Thread: In-game calculator

Default In-game calculator

Can we have a calculator added to the client that will let us do basic math without having to use the windows calculator? It would make crafting, and especially lair shaping, easier to do. Especially if we have the game running full screen.
    I just lost the game.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Default Re: In-game calculator

heehee that's why all my puters have a calc right next to them.......
    just took a college admission test on monday - got a perfect score in reading and writing........
    not so good in math, and that was with a calculator..........
    numbers stymie my poor brain.........
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Good suggestion but doubtful it can be implemented. Yep, also have my little calculator beside the computer. Had a stop-watch too till it got stolen, used it often when i was crafting. Was a great to find the most efficient way to do something.

Would be useful, but for now I keep a calculator, several notepads and a pot of pens/pencils on the desk

this would be cool, especially if it can be docked and always open in the game window.
    I normally keep windows calc open and alt tab to it but an ingame one would be a little more convenient
    Sounjah <Strata> of Order
    60 Carpenter - 45 Fletcher - 28 Blacksmith - 23 Outfitter 31 Ranger - 21 Druid - 21 Cleric - 21 Scout
    RedStorm <Strata> of Order Dragon Hatchling

Thumbs up Re: In-game calculator

Signed

/signed

Why do you suppose it can't be implemented, Image? EVE Online has an in-game calculator. While I wouldn't expect Istaria to be able to have a feature just because another game does, this seems like a simple thing that would be highly relevant to the number crunching integral to Istarian crafting.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    Good suggestion but doubtful it can be implemented. Yep, also have my little calculator beside the computer. Had a stop-watch too till it got stolen, used it often when i was crafting. Was a great to find the most efficient way to do something.
    They implemented a Notepad, surely a basic calculator (doesn't have to be scientific or any crap like that) couldn't be added as well.

Anyone, even a beginner programmer, could code a calculator app. It is really easy to do lol.

Only saying, I'm certainly no expert, mainly cause many times when new programming was involved we got the answer that it could not be done. + All the stuff already on their plate. I wouldn't know about the notepad, if it was part of the original programming and never "turned on" or added later on.
    Do I hear volunteering, Dhalin?

Quote Originally Posted by Image View Post
    Only saying, I'm certainly no expert, mainly cause many times when new programming was involved we got the answer that it could not be done. + All the stuff already on their plate. I wouldn't know about the notepad, if it was part of the original programming and never "turned on" or added later on.
    Do I hear volunteering, Dhalin?
    I doubt Istaria is coded in one of the simpler languages, lol.

While a calculator app by itself would be easy to code, not everyone knows every language.

I could whip up a quick calculator app in something like visual basic, but I doubt Istaria is coded on visual basic lol.

I was just pointing out that as long as you know the language being used, it isn't hard to add some buttons, a display, and define a few variables.

Heck, I haven't done Visual Basic in 8+ years, and I could still remember the general idea behind coding it. I doubt you want me posting that Here though...

Cool Re: In-game calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Charys Stormchild View Post
    Would be useful, but for now I keep a calculator, several notepads and a pot of pens/pencils on the desk
    I agree: simple calculator, pen and copious notepad all at the ready... as important as cargo armour or bringing your tools along when crafting. An in-game calculator just doesn't seem necessary and I am sure that there are 100s of adventurers who would fail to see the need.

There are *lots* of other things that devs could be working on and I'm not even sure if any amount of graphical tweeking could make an in-game calculator look like an Istarian GUI.

Sorry to sound so negative... maybe I am tired from New Year's...

Cheers -

Nia : Chronicles of the Twisted Guild : Blight Shard

Aarwynith DragonFriend : The Phoenix Alliance Guild : Order Shard

I can imagine that people who play full screen could use it.
    However when you play Windowed like I do you have no need for a ingame calculator.
    When playing windowed you have multiple option which are just as good.
    1. The windows calculator.
    2. The regular calculator.
    3. If you don't mind spending a few hours creating a self made Excell sheet like I did which tells me exactly how much stuff I need to gather and craft for my lairshaping, as well as for disk or scalepack construction.

So for me it has absolutely no value when placed ingame.
    The above list of option also applies for the ingame calculator in EVE online only they spend time to develop it anyways. Interesting to have, but for players who play windowed no value what so ever.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Thread Information