, and still has much much bugs ughhh!

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis - No dragon, BUT DINOS, and Jurassic park ones, I love this game so much and love to watch my dinos eat people.... uhmmm ^^

Spore- You can make your own dragons there, play them, nuke planets, what do you want more?

Mage Knight Apocalypse - 3d Diablo style BUT with a playable dragon mage race, yes you are actually a real bipedal dragon with wings, tail and all that stuff! Go roast your enemies dragon style!

XBox or Xbox 360 (not sure)

Panzer Dragoon Ortha: You old farts know the original game on the pc, yes that is the sequel awesooooooommeeee crack stuffffff!

If you know other dragon games let me knooooooowwww do waaaannnnt
    Last edited by Takora Drakan; October 24th, 2009 at 02:35 AM.

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    Actually the Ps2 has a crapload of dragon games, I need to fumble a few out of my closet quick:

Ps1 (omg): Dragonheart - ughh so horrible but I had to buy it for DRACOS sake XD (flying sequences are awesome but annoying lol)
    The GameBoy version is decent. Not great, but pleasant.
    The PS1 version is just.... bad. But I had to do it too.

Drakengard and Drakengard 2: Most epic dragon game on ps2, yes it even beats drakan. I just say one word Square Enix made both (the creators of Final Fantasy (FTW))
    The 2nd opus fix many flaws of the first one. It's much better, but the story have been very softened: the first one is just blood, despair and sorrow from beginning to the end, the other one is much lighter.
    And the musics of the 2nd one... oh my god... I imported the OST from Japan to get them.

Drakan - Order of the flame: Love it, hate Vista and Windows 7 because i cant play it on them, but I still have my beloved XP YEESSS
    So much better than its sequel on PS2.

I of the Dragon - Awesome game, love it, but XP hates it and the games just furbars after some time i try to play it, and still has much much bugs ughhh!
    It works fine on Windows XP for me. I had a few crashes but nothing much different than other games; I could finish it without technical problem with the 3 Dragons. And bugs? Mmh... I don't remember to have been annoyed seriously by them.
    I haven't tried with Windows Seven... yet.

You can also find some playable Dragons in arcade games, even they are mostly shoot'em up. From the top of my head, here are some titles:
    - Dragon Spirit
    - Dragon Saber (sequel of the previous one)
    - Cyvern
    - Dimahoo serie (you can play a Samouraï dragon)
    - Dragon Breed (with a rider)
    - Gaïapolis/Entapous (Fantasy beat'em up where you can be a knight Dragon)
    - Black Heart (with a rider)
    - Syvalion
    - Dragon Blaze (with a rider)
    - Saint Dragon
    - Mutant Figther (wrestling game where you can be a Dragon)

Try MAME.
    Firebrandcrest Arma: Ancient Helian Dragon | Dragon 100 / Dragon Crafter 100 / Dragon Lairshaper 100 / Dragon Crystalshaper 100 (Order) | My MODs: Zexoin's and Firebrand's Sound Emotes Pack v2.5.4.0, Alternate Dragon Bolt Casting v1.4, Old Istarian Ambiance v1.0.8.

Ah, but you have to realize that Square Enix only published Drakengard. Cavia is the company responsible for the development of the game. =) I really didn't like how lighthearted the story became in the sequel (Nowe, you are an idiot. I hated him in the first ending of the game) and how they took out the level selector for story levels and made you play through the game multiple times to get the endings. The combat system (aerial and ground) was greatly improved though.

Hrm, I'll have to check out that Battle of Giants - Dragons game.

Other games:

The Legend of Dragoon is very dragon-centric, though most of it deals with humans transforming with dragon armor, and the dragons aren't very traditional looking. It was my first playstation RPG though. <3

Monster Rancher / Monster Farm series has dragons as raisable creatures, sadly they have some of the shortest lifespans of most monsters since they are so powerful.

Dragon Tamer: Sound Spirit for the DS deals with people who revive dragons using music/sounds and train them to battle. It's japanese-only and kind of fun to play, but I got bored of it after a while since I couldn't understand the story as I don't read Japanese.
    Last edited by Hrough; October 24th, 2009 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Phoenix View Post
    theres a dragon game for nintendo DS, where you are the dragon,its a pretty fun and challenging game.

http://battleofgiantsgame.com
    Aww it is not yet out in Europe, I hope it is there until christmas at least xD (at least my friggin amazon says that)

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

first, a bit of background....
    a long time ago in a galaxy far away, i was young - yes yes i know, hard to believe, but true! - and very interested in things that were, perhaps, beyond my years. but things were taken a little less seriously back in those days, and rules for access to certain materials was not a stringently applied as now (i speak for the usa, now, not any other culture). altho you may recognize the name 'national lampoon' from the movies, few born in the 80s may know that before the flicks there was the magazine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lampoon_magazine, published by the same peeps that brought us the original 'heavy metal' mag, also read by a too young princess [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Metal_(magazine) ]).
    i was helping my female parental unit clean the homestead attic and ran across boxes of old comix, magazines, and other assorted naughty bits of dead trees. including a stash of natlamp mags.
    been having much nostalgic fun reading them, and would not have mentioned it at all, except that i just opened the march 1983 issue and saw this:

how's this for a blast from the past?
    Last edited by velveeta; October 24th, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

What the heck was wrong with the PS2 Drakan?

