Thread: Phoenix in Shadow

Default Phoenix in Shadow

(Part one of Ausixen's story so far. More to follow as I get around to it.)

Years had he lived. Ausixen reflected on those years now, because now his heart was in jeopardy. The weight of his foolish action was tearing him apart. Keir a’meo was the only one who ever mattered to him, because keir a’meo was the only Dragon that Ausixen had ever known.

And he had killed him.

Ausixen hadn’t returned to the lair since that time. How could he? He had been living in a cave on New Trismus of all places. He felt like he had come full circle, in a way. Perhaps this is where he was supposed to be? After all, he had spent most his life cut off from his fellow dragon, for he had learned nothing but betrayal in his youngest years. Wyrms, all of them! Not like the Dragons of Old. None alive could live up to their magnificence and splendor, their magnanimity and wisdom, their patience or their strength! Only Keir a’meo, and he…

He had killed him.

Perhaps he was wallowing in self-pity; but that was what Ausixen had, for no one else would pity him, nor would he allow it. He had been by himself since his parents broke their sacred Bond and utterly alienated themselves from him. Ausixen would not accept pity then, either. He had disowned his own parents and took his life into his own hands. He had become his own clan, the Ausi – those who fly. And he had always kept his wings high.

“Technically speaking, you’re not my grandson since you disowned them both, you know,” Maekrux had said.

“Then keep Ieo as student,” he had said, golden eyes brimming with anger and fear.
    “And what will nieo do that I should allow that, mm? If you’re going to live here, you’ve got to help out, too,” the ancient had said.

“Ieo… Ieo will be great student! And Ieo will watch lair! Ieo will protect lair!” the purple with swirling blue decals exclaimed.
    “Aorban, Ieo am Darastrix – Eilert, Ieo am Dragon. Do you suggest Ieo cannot defend my own home?” his once-grandfather demanded.

“D’na! But… Ieo only hunt when nieo sleep, and Ieo be in lair always, until Ieo older. Ieo wish to live as Dragon did – grow slowly, become true Darastrix. Ieo protect while nieo sleep and are away,” Ausixen argued to the best of his ability.

Maekrux smiled. He would have kept his grandson anyway. “A’na. So shall it be then. Ieo shall teach nieo how to operate k’ieo wards that protect k’ieo lair.”

And so he did. Over the years that followed, Maekrux taught his grandson many things; he had taught him much of the Prime and of fighting with his claws. He had taught the great stories of draconic history, and even some biped history at which Ausixen had scoffed. He had taught him the sacredness of the lair and of a dragon’s possessions. He had taught him some of the secret Star Runic – at least enough to use the wards made from them – and he had taught him the Dragon Virtues. But Maekrux was always worried about his grandson, for his grandson was so very angry with the world.

“Aorban, Ieo have spoken of Honor with nieo,” he said one day.
    “A’na! A Dragon must have Honor. It is the tailwind of Pride, the wings that guide it!” the purple exclaimed happily, trying desperately to show what he had learned.

“This is true, but to say it is one thing. Do you have Honor?” the blue asked.
    Ausixen puffed up his chest. “A’na! Ieo have great Honor!”

“But Honor is found in the eyes of others. You live here in my lair and know little of your kyn, and they of you,” Maekrux said.

“So? Ieo have nieo. Do nieo see Ieo as a Dragon of Honor?”
    “Well…”

“Ieo have great Honor!” Ausixen exclaimed. Maekrux frowned, but the hatchling was too Prideful to see it. He was staring at the blood on Ausixen’s paws, for he had been too rough with Maekrux’s other wards.

Ausixen had struck Maekrux’s servant, Janys, only hours before. The saris was a truly pitiful creature and Ausixen delighted in tormenting him. He delighted in being powerful. Maekrux understood why Ausixen acted as he did. Ausixen liked being in control, because he had not been able to stop his parents from breaking their Bond. The blue always believed his grandson would grow out of it.

“A’na. But,” Maekrux said, switching gears seamlessly, “Nieo has been disrespecting my property. This is dishonorable.”

Ausixen’s earfins pinned back against his head. “Ieo am sorry keir a’meo. Ieo will try harder.”

He certainly tried, for his grandfather’s sake. But instead of stopping completely, he instead grew more clever, leading Maekrux’s servants into dangerous situations in ways that made them take the blame. Even worse was his hatred for Maekrux’s hatchlings. The ancient dragon loved to adopt; each one Ausixen saw not only as a rival, but as a Wyrm. Some, he would malice just to prove his theory right. But in time, even this began to change.

He had chased Birdragya, a red that looked much like Ausixen’s mother and - at the time - Maekrux’s youngest daughter, into a hollow log. He had been roughhousing with her, batting her about, showing the strength and Pride he had gained over several years. She was already bleeding from that, but she wasn’t hiding out of fear. She had merely thought it was all a game.

“Hey little wyrmling, you know how to breathe fire yet?” Ausixen asked her.
    “D’na!” She exclaimed happily.
    “It’s easy. Puff out your chest and spit as you breathe. Go on, try it.”

The purple’s sinister sneer was but a happy smile to Birdrayga. That was how her uncle always looked at her. “A’na!” She did as instructed. Ausixen wasn’t sure if she could really do it, but she did. The fire came out and immediately ignited the log. “Look! Iea did it!” she exclaimed happily. The log began to burn around her; though the fire was of no consequence to her scales, the smoke was another matter to her young lungs. “Iea love nieo, Ausi!” she exclaimed, even as she began to choke on the smoke. She backed up some, but soon fell gasping for untarnished air. Ausixen just watched as her form was wreathed in flame.

He lifted his wings and leapt onto the log, tearing the burning wood in half with his claws and fishing his niece from the smoke and flames. Dragging her away and curling protectively around her, he watched the flames as they danced on the log. He listened to the sound of her lungs clearing. His eyes were wreathed in tears, but he didn’t cry. He refused to cry, for her, or for him. He would be an Honorable Dragon.

But he had killed him.

From then on, Ausixen was kinder to Maekrux’s adopted hatchlings; even to the three lain by the Pink. He took great interest in Maurger as he grew, for in Maurger he saw a little of himself: Maurger had his anger, his Pride, his lack of Honor and good sense. He thought he would tutor the black just as well as Maekrux.

“Look here, Maurger. Is a ward,” he said, showing the black the gems shaped like a dragon.

“Ward?” the hatchling had asked.
    “Yes. Maekrux uses them to protect his lair and you.”
    “Why not protect from sisters? They will not listen to Maurger,” the black said.
    Ausixen grinned. “Nieo need protection from them?”
    “Ieo born last. Ieo treated last. Ieo could not claim nest.”

“Someday, you will be stronger. But until then, you’ll have to be smarter. Bring them before the crystals downstairs, and we’ll give them a little surprise,” Ausixen said.

Maurger led his sisters before the crystal, and Ausixen used them to give them a little shock, which sent the sisters running. Maurger caught the smaller one by the tail and bit into her flesh hard as she ran, but she escaped. Ausixen came down from his hiding place and frowned at the hatchling. “That teach mean sisters!” Maurger exclaimed happily, teeth dripping of dragon blood.

“A’na, but it was enough to scare them. Nieo did not have to hurt them like that,” Ausixen said.

“Nieo wrong! Maurger must prove self, show power; is all they know! Maurger did right thing.” The black lifted his nose and trotted off to the currently empty nest, blood dripping all the way. Ausixen did not follow and correct him. Ausixen did not understand the same as Maekrux did. There was a violent tendency that needed healing – one never shown while Maekrux was around. Ausixen thought he would grow out of it.

He was wrong. He killed him.

“Daza! You must not enter! Maekrux is trapped within!” Ausixen exclaimed that fateful day.

“Ieo know. I will confront the black now,” Daza said. Daza’s mother was not far behind; he had risked trusting her, as Maekrux did. Now was their time to prove his trust.

