Thread: New to Post Beta Istaria

Default New to Post Beta Istaria

I played Horizons back during the open beta. Had a guild all set up with crafting assignments set and just waiting for launch. But when I finally got into beta I saw how buggy it was and how you could run for what seemed like forever exploring and never see a single mob. This game was a dream come true until I experienced it. I decided not to buy the game and canceled my preorder. And saw the game basically die to a premature launch.
    Then I waited for a free trial to see if they fixed the game and when they finally offered a free trial it required a credit card. And after hearing the horror stories with billing was reluctant to give my credit card information for a free trial.
    Now a Free to play option is available so I decided to give the game a try again. Game installed fine then the patcher took forever (about 2 hours) for 132+ Megs. Which to me seems insane. Got to Character creation and messed around with creating a dragon just for the fun of it and then started creating my human. I noticed that the human customizations are severely lacking compared to the Dragon customizations, one of the things I was hoping had changed from the beta but had not. Then went to hit next after making my toon look like I wanted it to and the game crashed.
    Started the game back up and the game wanted to scan all the files to check for updates and was taking a while so I unchecked the scan option but got an error stating that since I did not have a character created I had to scan all the files. After quite a while I was allowed to create a character again and got it created and started the tutorial. I chose scout and skipped some of the basic help topics and went to kill the first 3 mobs for the quest. After finding the right distance to be able to attack with the bow I let fire and was disappointed to see that the scout arches the shots instead of straight shooting like you would use at such short ranges. It just looks stupid to arch the arrow. Continued to shoot until the mob got close and noticed that my health was going down faster than the mob's health so I switched to sword and shield and still the mob killed me. So I abandoned that quest and selected warrior and went out to kill the same mob again I died to the mob and became frustrated and quit for the night.
    How is it that the very first mob you are supposed to kill is able to kill you so easily? I looked and didn't find any special attacks or skills besides magical defense that I could use.

I will try again tonight. I want so very much to like this game. I had such high hopes for the game when I first found out about it before it was released. I will be a paying customer if I find that the game is fun and not as messed up as it was in beta.

Default Re: New to Post Beta Istaria

Thormach, I am sorry you had some difficulties with your first experience in the game since beta. I would highly encourage you to actually use the tutorial boxes as they explain how to play the game... it has changed a LOT since 2003.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I will try that... LOL I just hate a lot of reading... wish there was a way to increase the size of the text in the quest menu without having to modify the text size outside the game. Also How do you change the way posts in the thread are listed? Never seen a forum where the first post in the thread is on the last page at the bottom. Its very backwards.
    Last edited by Thormach; February 17th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

One thing to keep in mind for that first quest is to stick to level 1 grulets and give yourself plenty of time to rest between mobs. Anything higher than that is going to give you a difficult time. Also, this is probably the hardest quest in the whole tutorial (IMHO). Once you start leveling a bit, you'll find the rest of it easier.

As for the forum posts, I had the same thing happen to me. Click the link in the top menu of the Forum that takes you to the User CP. Then choose the Edit Options link. Scroll down a bit until you reach "Thread Display Options". For "Thread Display Mode", I chose Linear - Oldest Post First. That should do it, I believe.

Welcome to Istaria -- I hope this might help!

Thank you, not sure why they have it defaulted to newest first. But then again these forums do do things strangely.

You've missed out alot sadly enough. I've been playing since the release and sadly enough didn't knew of the game when it was in beta.

The game has had some really great community events.

I would personally love to be able to go through this all again. In a way it's sad that these great events could only be used once

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

most welcome home, thorm!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

*serves Thormach some delicious klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    welcome home! :-)

Last night I played the full tutorial on the spirit Isle as a Mage scholar and really enjoyed it. Even though the tutorial has a bunch of bugs like telling you have run too far to kill the spiderlings when you actually have not gone far enough. And telling you you made a wrong turn when heading to the mines which was actually the correct path. Or when I actually found the spiderlings kill one and the rest despawn. Or that it will not count crafting creations toward the quest if you use the bulk option.

Even with all these bugs and I am sure there are more I will probably, in the not so distant future, start a subscription based account. I cannot wait to play a dragon again.

Welcome back!! It's great to see returning players! If you're on the Chaos Shard the New Player Assistance chat channel is very helpful for any questions or feel free to send me a tell :-)
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Thread Information