Thread: "Transfer to Chaos?" "How Dare You?!"

Default "Transfer to Chaos?" "How Dare You?!"

Why is someone automatically a terrible person for suggesting that someone who doesn't roleplay on Order transfer to Chaos?

Order is the role-playing enforced shard. That is the exact wording off the web site. "Role-playing enforced". It's an RP server, you guys.

If someone doesn't RP, and has no drive to RP in the future, why is it a bad thing to suggest they try Chaos rather than Order?

Chaos has more players. More people to play the game with, since, if you don't RP, all you're doing is playing the game. On Chaos, you will likely have an easier time going out to hunt epic mobs, or finding more builders to help with your plot, or finding more hunters to get you your comps.

Am I the only one who sees suggesting a non-roleplayer transfer to Chaos as a logical suggestion and not a cardinal sin?

I just.. I don't get it.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Default Re: "Transfer to Chaos?" "How Dare You?!"

Speaking from a player's point of view (and I realize even as I type this that I can't just do that here, but I'm going to say it anyway)... If someone told me to go play on another shard, whatever the reason, I wouldn't feel very welcome there, that's for sure. And if they came to the game expecting that the Istarian community is one of the best in the gaming world, and friendliest, it would be even more "off putting" to me to be told to transfer to another shard, again, no matter what the reason.

Like I said, that's my feeling as a player.

I suspect it has to do with the person feeling rejected by those on Order, especially if they have established friends on the role-playing shard.

Tone, wording and context may make a huge difference to how it is taken, too.
    Suggesting "If you don't want to roleplay then why not play on Chaos instead?" to someone already on Order can seem rejecting. Asking them, "If you don't want to roleplay, are you considering playing on Chaos instead?" lets them feel like they are the ones who are deciding where would be best for them to play, not that they are unwanted.

Just my impression from what little I've read about the situation on these forums.

Never mind the fact that a transfer costs money...
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Quote Originally Posted by Velea View Post
    If someone told me to go play on another shard, whatever the reason, I wouldn't feel very welcome there, that's for sure.
    I would agree with this if it were a case of someone just telling you to change shards. But I'm going to try and put you in different shoes, so perhaps you can better understand what Raptress is trying to say.

You're a part of Order, and the Order shard is most of what you know about the game in its entirety. You're saying to a group of people how you're not really enjoying your time there to which they suggest you start getting into roleplay. You, however, don't wish to roleplay and only wish to hunt and the reasons why you can't find much drive to play the game is because of the lack of hunting parties and server activity. This group then suggests you'll have a better time with the game over on the more active and hunt-centric shard.

Raptress isn't talking about just suggesting someone swap over to another server under just any circumstance, she's talking about suggesting that someone might find more enjoyment on another server for *x, y and z* reasons that they're unable to find on their current server.

I understand that there is an offensive manner in which to tell another player to try Chaos, along the lines of "Get off our server if you don't RP." I also understand that it doesn't have to be worded offensively to be offensive. That isn't what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is when someone makes the suggestion because they honestly feel that the player would be happier on the other shard. I understand that this can still be taken the wrong way, but it's also a fact that some non-roleplayers are going to feel unwelcome on Order if they stay. A catch-22, I guess, but that's the way it is.

Sometimes though, I think some players just don't realize they've joined the RP server. E.g., there was a new player who came into Dragon, I think, and seemed unaware that Order was a roleplay shard at all. They asked what brackets meant and, after it was explained, they asked if the other server required brackets. The answer was no, and that player logged out and I haven't seen them since. My conclusion is that they joined Chaos because they didn't want to deal with being a non-RPer on an RP shard.

This makes me wonder: does anything on the launcher indicate that Order is a roleplaying shard when making a new character? The website says it, but I've seen new players who didn't even know about the website. If it doesn't, perhaps it should? "Make a New Character on Order (RP)" or some such?

And anyway, that's not exactly what I'm getting at. What I'm really getting at is the fact that anyone who makes that suggestion (or even tries to make a player aware that they are on the RP server), no matter how polite they may put it, is automatically a terrible person in the eyes of some people.

That is why, on the order shard, there is an often active channel called "happy hunt", where "not at all RPing" players come to hunt together, to help each other and to spend a good OoC time.

