Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Order Server and Lack of Roleplayers

Unhappy Re: Order Server and Lack of Roleplayers

When I have started to roleplay in this game, I was an inexperienced roleplayer. One day, I was looking for roleplay, while the DC was silent. I have found the Union-Vale RP channel, and after some minutes, I have met the moderator for the first time. But then, the things have gone wrong, and I have left the are after 5 minutes. I have, maybe, overreacted about some of the person's words and acts, and I regret that. Having read the previous posts, I'd say I'm now ready to let experienced roleplayers to help me to roleplay better and to give me their advices, if they want to.

Default Re: Order Server and Lack of Roleplayers

I know players of our sort can seem harsh at times LungTien, but really, if others are willing to learn and improve then the majority of us, myself included, are more than happy to help whenever we can, with what ever we can. We're strict teachers and that tends to get us intro trouble a lot, but what some don't quite grasp is that we're like this because we care about the community we're in and we want to see it grow into something great, not degrade into a cesspool of rude, immature players who run around with hatchlings that make absolutely no sense and have no good basis for their states and/or their behavior. Or, they simply are just -too- weird even for Istaria.

I've already had a few players message me privately asking for advice and assistance, feel free to do the same if ever the need arises.

Side note: Anyone else notice that 95% of the time its -always- hatchling characters that are mary sues?

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    To me it's as simple as; If someone who talks about not having RP/feeling ignored/whatever doesn't care enough to even try making an effort to join in my RP that I'm intentionally stretching to make it as join-able as possible just for reason "*excuse*", then I'm going to quickly stop bothering.
    Ahh okey, see that's a different point than I got before. That I certainly agree with.

Believe me I've had my share of whispers from people all pouty and sad about why their character isn't involved or getting RP or XYZ - and I normally turn around and go "DO SOMETHING."

So THAT, that I understand.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I won't quote it all - but I will comment on..

I am all for lore-bending RP, I have no problems at all with creatures that COULD exist, even if you stretch it a bit, or look at it sideways. Lore-bending for me isn't such an issue as "totally never found here where did you come from" characters.

Lore-bending I can ICily work around, even if Frith may not feel totally comfortable around such a creature - I can RP with that. When its a character that just doesn't exist - I really have a hard time trying to force Frith, in an IC way, to accept their existance.

I mean I have my own long-crap storyline and Frith has pretty much stayed true to a "good hearted" dragon. I don't do "dark" with Her RP - I prefer her to be a "standard Dragon - upholding values, and honor, and integrity, and duty - in the Istarian world" so to speak.

So while she carries on in DC (or anywhere else) trying to teach Hatchlings the "right" way to be , or the "proper way" to be a dragon (as Frith has always been very proper and formal in her ways) - she's never been a heavy/dark character. I get tired of those characters too - as so many RPers seem to play them - so I choose to go the other direction with her.

So when you take a creature that has since day one grown up with only an Istarian attitude and upbringing - who has never before interacted with vampire dragons, demon dragons, wolf dragons, half-ssaris-halfsslik-0halfwahtever dragons. And then one of those plops down - its hard to stretch the IC dragon-brain around them.

But I did want to clarify that I'm prefectly ok with lore-bending characters and RP. The rest, I try my best to include but it can be hard. But no, I don't feel its my responsibility nor a task I want to take on to tell someone "Hey you can't exist in this world." Because hey, other people are OK with lore-breaking and who am I to correct them?

ANd Raptress- I actually am more like you in wanting to have "Story RP" vs. just "Hanging out" RP. I'd love to be able to develop Frith forward in character, I've not been able to in YEARS. I'd LOVE for her to move forward (as I really only develop characters through RP...)

Unfortunately, I'm rarely on once a week as much as I try - and as I said before in a previous post - its very difficult to try and get involved in other's story-lines RP when you're on once a week or two at most - because everything moves forward and you end up standing on the sidelines just watching.

"hanging out" RP like in DC isn't my ideal RP - but its all I can find. Since those like yourself have chosen to isolate your RP elsewhere - Rpers like MYSELF who would love to be able to join in on something long-term can't find it easily .

Its just the nature of the beast. But don't make the assumption that just because someone is RPing "Hanging out" in DC that's all they want to do - cuz its just not true. Its just all they happen to be able to find. Esp. if the "storyliners" if you will, are all isolating themselves.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

I'm normally playing on Chaos but I do have a saris ranger on Order.

There is one thing I would like to say concerning New Trismus.

Each time I was on Order there were about a dozen dragons which would be RPing.