“Then… we will do it,” Ausixen said. Ausixen led them into the foyer and deactivated the Runic Dragon system, telling them to rush to Maekrux’s aid. From there, he crawled into his secret tunnels that not even Maekrux knew the little purple had carved, and deactivated each of the wards that protected Waere Ulhar Ausixen, the Cave of the Blue Phoenix. At last, he watched from the central control chamber, adjacent to the brood chamber-become-jail cell. He watched as his trust was betrayed again. Daza refused to back down. Amethyr summoned an army of Aegis into the lair. And the Prideful hatchling, who had become an adult by stealing power from both his ‘fathers,’ the black Maurger… he refused to lose. He killed Maekrux, the dragon who Ausixen thought could never lose, right before the purple’s eyes.

And since those days, Ausixen had not returned to his grandfather’s lair.

No, Ausixen thought. Maurger was just the tool. Daza was just the claw. Amethyr, just the talons. Ausixen had let them in. Ausixen had killed his Keir A’meo, the only Dragon that he had ever known. He had killed him.
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

(Part Two of Phoenix in Shadow; these are more current activities and what drove him to begin his ascension rites. On a side note, a big thanks to Ceyra for helping that happen.)

Ausixen had glided into to town and rested on the New Trismus roof for a time. This spot only belonged to one dragon in Ausixen’s mind, but he wasn’t there at the time. This was a good place to think for him; it was here his grandfather had given him a name, as he had hatched while his mother and father were away. He watched the hatchlings and even adults scurry below, feeling some sense of disgust for them as he always did.

One, a little red, was complaining at the time, trying to get one of the older dragons to pay attention to her. Something about longing for a family. It made Ausixen laugh in his bitterness. The little red didn’t appreciate it, but he didn’t engage her. Later, that same red spoke to him, and he even spoke back with some kindness. He could hardly imagine himself doing it, but his mind was clouded and his heart was still heavy with his terrible mistake. He decided instead to isolate himself even further.

He went to Dralk, to Chiconis. He began to train as he had never done so before. He pushed himself to fight harder and harder creatures, perhaps wanting to feel the pain they gave as death was denied to him. Task after task he completed, all with his own four claws. But still, he could not shake that self-bitterness he had, the feeling of regret and agony that he once saw in the Blue Phoenix when he came to Draak’s mountain side at a very young age. It seemed there would be no panacea for his bloody wound.

While leaving Dralk’s floating disk, he spotted several hatchlings running up the road. They were heading towards Char. They were still young; their scales still shone brightly and their claws and scales had not yet toughened to life; there was nothing in Char for them but death… unless.

No, Ausixen realized there was only one place they could be going: an Ascension.

Ausixen had been to an ascension before. He watched his own sister ascend well before her time – even at the peril of her grandfather - and had kept the token granted to him. Ausixen followed the hatchlings and passed them as they spoke to the hermit, begging passage to the Peak of Storms. The dank air of the peak was just right for his mood; its darkness was reflective of his self image. He ascended the Peak, having no problem avoiding the ghosts for his skill. He wanted to see for himself: Was there a Dragon waiting atop this Peak? Or was it merely another Wyrm?

A few had already gathered. Two hatchlings, two adults; and of those adults, he knew both to have ascended before their time. He sneered, but he stayed quiet. He would have been content to watch from his distant cliff, but those present were curious at the uninvited guest. “Ausixen, who are you? Why are you here?� the oddly decaled gold adult asked.

Ausixen was a bit perturbed that someone he did not know had knowledge of his name, and so replied back, “Niea know my name. If niea know that, niea should know enough.�

The blue adult chided the gold, “Don’t be so rude Kura...but I wonder who he is.� She came over to his somewhat distant perch and asked, “Who are you little one?� For some reason, Ausixen seemed familiar to her.

“Ieo am Ausixen,� said the Purple Phoenix, “Ieo do not know if Ieo know you. You are a little big for Ieo.� He held back some of his dislike for her

“What are nieo doing up here? This is dangerous,� the blue said.
    Ausixen shook his head. “Ieo am Dragon. There is no danger for Ieo here. Ieo have not even begun my rites, but Ieo am further developed than many.� He rested back down. Her closeness had made him tense. “So Ieo am here to think. To watch, perhaps, if something happens as ae might.�

“You seem very different then what I have met before...� She trailed off as she inspected the hatchling, as if to make sure he was real.

Ausixen seemed amused at this. “A'na? What have you met before?�
    “Many types of dragons, a'na,� she said, pulling her head back.
    “And niea thinks that niea knows, or knew, k'ieo type?�
    “D'na. Iea d'na know kor type,� she admitted. There was an uncomfortable pause for a moment, as the adult was perplexed by the hatchling. “Well, if we were in older times, this place would have been full of dragons. The Sleeper would have been here. But now it’s gone…�

Ausixen nodded, glad for the change of topic. “A'na. The Sleeper would have been here. This land would have been covered in the Prime Consort's magnificent silver scales.�

“Yes… they have ruined it,� she said.
    Ausixen tried to feel that hate for the bipeds, but his heart was too heavy. He shook his head and then let if fall to his paws, looking out over the burnt hole of a monument, frozen in time. “Ieo should hate the bipeds, and Ieo still dislikes them. But Ieo have little hate left in my heart for any other.� No, he thought, the only one he hated now was…

“You… really are different, young one… really.�
    He looked over at her. She was staring at him from one eye in an odd sort of way. “Is the problem, Ieo think. Am not young one, really. Ieo have lived many years now, like keir a'meo before me, like Dragons of Old.�

The blue had been distracted by something, speaking idly and over him. “Actually, yes,� she muttered, looking into her pack at some odd axe trophy, “There shall be an ascen-� She cut herself off suddenly, looking back to Ausixen as if he had suddenly torn off his scales and become a human. “WHAT? W.. wow.�

Ausixen blinked. “What is it?�
    She spoke breathlessly. “That is... a lot…�
    Ausixen shook his head. Apparently, she had mistaken the amount of time he said he had lived. “Ieo am not *that* old,� he said, at which she chuckled some in relief. “But niea probably knows. Many hatchlings rush through hatchling-hood, all for wings, to fly, and ascend too early. In old times, dragons would wait years to ascend, learn in Draak Academy, learn from parents and community both. Keir a'meo was one hundred years old when he ascended. Ieo am no where near that, but even if I were a year older than k'ieo peers, Ieo am still older than many adults that fly today. And that is sad. We have lost so much.�

The blue with darker decals furrowed her brow. She looked troubled by his words. “I am young, I know... but I am worth for my wings; I have a goal in life… I have many to protect, and there is no one else to protect them.�

“A'na? That is pitiable, too.� He paused; for the first time, it truly was pity. “If were old culture, niea would not have to ascend to protect others. Others would protect ‘til you were to ascend.�

“Things have broken,� she said.
    “A’na. Who can fix them?� he asked. He almost expected her to say that she would.
    She didn’t reply to him, though. Perhaps she did not have one. After all, he did not. Instead she said, “I live now; I try to survive... I try to make them understand we must attack this one I hate - and some others do, but are too afraid to fight... too afraid to put an end.�

Ausixen furrowed his own brow now, thinking about what she had said.
    “So many die,� she continued, “So many lose their life and even the gift… And for what? For a fool.� She shook her head, disgusted.

“And who do you fight?� Ausixen asked. Could he be him?
    “Aeo is… All iea can say of aeo is he is cruel - an awful ancient that gathers hatchlings and makes them fight for him, tortures them to learn them to suffer pain. K'iea adoptive sister was caught by him.�

No, Ausixen thought. This is too crude, too straightforward. That one had changed completely, evolved into something else. But Ausixen knew this one too. “Ieo fight the son, not the father,� he said.

“The....son? What do you mean?� the blue asked. She looked somewhat horrified, but at the same time amazed at Ausixen. She was having a conversion that Ausixen doubted she had ever had with an adult before, and he was a hatchling.

“Ieo was there when Maurger was born. Ieo watched him grow, but Ieo did not watch him change. He changed, though. Became more like his father, but different. More menacing. More... more wrong.� The blue mouthed the name he spoke in wonder. “Keir a'meo, he bested and befriended kor enemy. Aeo at least has Pride of Dragon.� Ausixen wondered what had ever possessed his grandfather to do that in the first place, but Maekrux always saw more in people than he did. “But Maurger... k'aeo pride is twisted.�

The blue seemed to absorb everything, perhaps wondering what horrors she did not know.

