Thread: Spell Targeting.

Default Spell Targeting.

Currently, to cast a healing spell on yourself, you have to deselect whatever you're fighting, select yourself, cast the healing spell, and then re-select the mob.

Problem?

When you have LOTS of mobs around, and no "Cycle Target" function (we ONLY have "Select Nearest Enemy), it can be impossible to feasibly re-target the thing you _were_ fighting.

This can be a major problem if the multiple mobs are actually a threat to you, and you NEED to kill the one you had targeted, NOW, but can't because you can't re-target it. You can still auto-attack it, but all of those damage-dealing abilities and skills of yours can't be used until you re-target THAT mob.

This flaw has gotten me killed on my dragon countless times when I had to target myself and I had 3 or 4 mobs attacking me and I was trying to Instant Heal myself, and then I had to fumble around clicking mobs that kept standing ontop of each other to hurry up and grab that half-dead mob so I could gold rage/ravage/silver strike him the rest of the way to remove one of the mobs attacking me.

What I propose:

We already have the functionality in the game, for a spell to automatically cast on self. Spells like Breeze, Group Health, and others already do this.

Put an option in there somewhere, that says something like this:

If Non-Player is targeted when a Beneficial Spell is attempted, automatically cast spell on Self instead. Basically, anytime the game would normally return the "Invalid target for xxxxxx" error on a Beneficial Spell, the spell would instead be cast on the caster instead.

That way, we would never, ever have to de-select a target and fumble around clicking, praying we can re-acquire the same target again.

Default Re: Spell Targeting.

good Idea.
    If its not doable how about a "select current auto -attack target" button

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    good Idea.
    If its not doable how about a "select current auto -attack target" button
    That would accomplish the same thing too.

How about (if you're not in a group):
    /gi <your name>
    Accept the invitation.
    Now you can select yourself by pressing F1.

It sounds like the problem you're having arises out of an inability to re-select the mob you were attacking after you selected yourself (F9 does that, btw).

Two alternatives that might be more acceptable than adding another client option:

1) select last hostile target
    2) select attacker that last attempted to attack you (I think this is the 'select current auto-attack target' Ry was talking about)

Alternatively, if you wind up with the wrong mob selected, back up a bit. The mob you were just attacking will likely still have aggro on you and will soon be the nearest mob. This method also has the advantage of interrupting the mob's melee attacks, as it will have to stop and move to get back into attack range.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

wasn't /cne re-enabled a long time ago?

wasn't /cne re-enabled a long time ago?
    If it was, it doesn't show up in Hotkey Macros. I'll test it today. I thought the Lava Area BGM fix was in a long time ago along with the NT Music Bug, but.... it isn't. It somehow didn't make it to Live. So maybe /cne is in the same boat.

Alternatively, if you wind up with the wrong mob selected, back up a bit. The mob you were just attacking will likely still have aggro on you and will soon be the nearest mob. This method also has the advantage of interrupting the mob's melee attacks, as it will have to stop and move to get back into attack range.
    This doesn't help if you have 2 or more mobs attacking you at the same time, you have to keep running around, wasting precious time while trying to re-acquire the half-dead target, as mobs frequently stand ontop of each other while attacking you.

You end up doing a lot of moving around, and clicking before you get the target you want.

UPDATE:

/cne DOES work, but you cannot keybind it, nor can you include it in a hotkey macro.

Allowing us to keybind /cne would greatly reduce the inconvenience caused by this problem, and should be the easiest solution.

I thought the "f10" was the default key to select nearest enemy.
    It still doesn't let you re-select a target you are auto attacking if it is not the nearest enemy.

Oops I see you mean cycle next enemy

I am a Cycle Next Enemy addict in all games that I play, so it was one of the first things I did to figure out how to make that work in Istaria (I meant to write a tutorial about this!). It does work to bind it to one of your hotkey bars (I make it #1 on mine because it's a frequent masher button!).