I could never understand why people hate it so much.

At least its controls actually -worked-. I tried the PC Drakan quite a number of times, but try as I might, I could never get a working control set without having to redo the controls between the girl and the dragon multiple times before giving up in frustration. I'd get a working keybind set for the girl, then hop on the dragon, and... blah. Now I have to redo everything to get it to work.

PS2 Drakan also had that awesome LOCK-ON system, which was just pure awesomesauce. You still had your strafes for freeform combat, but the lock-on system took a lot of annoyance out of the controls over your game. The Lock-On system alone makes me like the PS2's version better, that and not having to re-do my keybinds every time I hop on, or off the dragon. Also, having some sort of enemy health indicator is nice too.

I think they should have re-released Drakan 1 with Drakan 2's targeting/movement engine... that would have been the best thing ever. Then maybe I could have seen the whole storyline, without all of the frustration and annoyance of constantly re-working my keybinds...

With that being said...

Dragon Rage was a bit ridiculous. Cool game, but I feel they jacked the challenge up so freaking high that there's no feasible way to actually complete some of the things it wants you to, without practicing and re-trying something 500 times until you memorize every inch of the map so you can do it *just right* and then hope, and pray you don't make any mistakes in attempting it. I got up to the part where it wants you to go grab a certain number of captured something-rathers (dragon eggs I think?) and they give you like... 30 seconds to fly to one clear across the map, free it, and then suddenly its "there's a dragon egg over there! get it!" and they give you 30 seconds to somehow know Exactly where it is, actually SEE it in the game world (the carts carrying them are really freaking small) and kill it before you run out of time... and this goes on and on, until you eventually run out of health or resources since you have no TIME to regenerate, and there's a million creatures in the area shooting crap at you.... bleeeh.

I'm sorry but that's not really fun. Great game in concept, but they went way overboard with it.

There were a few dragon games for older consoles too, I remember there being some sort of Lifeforce/Gradius clone where you flew a dragon instead of a space-ship, I forget the name of it. Just like the old Nintendo-style games, they jacked the challenge up to levels so high that you would never realistically pass beyond a couple areas without millions of hours of practice, though. As you get past the first few levels, there's just so much crap on the screen that you can't avoid it all.

With that being said, they do need to give us more dragon games. I'd also like to see a dragon game where you walk around as a biped dragon (with wings this time, please!), and you have armor, weapons, etc and you hack, slash, and burn people with your fire breath, etc. That'd be cool...

Aww it is not yet out in Europe, I hope it is there until christmas at least xD (at least my friggin amazon says that)
    sadly im having to wait until after the new year to get Divinity 2: Ego Draconis game

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    With that being said, they do need to give us more dragon games. I'd also like to see a dragon game where you walk around as a biped dragon (with wings this time, please!), and you have armor, weapons, etc and you hack, slash, and burn people with your fire breath, etc. That'd be cool...
    I alredy mentioned Mage Knight Apocalypse a few posts over yours, that is exactly what you do there. You can even trasnform to a full dragon at higher levels.

Here is also a little screshot to show how the dragon looks, but you can also play other classes like dwarf, amazon, warrior etc, classical stuff.

Kameo for the Xbox 360 ^^ It was one ofthe first games out on the console as I recall. You aren't a dragon exactly.. but you CAN turn into 10 creatures including this little guy here:

*Huggles and cuddles* (S)He's so cuuute! =3

PS1

Dragon Seeds

Not much to it but I had fun playing it. You go to a cloning lab, select a few choice words and it will generate an egg. The egg can be one of a few species that you will train to battle. Your "dragon" will grow as time goes on. I'm not doing it justice but there really isn't that much to it. I always thought the hatchlings were cute!

Order Shard - Atlanna Embergaze 100/100 Adult:
    A'Sasha Windrider - Member of Keir Chet k'Eilerten

Quote Originally Posted by A'Sasha View Post
    PS1

Dragon Seeds

Not much to it but I had fun playing it. You go to a cloning lab, select a few choice words and it will generate an egg. The egg can be one of a few species that you will train to battle. Your "dragon" will grow as time goes on. I'm not doing it justice but there really isn't that much to it. I always thought the hatchlings were cute!

That was a balst to play.<3

Thread Information