Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angry with Mhedon

Default Angry with Mhedon

Ok, here's a scenario...I'm out hunting mithril golems, and am taking on a level 99 one...a bit of a challenge, but no bigee...

I see another golem walking towards me, but I can't select it because the one I am fighting is between me an it, so I back up so that I can run if the other one aggros...I have one 200 point attack to find out that it means business, right?

Wrong...the sucker hits me with Hurl Chunk 3 million or whatever, and I lose 734 points of health...no bigee, I hit regen and then start backing away, cutting my losses...

Well, then I get hit with Earthquake: wayupthere, from long range, and get dropped to the ground, 1k HP gone just like that...I am wearing cobalt plate, I should mention, and up till now it has seemed to work pretty good...

Could you either fix Mhedon so that he doesn't do such absurd amounts of damage, or make him bigger or glowing or something so that I can know when the MFer is in the area, please?
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Default Re: Angry with Mhedon

Or make him spawn at a specific place

Part of the challenge and unknowns where such leaders mingle among their kin.

Better, I think, than something obvious where then some characters will just go named hopping.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

I figure that this is a good place to mention that the normal mithril golems seem to have 50 meter arms...Avalanche of ore hits from that far away, overburdening me as I am sprinting, then 3 attacks in 4 seconds...

Is this planned? It seems like the rare bug, but it is really getting aggravating
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak

Do this test:

1) Go to a road, not burdened.
    2) Go off it and keep walking / running.
    3) Count the time before you lose the road bonus. It's some seconds. Call them N.
    4) Aggro a mob.
    5) Fly away or sprint away.
    6) You'll be still hit for N seconds.

It's a client-server issue. Your positional data (and hit by mob data etc) are updated only every N time. The rest of the time it's the client that guesses what you are doing and moves the mobs and hits you "like they were in real time".

Want other proofs?
    7) Group with someone.
    8) Follow them.
    9) Expecially if they take turns, you'll notice how they walk in "burst", sometimes they stop and then appear meters ahead you. If they walk over a cliff or inside a cavern the client has big difficulties with the Z position and you will see "jump like crazy" in the ceiling and then oscillating up and down till they are back in a flat surface and return "stable".

Again this is your client that gets not frequent enough updates (a connection with big latency will magnify this and many are affected by that since it's a datum usually ignored in favor of connection "speed") and interpolates them with the history of the past data it received so far.
    I.e. a dude walks over a cliff, so he is climbing fast? The client will store that.
    Later the client gets no more data for say 2 seconds.
    It remembers the slope of ascend of the dude and so it tries to "guess" and drawsthe other character at the previous height (say at the top of the cliff) plus the (dx and dy)/dz * horizontal distance, basically putting him in the sky.
    Then it gets a server update that says that the dude was FAR (because he descended the top of the hill) lower height than guessed and draws the character at the right place, but it stores an HUGE slope because of that wrongly estimated height.
    So, if data again stop arriving for some time, the client will draw the character at previous position plus that huge slope = it goes vastly underground now.
    Repeat for several times until the other character is "still" or running in a flat surface again and you'll get a wildlyoscillating in the vertical behavior.

Once again this is lack of data update. The same update you don't have during a fight so the mobs will hit you for a bit even after you run away.
    And you will drown even if you recalled in time under water again because the server did not receive (this "lag" is bidirectional of course) your intention to recall in time, even if the client drawn yourself recalling in time.

Or you will kill mobs and their hp bar will stay not at 0 because in your client they were alive while in the server they were dead faster already i.e. because of a debuff.

The stuff under the hood responsible for this is called "net code" and I discussed about it (not very... sweetly) already some months ago on Tazoon.com and a developer answered about that.

Again if I am wrong here (this is an estimated guess based on long observation and data packets latency with a net performance software) any dev please feel free to correct / compound this.

Anyway since game release the "lag" has been reduced a lot.
    Still the data updates are too infrequent to provide what is called exactly a "smooth experience".
    Other games try minimize this by using "point and click" interfaces, so the character position has not to be recomputed every little time and the server knows in advance where you are going and approximates better the movements.
    Yet point and click is somewhat clumsy and arcadeish so many players don't like it.

I'd suggest to the developers to add a feature (or who experiences this bad update problem to checkout with a software) the latency.
    You'll often be surprised by how much your connection sucks.
    I have been able to find regular analog modem connections way less latency prone than some "fast" DSLs.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Wow.. um, interesting.

Don't think a lot of that is correct, but since no one knows for sure what the hell is going on with the game engine, I guess wild speculation will have to do. [:P]

Erus Ex Universitas -- Erus Ex Istaria Guild Home

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is not complete. -- 3. Start something new.

Thank you much Varohk, that's a good enough answer for me...

Still annoying as hell though, and Mhedon is going to be a problem for a while, I think...

Anyways, enough ranting for one day, tomorrow I roast and toast some issues that have been buggin me

Ssilmath Torshak

Quote Originally Posted by Ssilmath
    or make him bigger or glowing or something so that I can know when the MFer is in the area, please?
    Hehe good one - this made me smile [:)]
    *imagines glowing named mobs running around*

But you are right. I hate it when I get one-hit-killed when I'm fighting for my life with a golem and the named passes by and POOF!
    The 50-meter-arms-problem is also a nasty thing. Nice explanations here above, but I don't care the reason - I want it fixed. [:S]
    Susan - Lvl 85 Tink and many, many other crafting classes
    Andarielle - Lvl 100 Adv / Lvl 100 Cra Dragoness

Former ICE

To be honest - i like it the way it is!