“'Maurger became something else. Aeo bested keir a'meo in k'aeo own lair, and trapped him there 'til aeo was forced to kill him. Ieo... helped him do that, in k'ieo own way. Is why Ieo have not been back since.� Ausixen sighed. “The big black may stand big, but he has left an even longer shadow. In the end, that shadow will become even worse.�

“Hmm, indeed... I see.� She stood and stretched her wings. “Iea am living in the wild, to train, to learn myself.� She paused for a time, staring out over the hatchlings that had at last arrived. “...and one day face him.�

Ausixen was no longer sure who she meant to face. “A'na? Many have faced him before. Ieo wish you luck.�

“Thank you… But I will not be alone.� She motioned to the entire group as it gathered to watch the ascension. “I have friends. They are all my friends and are helping me in many ways-�

The conversation might have continued then, but the impatient hatchling for whom all had gathered activated his phylactery and ascended. No speech, no lifesong, no words at all. As the ground shook, as the chaotic energy swirled in violent patterns around the point of ascension, Ausixen did not feel the anger and resentment he had expected. Instead, he wondered the answer to the question to which the young adult could not reply. It was broken. All of it was broken. Who could fix it?

Those present roared for the new young adult. But Ausixen watched the blue. She had someone to protect. She was a young adult, the epitome of what he considered a Wyrm. But she was doing more than he was to help her kyn. She was fighting to protect those that mattered to her, despite the flaws she had.

And Ausixen remembered that he had someone to protect, too.

She watched him as he walked up to the now-vacated perch. While the new adult flew around, he thought to himself. She came behind him. “I really admire you,� she said.

“Ieo am nothing to admire.� With this, he leapt from the perch and glided away. He was nothing to admire, for he had done nothing for which others should admire him. That had to change. “Ieo shall ascend as well. And Ieo will face him, and defeat him where keir a’meo could not.� He paused. Not alone, this time. This time, he would show them all how ascensions should be, even if none listened. He lifted his wings. It was time to stop pretending to be a Dragon.

It was time to become one.
    "Resurgam!"

Default Re: Phoenix in Shadow

Hello... your story is nicely written
    I'd just like to know who is Kura...

(And part three. This one has some combat in it as well as some of what's happening back at Mae's lair. Enjoy!

PS: Thanks Lungtien. Kura is Kurayenna, who was at the ascension Ausixen was crashing at the time. As Ausixen never learned the full name, he only had what Ceyra said to go by - Ausixen never even learned Ceyra's name! He's a stubborn thing...)

Ausixen already knew much of the Rites. He had seen other hatchlings go through it, took note of what they needed, and collected those same items. Ausixen could have ascended with his sister, had he not wished to be a real Dragon. His immediate problem, however, was that all of those items had been left in Waere Ulhar Ausixen – his once home. Returning to it would not be easy for him.

He waited until he was certain Maekrux was asleep, deep in the lair. He was fortunate in that it was not yet the summer months and his keir a’meo had not yet taken to sleeping in the summer lair on the upper levels. Climbing the rough cliff was easy for Ausixen; it was a task he had done many times before, his talon-holds almost like a ladder leading home. But that cave didn’t feel like home anymore; not while his heart was still heavy.

Walking near-digigrade into the lair, he stalked to his possessions, buried in well hidden tunnels in his grandfather’s foyer: scales that his grandfather had crafted him for when he truly needed it; bricks of obsidian and granite; no less than twenty-five silver golem fragments, all he had harvested himself when he was younger; the shimmering and well polished Simulated Tempered Chest Scale, with which Maginval Lunus would adorn his subordinates. Last he pulled out the masterwork claw his grandfather had given him after the events that had set Ausixen’s life into motion. Its citrine-steel framework gave his claws a golden appearance, but they were sharper than even the natural claws which Ausixen had used all his life. Someday, he thought to himself, he will need stronger than these to see his will done.

“What are you doing?” a voice rang out behind him.
    He whipped around, afraid it might be his grandfather. He had not seen him since the three parts of Maekrux had been restored to one. Standing there, however, was one of Maekrux’s servants. “Oh, it’s you. Don’t tell keir a’meo I was here.”

“I will not lie to him if he asks,” she said.
    “Then don’t volunteer any information,” Ausixen said with a snort. He had his things and prepared to leave before the cat could cause him trouble.

“He misses you, Ausixen. He has been terribly worried since you left. Please say something to him,” the saris begged.

“Ieo can’t face him. Not yet. Not until I can lift my wings high again. Let him focus on Kaezala. She’s his last chance.” Ausixen looked down at this. Ausixen could never be the one to restore his grandfather’s bloodline, for Aerioch had not been related to him in blood. That had always weighted on his wings before and he thought he knew what regret was. But no – he did not know regret until he let those not-dragons into keir a’meo’s defiled lair. “D’na,” he said, lifting his head to look back at the saris. “Niea and the others make sure you do everything to make her strong and happy. Ieo do not need help anymore. Twilight does.”

“But…”
    “Niea heard Ieo. Sometimes a Phoenix must rise on his own. Aeo taught me that.” With that, Ausixen scampered out of the lair and glided down to the portal.

Though he didn’t want his grandfather to know he was ascending, he wanted everything else to be the way it should have. In the stories that Maekrux had told to him, aspiring adults would come to the center of the Academy and announce their major milestones in their rites. With Draak Academy gone, there was still the dragon circle, and so that is where Ausixen went to next. Ausixen would show others how to ascend, even if no one would watch.

He looked over the gathered silent and recognized practically no one in attendance. It was quite unexpected for him to be here; after all, this same hatchling had lived safely in Maekrux’s shadow, his hate for the Wyrm he perceived in every other dragon but himself repulsing everyone else away from him. As boldly as he could, he walked out into the center of them, lifted his chest high to demonstrate his Lunus Scale, and looked out over the attending. He let his heart speak his words.

“Ieo am Ausixen Firebourne. Ieo am Dragon. Ieo was raised in the old ways by my keir a'meo, for my parents proved incapable of doing it. Ieo am older than most hatchlings, but that has given Ieo the wisdom and patience needed to reach this moment. Ieo know few or none of you will know the importance of this moment. Or worse, have forgotten it. But of late, Ieo have changed. And it is time for the rest of Ieo to reflect it.” The purple lifted his head proudly, reflecting the Pride of the Dragon he still felt his kyn had lost. “Ieo have officially begun k'ieo rites.”

A new hatchling wandered in carrying a chunk of raw meat. A black with no manners and, it seemed, the only one who was actually listening to Ausixen.

“Ieo have been caretaker of a grand lair. Ieo have faced many creatures, and brought down golems twenty or more seasons above my skill. Ieo have made mistakes; Ieo let terrible things happen to those Ieo cared about. But if Ieo am to stand, Ieo must take a stand, now. May Drulkar bless you all, as Ieo pray He blesses me on my solitary journey.”

A purple with blue tiger stripes stretched, inattentively.

Ausixen stepped down from the center and walked out the way he came. Perhaps they saw the Rites as a mere formality now. Perhaps they were so engrained to believe that they were to be led through them by the stronger, aged dragons, that this was nothing special. But that is why Ausixen did what he had to do. And he would shoulder almost all his Rite on his own wings, as the Dragons of Old.

Each of the Elders he spoke to: the Historian, the Lunus, the Helian; and he chose his path to become a Lunus. Setting his sights first upon the crystal orb, he made his way to Lerena and climbed over the mountain into the crater. The twisted and misshapen rock and metal lay there still, with many golems wandering about. He glided down into the middle of them, ripping and clawing, his powerful talons savaging those he came across with only a few strikes.

Suddenly the enchantment about him was stripped away and the ground broke apart. Below, Ausixen caught a glimpse of a bright crystal glowing and growing just below the surface. From that crystal came a white form, which roared at him with the sound of glass breaking. That roar suddenly brought all of the red molten golems to bear and Ausixen found himself hopelessly outnumbered. Though the Guardians could be dispatched with ease, that many attacking at once tore into his purple scales and made his blue decals run red. He had to escape, but he would not be beaten.

