Thread: New Apartment - The good, bad, and the ugly

Default New Apartment - The good, bad, and the ugly

New apartment! Woot!

So lets sum it up briefly. The good things about it:

- My own spacious... uh.. space.
    - Landlords replaced most of the carpet with hardwood-looking linoleum.
    - For once I have cupboards to put my stuff in. And shelves.
    - Cheaper rent.
    - Its quite nice in here.

The bad things about it:

- We live across from a pack of high school-pre college teens. Their apartment most of the time on and off is apparently the local rave club.
    - The carpet was ripped up because the previous owner let their new puppy pee all over it in the living room.
    - The owner also left us stale, melted, or crunched up cookies in the cupboards to vacuum up.
    - While it has been replaced, the fire extinguishers had been used and emptied.
    - The stove fuses were burnt out, so we ate granola bars till it got fixed.
    - We are still pulling the landlord's teeth for spare keys. He however is busy and I have been understanding as he has been dropping by to fix some things up.
    - Someone's cat keeps coming to the window. It wants in and claws up the screen when I don't let him in or pay attention to him.

And finally the ugly:
    - So you read about that puppy? Well the remaining carpet that didn't smell of dog urine all over got to stay, the brown shag rug is in the bedroom (namely, the only other room here excepting the bathroom). I find I hate owners that get pets and then don't take care of them. I say this because it has become evident from bite marks on my partner and I's arms, face and legs that the puppy clearly had fleas. Also because I caught one on the back of my hand and poked it (it zipped off to somewhere). Anyways, the puppy left them in the rug. So we have fleas. Argh.

Default Re: New Apartment - The good, bad, and the ugly

Eeeshhh... fleas >.<

I can also sympathize.

Yeah, we just got new neighbors up top. That graciously brought us a present.

Silverfish (or whatever they're called)

Our street has packs of kids constantly walking up and down our street. The local high school just lets em run wild so from around 11-1pm, there's noisy preteens leaving garbage all over our street >.< Other times, it's just noisy kids.

Why? Why do you feel the need to take your garbage with you just to leave it on our street? Get off mah lawn!

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

o man, no need to tell me anything about kids and garbage - i live 6 houses away from not one but 2 skewls for preteens and the high skewl is less than 4 blocks away.....
    apparently, that makes my yard the garbage dump......
    man, kids these days eat some hellacious crap
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    ... I say this because it has become evident from bite marks on my partner and I's arms, face and legs...
    My first thought wasn't about flea bites! >.>

Talk to the landlord about getting the carpet removed and replaced with something hard. Maybe he'll be more willing to do so if you guys help. That's some nasty carpet.

You have to be vigilant with fleas. It takes MONTHS to get rid of them for good. Otherwise they keep coming back when the eggs you missed hatch. Maybe it's time for some bug bombs.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Ugh.. I feel for ya.. fleas suck!
    A few years back my parents took in a small stray chiwawa and let it stay in the back room because it was really cold out. The poor thing had bad fleas, and died before we had a chance to treat it properly

6 months and about 4 total house bombing later, we got the flea population mostly undercontrol both inside and outside and get rid of them on our dogs. I bet it was another six mo and several more bombings befoe we finally got them all.

Dang, I've grown up with dogs all my life and never had a flea problem like that. Usually the specific vaccum/carpet shampoo (if needed) gets rid of it just fine. Huh..odd.

As for puppies and apartments - I have to say don't get too mad at hte previous owners. Having raised one of my own dogs in an apartment, its REALLY hard to potty train in an apartment when you're working. The dog has no choice but to potty in the apartment. Now you can lock it in the bathroom, or crate it (but trust me when I say not all dogs adapt to crating, not all dogs don't create bigger issues when crated like say howling and barking all day...) - but its very difficult to potty train a dog when you're in an apartment just because they don't really ever learn NOT to go inside (crated or not) - vs. having a yard where they never get the chance.

It sucks - and I certainly feel for your flea problem - but be glad the Landlord at least replaced the pee-ed on carpet. Not all landlords do, they just go over it a few times with a steam cleaner and call it done.

As for spare keys - hell just go make your own and don't worry about it. I never tried to get a landlord to do it for me, they take too long.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

i agree on the key thing - i always make my own.
    if it were possible, i would have changed the lox myself - you can never really be sure the landlord replaced them without actually seeing it yourself, and you never know who has spare keys to the place......
    if you can, i would recommend putting some sort of secondary device on the entrance doors (like the 'chain' thingy, if you get me) - it won't stop em, but at least you will get some sort of notice and not wake up with some stranger standing over you while you sleep.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post
    Ugh.. I feel for ya.. fleas suck!
    Ugh!! Bad pun!!