To these i'd like to say.

You're causing alot of lag and you're making the porting slow for players who actually want to play the game instead of RP hudles up together.

The new players will have a different experiance from the game as they will be bound in New Trismus.

I generally port in several seconds yet when I recal to New Trismus and there are alot of players RPing then it takes up to 1 min or more.

I wouldn't want to think about how long it would take for players which have a lesser system/connection.

Please do not see this as me being against RPing. Please see this as a way to improve the enjoyment of our new players.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Sunuke View Post

You're causing alot of lag and you're making the porting slow for players who actually want to play the game instead of RP hudles up together.

The new players will have a different experiance from the game as they will be bound in New Trismus.

I generally port in several seconds yet when I recal to New Trismus and there are alot of players RPing then it takes up to 1 min or more.

I wouldn't want to think about how long it would take for players which have a lesser system/connection.

Please do not see this as me being against RPing. Please see this as a way to improve the enjoyment of our new players.

Thank you
    Well, with New Trismus being the hub of where people gather, and the fact that other similar places like Chiconis now need to be attuned to, I don't see RP moving out of the town of New Trismus any time soon.

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

Thank you
    I can see where you're coming from with the fact that having a lot of people in one spot can create lag issues.

However, I feel that it's better to have these people in New Trismus. When I first started the game and got to New Trismus, I saw NO ONE. I thought the game was pretty much dead. If I hadn't found the chat channels I'm sure I would've stopped playing. I think that it's much better to see people there and people RPing. I mean this IS the RP server and that's what you're supposed to see. I think it's more inviting to new players to see that there are people around.

I guess though, we don't always have to bunch up around the shrine. We do get annoyed by Pratt and co. anyways.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

Greetings Sunuke. I am aware that many hatchlings is one reason for increased lag, but New Trismus is a very good place to help new players get into the game. Having a minute extra load doesn't really make a difference, I think it's worth it, to have a place where people can do casual RP and introduce the new players to how it works.
    <-- Please help my dragons, click on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossos View Post
    Greetings Sunuke. I am aware that many hatchlings is one reason for increased lag, but New Trismus is a very good place to help new players get into the game. Having a minute extra load doesn't really make a difference, I think it's worth it, to have a place where people can do casual RP and introduce the new players to how it works.
    I have a windows 7 64bit system withquad core and 6gb memory on a 30gb connection.

One of the hatchies i'm helping through RoP on Chaos uses a P4 and sometimes it takes her 10 min to port to places like Dralk.

Knowing that I can understand it wouldn't be inviting to new players.

I always try to help new players on which ever server I play and I also understand the need for help towards new players.

There is a difference on crowding the shrine or camping the connie and pawny too as that loads at a later point then everything around the shrine.

This reaction was out of concern towards new players not out of spite against RP.

I think we all like to RP every now and then.

It's hard to avoid the best place in the game to find random overworld RP. New Trismus is the place that new players/characters get herded to. There is nowhere else in the game that has a population as consistently high as New Trismus. Yes, the lag is a problem, but New Trismus lags me pretty bad even when it's empty. It's only a bit worse with some players around.

Besides, we're talking about Order here. The RP server. We don't like to RP "every now and then." We joined an RP server, we're here to RP. And New Trismus is the single best place to both meet new RPers and show new RPers that roleplay does actually occur on the roleplay server of this game, as oftentimes, I will hear that in many other games, the RP servers are just normal servers that sometimes have better punctuation.

That, and it really isn't anyone standing around New Trismus' fault that the game can't handle things well. Even system specs stop mattering at a certain point, and you still get lag.

So yes.. it's an issue, but I think having a presence to show the new players that RP actually happens here is a little more important if we really want to hang on to new roleplayers. This game doesn't do a great job of hanging on to people just for the game as it is. I know a number of people who would quit if it weren't for the RP.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

I have a windows 7 64bit system withquad core and 6gb memory on a 30gb connection.
    A 30gb connection? Where does one come across such a connection? :P T3 runs at around 45Mbps and that'll cost ya about $4000 a month. There exists no consumer 30gb switch, router or motherboard port that I'm aware of let alone an actual broadband connection of 30gb. Wouldn't matter if there did anyway, as I'm quite sure that the Order server is nowhere close to touching a 30gb connection of its own.