He charged the Crystalline Golem and toppled him, hissing wildly as the red guardians followed after him. Whipping around suddenly, he wrapped his tail around the Crystalline Golem’s foot and dragged him with all his might, like a stubborn cargo disc, the guardians stomping close behind. As the ashen dust billowed up from the dragging of the now-infuriated golem, the guardians became disoriented and stumbled back towards their territory. Only two determined guardians remained. Ausixen tore into them, his gold-tinted claws coated in gold energy as he ripped the red guardians apart with his rage.

A glassy roar and powerful fist knocked Ausixen off his prey. The Crystalline Golem had recovered and was on its feet, looking to crush the purple hatchling. Ausixen stood back up, a refreshing breeze washing over him. Summoning up what little Primal power he had, he healed himself with the rare spell his grandfather had given him, and turned his attention fully to the now exposed golem. As he circled, his mind fled back to everything Maekrux had taught him about golems, his grandfather being a great golem fighter himself. He needed to tear out the primal core that animated the golem or deal enough damage so that the core would rupture. He struck at the crystalline structure and found it did not shatter easily. He would have to break the golem down, piece by piece.

Blow after blow, Ausixen dealt to the creature. Blow after blow he received: a fight of perseverance and will. His blood dripped onto the ashen floor, but his wings and head he held high, his gums pierced with the crystal of the golem. At last, after a battle of near twenty minutes, Ausixen had broken loose enough crystal at the joint of the misshapen golem’s arm. He leapt at it and tore into it with all his strength, talons wrenching and teeth biting until at last the arm came off and fell to the ground, shattering on impact as if it had never been strong at all. The Crystalline Golem shook with rage, trying to get the dragon off of him, but it was too late; digging his hind talons into the beast’s form and his foretalons into the opening, he tore loose the primal core, causing the creature to fall apart. He landed with a thud, breathing hard over his victory, gathering in his talons the chunks of crystal he had ripped from the creature, and returned to the Hermit to forge the orb.

After healing himself and bathing the blood from him, he walked back into the circle of dragons. He didn’t want to speak, as his mouth was still bloodied from the shards he had pulled from his gums, and so merely lifted the crystalline orb to show those assembled his progress. They said nothing. They did not look his way. All seemed absorbed into their own little worlds, conversations that Ausixen had not been privileged enough to hear. They did not know of his tribulations. They did not know of his triumphs.

Perhaps, he thought, that is why hatchlings complete the rites so soon and so young. By necessity, the elders must share in their experience. They do not have Pride enough to stand alone and give meaning to their own accomplishments.

Ausixen did. He hopped down and moved quietly out of the circle the way he came.
    "Resurgam!"

Nice writing again
    In the RP, Kurayenna has been adopted by LungTien Temeraire, that was why I wanted to be sure

Delaware, USA that little state no one knows about XP

Lovely story! Now the things from one of the previous story you wrote are making sense. :O Good stuff.
    Anariah, Callihan, Selarth, Osiron, Asandra, Azayan, and Zefani of the Order Shard
    Want a pic of your character? Click here!

(Part Four of Phoenix in Shadow. Rites almost get completed, but there's almost nothing to the Shadow Dragon fight, so I'll be tacking it on with the ascension itself, or maybe a mini-post later. Speaking of ascensions, I'll be posting up the time for the ascension soon, so check in the main Order folder. I'll also put it in a post after this.

@BrightCat - yeah, sometimes I write cryptically or leave out things, partly because people in the RP know what I'm talking about, partly because I like the mystery, and partly because I like to let the read paste things together on their own. Ausixen has been in Mae's life for many years, so he has a rather unique and certainly hero-worshiping view on the Blue Phoenix, as well as more knowledge about what is going on behind the scenes. It's fun to write about other characters in Mae's life for that reason - it often has the ties that are missing from Mae's limited account.

@Lung - thanks again

@Shian - thanks for the help with the rites. PS: I didn't manage to become a slayer of bugs until the next day when I *finally* got it. ><; )

He looked at himself in his changed mirror. The reflection of what he should be stared back at him: older, stronger, and certainly larger. He wondered what dragons would look like if they grew to the age they ascended – young adults with deformed and diminutive bodies, not quite hatchlings, but not quite adults either. The thought made him chuckle. It seemed out of place in the cold darkness by the Pool of Teeth and perhaps even more out of place from Ausixen. But levity was a welcomed change, however out of place it may have been. Seriousness would follow soon. “The final battles begin now.”

Returning to the Dragon Circle, he looked around the attending. Once more, he saw few he knew, though the faces themselves were beginning to become familiar. He walked to the center and addressed all who would hear him, displaying his newly crafted Statue. “Time grows nearer now. I wish to have a witness to my slaying of the Enslavers, and I will need assistance with both the Entombed and Esh. Are there any who will aid this one?” While the majority of the rite was to be faced alone, part of the test was also working with others and gathering assistance when needed. These parts, certainly, would require help.

A silver-white elder stood. “Iea can, Ausixen,” she said.
    “Ae is appreciated Elder,” he said, though he couldn’t shake the feeling that he knew her somehow.

“Shall I meet you somewhere?”
    He nodded. “I will head to Draak now and speak with the Entombed.” He recalled as the elder flew away.

As he traveled across the shoals to reach the dead isle of Draak, he mentally prepared himself for the trials ahead. He remembered that his grandfather had once told him that the first time he had to slay another dragon, it was the undead of Draak, and it made him ill. He would be stronger than that, for he had a dragon that he had to kill.

He arrived at the resting place of the Entombed. The fettered dragon told him of the enslavers, undead myloc who the Aegis employed to keep him from tearing them apart. Shian, the silver-white, was already waiting for him. He looked to her. “Alright. Ieo go to fight the Enslavers. Ieo will not need assistance.” He scampered off quickly through the blighted landscape.

It was not the first time Ausixen had been here. He saw Maekrux at his lowest, starving himself to death several years ago, on top of that hill. It was for his sake that Maekrux tried to live again – live, at least until he and his sister had ascended. Ausixen had chosen to remain a hatchling in hopes of convincing his grandfather to live. His sister –

He shook the thought from his mind. Now was not the time for past memories. Or…

He leapt upon the Enslaver of the Mind. It was that creature that drew up his memories! The misshapen creature wailed pitifully and shook the hatchling off, retreating back a few feet. It tried to rend Ausixen’s scales with its boney hands, but his scales were too tough for the beast. Ausixen spied its massive abdomen, its obvious weakness, but it did well to move as he did, turning quickly on its chittinous insect legs. Getting close would not be easy.

As he contemplated his next move, the wailing of the myloc had drawn a curious undead hatchling from the blackened hills. Its hatred and pain seethed at seeing Ausixen: a Dragon, as it once was. It leapt at Ausixen. The purple hatchling turned to defend himself, but it was premature. Shian’s paw landed heavily on the undead victim, crushing it from moving. Ausixen knew, as the rotted bones cracked, how his grandfather felt when he had faced his rites. Once she had finished the hatchling off and tossed its corpse back some distance, she sat and watched, as Ausixen had requested. Seeing Shian emboldened him; though he did not need her help, having someone present to watch him in his finest moment was nonetheless a rush. He soon dispatched the myloc, passing on to the next.

He looked around at the shattered dreams, the lost history. A pack of hatchlings struck, nearly slaying him. These hatchlings waited for years for the privilege of going through the Rites, and he – what had he truly done to deserve it? He had not even told his grandfather the truth! He could not face him! Was he truly ready for adulthood? Could he go through with it?

Ausixen growled and lunged over the hill, attacking the Enslaver of Will. His path was set! None would challenge his resolve again! As the black blood of the myloc leaked onto the floor, Ausixen took a deep breath. Shian was behind him. He looked to her. Why was she so familiar?

“That is another,” he said. She nodded. He stalked on, finding his way through the broken city.

The sound of crying hatchlings, their piteous wails of regret and utter despair were carried by the black winds of Draak. How many had fallen here? Their tiny claws had been of no help. The dragons who came to rescue them shared in their fate, torn down on their own soil. The Aegis was a dark and formidable foe. The dragons were so certain they could not be beaten. They were wrong.

