Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wisps You are not close enough to gather that resorce

Default Re: Wisps You are not close enough to gather that resource

I am a bit puzzled that so many are having trouble with gathering essence. Now I haven't been up to the glowing at drift point if they are behaving a bit differently from other locations.

My dragon is ancient, I don't use any mods to change her size/appearance and I really only get annoyed if I am dragging the Super Mondo Cargo AnchorTM without wearing my speed wings. Hate when the radiants outrun me. But that is fixed by parking the disk and putting the speed wings on.

I use a /selectnearest targeting macro and my target highlight is the beam of light so I can locate the position even if the wisp itself is under my dragon. I also have a keyboard shortcut to switch from overhead view to first person which I use for fighting as well as crafting. I have been crafting with my biped alt too, can't say I have run into problems there either and that one is lv40 something scholar and lv30 enchanter.

Dracaena

Default Re: Wisps You are not close enough to gather that resorce

Even WITH the disk on the ground nearby and speed scales attached, there are points where the client doesn't show you where the wisp actually IS. There's lag somewhere and either one of two things happen:

1. The wisp moves insanely fast, making it too difficult to chase down. (Drift point is notorious for this)

2. you insanely scrape at the wisp underneath, wondering why it's "too far away". Your client says it's underneath you. The arrow tells you it's 0m away. Meanwhile, the server actually has the stupid thing on the other side of the road or something equally ridiculous.

3. This also varies from machine to machine. One machine will have trouble in Drift Point every single time, the other fails in Feledan.

I also agree with Lov's statements.

Default Re: Wisps You are not close enough to gather that resource

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    We're going to try a solution to this with the next patch. Wisps will no longer move at all. Heheh.
    This makes me a sad camper. I went out to Drift Point yesterday to gather essence to make a friend some spells. Once I looked at the area, I realized I had been at the wisps recently making granite cast stones that I had forgotten in a lairshaping induced haze. That field doesn't seem any different to me then wisp island.

I remember a time when I had quite the time chasing wisps at Kion (remember when there were wisps inside the city walls?). They did run away and not stay still. This was also a time when my computer was in much poorer condition then now. Back then combat was horrible for me, I had to figure I was at least several seconds behind what the mob was doing to me and if I wanted to not die I had to run while I still had a fair bit of health showing if things were going poorly. I think this wisp problem has a lot more to do with the player's computer then a problem with the game. I sympathize with the people who have computer problems but if we follow this path, what is next? Stationary chickens and cows?

Dracaena

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    We're going to try a solution to this with the next patch. Wisps will no longer move at all. Heheh.
    I hope not.

But, a possible solution might be to make the move more slowly? And stop and sit on their butts more often maybe?

They take off and you always have to get ahead of them a step or two to get the gathering going.

Also, everyone, make sure you got a hotkey (mine is G) for "Gather" because it helps stop them a bit quicker, that faster you can start gathering. Trying to move, stop, then click using the actions toolbar is alot more cumbersome, and probably the source of some frustration.

But it can be quite annoying when you know you are close enough yet it says you are 7m away... 12m away... grrr. this can sometimes be gotten around by either moving further ahead on the wisps trajectory (pain), or running out of range and back in an attempt to reset the positions.

Slowing them down didn't work. So stopping them is what worked. Sorry folks, its one or the other. And the less frustrating way wins out.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I don't really know why making them not move at all is such a bad thing...

It helps a lot, gameplay-wise. You can keep track of which ones you harvested from recently and which ones you did not, and you don't get lag or the dreaded "You are too far away to gather that resource" etc etc etc.

Making them not move any more is just a small aesthetic change...

But I'm glad this is being done, Essence used to be my least favorite material to gather, in fact, I always used residue whenever possible for this very reason.

Will they still squeak over and over and over and over and over and over again, or has that been "fixed" too?

I suspect they're leaving the wisp noises alone, but regardless, Xanthia kindly posted a way to change the noise they make if it bothers you: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=21839

Now we just need to think up a good excuse for the wisps finally holding still... atmosphere change interacts oddly with their outer layer, coating them in a fine film of glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Thicklesip View Post
    I suspect they're leaving the wisp noises alone, but regardless, Xanthia kindly posted a way to change the noise they make if it bothers you: http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=21839

Now we just need to think up a good excuse for the wisps finally holding still... atmosphere change interacts oddly with their outer layer, coating them in a fine film of glue?
    I thought something like that was posted, but I couldn't recall where.

Thanks!

we already have non-moving sources of essence.. they're called residue. wisps are living creatures.. why wouldn't they move?

Somewere on the forum I already made a post about greatly decreasing the amount of live wisps ingame and replacing them with Essence residue so that you at least keep some living wisps to kill and gather the tainted essence needed for potions I believe.

That would solve most of the problems that people have with moving wisps, while at least keeping the wisps moving like they should.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

I agree with that, why not raise the amount of residues and let t(reduced amount) of wips still hover around?

Xz

Closing this thread. Read the OP folks. The problem was not the availability of wisps, but the difficulties harvesting from them as they move away from you. Its done now.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information