Thread: Furniture?

Default Furniture?

Good morning Istarians, I am a long time player who has taken a break from the game for quite a while now. I saw that there was an expansion announced Dralnok's Doom. Istaria is finally getting some more dungeons yay! Now on to the point of my topic. I know the load times for furniture would be insane, especially going in to a big down if it was trying to load all those resources at once. What about instanced housing? Is that or indoor furniture around yet?

I had a beautiful plot in Forest Guard and a lair in Greyling, the lair I still have some resources from, but someone bought my plot while I was gone and stripped it. So far I have not been able to bring myself to come back to Istaria fearing it may happen again. Though furniture would have me trimming my waistline, to try to come back. Soo is it in yet? Are there any plans for it in the future? I know it was part of the first expansion which did not actually exist when the game was purchased this most recent time.

Have a great day!

Mearis / Segorian_bounty
    Segorian_Bounty - Elder Adult Dragon - Chaos
    Mearis - Saris - All around biped crafter - Chaos
    ....Toooo many alts to list them all

Default Re: Furniture?

It is not in yet and it probably will never get in the game.
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

As we don't have instancing at all - I dont even know if the engine can "instance" anything. No, housing is still not instanced. The dungeon isn't either..actually .

No, furniture, as had been said again and again by the devs, is just not going to be an option unforutnately, due to lag and how the engine works.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

You're too busy hunting or crafting to sit down!

Never mind a lie down.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

once opon a time, furniture did exsist. you can find some around different places but as others said due to engine n lag its not gonna happen. But that does not mean they tried.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...1214146060.png

feel free to browse all 30 pics of the old istaria. (wish i could get that char eraced to use the name )

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

ah, old skewl.........
    thanx for the trip, zanu
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

You can see lots of furniture in New Trismus, Kion, and the new Dalimond (as well as some in places like the Cleric's Tower and Observatory Outpost). But, unfortunately it is simply for decoration and is not functional.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Nice pix, thnx bai .

The last one is particularly intriguing. Where and when?

A coupla guesses; from beta, in one of the earlier terrain configurations around the Blight Fortress, (The Wedge). There was a "hidden, very very secret" path that was the only way to reach The Wedge. The lack of blight evironmental effects is what suggests early beta.

Or, pre-merge, just at the "back door" to one of the major blight areas; the guild used to go there to farm coin off of the undead dragons...
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Amon, you said furniture is for decoration only, as many items in the game, cant click on them they are part of an idle landscape so to speak, but there are items that can be highlighted with a description, benches chairs etc...i myself do want furiture due to the fact im already way too lazy ingame now, last thing i need is an easy chair
    Last edited by Gothos; March 10th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.

Gothos of Chaos, second Saris of Istaria to achieve adventure rating of 278

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    You can see lots of furniture in New Trismus, Kion, and the new Dalimond (as well as some in places like the Cleric's Tower and Observatory Outpost). But, unfortunately it is simply for decoration and is not functional.
    I know this subject got kinda dropped but...

If there is still some furniture existing in these areas you stated Amon, why can't players build furniture for their plots?
    I mean, perhaps even make a new crafting class for making and decorating furniture and such, that way people can have more then just baskets in their homes.

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    I know this subject got kinda dropped but...

If there is still some furniture existing in these areas you stated Amon, why can't players build furniture for their plots?
    I mean, perhaps even make a new crafting class for making and decorating furniture and such, that way people can have more then just baskets in their homes.
    Because the system is not setup for players to be able to build furniture. And because it would cause an insane amount of lag (on top of what can already be an insane amount in some player towns).

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

We already have baskets and such, so I was surprised that there wasn't any options for tables which makes the RP tavern we're trying to build look a bit... empty. Thanks for answering though and maybe I can find a basket that looks table-enough to pass for the RPers.
    Shiarla Deneath | Veeka Sarahnk | Tryll Fallenleaf

A Fantasy MMORPG Parody

We could always try to get them to make instanced buildings instead of updating the adventure classes (neo).
    Members of The Eyes of Istaria on Chaos; Swordmage on the Wiki.
    Bipeds: Gwendora and Flinq Armstrong
    Dragon: Gildenstern

Quote Originally Posted by SwordMage View Post
    We could always try to get them to make instanced buildings instead of updating the adventure classes (neo).
    One is client, one is content. Very different beasts and very different people. The client work is NOT going to happen I'm afraid. Sorry folks.

Since the thread is active and Amon's answering -

I really have no idea how graphical content works - but does it make any difference if the furniture is "one piece" with the house itself? Ala instead of crafting furniture and placing it, there would be just images of furniture in the house as part of the house itself. Kinda like a window or a chimney "Image" is.

So you'd just craft your "dwarven house" or whatever and its a generic display on the inside that has like paintings and furniture instead of just empty walls?

I have no idea if that makes any difference to the engine or lag. I just thought if it considered it all "one item" as a whole maybe it was rendered/created differently.

I've always meant to ask if it worked that way?
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Lightbulb Re: Furniture?

I think the resource manager DOES do instancing, but the object list isn't organized by object type, and parsing of object-lists is limited to one item per frame.

Two things are needed really before we do more fluff on plots:

1) server-side re-organization of the world object lists so that instead of having each object listed separately, you instead have an object, followed by a list of transforms and override properties, allowing all of them to pop at once.

2) client-and-server side re-organization of how objects on plots are referenced and displayed.

It's a long term kind of performance and fluff thing, but not unreasonably difficult to pull off when more pressing things aren't on the front burner. (like, say, putting saddles on dragons would be, or adding an underwater game-play component)

Quote Originally Posted by Fridlekh View Post
    like, say, putting saddles on dragons
    Given that my gnome is little and in roleplay gets picked up by dragon claws on occasion, I figured rather than a saddle it would be more of a foreleg strap-yourself-tightly thing - particularly since it'd be easier for the dragon to deal with an unruly passenger that way. I wonder if for adult vs. ancient some size restrictions would apply (e.g., only ancients could carry half-giants)?

Given that the idea of decorating with furniture is largely dead, I wonder what the chances would be of adding static furniture to house graphics. It would be part of the house graphic itself.

That would resolve some of the "empty" feeling.

Thread Information