“Nieo know, Ieo am stronger,” he heard. Ausixen paused, and looked around. He did not answer back, waiting in silence. “Nieo know what happened to kor grandfather. Ieo knew nieo were there. Ieo figured nieo liked watching. Ieo was saving nieo for very last, because nieo taught me so much… nieo taught me a different type of courage. That’s just the kind of Dragon nieo are…”

Ausixen furrowed his brow. Was this just another trick? Or was the Black really there?

“Kor keir a’meo could not best Ieo in k’aeo own lair. Aeo – or aea, Ieo wonder – lost to Ieo. Nieo think that size really matters? Hatchling, adult, ancient… all will become part of my Ideal Society. Nieo will be a part as well. Become strong, Ausixen… ascend, for all Ieo care. The stronger you become... the more use you will have to me…”

Ausixen tensed, digging his claws into the ground. He was ready to bolt or attack, he couldn’t be sure which.

A bolt of flame struck at the Enslaver of Spirit. It chattered madly and charged at Shian. Ausixen had been just standing there, caught in the myloc’s web. It made Ausixen angry, but he was only angry with himself. He carved his rage into the myloc’s hide and soon, it too, fell.

Ausixen shook himself as he stood before the Entombed. He tried to free his own mind and spirit to focus on the coming battle. This would not be a glorious fight, he thought, for it would be against a powerful and undeserving opponent. But it would be a deadly one. He looked back to Shian, who stood behind him. He would strike first, and test the strength of the Entombed himself. Its avatar rose, the mere eidolon of its will the size of an ancient. Ausixen leapt at its flank and carved into it. The Entombed swatted with its tail, sending Ausixen skidding back to Shian. He knew he would not survive a direct confrontation.

Shian took the charge now, whipping into the face of the Entombed, striking hard with her talons and growling menacingly, drawing the ire away from Ausixen. As the two ancients grappled, Ausixen growled at the insult the Entombed had given him – did the Imprisoned Dragon fight only ancients while the hatchlings watched for so long that he did not know what a true Dragon could do? This time, Ausixen leapt into the flank of the Entombed, digging his claws into its sides and climbing onto its back as though it were the cliff under his grandfather’s lair. Shian bit into the neck of the Entombed, keeping him from striking back while the purple hatchling tore into the eidolon’s back, his small talons like surgeon’s scalpels, bit by bit tearing back the flesh and exposing the bone. The Entombed shook violently, trying to wrest the hatchling from his back, even striking at an odd angle with its tail, smashing into the hatchling with a deafening crack. But both Shian and Ausixen held on, striking with all their force, a battle of brawn and stamina over wit. At last, Ausixen focused all of his primal rage into a single spot on the exposed spine, and at last broke the eidolon’s back.

The eidolon fell, and soon faded. In Ausixen’s paws were the bloodied talons he needed and the Entombed’s blessing rang in his ears. “...it was earned...”

“Well done,” Shian congratulated him.
    Ausixen lowered his head respectfully. “I thank you Elder. I could not have done it without you. But I am afraid I need your help again: I should be ready for Esh too. I will make my way there now.”

“Very well. Iea will meet you there.” With that, the ancient recalled away. Ausixen only allowed himself a deep breath before recalling as well.

He glided over the water and rushed with ease past the wolves of the Frozen Wastes. There was always something about snow that made it easier for Ausixen to think. One of the places he had spent the most time since leaving his grandfather’s lair was that icy tundra. He had been tested. His mind was strong; his will was set. His spirit, however, was still shaken. He chose to deny it for now, turning his thoughts to the elder who aided him. Had he met her at some point in the distant past? But if so, when? Was she a hatchling when he was? Why did it make him feel uneasy?

Gliding down the last of the mountains, Ausixen arrived at Behemoth Lake. Beneath that frozen water were the bones of a long-forgotten creature; who knew what the mind-lasher saw in the place. Shian was already there, waiting for him. Her silver-white scales glittered against the snow and the early morning light. He paused a moment, looking at her. She had not taken notice of him yet, or perhaps not acknowledged him.

“I remember…” he murmured to himself. It had been many, many years ago, when he was still somewhat close to his father. He woke to find the lair empty. He tracked his father down, for even in those days he was a strong and adventurous hatchling. He found his father with a silver-white dragoness, a new and well-groomed adult.

“Ah, son,” his father had said. Ausixen couldn’t remember the rest. He just stared at the silver-white, who looked back in a somewhat awkward and demure fashion. It was then that he learned his father had broken his Bond out of love for this dragon. Had he gone with his father, as his sister did, Shian would not have been a passing elder, performing her duty for an ascending hatchling. Shian would have been his mother.

“Is she here,” Ausixen wondered, his breath cold in the frigid air, “because she is Dragon, or because she is fulfilling a role I would never have let her perform?”

Shian noticed him. He said nothing more, walking up as if he was unaware still. This was his moment and, for whatever reason, Shian was to be a part of it. That was all that mattered. In that moment, he made a connection to another; a deep connection, a meaningful one, one that he had forgotten. He had forgotten what life was like without betrayal.

“Alright. The Lasher is out there,” he said. Shian nodded. He cast his spells of protection and stalked out onto the wastes. Shian followed closely behind.

Ausixen felt a sudden pain in his head, as a nearly invisible spirit suddenly coalesced into a form much like his own. The Lasher could not break his mind or will, but his body might be another matter. The now-hatchling lunged at Ausixen with all the ferocity of the Purple Phoenix himself. Ausixen took the charge, talons wrapping around talons, and rolling in the snow with the spirit-form of himself. As the Mind Lasher carved away at his scales and rent his soul, Shian joined in the fray, knocking the hatchling-spirit back. Now on even ground, it was Ausixen’s turn to attack the creature face to face. With Shian’s help of claw and even mighty spell of Drulkar’s Wrath, he survived the onslaught of the spirit and broke down the form that looked like himself. Soon, he would surpass that form, he thought.

Trapping the mind and spirit energy of the bested lasher into his orb, he looked to Shian again. He wasn’t sure what to say to her. Being alone had taken from him those complexities. For a moment, he knew how she must have felt, back then. “It is done,” he finally said.

“Congratulations,” she replied.
    “I thank you, Elder,” he said, bowing his head again.
    “My pleasure,” she said. She seemed happy.

Ausixen’s spirit was still troubled though, but he was Wise, as a dragon should be. He knew how best to mend it. “When the time comes, I will be attempting the Shadow Dragon alone.” He looked out over the dawn. Yes, a Shadow Dragon, much like him. If Ausixen could beat him alone, then maybe… “I know not if I can best him, but… It is important to me to try. In knowing that, I know how far I will have to go to beat the other.”

“Mmm. It is difficult but do-able,” Shian said, not knowing the extent of his challenge to come, “Iea wish you luck.”

He nodded resolutely. “Thank you again. I have work to do.” With that, he recalled away. One final challenge remained to complete his rites.
    "Resurgam!"

Smile Re: Phoenix in Shadow

Nicely done again. I have found the fights captivating.

((Part 4.5 of Phoenix in Shadow. It's just dealing with the Shadow Dragon and how Ausixen's thoughts are on his ultimate goal. The real Part 5 is soon to follow as I weed out the ascension details.

PS - thank you Nyoko, Selarth, Star, and many others who spoke with Ausixen. I forgot to save the logs, so I didn't edit them in here. >.>; ))

Ausixen stalked once more through the deadlands of Draak. He bested the shadows of Lem and Kaa without difficulty; his wings glided him in and his phylactery, charged with the essence of a true Dragon, slaughtered them utterly. But the Shadow Dragon was to be something more difficult, more challenging. For in Ausixen’s eyes, that dragon had become the shadow of another, more sinister dragon.

Valkoth had explained to him that the Shadow Dragon possessed powers untold of, most prominently that of instant Death – to take one’s shadow and crush it, mirroring the same damage upon the soul. So Ausixen had traveled to the high peak of the Abandoned Isle and forged a scale to turn back the darkness. He wondered if it would have the same effect on the other dragon as it would the Shadow he faced.

Placing that shimmering scale upon his forehead, he crept up to the twisted thorny roots where the Shadow Dragon laired. He remembered that his grandfather had slain the dragon-spirit called The Bright on his own years ago, and steeled himself to do the same. The Shadow Dragon moved. Did it sense his presence? No – it snatched up one of the undead hapless hatchlings and tore its head off, devouring the blight energy within it. He paused at this sight, but only for a moment.

