Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test animation

Default Test animation

I was playing around last night testing something and before I knew it it was past 2 am and I had an interesting looking animation for dragons to replace the standard "sit". It is not all that polished but I asked for permission to post it here to see what players think of it. It is not an official replacement for the regular sit animation and I don't think that one should be replaced because many pairs like to use it to sit side by side and the new one does not lend itself to that. But there may be some use for it as an alternate.

It certainly gave me a good idea of just what the limits are for the model's flexibility although there are a few wonky things going on with it. Mostly in the neck and back. And some movements are not really in sync with what you would expect to see with a reclining dragon breathing. But I would appreciate any comments on it. We have a good animator but it is something that I have not really developed a lot of skill at yet so this is more of a learning project for me.

Download the attachment and unzip the file in your game's /resources_override folder. Launch your dragon and sit down.

The file is located here.

Default Re: Test animation

I have tried the new sitting animation on my hatchling on Blight.

The way the tail is laying besides the body is excellent just like the positioning of the forlegs. I totally love both positions. However the one and only thing I am not a fan of would be the positioning of the hindlegs. For some reason for me it just doesn’t look… comfortable. At least not a position I would use when resting.

Not sure how it looks on an ancient/adult, but (I am sorry to say) seeing it as a hatchling I would prefere not to use it…
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Here's a few screenshots for those of you who are curious:

I actually really like it so far. Aside from the awkward placement of the legs - both the front and the back, but I could live with the front - it's looking great. I quite like the breathing animation, it's smooth and natural, in my opinion. The placement of the wings and tail are just awesome. This, along with the canine sit (if they were ever to be implemented), would add so much more variety, 'sitting' and 'resting' rather than just laying down. :]

I appreciate you working so hard on this, Sol. I'm really impressed!

Edit: The little foot wiggle animation is adorable, by the way~ xD

Sheriff of the Order Roleplay Police Squad

Well, it certainly does not work well with a hatchling. I had not tested it yet on them until just now. I used an adult model to do the animating and things move differently on the hatchlings. So a unique version would have to be made for them.

The hind legs on dragons are just so darn difficult to place in a way that looks good. Especially cause of those great big feet. It is for this reason and body proportions that a canine sitting position is hard to make. I've tried and it just looks silly enough to me that I've not gone further with it.

Thanks for the comments, though. And the wiggle is not the only little animation I added. Take a look at the eyes (and excuse the eyelids flickering like they do).

There's seems to be a bit too much twist between the fore- and hinquarters.. I'd imagine that the dragon would need its front end to be a bit more onto its side rather than straight up as it is now.

The hindleg position as an idea is fine, but the hindleg closest to the front of the dragon (the one with the adorable twitching toes) looks.. awkward, as if the ankle is twisted.

Love the tail and wing positioning.

I'd also be interested in seeing this animation where the dragon has its head down, neck curled around like the tail is. If possible and you feel like bothering, anyway. :P Would be awesome if a position like this and a canid sit could be put ingame alongside the sit we already have somehow. That way, we'd have a sit, a lie-sit, and a proper lie down.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I'd also be interested in seeing this animation where the dragon has its head down, neck curled around like the tail is. [...] Would be awesome if a position like this and a canid sit could be put ingame alongside the sit we already have somehow. That way, we'd have a sit, a lie-sit, and a proper lie down.
    I agree with Raptress, eventhough I dont complete like the current animation the idea is totaly cool and I would love to try aditional sitting or lie down positions.
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    I'd also be interested in seeing this animation where the dragon has its head down, neck curled around like the tail is. If possible and you feel like bothering, anyway. :P Would be awesome if a position like this and a canid sit could be put ingame alongside the sit we already have somehow. That way, we'd have a sit, a lie-sit, and a proper lie down.
    Without seeing the test animation yet myself, I think I can picture this in my mind.. this would be nice if the animation went for say 15 minutes, to then go ahead and lay the head down.

Or perhaps, a secondary animation that goes from sitting to the layed down head, that could be a typed command like emotes are. that would only work if already sitting so that the animation is a simple flow from sit to laying down. (And not be a 'sitting' - 'stand' - then lay all the way down sequence).

Nice work Solitaire, keep trying.

I took a closer look at the eyes and all I can say is; awesome work, Sol! While of course it does need some tweaking here and there, I really am loving this new pose!

The neck should probably be held up more rather than outward like that, as it does make them look like they have a sore neck or something. It looks great on an ancient from what I can see on Veya's screenshots, but that's because the ancient's neck is much longer than an adult's.The hindfeet, I think the 'awkwardness' could be fixed if you had the toes closed together rather than spread apart, if possible. Also, the right hindfoot (From dragon's PoV) should point backwards like the other one rather than stay thrusted forwards like that. Hopefully that would be possible without having to get rid of the toe-wiggling, love it!

Also, Raptress pointed out something I was going to mention myself; it would be awesome if we could have a similar position but with the dragon's head rested between its paws or curled with the tail on the ground like Rap said, as well as hopefully, a future canine-like, poised sit. A sit, a lie-sit, and a full lying-down position would be incredible =] Dragons really do need more pose options. Pressing "Sit" could activate the canine sit for instance, while we have /lay and /rest or something as commands for this and the previous 'sit' position. Sorry if I'm being confusing xP

For anyone who wants to see how it looks on an adult model:

From above!

Back view, so I can ogle those awesome wings and tail!

