Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *Real* Male Movie Heroes/Stars/Main Characters.

Default Re: *Real* Male Movie Heroes/Stars/Main Characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    This here is pure truth and nothing but the truth.
    So help you Rambo, John Matrix, John McClane and all the other real man?

sorry, just teasing

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    So help you Rambo, John Matrix, John McClane and all the other real man?

sorry, just teasing
    ........???

What do they have to do about people being responsible for their own actions?

Basically what Velveeta was saying, was that people should stop blaming D&D, movies, and video games for kids turning out bad, that the kids alone are responsible for who they turn out to be.

Edit -- Scratch that. The kids and the parents together are responsible for who they turn out to be. Bad Parents will quite often breed bad kids. Not always, but Usually. There are always the rare exceptions. Good Parents having bad kids, bad parents having good kids...

That has nothing to do with the movie heroes... *blinks confusedly and shrugs*

I don't think they were ever meant to be "role models"... the movies are 100% meant to be entertainment, and they succeed quite well at that (well the ones I named) IMHO.

........???

Basically what Velveeta was saying, was that people should stop blaming D&D, movies, and video games for kids turning out bad, that the kids alone are responsible for who they turn out to be.

Edit -- Scratch that. The kids and the parents together are responsible for who they turn out to be. Bad Parents will quite often breed bad kids. Not always, but Usually. There are always the rare exceptions. Good Parents having bad kids, bad parents having good kids...

I don't think they were ever meant to be "role models"... the movies are 100% meant to be entertainment, and they succeed quite well at that (well the ones I named) IMHO.

Movies ARE the mirror of our society. And have always been.
    Movie heroes ARE role models, if they are ment to be that or not.
    Games of all kind do have great influence on our children.
    Speaking of D&D:
    Have you ever been DM for group of younger players? OMG- you really should have experienced that. It might change your mind.

And in my eyes its too easy to say that everyone is responsible for his/her own actions. I do not disagree with that in general, but its too easy.
    ML King (I could not find this cite) once said in one of his wonderful speaches, that (sry if I only have poor words to cite him) nobody can be happy, healthy, rich or safe, if his/her neighbour is not.
    We all are more or less responsible for the actions of our next.
    This is my opinion.

Back to the topic^^: I surely agree with Sigi and Awdz, feel even a bit stronger.

One exception *winks at Veru* John Wayne!
    He was my early childhood hero- and he is still unique for me:
    His guns have never been bigger than he was^^.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

........???

ok, a joke isn't not funny anymore if you have to explain it, but if you have to explain it it probably wasn't funny anyway.

In spite of this I'll try to explain.

You said:
    This here is pure truth and nothing but the truth.

This made me think of testifying at a court case where this nothing but the truth is followed by so help me God.

Replace God by the "real" man

(you remember, the topic you started? The "real" man about who you said:

So please don't generalize. Just because a movie has a lot of violence in it doesn't mean that the characters in the movie are bad role models, or that the actors/characters are not good men.)(post 15 of this topic)
    Last edited by Sigi; November 13th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

heehee i got ya, sigi, and i thought it was hilarious!!!!

and to get back to the op (i never thought this would turn into parenting thread!! stop it right now, it was supposed to be a lighthearted topic and i am sorry i contributed so much to the derail) -

john wayne is a wuss!
    clint eastwood is the real western man!!!
    best western EVAH - outlaw josey wales
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_josey_wales

in fact, the top 5 westerns as judged by the cheese queen doesn't even have john wayne, maybe even the top 10!!! clint can outdraw, outride, and outman marion (really what kinda name is marion for a real man???? no wonder he changed it to john) any day of the week!!! even clint's crap western (paint your wagon, the movie that convinced [wrongly] clint he can sing) is better than marion's crap one (el cid, unbelieveably bad even for mmm...)

and if you want new western men, check out the remake of '3:10 to yuma' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3:10_to_Yuma_(2007_film))
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

One of my favourite movies is "Judge Dredd", even though it is a sort of sci-fi genre.

I like the way he acts and thinks.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Can we get, maybe, a grey area between Too Much and Too Little testosterone/masculinity?
    hows about Macgyver? if he punches you he'll hurt his hand but if he has a paperclip, watch out bad guys and you definitely cannot confuse him for a girl.

I think the problem inherent is truly, "What is the definition of a 'Real Man' (tm)(c)(patent pending)? And can that definition truly be universal enough for people to agree on it?"

Personally, I think it might be Chuck Norris, or maybe Mr. Rodgers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

ok- here is a compromise:
    How about Nicolas Cage?

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    ok- here is a compromise:
    How about Nicolas Cage?
    I think Nic did pretty good in....

Oh, nevermind.

I shouldn't mention THAT movie, because just like Eragon, everyone will pop up and say it "sucked" even though I enjoyed it.

Gonna toss my 2cp into the fray:

Classic example of a male lead character with multiple layers to him - Kevin Costner in A Perfect World. (It even has Clint Eastwood in it too for you fans of his.)

More modern example of a similar type - Denzel Washington in Man on Fire.

These are some tough dudes, but they don't just come right out of the pocket guns blazing every time. They clearly have other aspects that make them more inspirational than your average muscle-bound action hero.

These are two of my favorite movies, if you havent seen them yet, get to it

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Oh, nevermind.