“Alright, Ausixen…” he thought, “Let us see if one dragon can supplant another.” He rose up from his hiding place and struck the Shadow Dragon with a small and insignificant bolt of flame, drawing its attention. He roared as it charged after him, leaving the protection of his lair. Ausixen lured him from his companions and readied the phylactery before him. The ground shook as the tremendous dragon roared at the hatchling’s impertinence: where was the ancient to aid you, little whelp, it must have thought. The phylactery glowed brightly and Ausixen channeled is spirit into it as the dragon barreled down on him.

The orb tore out the Shadow Dragon’s power and ripped the undead beast apart. It fell to the ground as it traveled, skidding to a halt in front of him. The black dust slowly settled.

It was dead. In seconds, it was dead. Ausixen stood amazed at it. Was this really so hard? No, it was not the matter of difficulty – his soul, the soul of a true Dragon, was in it. He had the right tools. His will was unbroken. And his form was certainly up to the challenge.

“Yes,” he said to himself in the cold, stale air of Draak, “this lesson I will learn.”

With the Shadow Dragon bested, his only task was to ascend the peak to ascend the sky, but Ausixen knew he wanted a traditional ascension. He contemplated telling his grandfather, for a speech by family would be needed in the first part of the ceremony, but he decided against it. He had let his grandfather down far too much to ask him to leave the safety and happiness of his lair to give a speech about the spark of a phoenix Ausixen was. Nonetheless, everything else had to be perfect.

He stalked before the dragon circle again and looked to the crowd. Some seemed more interested now, perhaps because he was such an oddity in this day and age: a dragon who desired to be proud. “Ieo have completed my rites and will have a traditional ascension within two weeks. Ieo will provide more details soon.” And that was all he said. He stepped down and left.

Ausixen had another problem with his perfect ascension. Because he had spent so much of his life with a poor view of other dragons, he had never gotten to know anyone. And so, with his mind on the Lifesong he would sing, he traveled to New Trismus and, for that week, met as many dragons as he could, inviting those of good character.

((“You hit Shadow Dragon with Absorb Spirit for 2055803 blight damage.” So much for a fight scene. >.>; ))
    "Resurgam!"

(Part 5 of Phoenix in Shadow. This is the edited log of the ascension itself, which serves the dual purpose of detailing a 'traditional' ascension, as well as Ausixen's thoughts and ultimate goal. A translation of the Lifesong can be found in the post after this, and it essentially details Ausi's life.)

Up until that point, Ausixen had never been very religious. Like most dragons, he never saw that Drulkar did anything for him, and so he did nothing for Drulkar. Compound that with his grandfather being openly against Drulkar for the slights done to him, and it would seem like Ausixen would never look in the direction of the gods. Despite this, however, his mind was on Drulkar as he sat in the shrine of Dralk, purifying himself for the ascension ceremony to come. It helped to put his thoughts and nervousness at ease. A part of him still wanted to be a hatchling, but in many ways, he knew it was too late. His childhood was denied to him by his own claws.

At last he stood, shaking the lava from his scales and stepping free of the shrine. “Alright. It’s about that time,” he said. Others had already gathered: many adults and only one hatchling. He made his final announcement to the circle, and then explained the events to come.

The traditional ascension took place in five stages: The Gathering, where family and friend spoke to those gathered for the ascension of the one ascending; The Proof, either a speech or Lifesong that proves that the hatchling is ready for adulthood; The First Flight, the most common practice still maintained where the new adult flies with others of his kyn; The Revelation, where the hatchling reveals what his focus of study will be; and last, the Wishing of Will, where gifts or words of encouragement are given for the future.

All of these things played through Ausixen’s mind as he led the assembled to the Peak of Storms. He paused at the travel gate, making sure all could sojourn there without fail. As he did, Shian came up to him. “Ausixen, Iea would like to talk to you after the ceremony if you have the time,” she said.

“A’na? Alright.” Ausixen wondered what it was about, but his mind was all-consumed by the events swirling around him. “Ieo will have some time.”

“Good. Thank you then,” she said, leaving through the portal.

He followed with the other hatchling behind him. After a safe trip to the peak, the dragons gathered around the semi-circle ledge and Ausixen took his place on it, feeling rather uncomfortable with so many dragons looking at him. It wasn’t like the Dragon Circle, where he went largely ignored; now he was the center of their attention and it was a supremely odd feeling to him having been alone so long. He cleared his throat and began. “Welcome to k'ieo ascension. Ae has been sixty years in the making, and Ieo am glad for ae.” Nyoko whispered to another dragon he faintly remembered, but quieted as he began. “Ieo have chosen a traditional ascension. As such, Ieo will have the Gathering. At the Gathering, Ieo would have k'ieo family speak for Ieo.” He suddenly felt a little sheepish for saying so, as he had none to speak for him. “Unfortunately, Ieo have no family except keir a'meo, and aeo does not yet know Ieo am ascending…” he coughed, trying to relieve his own tension. “As such, Ieo cannot have the Gathering. Ieo apologize for that.”

“A'na, Iea is sure they look upon nieo now with pride this day,” the young hatchling said.
    “Ae is okay, Aus,” Ceyra tried.

A powerful voice bellowed up from the cauldron where the Sleeper once resided. “That is not so! This is a traditional ascension; there shall be a Gathering!” On powerful blue wings, a dragon ascended from the pit and hovered above the hatchling. He smiled down on him with both pride and happiness.

Ausixen stumbled backwards, hardly able to find his voice. “K-keir a'meo?” How had his grandfather known? Why… why had he come all this way?

Maekrux landed. He was greeted by those present, many who knew him well. He nodded to them in turn, before turning his attention back to his grandson, saying, “Glit’sita nien,” as if it explained everything.

“Grandfather... how- how did you know?” Ausixen asked. He did not mean to keep it a secret from his grandfather, but he was just so ashamed…

“Ieo am still known by Valkoth, aorban. Kor ascension is still important to Ieo, and so Ieo am here,” he said.

Ausixen lowered his head, his resolve fading. “Ieo could not…”

Maekrux interrupted him. As always, his grandfather knew just what he need. “D'na. Ae is not time for nieo to speak.” He turned his attention to the gathered and lifted his head proudly. “This is Ausixen Firebourne, k'ieo grandson, son of Aerioch though he has lost that tie. Ieo have watched over my grandson for many, many years. He was born into a tumultuous time, where I was a poor shell of a dragon, and where what it meant to be Dragon was being forgotten. He looked to me and others and saw what should be. He swore that he would become a Dragon: to live by the Prime Virtues, to hold his wings high.”

Did he really deserve such words, Ausixen wondered. He had tried to ascend without his grandfather.

“But he had so much hate within him, for he felt other dragons were out to wrong him. And so he cloistered himself within my lair as its caretaker. Now, in the face of hardship, he has made a difficult choice. He has choice to rise again, as a Phoenix.” Maekrux paused. He looked to his grandson and smiled. “And in doing so, he has never made this old dragon more happy. A'na, Ieo think of nieo as close to me as any of my children. A part of k'ieo family, always.”

Ausixen looked up to Maekrux and smiled. Even after all that had transpired, even after Ausixen had not been there for him… his grandfather still loved and respected him, and saw him as a Dragon.

“This hatchling is ready to ascend,” said, ending his speech. He stalked by his grandson and sat down comfortably to watch the rest of the ceremony. Shian grinned to him and whispered something, at which Maekrux chuckled.

Ausixen walked back to the center of the ledge on wobbly legs. Though his grandfather had faith in him, he was still shaken up by his arrival and the experience. “A'kei nieo, keir a'meo.” He steeled himself again, as he tried to remember every little detail of his Lifesong. “Ieo will begin the Proof now. Please bear with Ieo, as Ieo am... not a good singer in common, much less elder draconic...”

And so his song began. Although only Maekrux had any idea what he was saying, Ausixen hoped the gathered would at least feel his emotion.