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    That is why, on the order shard, there is an often active channel called "happy hunt", where "not at all RPing" players come to hunt together, to help each other and to spend a good OoC time.
    This doesn't change the fact that there's nowhere near as many active hunters on Order as there are on Chaos. Besides, I hardly even hear about this 'Happy hunt' channel, nor do I even see it very full. The only time I ever hear about this channel even being talked about is when someone is about to leave. Where are the people in this 'active channel' when there are new players in NT and DC looking around for people to help them hunt because personally I've never seen or heard of them outside the occasional mention in the forums.

Just because a server/shard is a RP shard doesn't mean that the people playing there have to RP. I usually play on RP shards in most MMOs I play on (if they are available), but I don't RP. What I do like, however, is that you often get fewer OOC discussions in general chat, fewer crazy names, and so forth.

But, if someone chooses not to RP that is their choice, not yours or anyone else's.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

For me it would depend on te situation. Is the person just minding his/hers own business but just doesn't want to RP. Then it's rather rude to suggest to move their business elsewhere.

Is said person complaining about the fact that everybody else is RPing a friendly suggestion to take a look at chaos is in place.

I guess RP people don't want (too much) non RP people running around cause they "taint" the shard?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Just because a server/shard is a RP shard doesn't mean that the people playing there have to RP. I usually play on RP shards in most MMOs I play on (if they are available), but I don't RP. What I do like, however, is that you often get fewer OOC discussions in general chat, fewer crazy names, and so forth.

But, if someone chooses not to RP that is their choice, not yours or anyone else's.
    You're missing the whole 'person is finding little reason to stay playing the game because they don't roleplay and can't hunt as much as they would like' factor, Amon.

I have no desire to dictate that someone on the RP shard must RP and if they don't they should leave. I am in no way suggesting that non-RPers are "undesirables" or "taint the shard." (I would, however, prefer that the player be aware they are on the RP server.)

If a non-RPer is happy with being on Order and sees no reason to change things, then by all means they are welcome to stay. What I'm referring to is a player that doesn't RP and complains that it is difficult to hunt/find players to group with/get builders for their plot/etc. All situations that Chaos' higher player count and focus on gameplay can help with.

The only point I'm getting at is that anyone who suggests a player try Chaos, even if they are polite and honestly believe that Chaos will serve the player better, is seen as bad person for making that suggestion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I highly suggest everybody read this (The above post by Raptress) and understand the OP's meaning behind the thread before posting further.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrion View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I highly suggest everybody read this (The above post by Raptress) and understand the OP's meaning behind the thread before posting further.
    I find this a really weird (and a "bit" insulting) post.

Is there a certain way you want people to post? Or would you like to explain the OP's meaning a bit further? Just in case other people don't get it? Should one run his/hers post first through you?
    I would think the OP is asking peoples opinion on the matter, do you only want to read specific opinions?

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    I find this a really weird (and a "bit" insulting) post.

Is there a certain way you want people to post? Or would you like to explain the OP's meaning a bit further? Just in case other people don't get it? Should one run his/hers post first through you?
    I would think the OP is asking peoples opinion on the matter, do you only want to read specific opinions?
    If one is going to be 'a "bit" insulting' to the original post by putting forth points and opinions that either suggest something that wasn't said such as "I guess RP people don't want (too much) non RP people running around cause they "taint" the shard? ", or disregard the the entire point of the post, then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Heh. If I were earnestly seeking other people's opinions, this wouldn't be in "rants." I was under the impression that a rant forum was for, well, rants. xP Akrion is right though, I am seeing what I meant by my original post being overlooked or taken in directions I never meant for it to go.

Quotes like "I guess RP people don't want (too much) non RP people running around cause they "taint" the shard?" and "But, if someone chooses not to RP that is their choice, not yours or anyone else's." are distressing to me, as I wasn't even going into a subject like the one those quotes suggest.

I don't have any particular problem with non-RPers as a whole. At all. Honestly, I'm kind of wishing that I'd managed to hold my tongue at this point as it seems obvious nothing good is going to come of this thread because it's so close to other, semi-related issues that tend to bring out the fire. x3

Again, my first post was never, ever about my not wanting non-RPers on Order or thinking that they should all be on Chaos. It was about the fact that anyone who suggests that a player move to Chaos, no matter the motive, is generally jumped upon as being in the wrong even if they honestly thought that Chaos would better serve that particular player. It doesn't seem to matter what the context is, that suggestion is never met kindly by anyone who overhears, even if they aren't involved, it seems.

This thread is heading no where positive fast, so locking it down.

Everyone is entitled to expressing their opinions on something if you make a post... but when it becomes what this thread is heading to be (a quarrel over who's "allowed" to say what), there's no point in letting the thread continue.

Let's all try to get along

Thread Information