Can I call in a RUNP strike?

Good suggestions so far.

Carpet is a lot like animal fur. It provides nesting grounds.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

I thought/heard that fleas from animals normally don't go on humans, but probably when they don't have food they go also on humans. >_>

But fleas are a pain in the butt, my kitty has them since we got it, and we really tried all to get them off, flea collars, powder, whateverispossible ugh. He does not mind them much through, but I wished we just could them get off him. D:

»• Adventurer 100 | Crafter 100 | Lairshaper 100 | 100 Million Hoard | Expert Dragoncrafter | Expert Lairshaper •«

Zomg thread rez!

But new uglies to whine about:

- Our fridge quit a few months ago and the contents defrosted and spoiled in both freezer and the fridge part. We were without a fridge for several days while the idiot landlord played musical fridges and refused to buy a new one for us.

However, one thing now has me wondering why I put up with this hellhole. Wondering if it would be wise to find a new place before I end up with some more awful stuff:

- I was nearly electrocuted by the stove. Effectively, I was cooking with a cast iron frying pan. I turned the handle to the outside to work with the contents within. My hand brushed up against the metal trim on the stove... and I recieved a very large, painful shock. Landlord refuses to have someone competent and licensed fix it. This appliance also has been problems before, the oven quit, the burners half worked when we moved in... repairman almost electrocuted himself by not unplugging the **** thing trying to fix the oven. Much like the fridge, I want a new one, but that's never happening.

No harm in looking for a new place, who knows what you come across

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

The problem is, everyone (landlords I mean) wants to do everything on the cheap.

They want to collect the rent, but they don't want to spend a dime more than they absolutely must, because... well... that costs them money, you know.

But then it would help if repairmen and technicians wouldn't charge such ridiculous rates to fix anything, too...

Check your local and provincial laws regarding renters' rights. Some jurisdictions allow a renter to pay out-of-pocket for certain types of repairs and recover the cost by deducting it from their rent.

As for the stove, it sounds like the insulation in the burner has worn out and the electrical wire inside is now touching the metal casing. It's also possible that the stove isn't grounded. A volt meter should be able to answer that question. In either case, that's a clear safety hazard and should be repaired before the stove is used again.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDragoon View Post
    Zomg thread rez!

But new uglies to whine about:

- Our fridge quit a few months ago and the contents defrosted and spoiled in both freezer and the fridge part. We were without a fridge for several days while the idiot landlord played musical fridges and refused to buy a new one for us.

However, one thing now has me wondering why I put up with this hellhole. Wondering if it would be wise to find a new place before I end up with some more awful stuff:

- I was nearly electrocuted by the stove. Effectively, I was cooking with a cast iron frying pan. I turned the handle to the outside to work with the contents within. My hand brushed up against the metal trim on the stove... and I recieved a very large, painful shock. Landlord refuses to have someone competent and licensed fix it. This appliance also has been problems before, the oven quit, the burners half worked when we moved in... repairman almost electrocuted himself by not unplugging the **** thing trying to fix the oven. Much like the fridge, I want a new one, but that's never happening.
    OK time for a Realtor to step in (Note i am not licensed yet but my mom is and i have studied under her for many years) From what i am reading your land lord is in several Fair housing violations also there could be some HUD infractions

In ether case your stove / oven is a fire hazard and needs to be replaced your Frige depending on witch state you live in , the content of of your broken fringe your apartment can ether reimburse you OR Deduct off your rent

Both me and my mother think you should defiantly give HUD a jingle have them first come out to your place to document everything before talking with management

YOU MUST BE WARNED
    Once you do this your Landlord will be extremely pissed off and WILL find non Illegal ways to retaliate agents you such as putting more noisy kids around you (there is ways around this ) raising your rent at the end of the lease that kind of stuff keep record of every thing he dose in-case it gets bad and this winds up in court witch it could very likely wind up anyway
    Face forward and you should be able to hear it now the only thing plugging your ears is your own fear. There is only one enemy and one of you so what is there to be afraid of ? Abandon your fear turn and face him, Don't give an inch. Now advance Never stop If you retreat you will age Be afraid and you'll die NOW SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME !!!

yea if you have it in your power and can afford a better place - MOVE! Its just not worth it..ugg.

NOt every landlord does it on the cheap; just depends what type of place you move into. Your place sounds like...crap. You move into nicer, upscale, places and problems like this - despite probably never even happening because places that are 'upscale' are 'upscale' for a reason - get taken care of better.

Maybe not *faster* but at least better..lol.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information