Kitril loaw, si ossalura persvek vorqdi odassi
    Si ehtaha ir svaust jahus vur jahus ti
    Jaci majaka ve sia ominak: Ausixen

Si jahus ekess qe vi Embara, Sililuuth

Vur waph sia waph ios krethel

Vi sjach jahus rechan svern sia waph

Di vi jennu darastrix batobot wapha persvek slathalinir
    Jaci ankua ve svanoa ekess waph vur svanoa ekess qe
    Vur nifa sia saurivic ekess svabol si shilta ocuir

Si vorqa ekess sia odassi, svaust majaka ve itov

Vur wiqa hefoc nadot svern svern
    Shar Drulkar’s geou tepohada voga haurach persvek rasvim
    Vur jakar si theseka lae vi odassi svadria

Si wiilirka wer ergriff ir si vucata ekess qe vis

Vur yora de jacion vur claxon doege di jacida waere
    Erekess kous vur tsydani, si zexenuma ini wer ulhar
    Vur theseka lae jacida preah ehtaha ogelend ghent ogelend

Dartak persvek sia preah si jilga agantal

Di wer dartaka ithael hesi darastrix tepohada xkhat
    Thric Tiichi sia preah yscika donotreska
    Wer eorikci dolruthir hefoc wer donotreska di vi itpro

Huena tira si korth enel tenamalo

Svanoa si jika svaklar sia shishin tepohada coanwor
    Shafaer wer kear coi shio thirkua…

Ir thurkear ghorosa voga

Vi vutha di uoinota jathila
    Vin kiri tonn dartak
    Vin ti gjahalla geou

Wer Embara grapwola warui,

Waph nirescho widegoichir
    Vin sultana seilor di tawura ulnaus

Vur hak wer uoinota confna spical

Si yscika ti kagn vi vrelvel

Rigluin letoclo shafaer lyriki huena throdenilt
    Chiana tenamalo
    Froneel wielgic waoli

Froneel wielgic waoli

Thric lorit, si zulf sia okarthel

Thric jaunus svaklar sia waph ornla gethrisj
    Thric jaunus di svaklar si ornla ossalur

Inloil ini inloil si ehtaha sia geou

Ofilna coi spical onureth myvillion veditoa
    Si kagna sia altiuiri ekess wiap huena throdenilt
    Thric drong persvek preah usv navnik d’na rasvim

Si chiilipena sia / Harkt / vur jaka si zexenuma

Zahae ekess xkhat creolnali keir
    Thric drong naktada persvek sjach, diieson
    Jaka si clax sia papref sari sia cha'sid

Vur si geou waph ios krethel

At last, as the chorus changed, he bowed his head to the audience. Really, he didn’t want to look at them just yet, in case of a poor reaction. “Thank you.” At last he lifted his head and looked out at their expressions, which were not too dismal. “A'na... Now, Ieo take k'ieo greatest step.” He puffed his chest proudly, lifting his wings. This was the moment. This was his moment. “Ieo am Ausixen. Ieo am DRAGON!” He roared and activated the phylactery, a brilliant explosion of energy engulfing him. Guided by the mirror, the statue, and his own will, his body began to take shape outside his vision, growing larger, stronger. The energy filtered down into him and he absorbed it all, making it a part of him, and finalizing his form. As his new form began to appear from the swirling bubble of energy, he lifted his wings to the sky, the light from the ascension dancing in them.

The gathered roared their approval and Ausixen took to the sky, his wings acting as if they had flown all of his life. “Ah ha... this could take some getting used to,” he said, going leisurely into the air. Even his voice had changed, somehow deeper. His kyn joined him, even his grandfather.

“When Ieo ascended, Ieo did not know how to land,” Maekrux said with a chuckle.

Fortunately, Ausixen did and, after a time, he came back down to the ledge and directed his kyn to do the same. “Thank nien. Now is the time for the Revelation.” He looked to Maekrux. He did not know how his grandfather would react to this decision, but he knew it was what he needed and desired. “Ieo shall become a Champion of Drulkar. Ieo shall learn the arts of mending scale and rending enemies. There is much for Ieo to do.” He looked to Maekrux, who nodded as if accepting it. Ausixen lifted his wings proudly. “If there is any who is a priest of Drulkar or a master of the healing arts, or a master of tooth and claw, Ieo would love to speak with nien later.” Despite his grandfather’s acceptance, Nyoko seemed darkened by this revelation for some reason.

“I guess it’s not me then,” Biniki muttered.

“Now, ae is time for the Wishing of Will. Are there any who would like to share with Ieo, either words or gifts?” Ausixen asked.

Shian stepped forward. “Iea do.” He turned to her as she approached. “Iea give you tokens of strength and power for your journey to come.” She gave him a Travertine Cast Stone, a Dark Sapphire Jewelry Crystal, a Travertine Dragon Scale Pack, a Dark Ruby Jewelry Crystal, and a Pallid Jewelry Crystal of Primal. She then stepped back into place.

“Ieo thank niea for kor gift,” he said, placing them away.

Runos next stepped forward with a gift in hand and set it in front of him. She unwrapped the protective layers to show a crystal orb. It was smooth and clear with a soft radiant light like a star glowing inside it. “Nieo had been in darkness in life, and now has inner fire and light, like the orb...” She then bowed politely and returned.

Ausixen found it a thoughtful gift. “Ieo thank niea; now Ieo will cast the shadows now.”

Nyoko blinked and shook her head as she came out of her reverie. She stood and stepped forward. She padded slowly up to Auxisen and handed over her gifts with a soft, “Congratulations.”

Ausixen smiles to Nyoko. “Thank niea... k'ieo friend.” The last part he added for she said she would be his friend earlier that week.

Maekrux spotted Starstilanxs looking through his scalepack for a gift and chuckled softly. He whispered, fairly audibly to him, “D'na worry. Giving well wishes is just as important as gifts.” The red didn’t seem to listen though.

Ceyra stepped closer to the new adult and raised her voice. “Me too, I have something for you...” She paused a moment to get her breath. “Ausixen, my friend, I have no gift to offer you... But I can only give you my congratulations, and to wish you luck in your life and journey. I have no power to bless you or to do all I'd wish to do for someone as dedicated and smart as you. Instead, may Drulkar's fire always burn in you and may everything you will do be fortified in his scales you gained trough your rites. Also, may your new wings serve you well, and may the holy ancient winds always guide you. As the dawn of the old day has gone, the shine of a new one can be seen through the clouds... May it light your life and days for ever my friend, and thank you for inviting me.” She bowed her head and stepped back.

Ausixen smiled and returned the bow. “Ieo thank niea for kor wishes. Ieo shall try to live up to them, always.”

Xeffer furrowed her brow and rummaged through her scalepack, fishing out her most valuable trinkets that had been steadily collecting dust. With a decent sum gathered in a cupped wing, she leapt from her rock and trotted towards the new adult, carefully laying the objects at his feet and peering up at him with her mismatched eyes. “It is not a grand gift,” she said, “but if rending your enemies is what you wish to do, then you will need much hoard to do it. Congratulations.”

Ausixen looked to them, and then nodded to Xeffer. “Ieo remember you...” Indeed, long ago, she had taken his room in Maekrux’s lair, when his grandfather still taught. “A'na, this is true. Thank niea.”

Xeffer dipped her head gently. "Yes, I am sure you have some memory of me, heh. Good luck.” True, it was a tempestuous time in the lair, as she didn’t get along with the others. She shuffled backwards and turned, slinking back over and up to her rock and Nyoko's side.

Starstilanxs stepped forward and handed over a slice of cake and some ethereal shards, smiling softly at Ausixen, “I know these aren't the best of gifts, but they are fun! Or at least the cake is anyways, shards are just nice decorations or hoard.” The red chuckled and a little gave a wink, “It’s good to see another adult among us. I am sure you will be a great drake.”

Ausixen, thankfully, bowed his head. Given the closeness the red seemed to have to the white drake with him, he wasn’t sure how to take the wink and it was a strange moment in some ways. “Ieo thank nieo for kor gifts and kor wishes. Ieo will try to be a true Dragon, always.”

At last, Maekrux himself rose from his spot and lumbered over to the new adult. Ausixen still looked up to him. “Ieo know what it is nieo truly want.” Ausixen folded his earfins back. Was there nothing he could hide from his grandfather? “Ieo know what it feels like to walk that path. And it is a dangerous one. Putting kor faith in Drulkar is... well, it wouldn't have been my choice, but I understand why you do it. Facing down Maurger is something I will not do. But… I will aid you. When you are ready, come to me, and I will craft you a claw that you will need.”