Lastly, frontal view! Smile, Xeff! >=[

And thanks so much for doing this Sol, its exciting for us dragon-players!

oh my gosh this looks awesome!! *takes* mine!

oh thanks sol!!

Okay, here is your canine sit animation. It is about 30 seconds long so that it can have a flick or other things. Thinking ahead a little, I set it up so that we might be able to give a percent chance of some motions happening instead of repeating the same loop over and over. I'll have to figure that out, though. Like the first one, it does not work fantastic on hatchlings but is mostly ok. I do know there is a flicker along the fins on the back of the neck. I'm having a devil of a time getting that out without destroying the look of a dragon trying to be proud by holding it's head high in such a ridiculous position...

Unzip this new file here into your /resources_override folder and it will overwrite the first test animation if you have it installed. I'll save further refining it until after T2 revamp is finished.

*sighs* Too many things I'd like to do and too little time to do them...
    Last edited by Solitaire; November 25th, 2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Fixed the link.

VERY good job on this one too, Sol! Love the frontal half's posing, the neck and chest look pretty darn good. Hindlegs look a bit wonky but then I guess thats to be expected with how long they are, and how big the feet are The only issue I can spot really is the bend between the abdomen/stomach area and tail, since it gets shoved forward in the sit and looks... ahem, questionable. Also worth mentioning on the hindlegs, at the very very start of them, they look bent in a painful manner not common among things with bones in them, but then I know it needs to be worked on still and you likely know all this!

Beyond that, absolutely LOVE it, its gorgeous. The earfin-flick/twitch is delicious and cute (Though what would other headshapes do?) and I like the stretching motion as well, its very fluid and smooth, looks great.

Of course, I had to come provide SCREENIES!

Front view:

Upper side-ish view:

My attempt at getting an action shot of the stretch movement:

And that's it! It'll definitely look rockin' after some tweaking, along with the lie-sit one you did earlier. These are all looking awesome Sol, please keep us posted on your work x]
    Last edited by Xepher; November 25th, 2009 at 03:52 AM.

There is not anything I can really do about the "questionable" parts and the bend in the legs. That is one of the things that makes the position look a little ridiculous in my opinion. The model just plain will not bend in that area very well. I'll just explain it away as the "indentation" is just the stomach area below the ribs and the hump back out are pelvic bones. Nothing more, nothing less. The rest I leave to imagination...

As for the ear flick, it will show up on heads that have fins of some type. Those without won't do anything because nothing on their mesh would be influenced by the ear bones moving. I did give them something regardless, though it is not much. The left wing thumb will flick moments after the ears do.
    Last edited by Solitaire; November 25th, 2009 at 04:11 AM.

I can say only 1 thing, while it takes some getting used to see a dragon actually sitting down like a dog I do like what I see.
    Tested it on both my hatchling and my ancient, don’t have an adult to test it on.
    I however tend to think that it looks better on the hatchling then the ancient, but don’t ask me why…

If there are any strangely stretched body parts then I don’t see them or at least I am not annoyed enough by them to actually notice.

I love the canine-sit so much, I am going to use it, if that's alright. :3~

Sheriff of the Order Roleplay Police Squad

I love it! The canine one looks so much more natural to me then the other. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Veya View Post
    I love the canine-sit so much, I am going to use it, if that's alright. :3~
    Use it as you wish. It was not meant to be "official" but I'm happy that some people will get some use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
    Use it as you wish. It was not meant to be "official" but I'm happy that some people will get some use out of it.

Is there any chance of this and the other one being made into official emotes in the near future...? I hate having to choose between the two new ones, and I like the old one as well, so It'd be great to have all three n_n;

Could make the canine one /sitdown and the half-curled one /rest or somethin'!

ie in deed it whold be allsome to have all 3 typs of sit .. belly plop .. normel sit . lay down the laying down ish one and sit .. the dogey one : ) it be very nice to be able to ues all 3 wiht out have to move some files around and soo : )
    http://staronlightwing.deviantart.com/
    Hellenia hord 95869756, lv's 100.100.63 Staron hord 151402610 lv's 100.100.83 Josanna hord 2275812 lv's 100.100.87 Figes hord 126074906 lv's 57.34.00

Heh. I figured that there would be requests to get them all in as official. I had thought to put them in as an /emote but the system treats player triggered emotes and the animation that plays when you press "sit" differently. I can get them to trigger using an /emote but it will not loop so the character will stand up after it is done. Which is what that part of the system was designed to do. I've asked about it and will explore possibilities.

I've been having a good time with this and it inspired other ideas. I'm hoping to make a few more soon that will come in as official. One is complete already so I'll tease you with a deep respectful bow in the attached image.

I won't be focusing just on dragons though I probably will make a ratio of 2 or 3 dragon to 1 biped because of the limited number of dragon emotes, many of them player created re use of other emotes. And the fact that I'll have to make multiple versions of the biped emotes for the differences in races. So this might be a "keep me up late" project for a while. 3 AM last night... *yawn*
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

I've been having a good time with this and it inspired other ideas. I'm hoping to make a few more soon that will come in as official. One is complete already so I'll tease you with a deep respectful bow in the attached image.
    A bow? Yes, yes! I was just wishing for this emote last night. I tend to use /nod with the lack of a bow but this would be wonderful as /bow is my customary emote in most games. Thank you for all your hard, amazing work!

Thread Information