Right click a blank hotkey slot, select Edit Hotkey and enter the following:

1- Add Action Type = Text Command
    2- In the box following that type /cycleNearestEnemy
    3- Hit the Plus sign to add the command
    4- Give it a name and icon if you wish and save to the hotbar.

This has been working for me for weeks!

I wish I could bind it to my Tab key (which is currently select nearest enemy for me), but at least having it in the hotbar for now it good enough for me.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Or somewhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Currently, to cast a healing spell on yourself, you have to deselect whatever you're fighting, select yourself, cast the healing spell, and then re-select the mob.

Problem?

When you have LOTS of mobs around, and no "Cycle Target" function (we ONLY have "Select Nearest Enemy), it can be impossible to feasibly re-target the thing you _were_ fighting.

This can be a major problem if the multiple mobs are actually a threat to you, and you NEED to kill the one you had targeted, NOW, but can't because you can't re-target it. You can still auto-attack it, but all of those damage-dealing abilities and skills of yours can't be used until you re-target THAT mob.

This flaw has gotten me killed on my dragon countless times when I had to target myself and I had 3 or 4 mobs attacking me and I was trying to Instant Heal myself, and then I had to fumble around clicking mobs that kept standing ontop of each other to hurry up and grab that half-dead mob so I could gold rage/ravage/silver strike him the rest of the way to remove one of the mobs attacking me.

What I propose:

We already have the functionality in the game, for a spell to automatically cast on self. Spells like Breeze, Group Health, and others already do this.

Put an option in there somewhere, that says something like this:

If Non-Player is targeted when a Beneficial Spell is attempted, automatically cast spell on Self instead. Basically, anytime the game would normally return the "Invalid target for xxxxxx" error on a Beneficial Spell, the spell would instead be cast on the caster instead.

That way, we would never, ever have to de-select a target and fumble around clicking, praying we can re-acquire the same target again.
    Elder and wise

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

A Fool I am and no doubt fool... but is this not but the battle heat? If there are many near, and time is short... then if wit cannot find the Foe most needing death and eye fails also... then is this not the nature of socuh conflicts? Or is there magery in claw and bolt, and ( for cure and certain it would needs be so) in each two leg blade and bow, that the weapon knows the last Foe struck?

The dance is, by nature, the dance. If there is error and fault, if there is toil and moil... still it be the dance. And if we die, as die I have no few times more than one, then we rise again, do we not? Rise, mayhap more learned in the dance and steps, rise angered, rise embarassed, rise still stung by death... but is this not also the dance?

If my eye or wit fails me... then it fails. If I fail... then I fail. And fail I do and oft, for I am but the least of warriors. But mayhap better for those failings than the few victories... or no.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
    Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
    A Fool that walks among the Wise

I am a Cycle Next Enemy addict in all games that I play, so it was one of the first things I did to figure out how to make that work in Istaria (I meant to write a tutorial about this!). It does work to bind it to one of your hotkey bars (I make it #1 on mine because it's a frequent masher button!).

Right click a blank hotkey slot, select Edit Hotkey and enter the following:
    *snip*

I suppose this can work time-being until they allow us to keybind /cne.

It will, however, use up one of my valuable hotkey slots. Hopefully the coding aspect of including a "Cycle Nearest Enemy" in the keybinds isn't hard to do, and we can have that included soon.

Until then, I suppose I will have to suffer the loss of a hotkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    *snip*

I suppose this can work time-being until they allow us to keybind /cne.

It will, however, use up one of my valuable hotkey slots. Hopefully the coding aspect of including a "Cycle Nearest Enemy" in the keybinds isn't hard to do, and we can have that included soon.

Until then, I suppose I will have to suffer the loss of a hotkey.
    I completely agree -- as I mentioned, I'd love to have this bindable to other keys -- I always have my /CNE set to Tab keys in other games. I wish I could free up the hotkey but I just don't see another way to do it right now.

Just thought I'd pass the info along, anyhow.

Thread Information