Thread: Dumb Things that People Say

Default Dumb Things that People Say

I'm not sure if this would really be considered a full-out Rant, or more of a Satire/Making Fun of post.

Either way, I see no other place to put this and it kinda is a semi-rant about stupid people (or, at the very least, people who do/say stupid things) IRL.

I'm going to use this thread to post all of the "dumb things" people say/do at my work IRL.

As mentioned in my last Rant Threads, I work at a small grocery store (Retail).

So yesterday, I'm doing Delivery Day (we call them Truck Days) and I'm on stock as I always am (I do both Cashier and Stock) on Mondays and Thursdays.

Anyways, I'm stocking something... brownie mix I believe... and this older lady walks up to me, and she says:

"Are you familiar with the store? I bet you are, you're stocking stuff."

I literally... froze.... for a split second as a plethora of snarky things went through my mind, but I forced myself to be polite as I always do. I barely manage to mumble out a 'yeah' while I continue to mull over how dumb that statement is.

Picture a guy standing at a shelf, holding a brown box in his left hand, pulling items out of said box and putting them on a shelf. He's wearing black denim pants, a collared shirt and an older well-worn green apron, complete with nametag. Gee, you think he might be an *employee* there? I wonder....

Anyways, after my mumbled 'yeah', she goes:

"Do you have anything for... well... you know... cough drops?"

I'm thinking something like this: Well, gee. Grocery Store? Check. Middle of Winter? Check. Of *course* we have cough drops. Everyone else does too. But, this is a customer here; I really shouldn't be a Deadpan Snarker, especially not to a customer. Gotta be polite. I say:

"Yeah, they're back in the office where you get the lottery tickets."

Now, a small bit of background about our particular store: We have a 6-aisle store in a small town along a major US Highway. The location is very good for us, and we do a ridiculous amount of business, all things considered, which is very good for us. The new boss (he took over in 2001) has been very smart, in expanding our merchandise. Anyways, he moved all of the HBA items (Health-and-Beauty Aids) to the office, which is a separate room past the cash registers.

Said room contains all HBA stuff, along with Lottery, Movie Rentals, and of course, documents, files, computers, and most importantly, Money. Hence why the door is always closed and locked when no employees are watching the room. There's also a large yellow 8x11 computer paper sign with big black letters that reads: "Ask a cashier to ring for manager." and a white sign saying "For Customer Service, ask Cashier for help".

Wouldn't you know it, not more than 5 minutes later, same woman walks the whole way across the store, walks up to me and goes:

"Do I have to break in to get in there or something? What do I gotta do?"

First thing that comes across my mind (I don't say it of course) is "Yeah, ok, I'll get my crowbar, teach you the ins and outs of breaking and entering, and as a bonus I'll even throw in "how to wear handcuffs fashionably" and "how to get in and out of a police cruiser while wearing handcuffs" while I'm at it.

Arrrgh!

There are two BIG signs with BIG BLACK LETTERS with explicit instructions on what to do if the door is closed and locked. Honestly. But I suppose that requires reading.... ahem.....

So I say to her (quoting the sign, verbatim):

"Please ask a cashier to ring for manager."

And she walks away.

Later on, I was telling one of the cashiers this story and I go "One of the few things I simply love about this job is it makes me feel like Einstein considering some of the customers and a few of our workers..."

Default Re: Dumb Things that People Say

Heh I know the feeling. I hate it when im quite clearly stocking I get asked if I work here.

You may like this site, its packed full fo stupid customer quotes!

I hate it when I'm wandering around a store and I get asked about where stuff is or if I work there...?

I'm like "I'm not wearing a uniform, I don't have a nametag..why do I look like I work everywhere??"!

ROFL.

Though I will say - if someone in a store were to direct me to a locked office - I'd be really confused (I would actually have wondered if you were being an *** telling me they were in the office with the lotto tickets..). I've never been to a store where merchandise was in a private office. THat's really..odd...

For my own rant - which only loosely has to do with yours..

I really hate when people use the word " occular" or "orbs" for "eyes". Its really pretentious to me and stupid. Any "roleplayer" who writes like that I immediately am turned off to RPing with them. lol. They aren't Clive Barker - and honestly I think his word choices are pretty pretentious as well.

They are EYES - they aren't "occular orbs" - for frickin's sake!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

hey i love clive barker!!!

i have pages and pages of my blog full of the really stoopid things peeps say when calling a call center. i mean, real 'here's your sign' stuff....
    swear to god, its the reason i hate being on any phone now.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Like when I was working at Kroger in the seafood shop, apron and all, and they walked up to the counter and looked me in the eye (occular orbs ) and asked, "Do you work here?" (:rolloccularorbs: )
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Though I will say - if someone in a store were to direct me to a locked office - I'd be really confused (I would actually have wondered if you were being an *** telling me they were in the office with the lotto tickets..). I've never been to a store where merchandise was in a private office. THat's really..odd...
    We once had the HBA section near the cash registers, but people were stealing pill bottles, maxi pads, anything they could get their grubby paws on. We had the movie rentals in the office (well, it is actually technically called "Customer Service"), but we were using a lot more room than necessary.

