Thread: Dishonesty and Laziness

Default Dishonesty and Laziness

I know it is redundant as it has been discussed before and there is nothing that the devs can or really do when we use public silos.. but I have to get this off my chest. A few days ago (3/3/10), A guild member was gathering resources for a building project out at Snowfell, had already created some 2000+ slate bricks when she returned to find three players at the silos by the machines. She opened the silos that she previously put her finished product in, noticed it was empty and decided to remove what she had just placed only to discover that those resources too, were gone. When asked, the three players denied any knowledge of what had happened. So far all fine.. except, hello, the mats disappeared while only you were standing there. This guild member put in a ticket, and was basically told the above, that can't do anything.. blah blah blah, but it was also mentioned that the "above named players were wrong in what they were doing.." essentially catching them in their lies and indicating, to me at least, that all three were a part of this.

Now, this guid member is one of the nicest, kindest, and most helpful people I know. She would go out of her way to help anyone that has asked, dropping what she is doing at the moment to go help. To have this happen, she was more mad at herself for being mad, but I am mad more at the fact that we have built a helpful and generous community only to have that image ruined by three thoughtless, inconsiderate, turds. If they had asked, she would have helped them, if they had admitted taking the resources, she would have said, "No problem," but they didn't. They acted like thieves and cowards, out only for themselves.

I am irked at my own reaction and that it is taking me time to move on. I know that I will not willingly or actively help any of the three players, and unfortunately for the time being, it will affect how willing I am to help others out as well. I will get over that in time I am sure, but only time will tell.

Sorry that this wasn't a true rant in nature, have had some time to cool off, but thanks for listening anyhow.
    Master Annai Aditu of the Storm
    Proud member of the Order of the Talon, Chaos
    "I'm a fair, fragile flower of femininity...and if you don't believe me I'll rip your face off!"

Default Re: Dishonesty and Laziness

I am kind of surprise we still have public silos just because of events like this. It really doesn't matter how amazing the community is or how nice people appear to be. It has been shown time and time again, given the opportunity... people will take advantage of it. Maybe consider trying a plot set to guild only or making friends with the owner of the plot and having a few silos switch to "friends" only. There is also storing stuff in the vault if you have the room and can find a vault nearby.
    If anything, I would say storing stuff in the consigner is better than a public silo. It doesn't mean they can't still take it from you. But atleast you get the feedback (while you are online) that so-and-so took this and in this amount. That way there is no "denying" it. I caught one person taking the stuff out of the connie and putting it into the pawnie for fast cash and continued to do so even after I told him they weren't for sale but storage. So I reported him to the guildleader who informed me this wasn't the first time he caused trouble and proceeded to kick his behind out of the guild. The members were even nice enough to collect the resources I had lost.
    Many people will tell you not to dwell on this and to not let it change you because then "they" win. Personally, I've been there and I can say you'll never forget and you'll never let it go, not entirely. And you shouldn't, because if it has happen once, it will again. Just gotta learn from it and not give them an opportunity next time.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

I know, it isn't worth it to hold the frustration. Main point was to get it out there so I wasn't holding it in and give me something to do while the person it affected decided if she would like us to talk to the guild the three players were in.
    Master Annai Aditu of the Storm
    Proud member of the Order of the Talon, Chaos
    "I'm a fair, fragile flower of femininity...and if you don't believe me I'll rip your face off!"

What made this event an even bigger slap in the face, is that our guild member - the one that had the resources stolen from her - had, just a few days before, helped one of the thieves through his RoP...basically walked him through the entire quest.

Just to turn around and essentially give her the figurative finger, like this....

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthas View Post
    What made this event an even bigger slap in the face, is that our guild member - the one that had the resources stolen from her - had, just a few days before, helped one of the thieves through his RoP...basically walked him through the entire quest.

Just to turn around and essentially give her the figurative finger, like this....
    o man that is so low i don't even have words to express my disgust.
    it is unfortunate that such peeps have found their way to our home.
    they are here and we must live with that situation, but it still sux and you are still right to air it out in public, in my opinion - i do the same thing when it happens on blight, which is not often, thanx the gods.

ah well, i am a great believer in karma - they will get theirs in spades!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Stuff like this unfortunately happens. However, when it does, I've seen the community pull together and make up for the loss, both in resources and in heart.

When I lost something out of a silo, not only did my guild help get it back, but a couple of people I had never met before as well, not in guild.

that really does suck

on one of my previous stints of playing HZ( as we called it back then) i had something very similar happen to me. The memory of that day still forces me to not use public silos and to only list storage items in connies at high prices.

The trust is so hard to give back and hearing stories like this prove that i still cant.

Just to add (as they are my silos), I dont think I'm going to turn them off as they are used a lot, its just unfortunate that someone decided to steal from them.

There is a connie public on the plot next door in snowfall that can be used to store items (I think xan suggested).

I would also like to know which guild it was that took the items so I can warn my guild not to help them in the future. You can't post on here as it will be censored so send me a tell in game.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

Just to update:

All the parties involved in this incident have since apologized AND have more than compensated our guildmate for the resources she lost. I believe they (the perpetrators) are sincerely repentant...

As far as I - and my guildmate - are concerned, all is forgiven and for our part, we harbor no further ill-will towards these players.

I figure since this was made public (in these forums), that the resolution of the issue should be here, too.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

it is to their credit that admissions and apologies were made by those at fault.
    such actions are deserving of a second chance, if sincere.
    let us hope this episode is an example to us all!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information