I shouldn't mention THAT movie, because just like Eragon, everyone will pop up and say it "sucked" even though I enjoyed it.

i get this all the time (see the first page of this very thread), dhal - you should take pride in loving cheesy movies, its a very lost art these days.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kalias View Post
    Gonna toss my 2cp into the fray:

Classic example of a male lead character with multiple layers to him - Kevin Costner in A Perfect World. (It even has Clint Eastwood in it too for you fans of his.)

More modern example of a similar type - Denzel Washington in Man on Fire.

These are some tough dudes, but they don't just come right out of the pocket guns blazing every time. They clearly have other aspects that make them more inspirational than your average muscle-bound action hero.

These are two of my favorite movies, if you havent seen them yet, get to it
    Kevin Costner did pretty good in Robin Hood and even Waterworld IMHO.

As did the guy in Dragonheart. Who was that, Dennis Quaid if I recall?

So, yes, you don't have to go in, guns blazing to be a "man".

But really. Robert freaking Patterson?

I still don't understand what girls like about that guy. He's like 90 lbs and the only masculinity he has in him, is a beard, and an unkempt looking one at that. He's always got that stupid attitudish snarky look on his face like he thinks he's better than everyone, but yet couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Denzel Washington in Man on Fire
    Now there is a great movie. Whenever I mention it, people around me get a blank look and do not know what I am talking about. That is a shame, because it is really a good movie.

Oh, nevermind.

Actually the movie Eragon was enjoying, however if you read the book before you saw the movie the storyline of the movie seems to run with the speed of light. I dare say that with only 30 minutes longer playtime the movie would have been great instead of okay (it might be okay in my book, but still bought it in the shop ).

Nicolas Cage is also a fun actor.
    However liked him better in the movie "Face off" then in the National treasure movies although I still like all of them

I really liked Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, eventhough I didn't like the fact he died. Was kinda hoping for a better ending.

John Travolta in either "Be Cool" or "The taking of Pelham 123" is also quite entertaining.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Actually the movie Eragon was enjoying, however if you read the book before you saw the movie the storyline of the movie seems to run with the speed of light. I dare say that with only 30 minutes longer playtime the movie would have been great instead of okay (it might be okay in my book, but still bought it in the shop ).
    Well, its more called a 'budget'.

They wanted to give people jaw-dropping aerial scenes (something THIS dragon movie has that none other does... you cannot say that any other dragon movie comes close to the special effects in its aerial scenes, and even a few scenes on the ground).

The one at the end, especially the ending of the scene, the special effects seem so.... real.

You know the dragon isn't really there, but dang if they didn't make you believe that it really was there. Don't want to give spoilers or anything, but the sound effects, all of the things happening, its just.... when I saw it the first time, I ... I was speechless. I was like ".... woah...." after I saw the last aerial fight scene.

We need more like it. We need more movies that have goodly/intelligent dragons in them, we need more aerial fight scenes. Another uniqueness of Eragon, was that the dragon was female. I don't recall any other movie (other than Dragonslayer, meh) where the dragon is a female. Just... something unique for a change.

Well, its more called a 'budget'.
    I understand what you are saying about a budget... However when a book is considered worthy enough to be used for a movie, then make a decent movie instead of:
    1. Making strange shortcuts to link various scenes.
    2. Leaving out vital story parts or less vital parts which reveal information about the characters.
    Movies like Dune, Eragorn and the first Twilight movie all have a lot of the leaving out information problems.
    Movies like LoTR and Harry potter also have various things left out when compared to the books, but the removed scenes have been chosen with more care so personally I don't feel like I am rushed through the movie like a rollercoaster ride. Which allows me for a more relaxed movie viewing.

However from the 3 in my eyes negative examples I have to be honest when saying that Eragorn is the worst. I have to agree with you that the special effects are really great and only for this reason I cannot wait to see the next movies. I do hope however that if/when they create any new Eragorn movie the producers keep the story a little better according to the books and not keep a really tight budget. IMHO 30 minutes of additional viewing time can trully improve the movie a whole lot. Right now Eragorn seemed to be more like a quick composition for extra cash after reading the book (saw the movie first).
    The first Twilight movie was also created less then recommended according to the book, but the second movie was done better and is simply a lot more enjoyable to me.

btw Dragonheart is also a nice dragonmovie even though not as hightech as Eragorn, but still quite enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonboy View Post
    btw Dragonheart is also a nice dragonmovie even though not as hightech as Eragorn, but still quite enjoyable
    I agree, but Dragonheart is still better than Eragon in my opinion. Draco has so much more personality than the movie Saphira. About the special effects, I saw not so much difference between Draco and Saphira, to be honest those feathered wings made her look silly. :/

For me there has yet to come out a movie that can beat Dragonheart for me.
    (Through I cry everytime Draco dies, I also cry everytime when that old knight dies in Eragon, <_<)

ยป• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •ยซ

Hello
    We will perhaps have more dragons, soon, in mini-series:
    http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_d...2?q=node/43301
    Last edited by LungTien Temeraire; December 22nd, 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Takora Drakan View Post
    (Through I cry everytime Draco dies, I also cry everytime when that old knight dies in Eragon, <_<)
    thus we have in common^^

Thread Information