So, the boss ripped out the HBA section, moved it into the "office" (vastly reducing the space used on movie rentals in the process), knowing that there would be a manager in the room at all times when it is open to the public. This cut down on theft by at least 80%.

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    hey i love clive barker!!!

i have pages and pages of my blog full of the really stoopid things peeps say when calling a call center. i mean, real 'here's your sign' stuff....
    swear to god, its the reason i hate being on any phone now.....

Oh, I love Barker too - but I certainl recognize his excessive (at times) use of a thesaurus .

And yes Veru - isn't it a bit ridiculous? YOu wouldn't believe how many times I see Rpers using that phrase for "eyes" - OY OBNOXIOUS!

And yea Dhalin - as soon as I read that I figured it was for theft reasons. I was just giving that "other side" of why it might confuse a few people hehe . Not sayign they aren't stupid, or I wouldn't be stupid for standing there looking at the door in confusion - just sayin is all!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    And yes Veru - isn't it a bit ridiculous? YOu wouldn't believe how many times I see Rpers using that phrase for "eyes" - OY OBNOXIOUS!
    It's not being obnoxious.. x3 It's just, you can only type one word so many times before, as a writer, you feel a dire need to use some other word or phrase. It's a good creative writing habit taught (at least it was to me) in grade school. :P

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

As an alternative to "eyes", I tend to use "peepers" or "windows to the soul" before going for the "occular orbs" bit. They seem friendlier somehow.

It reminds something about a man who was alone at the beach, near the water, looking at the ocean... then, a woman comes, and asks him:
    -Is there enough water to swim?
    -Yes, I think... *points at the water
    -Ok... *goes to swim

I've seen that somewhere on the web: P

The "best" thing of pointing out how stupid the things are OTHER people say is that one can feel so superior even when one is stocking groceries.

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Not sayign they aren't stupid, or I wouldn't be stupid for standing there looking at the door in confusion - just sayin is all!
    Especially when there are *two* large signs on the door with clear instructions on what to do if the door is closed/locked. lol.

The "best" thing of pointing out how stupid the things are OTHER people say is that one can feel so superior even when one is stocking groceries.
    Not sure if that was meant to be a barb thrown at me for making fun of the customer in my OP, but to be honest, I'm a fairly easy to get along with guy IRL.

I'm one of THE most polite people when I'm at work, but there are times I just can't... I'm sorry I just can't fully cover-up the shock/amazement when someone says something *really* stupid.

I mean, honestly. You walk up to someone, ask them where something is. Hey, that's cool. But to proceed and walk right up to a door, with two *large* signs telling you Exactly what to do, and then proceed to run someone down to ask them how to get in?

That's.... a bit too much. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcei View Post

You may like this site, its packed full fo stupid customer quotes!
    Thanks... -_- I've now spent most of my evening on this. I'm on page 25...

Quote Originally Posted by Shian View Post
    Thanks... -_- I've now spent most of my evening on this. I'm on page 25...
    It, and http://www.tvtropes.com are very awesome for wasting large amounts of time.

*grins*

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    It's not being obnoxious.. x3 It's just, you can only type one word so many times before, as a writer, you feel a dire need to use some other word or phrase. It's a good creative writing habit taught (at least it was to me) in grade school. :P
    No no, Raptress - I dont mind it if I see it once in a story, or once in sometone's written history.

Its just that every time *I* see it used, its used OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. Its not just "eyes" this time and "orbs" this time and "windows into the soul" this other time. No no, they just stick with "occuluar orbs" over and over again.

So yes, I find it obnoxious. As a writer, as a longtime Rper, I get creative writing. I don't get using an excessive term for something simple - repeatedly over and over again.

And it just seems like "occuluar orbs" is very popular in the last year or two - as this is when this trend seemed to start and now I'm seeing it everywhere lol.

Such phrasing I'm expecting on the "worst paragraphs of the year" awards - where people try to insert as many extraneous words as possible when describing something.

But no, using it once in a story or a history isn't the problem.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Veruliyam View Post
    "It was a dark and stormy night..."

"...and my occular orbs could not make out anything in that weather..."
    I couldn't resist!

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    "...and my occular orbs could not make out anything in that weather..."
    I couldn't resist!
    LOL - naw it be more like

It was a dark and stormy night. The dampening bright field of electrical display from the moisture laden clouds hampered my grey-dusk occular orbs in such a way as to make my attempt at walking in the constant barrage futile.

Something like that would be more fitting when I read the "occular orb" word usage for the rest of the sentence .
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Iea has returned.

Thread Information