Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something fun to look forward to this spring

Default Re: Something fun to look forward to this spring

The movie didn't initially bother me. 2006 was long before I became particularily interested in dragons(may 2009 was when I finally did, but I was sorta interested since I was little and played spyro on playstation and later in 2007 when I became a monster hunter addict) and I had not read the book when I saw it. It didn't bother me but I found out via wikipedia that it really deviated from the story and I later noticed how little characterization was in the movie as well as the poorness of some of the acting.
    Living is the only revenge we Jedi can partake in. If the Empire fails to kill us all, we win. http://baishenlong.deviantart.com/

Peter Jackson should do a better movie, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Gah, I wish people wouldn't bash Eragon..

It really wasn't that bad... the aerial scenes were just awesome, especially that long aerial combat scene (and its conclusion!) was simply breathtakingly awesome.

Edit: OMG. I'm not usually one for Dreamworks stuff, but this..... yeah, okay, I'm going to have to see this now.
    I'll bash Eragon. If it was a standalone movie I would still dig into it for making another Star Wars and changing the main factions to suit a dragon fantasy setting. I appreciate that many many stories have a Star Wars type situation, but Star Wars itself was made on the same template (anyone used New Novelist?).

That said, those I've encountered who have seen it and not read the books, thought it was ok. My problem with it is that the script writers presumably watched Star Wars and said "Hey lets base Eragon on that and forget the depth of the book". The "just-add-water" dragon when Saphira grows up makes it near impossible to see the bond between them, that is so apparent in the book as he raises her. Again, short action film so things had to be cut ... but it would not have been impossible.

Technically the film looks fantastic, and generally it's acted ok. Saphira is great, within the limits imposed.

The film would have been much better, I feel, if Paolini had been more involved (Very involved a la Rowling and Harry Potter). I remember an email newsletter asking him what he thought of the film, and one key bit was when he said he "imagined the dwarf city Farthen Dur being taller". In the book it was clear as crystal just how incredibly tall it was, so I doubt anyone was listening to his input or even reading his books with much effort. There are times you see something going on in the background that says "Hey they really noticed that in the book" and you go Huh awesome, so what happened who knows..
    He, perhaps wisely, just took the money and ran. "Yes you love the movie Mr Paolini, Don't You? ... now turn around, bend over and receive your 'payment'."

Any chance of a worthy sequel was blown away when the script was given the go ahead. Shame since the books are a very worthy read.

Urgh a rant, but I couldn't resist. Just ignore me.

Rakku

A longer and better trailer of Clash of the Titans is now out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6qJ2xrLGk

omg the kraken looks so awesome

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

yeah snake has been waiting for this for years!!
    and i will see anything with sam worthington in it, omg he is soooooo hot!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

For those of you that haven't found it yet, something to do while waiting for the server to finish maintainance!

http://howtotrainyourdragon.com

See you all on March 26th in the theater!!
    English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over & goes through their pockets for loose grammar. -=Paraphased from James Nicoll=- Unicorn's Lady's Dalliance

Ahaha thanks for the link, the dragon races made me quite giggle. xD

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

FYI:

Movie was AWESOME!

Dreamworks did it again.

3d was gorgeous. Dragons were ADORABLE and tons of variety I expect to see more of some of what they described in the "dragon book" in a video game soon . Plot was great. Characters were humerous but human (not over the top).

Just a great movie all around.

Course it didn't hurt that Toothless looks and behaves like my black cat (Onyxia) with wings stuck on her. Not as cat-like for all the dragons (but they do Purr - so HA to all you people who think its wierd when my dragon purrs!:P), but the black one is definitely cat based heh.

SO CUTE.

So go see it. In 3d if you can. Really worth it.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    (but they do Purr - so HA to all you people who think its wierd when my dragon purrs!:P), but the black one is definitely cat based heh.

SO CUTE.
    I've -always- RP'd my dragons purring.. *shrug* it isn't That uncommon, esp where I RP (outside of Istaria, that is).

Thread Information