System performance is only going to help your load speed up to a certain point, a computer of that power likely surpasses the engine's ability to render everything. I spent the first 2 or 3 months of my time on Order bound in NT (which was, in fact, busier back then) and personally I had little issue loading in, so I don't know what would be causing it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    A 30gb connection? Where does one come across such a connection? :P T3 runs at around 45Mbps and that'll cost ya about $4000 a month. There exists no consumer 30gb switch, router or motherboard port that I'm aware of let alone an actual broadband connection of 30gb. Wouldn't matter if there did anyway, as I'm quite sure that the Order server is nowhere close to touching a 30gb connection of its own.

System performance is only going to help your load speed up to a certain point, a computer of that power likely surpasses the engine's ability to render everything. I spent the first 2 or 3 months of my time on Order bound in NT (which was, in fact, busier back then) and personally I had little issue loading in, so I don't know what would be causing it for you.
    My bad 30Mb, I shouldn't be on the forum when doing night shift:-)

Blog Entries

One of the hatchies i'm helping through RoP on Chaos uses a P4 and sometimes it takes her 10 min to port to places like Dralk.

Knowing that I can understand it wouldn't be inviting to new players.

I always try to help new players on which ever server I play and I also understand the need for help towards new players.

There is a difference on crowding the shrine or camping the connie and pawny too as that loads at a later point then everything around the shrine.

This reaction was out of concern towards new players not out of spite against RP.

I think we all like to RP every now and then.
    That is weird cause I never have any troubles loading around NT with a bunch of players on. I am typically there within 10-30 seconds. No problem what so ever.
    The longest I have to wait is if my cache folder doesn't have any world information, then it takes me a minute or two, but once it gets that cache information, it flies.

I also don't see myself as having the greatest tech either, just-- odd tech within my laptop(since it is seen more like a workstation then a laptop)
    9000 Duo Extreme Core Intel Processor
    2 Gigs worth of Ram
    516(with 256 dedicated) Nvidia Quadro FX 1600M
    Windows XP (Professional Ed.)

It was an expensive machine at the time, and only needed it because I work with Photoshop and a load of layers. o.o Even sometimes Photoshop places more strain on this system then Horizons does(and I play Horizons with everything maxed).

As for everyone hanging out in NT, I also can't justify against it. It is good to see it, since a few weeks back, I didn't see it(and thus this rant started) and I've been noticing an increase, which is making me smile back here.

Besides, on the dragon end, they don't even get taught about channels, only on the bipedal end of the tutorial do you. o.O
    Go figure, huh?

So really, as big has this world is and as massive in its size, NT needs to have people hanging out and helping with the new players. Weather it be helping them get around, helping them with quests, or teaching them the 101 of Roleplaying, it is the best place for those more experience to help.

So really, as big has this world is and as massive in its size, NT needs to have people hanging out and helping with the new players. Weather it be helping them get around, helping them with quests, or teaching them the 101 of Roleplaying, it is the best place for those more experience to help.
    Yes, once upon a time it was Chiconis that was the dragon -rp-hub central (and bipeds learned and came and hung out as well) - as all hatchies were sent there immediately after leaving the less-developed trainer isle and hung out there for their entire tier I training. But then the devs redid Tier II and Chiconis became a dead city like most others in the game.

So now NT is "the place to be"- since after that people get sent to multiple places to be and there is no more "central" hub to catch the new players and let them know 1-there really are people here playing and 2-there really is RP.

I feel for those suffering with the lag though, I do, if people moved consistently to another spot (that new players are directed to as easily as a single starter island) it would move. But then, you'd have lag in that spot...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    Yes, once upon a time it was Chiconis that was the dragon -rp-hub central (and bipeds learned and came and hung out as well) - as all hatchies were sent there immediately after leaving the less-developed trainer isle and hung out there for their entire tier I training. But then the devs redid Tier II and Chiconis became a dead city like most others in the game.

So now NT is "the place to be"- since after that people get sent to multiple places to be and there is no more "central" hub to catch the new players and let them know 1-there really are people here playing and 2-there really is RP.

I feel for those suffering with the lag though, I do, if people moved consistently to another spot (that new players are directed to as easily as a single starter island) it would move. But then, you'd have lag in that spot...
    Gerix doesn't belong in Kion in my opinion but he is the NPC to goto for young hatchlings.

I only spoke out my concerns as you could have read in my previous posts.

For me it takes a certain amount of time I can live with. I have heard from other players they need a long time, like 10 minutes, to port to Dralk.

So I am suprised why this turned into something else.

I'm not debating the importance of NT to hatchlings.

Side note: Anyone else notice that 95% of the time its -always- hatchling characters that are mary sues?