Biniki gasped at the name. She looked to Ausixen in fear, causing Ceyra to censure her. “What are you all afraid of? A monster is a monster, and Drulkar is still watching us.” Biniki did not reply to her, though. Nyoko shook her head; a slight frown crossed her features at the mention of Maurger, but she quickly cleared it away.

Ausixen lowered his head respectfully. “Thank nieo, keir a'meo... Ieo will need help.” With that Maekrux returned to his seat. “Ieo thank nien for coming to k'ieo ascension. May Drulkar bless nien always, may the Primewind fill kor wings, and may you always try to be Dragon. Ieo shall begin k'ieo tasks. Good luck nien.” With that, the Purple Phoenix flew from the ledge and into the sky.
    "Resurgam!"

(The translation of the song. When I wrote it, I did so first in English and I played with the rhyme scheme. The better it rhymes, the more Ausixen's life is together, and where the rhyme stops, his life is sort of broken by whatever is happening. Unfortunately, that didn't translate well to Draconic, so... maybe it'll make more sense now ; p )

Born alone, I wandered in search of family
    I found one who was and was not
    He gave me my name: Ausixen

I was to be a Phoenix, Violet
    And live my life without regret

A shadow was cast over my life
    Of a great dragon that lived in strife
    He taught me how to live and how to be
    And opened my eyes to what I could see

I looked to my parents, who gave me love
    And towered like blueprints up above
    But Drulkar’s will had another fate in store
    And soon I watched as a family tore

I followed the only one I knew to be true
    And learned from him and took care of his lair
    Through thick and thin, I stood by the blue
    And watched as his heart found betrayer after betrayer

Hate in my heart I carried always
    Of the hated wyrm our race had become
    No Honor my heart could graze
    The years passing like the beat of a drum

Once did I risk trust again
    How I wonder where my mind had been
    On the day it all changed…

One night preceded another
    A black of hellish zeal
    An insurmountable ire
    An indomitable will

The Phoenix grew ill,
    Life complicated still
    An endless set of compromises

And then the hell returned

I could not lift a paw
    Relying on others once more
    Betrayed again
    Everything falls apart

Everything falls apart

Disillusioned, I left my home
    Unsure where my life would go
    Unsure of where I would roam

Piece by piece I found my will
    Weaved it back under winter chill
    I lifted my wings to fly once more
    No longer in heart or spirit poor

I completed my rites and now I stand
    About to become something grand
    No longer kept in shadow, bland
    Now I take my future into my own hand

And I will live without regret
    "Resurgam!"

(Part 6 and the final part of Phoenix in Shadow. It's the conversation he has with Shian right after the ascension. It's kinda a new dawn for him, which is a good thing. Thank you everyone who made this possible, was a part of it, and have read it.)

His wings were light, but his heart was heavy. Now he was an adult; now he had a responsibility to his kyn, a responsibility that he, perhaps, should have taken sooner. He wondered if he would be able to fulfill that responsibility, live up to the Code of the Champions which he himself barely yet knew, and see justice done to the one who had harmed his family so greatly.

While he was thinking on his responsibility, he remembered he promised to talk with Shian. He soon sought her out atop a snowy mountain. “You wished to speak with Ieo?” he asked, breaking her from her reprieve. He wondered if this had to do with being the one who took Nidhogg away from his mother.

“Yes well…” she trailed off, taking a deep breath. “I was impressed with your methods. I suppose I saw something of myself in you the day you entered the circle and presented your orb. I figured a normal ascension gift for you would not be as appropriate, so I gave you the strongest materials of craft that I can make.”

“Ieo appreciate it, Elder,” he said, bowing his head once more.

“When I was a hatchling I wanted nothing more than to be strong and stand on my own against the wars my elders told me. The battle of Tazoon, the Centopha war... In those days the circle was just as likely to raise you as your own A'mea and A'meo.” She chuckled, but Ausixen didn’t. He remembered those times, for he was a hatchling much the same year she was. “I remember a very young adult once asked where to find iron. Young as I was, brought up by the circle to believe one had to wait and grow strong before one truly earns their wings, I thought this adult should know where such a material was.”

Ausixen nodded. He agreed with this, then and still now.

“I made the mistake of voicing this in front of the circle and was immediately chided for asking such a thing. Despite what the others felt, I felt embarrassment for this adult. For ones that preach of 'earning wings,' would not that knowledge also be part of it? I did my part. I ran all over Istaria, wherever my feet would take me, gaining seasons and strength. I believed that the wars of old would repeat and soon.”

Ausixen had done this as well, though he had become more insular when the community itself seemed to turn against his grandfather, to say nothing of the slight done to him by his parents.

“My A'mea at first really disliked what I was doing, for it often left me between the deadlands and a Blight hound, but I refused to be a weak hatchling that needed to be defended. The war, of course, or at least the one I had envisioned never came. Today there are so many hatchlings ascending, barely out of the shell. Ignorant like the adult I encountered so long ago.”

Ausixen nodded, but he wasn’t sure what to make of her message yet.

“Not their fault though. Not many today who know of old traditions. The circle no longer guides hatchlings and most grow without parents at all. Young, weak, die quickly to even creatures you had stood alone against. It was refreshing to see one that even in these times there is at least one that knows and remembers.”

Ausixen felt a little pride at this, but he held it back, as he tried to find her meaning.

“But even the young adults grow. They learn in time.” She smiled a moment and shook her head. “Anyways, enough of this old dragon's ramblings. Oh, I found these. I was reminded when Maekrux mentioned you guarding his lair.” She handed two completed scrolls to him, of Nelthorr’s and Allathos’s journeys through a young Istaria.

“Thank niea… Ieo will treasure them,” he said. She welcomed him. He paused a moment before looking up from the journals. His mind was still on her words before. He had a responsibility now, more than others even, because he was a dragon who knew the old traditions and tried to live by them. “Shian, do niea think Ieo will make a difference?”

Shian answered, “Everybody makes a difference. I have been called many things for my views, from crazy to an ‘Icon of Istaria.’ While everybody makes a difference, everyone also has different views on what that difference is. What others think of you should not matter though. It is what you believe yourself to be that is important.”

Ausixen shook his head. On this point, he knew differently; it was only in seeing his actions against those of others that he was able to make the right decisions. “D'na. What others think is important, but ae is not the only thing important.” He looked to her. She was reflecting silently on his words or the day, he could not tell. “Ieo d'na understand k'ieo once-father much but... Ieo think Ieo see in niea what aeo did.” He didn’t know what possessed him to say it, but he felt he had to.

She did not reply to him, at least not directly. She looked a bit saddened at this for some reason. “Thank you, Ausixen and for listening. For now, I think Iea will rest if you don't need anything else.”

Ausixen furrowed his brow. It was not his intention to sadden her. “Well, Ieo d'na need anything, but... niea seem sad now.”

She smiled at him, but any could see through it as a cheap imitation. Perhaps she too had been hurt as he had. “Congratulations again. Hope your wings keep their wind and your claws stay sharp.” And she left, then, flying off into the cold, snowy wind.

Ausixen watched her as she left, and he understood the weight of the responsibility on his shoulders. And he understood how alone he would be in this burden.

But he smiled then, and lifted his wings. Though others might be ignorant of the burden of adulthood, he was not. He had much work to do indeed. He flew off towards the warm sun, planning the great many steps he would soon have to take.
    "Resurgam!"

*sniffs and wipes a tear from her eyes at Keir A'meo attending Ausixen's ascension*

awp, does an ol'dragon's heart good to hear of such things...
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

That was remarkable, very well done; I quite enjoyed it! It has much meaning behind it; I can see the heart and effort put into this, not just by you, but by everyone who associated with you ^-^ The lifesong, I think would be my favorite part. Congratulations on your ascension, Ausixen!

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Thank you kindly! I had a lot of fun with this story, and it's still building to another conclusion. It'll be awhile before I'm ready for that one though.
    "Resurgam!"

Thread Information