Thread: looking for advice

Default looking for advice

So while working on some crafting I have been looking over what adventure schools might be fun/fight my play stlye.

I was initially thinking of paladin but after reading some articles I am questioning that choice as it appears that they do not get a lot of heals and do not deal a whole lot of dmg either.

So what I am looking for is what type of class would best fit one of the two playstyles below. With either style I am loking at something that would hopefully not have a lot of down time between fights and is solo friendly. Meaning if the class can kill but takes ages n ages to kill then its probably not the best for me at least solo wise

Playstyle one: A ranged DPS based, willing to give up survivablity for the ablity to either burst a target down or to effectively kite them/keep them at bay while I remove their health. Yet if something does get into melee range of me its not game over for me.

Playstyle two: Heavy armor character that can stand on their own, do respectable DPS and is solo friendly.

I am not looking to do to much multiclassing at this point. Perhaps having one main school high enough that I can work on my primary goal(crafting) for now. Perhaps later once I get a hold on crafting and what not then I can come back and play with adventure schools more and develope a more hybrid build.

Oh and on the last note, in prior games I have always been the group healer. Have not been really allowed out of that mold as no one else would play the healer and we always needed them for grouping. I have played ranger types as well and enjoyed them. Mages can be trickie for me, they are either very fun or very fustrating for obvious reasons lol.

I do like the idea of my dwarf in chain/platemail as it seems more role appropriate to me. However I am willing to by pass that for leather/cloth as well as I have played games where a dwarf fits that role as well(healing types etc but not so much rangers lol. Perhaps I can be that odd dwarf the likes to plink things with his bow.)

Thanks for any advice in advanced.

Default Re: looking for advice

I mainly adventure on my dragon toon, so my experience with biped adventuring is a bit limited, but here is my take:

Style 1: level an archer to 100 and then obtain (beg, borrow, steal, loot) a Demon Flurry Bow. For specific school, I'd probably go with either Ranger or Elemental Archer. With Ranger, you can use a bow, for the range, and still get a bit of cool Life-skill stuff (CoT, Heals). With the ELAR the school+Energy Arrows+Demon Flurry will pretty much keep anything that you go after perpetually stunned, before it can even come close enough to touch you.

Style 2: Reaver. Can wear plate, half of it's offensive weapons transfer health from the mob to you, and a third of them do ethereal damage (normal armor is ignored). Nothing matches them for full-on liberal applications of serious whoop-arse.

Anyhoo...just some food for thought, until someone with more bi-ped adv experience chimes in....

Cleric
    Platemail and heals
    Nice to play solo

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

For Mithril Platemail on 100 Cleric one must either be a Dwarf or have a second adventure with 10 armor use per level school to get to 910 armor use.

Knossos

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    Cleric
    Platemail and heals
    Nice to play solo

platemail and heals - i got the most vivid mental pic of a fully armoured fighting machine with 6 inch manolo stillettos charging into a fray of undead.....
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    platemail and heals - i got the most vivid mental pic of a fully armoured fighting machine with 6 inch manolo stillettos charging into a fray of undead.....
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of something like this...
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Thank you all for the suggestions. For some reason I thought reavers only could wear chainmail or less. Defiantly looking at their skill tree a bit closer now.

And looking at a few others that folks have kindly suggested. Greatly appreciated as the list of possible classes is a bit overwhelming for someone new/getting back into things. Perhaps one day in the long future I will look at taking a few up for a broader skill pool.

@the rest of you Sorry only way this dwarf will be wearing heels is if I get to drink to much again. And that only happened once and that gnome said she got rid of the pics!

Quote Originally Posted by velveeta View Post
    he, those manolos can be deadly (mostly for the one wearing them I think )

Hurray! Mor
    rison is back at his house near Bristugo!
    And the wisps on wis
    p isle are moving again!
    If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.

Elemental Archer would be my choice for number 1, flame arrows at a long range will certainally burst down mid range hp mobs. Ranger can get dark cyclone spell too if u have the nature skill but Elar gets burning archer epic spell (awesomeness)

for 2 id say Paladin since is what i play best /shrug

Thread Information