Assuming you're using a TVTropes term there, the only "definition" I can find of "Mary Sue" is a character that has no flaws and is nothing but good, which is oddly the exact opposite of some of the other people in this thread at describing (Dark, vampire, demon, etc).

But, just curiosity, what exactly did you mean by "Mary Sue"? If we use the TV Tropes definition, then it would make sense that a hatchling *would* be a Mary Sue -- a hatchling is... well.... a hatchling. It just hatched, and is still innocent, at least for awhile. Now that doesn't mean the said hatchling should be *flawless*, but most of the "flaws" would be more similar to what a kid has, simple mischief, etc.

Or am I just reading this wrong? Just curious.

Wiki FTW, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

A Mary Sue is one that has a ton of 'super powers' or quirks and none or not enough flaws to counter act the character and keep a balance. They're sometimes also closely tied to canon characters.

An example of an instant Mary Sue is a Princess of a very rich kingdom or a descendant of <insert canon person here> that can do everything well and is so great that they beat everything. It does not necessarily have to be of 'good'

While I can't find my favorite definition, the wiki serves well enough and touches on the different 'breeds' of Mary Sue, touching on the villian side where he has such a tragic past and all of these things done to him, that it barely makes the story believable in the context of time.

How exactly, did you escape from this faraway kingdom that you owned, defeated Drulkar in a battle of wits, became his greatest enemy, killed thousands of dragons single handedly and write your own novel... you say you did this when? You're... level 5 and you just showed up last week... -_-

edit: found it... yeesh. It was Encyclopedia Dramatica's definition, but I've taken the url out. They like to throw curse words around like rice at a wedding, but the context minus all that is better than anything I could elaborate on.
    Last edited by Shian; March 1st, 2010 at 03:20 AM.

And let's not forget the frequently forgotten trait of the worst Mary-Sues that is frequently forgotten! (Frequently)

The principle being that the morals of a world should never be defined by a single person.

I found that I ran into a lot of problems when roleplaying because of huge overreaction to the slightest mishap (for example, my boisterious hatchling, Vivistix, got into a fight with a nature-dragon-spirit-golem thingy; not a bloody to-the-death sort of fight, but a disgruntled scrap. The fight itself was just because of a series of small misunderstandings: how was it fixed? Well, an Ancient Dragon came along and threatened to murder Vivistix.)

That and there is a constant fight for control. I've been in the situation on multiple occassions where you've got some tainted, bloodthirsty hatchling trying to murder everything that breathes. So, along comes Galde, reasonably thinking: 'Oh dear, evil hatchling is murdering countless innocents. I am a warrior-mage and I do fight and kill blighted dragons and bipeds on a day-to-day basis for the good of Istaria. I'll just stop this mad hatchling and save the victims now.' You know, goes to stop bloodmad kiddo BUT WAIT! here's a noble and kind Ancient Dragon, coming to royally deck a surprised Galde because the hatching doesn't mean it, or the hatchling is just mislead, or misunderstood.

The dying screams of the other hatchlings and bipeds say that the hatchling isn't misunderstood, as far as Galde is concerned, and the thing is a psycho that needs to be stopped. But nope, evil hatchling is misunderstood and is allowed to escape to continue his dastardly killfests while Galde becomes the horrible monster for wanting to silence the poor child.

So, what, Evil Psycho Hatchling is allowed to roam free and characterise what they want, how they want: me? Oh, no, I'm not allowed to roleplay my character as they should act because it would intrude too much. In a reversed situation, I know that actions bring consequences and if I play a cruel murderer, good guys are going to want to stop me. If you play an evil psycho you should be prepared to deal with the consequences of being evil in a world overruled with good characters (mostly).

Which is by coincedence a great example of one character defining the morality of a world.

Galde's never been a wholly good character or a wholly bad character; she's been cruel and she's been kind, it's all one big learning curve. But heck, when the consequences to her actions come a-knockin' I learnt a long time ago that it's my duty as a roleplayer to deal with them.

But when you have characters on every side murdering and pillaging, using powers so incredible it's a wonder they don't implode the Blight on their own, transforming into Godlings that can above all do no wrong, it starts to whittle you down. I just lost steam, eventually, and withdrew from the roleplaying side of Order. And with no roleplay; roleplay that was previously there from the very beginning when I found Snowheart, my first Istaria pal, on the dragon training island, the game just grew dull for me. So that's when I quit. :/

And there you have it, my life story! <3

~Galde

I support what you have said, Galdethriel, and I'm sad to not see you in the order shard's RP

You are missed here, Galde..
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Thread Information