Fighting in an Area, not knowing if the Named mob "XY" is there or not, finally spotting him and getting him as an Add, is just ... exciting! :)

Or: Fighting in an Area, having spotted that deadly Named-one (Galestorm or Fuhrarage f.ex.), trying to kill the critters around him, but not drawing his attention to you is just ... even more exciting!! :)

Marking the Named-ones with an sign of exorbitant size "XY is here!" or any other markation would destroy the thrill (and therefor fun), so i'd say ...

*Putting on his round glasses, headband and his pair of very old Jeans*
    *Starts to sing*

"Let them beeee, let them beheee, let them be - ohhhhh - let them be! Wisper words of wisdom - let them beheeeeeeee!"

HAG

Andrew Zozulya

Heck, if AE putted insta Tech drop and inst form drop on bosses everyone will be excited 2-3 monthes. Almost every complaint - bosses are not worth spended time/risk to kill them.

Leave Mhedon as he is. It adds a nice challenge knowing that an uber named mob might be among the golems. Also, Mhedon is quite a challenge to beat. These challenging mobs provide a challenging hunt for the uber high levels. No need to weaken them.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Andrew Zozulya

Sorry, what a challange add it if you know that you will kill it if you pay some attention to fight but it will eay yours time?...Most likely behavior is to root him and to go in other area. Same as with all bosses right now.

The Main Hall of Khazad-dum, fighting for freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Zozulya
    Sorry, what a challange add it if you know that you will kill it if you pay some attention to fight but it will eay yours time?...Most likely behavior is to root him and to go in other area. Same as with all bosses right now.

Hehe....you cant root or stun Mhedon, at least i cant with perfect spell on[;)], and I say let him be, for the first time in along time i actually seea challenge. I love Mhedon and hope you`ll let him be, as with the others boss mobs.
    "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!!"

Fhrain Fireheart
    Dwarven Berserker at Night, Paladin in the Day
    --Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal--

Andrew Zozulya

Yes, let him be but after altering theirs loot table. Put there some minor ancients forms ( like altered tech/form with some random stat/skillbonus on it) I bet everyone will be happy isnt it?[:D]

Yes, let him be but after altering theirs loot table. Put there some minor ancients forms ( like altered tech/form with some random stat/skillbonus on it) I bet everyone will be happy isnt it?[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    I do like the idea of increased chance of Tech or another good drop, but not permanent, only thing that would do was promote camping.

Fhrain Fireheart

Andrew Zozulya

God ******** all Anticampers and Campfobics... Because of you (and crafter-lootfobics)huge amount of adventurer have nothing to do in this game..."No loot because it could be camped" is hillarious.

In this game already will be much comping util time last adventurer leved this game . Do you know what adventurers do in order to get some fun? They go out from town and kill mobs. If they kill 2 mobs in same location this is already camping. Yes!They Camp in spawn and kill mobs there. Did they wrong or what?

Grrrr![8o|]

Dolgan

You all call them *Boss*... though they are "just" *named*.
    I know (I pray) it is not an intention, but the result seems to me more acceptable if I imagine those named mobs like they are some sort of guardians of the spawn, making you all think twice about entering its territorry. Much like city guards.

So just call them guards... at least untill devs find out (and make it live) how to discourage from camping them if they would have more valuable loot.
    (and that is the reason i think they dont possess any valuable loot, just a guess though)

God ******** all Anticampers and Campfobics... Because of you (and crafter-lootfobics)huge amount of adventurer have nothing to do in this game..."No loot because it could be camped" is hillarious.

In this game already will be much comping util time last adventurer leved this game . Do you know what adventurers do in order to get some fun? They go out from town and kill mobs. If they kill 2 mobs in same location this is already camping. Yes!They Camp in spawn and kill mobs there. Did they wrong or what?

Grrrr![img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-39.gif[/img]
    I suggest you take a deep breath and cut the flaming. I`m an adventurer myself, and incase you dont i very well remember the camping of Umgruk Bloodsnout and the rest of the dryad event mobs. THAT, no matter what you might mean about it, is not fun to me. If they have to put UBER loot in then at least put it on a proper mob and not on one we can solo, that would just be lame. What im talking about is having 100 players sitting and camping to kill for instance Mhedon to get that "Permanent" uber loot. As i said, im all for increasing the drop rate of hihg lvl (or low lvl) loot a good deal, but im not sure about they dropping each time for sure...

Fhrain Fireheart

Andrew Zozulya

If they have to put UBER loot in then at least put it on a proper mob and not on one we can solo, that would just be lame,

and what, guild will camp anyway there. This is just because so much things are valuable in istaria for adventurers.

Any mob ( espetially ) umgruk was wery challanging for group. For single players they was almost not defeatable ( beside maybe umgruk and even this for players at 100 lvl in main adveture school ). Camping is not so bad if you have somthing to camp. Camping should be removed by reasonable methods not by taking loot away. Atleast, if there will be not Horizons there will be not camping in Horizons. This is situation i most fear since 3 december 2003. No, im not pure gloomsayer. Its just about how adventurers and another "End"gamers are handled in this game.

Hmm...can we then perhaps then agree on the fact that if they do introduce uber loot that it should be done on a massive scale? In the meaning that not just on one or 2 mobs, and of cource these mobs most be high lvl, for instance the guardians in all tier 5 and upwards might drop. This would to some extent prevent the camping a fear. Oh, and to say umgruk was challenging to a group is to over do it[:P].
    I do like the idea of getting some good drops, which has allready been done in the CS, where you can now loot mith jewlery although very rare (which suits me). Having them implent armor and weapon drops too could be fun.

*Shuts up as he discovers he`s abit off topic*

Fhrain Fireheart

Thread Information